Secret of the Ruby Ring

Secret of the Ruby Ring

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  171 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Lucy, a rather spoiled almost-eleven-year-old, gets a very special birthday present from her grandmother. This gift, a star ruby ring, has been passed down for generations through Lucy's family. The evening before her birthday, Lucy accidently discovers the magical secret of the ring: "The secret of this Ruby Ring Is that two wished it can bring" Twisting the ring and maki...more
Published February 1st 2002 by Anvil Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Secret of the Ruby Ring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret of the Ruby Ring

Marjorie
A prize-winning space and time story written by an Irish author. A girl's wish on a magic ring sends her back in time to an Irish castle in 1885. In the course of the story I learned a lot about conditions in Ireland at that time (not pleasant) and about the life of servants and their masters in the great houses. An interesting, enjoyable read.
Karyn
I read this with my children. It was a fun story, but parts were difficult to read with them. There were some long political discussions that we did not like and skipped through. Since I know nothing of Irish politics in the 1809's, it was confusing & boring. Besides that, I loved the story and the lessons learned by the main character.
Ali
In "The Secret of the Ruby Ring," the main character, Lucy is given a ring. However, this isn't just any old ring. This ring was given to her by her grandmother. While playing around with it, Lucy discovered that something was not right. She had discovered the magic in it. Just then she was transported back in time to the 1800s, where she would soon discover what it was like living as a maid...

One connection I can make is text-to-text. In the book "Copper Sun," the main character was taken from...more
Hollowspine
I got this book one Christmas from my aunt along with a ruby ring of my own. Although it wasn't magical like Lucy's I did love wearing it.

Lucy starts out as a typical spoiled little girl, she begins the novel by betraying her best friends secret to the entire school, fighting with her brother and overall acting very selfishly. However, by the end of the novel everything has turned around for her.

Lucy is about to turn 11 so her grandmother hands down a ring she also got when she was nearing 11 ye...more
Bebie Jane
i love the story of The Secret of the Ruby Ring,it catches my interest, and my favorite part of this book is the part 13: "The Past Remembered". when Lucy already returned in her real world, and realized all her mistakes, because at the beginning of the story Lucy was a spoiled girl that gets anything she wanted, betraying her best friends secret and fighting with her brother.

..the only thing i don't like is the name "Spencer",i got to confused on it, because the name Spencer is masculine but it...more
Summer
A delightful kids book set in Ireland. Talks a lot about life and politics in Ireland in the 1880s, but weaves it into the story well.
AlixJamie
I found a snippet about this book in the back of another book that I had read and had wanted to get it for a long time. I finally found it and was excited to find that it was true to what I had heard. Besides being a humorous page-turner, this book also provides an in depth lesson in Irish history and a very detailed and highly informative description of Victorian era life; from the lavish living of the wealthy to the destitution of the poor. A highly recommended and extrodinarily interesting r...more
Nova Gianfrancesco
i loved that in this book it showed a lesson. The lesson is to not always be greedy and selfish . The main character of the book, was selfish and greedy and then her grandmother gave her a ruby ring for her birthday and she did not think it was anything other than a ring and tyhen it transported her back into time. I think this was a great book because it showed a lesson!
Kristin
Historical fiction about a young girl who mistakenly goes back in time and learns to appreciate her own life in the process. Good framing, well written young girl growing up story. I learned lots about Ireland and it's history, where the story is set. Fun reversal of roles.
Corina

Uhfhffhfurjtguibkcchrjfhfugncighgickhhcnbckjgnjvbbvbvvjjcjvjvjvjvjvjvjvjv jfjnggncjngjvnrnkigbjbkkhkbmgjitogitjgjtjtiwjqwwerrlltyuiopplkmmnmkjjhgfffdssaszzxxcccvvvbbbnnmmqazxswedcvfrtgbnhyujmkilpo
Emma
I love this book, and I did a book club study on it (reading it for the second time). I love the history in it, and the plot, but it is not as deep as it could be (especially the characters.)
Karen
An absorbing story that mixes fantasy and historical fiction; very interesting conceptually. The timeless theme of being thankful for what you have is explored.
Gillie
if there was a less than one star, i would have rated it that, not good at all, unless you were looking for historical fiction, but it's not exciting
Ariel
Awww.. My mom read this to me when I was little.. I didn't know that there was a sequil though I'll have to hunt those down and read them..
Sara Byrne
I got this book for Christmas when I was 12 and it has really stuck with me. I would highly recommend it for young teenage girls!
Heather
Irish, sweet and old-fashioned with a little history. Nice recommendation for parents looking for a book to read aloud.
Joanne McClean
I remember reading this as a kid and it always stuck with me. I just think I may have to have a wee re-read.
Brianna
Historical Fiction/Fantasy.
Dmmontano
Libro perfecto para niñas
Chris
Chris added it
Sep 02, 2014
Rachelmck
Rachelmck marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Maham
Maham marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Kristi Vegh
Kristi Vegh marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Yvonne MacGrory was born and still lives in County Donegal, Ireland. She is the author of The Secret of the Ruby Ring, Emma and the Ruby Ring, Martha and the Ruby Ring, and The Ghost of Susannah Parry. She worked as a nurse in Dublin and London and now lives with her husband and three children. Her interests are reading, drawing, and gardening.
More about Yvonne MacGrory...
Emma and the Ruby Ring Martha and the Ruby Ring The Quest for the Ruby Ring The Ghost of Susannah Parry