Start by marking “The Silent Stranger: A Kaya Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)” as Want to Read:
The Silent Stranger: A Kaya Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)

The Silent Stranger: A Kaya Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  734 ratings  ·  22 reviews
As Kaya's village prepares for the winter, an injured stranger arrives. The young woman doesn't speak, and no one can reach her but Kaya's beloved dog, Tatlo. Includes a tear-off bookmark that lets girls match the animals in the story with their tracks, just like Kaya. Illustrations. Consumable."
Published March 1st 2005 by American Girl Publishing Inc

To ask other readers questions about The Silent Stranger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silent Stranger

Meet Samantha by Susan S. AdlerMeet Addy by Connie Rose PorterMeet Felicity by Valerie TrippMeet Molly by Valerie TrippChanges for Molly by Valerie Tripp
An American Girl
83rd out of 127 books — 45 voters
From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. KonigsburgThe Westing Game by Ellen RaskinEncyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective by Donald J. SobolThe Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn KeeneThe Magic of Finkleton by K.C. Hilton
Mysteries for 2nd-7th graders
53rd out of 60 books — 63 voters

More lists with this book...

Alice
After finishing the Kaya series, my kids wanted more, so I got this through inter-library loan. This book is written on a slightly higher reading level than the ones from the series, with maybe twice as many pages. I had to explain a few vocabulary words to my 7 and 8 year olds, but they had no problem following the basic story. All of my children (7-12) enjoyed the story and its suspense. As a more experienced reader, it seemed predictable to me, but they were surprised at what happened and hap ...more
Ciara
i got a big stack of american girl mysteries from the public library & have been reading them. i'm not sure what i think of them. on the one hand, it's nice to get another story about these characters beyond their six introductory books. it helps to flesh out their lives, personalities, habits, relationships, & environments. on the other hand, the mysteries seem to be a little bit complex for children & are often solved thanks to a deus ex machina.

this is the one & only kaya myst
Rebecca
7 of 8 people found the following review helpful:
Great mystery for Kaya fans., February 24, 2005

Kaya and her band of Nez Perce Indians have settled into their winter home in the Salmon River Country, and are preparing for the upcoming winter Spirit Dances. One day, two of Kaya's cousins find an injured young woman lost in the wilderness. They bring her back to the village. Kaya names the stranger Hawk Woman, and is determined to reach her. But Hawk Woman refuses to communicate and seems lost
Mike
I really enjoyed reading this book. Historical fiction is my favorite genre in books and movies. The book was exciting, interesting, and easy to read. I was happy to learn a few things about the Nez Perce culture and native american culture in general. One really interesting thing is that native Americans of different tribes were able to communicate through sign language. A few times Kaya attempts to "throw" words with her hands to her mysterious visitor. I also really enjoyed the photos and his ...more
Ashley
Kaya's village is preparing for the powerful winter Spirit Dances when an injured stranger arrives. She doesn't speak, and no one can reach her but Kaya's beloved dog, Tatlo. Who is the stranger, and why is she so silent and alone? Kaya searches for clues, but she must look deep inside her own heart to truly understand.

About The Author:
Each night when Janet Shaw was a girl, she took out a flashlight and book hidden under her pillow until she fell asleep. She and her brother liked to act out stor
Kyra
Apr 10, 2013 Kyra added it
I really enjoyed this book. I love the Kaya series, so when I found this book at a mall I knew I had to buy it.

The book is about Kaya who is getting ready with her tribe Nez Perce for the spirit dances. The book begins with a woman that is injured and was brought by Kaya's younger twin brothers; Wing Feather and Sparrow. The stranger cannot speak, make signs, and her hands are burned badly. Kaya wants to help the stranger in any way she can, but the strange lady shrugs her help and sorrow away.
Megan Carmody
Absolutely boring. Nothing happens in the first half of the book and barely anything happens in the second half. I found this shocking because I liked all of the other American girl novels but this one is a no. Even though I am much to old for these stories I wouldn't even want to read it to a younger child or give it as a gift because they would hate me for giving them an awful boring present. The only thing that did actually happen was the pointless killing of a dog, that didn't even need to b ...more
Amanda Wheet
Standard American Girl fare, although it is one of the first mysteries. It's suprising Kaya even has a mystery since she is so often shafted by the privileged young girls who would rather have Samantha.

Shaw has written all of the Kaya books and this is like a remix of them. The plotline includes the standards of Kaya mourning Swan Circling, one of Kaya's animals misbehaving, and Kaya asking her elders a crap load of unanswerable questions.

Decent, and a nice addition to Kaya's world. Three stars.
Callie Stillion
Kaya meets a stranger and it`s hands are burnt and everyone is afraid. Finally Kaya asks and her Grandmother says, 'Her spirit is most likely hurt and she needs comfort. Just leave her alone unless you find it necessary.' Kaya follows this... and then one day the stranger is missing. Can Kaya find her? Or is she now alone?
Jess
Kaya's village is preparing for the powerful winter spirit dances when an injured stranger arrives. She doesn't speak, and no one can reach her but Kaya's beloved dog, Tatlo. Who is the stranger, and why is she so silent and alone? Kaya searches for clues, but she must look deep inside her own heart to truly understand.
Julie
We (Alyssa, Kara, and I) read the whole Kaya series (6 short and this last one a little longer) in Sept. and Oct. and loved it. I was entertained and educated throughout. I'm sold on the American Girl books. We're going to read them all probably by the end of the school year, if not by February.
Kristine Pratt
A stranger comes to Kaya's people but doesn't seem to want help, though she's obviously looking for something. Kaya resolves to find the answer of what this woman wants and why she keeps taking Kaya's dog. She grows up a lot in the process. Interesting story.
Breann
I didn't think this was the best book in the world because it just wasn't my type, it wasn't adventurous and mysterious enough. It may be okay for some people but it just wasn't my type of book.
Edna Little Fish In Running Waters Spring
I learned what it is like and what you can learn by being "silent".
I, also, learned some Nez Perce Customs and words, where and how they lived. So different from the Iroquois.
Meadow
When Kaya's tribe finds a women out in the snow who's hands are badly burned and has lost her voice Kaya tries to find out where she came from and why she is here.
Hot*cheetos*303
this book was very detailed. so it was like the author was painting a picture in my head!!
Violet
On an old reading list...estimated to have been read in 2006.

I loved this AG mysteries....
Savvy Jones
It was a good book. I recommend to all who like mysteries.
Shimmywith4
Every bit as good as the series was.
Dani
I read this six times five years ago
Brenna
The best Kaya book ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tina
It was a great Kaya Mystery!
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Jojo
Jojo marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
  • Trouble at Fort Lapointe (American Girl History Mysteries, #7)
  • A Spy on the Home Front: A Molly Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Peril at King's Creek: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Light in the Cellar: A Molly Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Shadows on Society Hill: An Addy Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Nellie's Promise (American Girls: Samantha, #7)
  • Hoofbeats of Danger (American Girl History Mysteries, #2)
  • The Cry of the Loon: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Under Copp's Hill (American Girl History Mysteries, #8)
  • The Tangled Web: A Julie Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Shadows in the Glasshouse (American Girl History Mysteries, #10)
Meet Kirsten: An American Girl (American Girls: Kirsten, #1) Kirsten's Boxed Set (The American Girls Collection/Boxed Set) Kirsten's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #3) Happy Birthday, Kirsten: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #4) Kirsten Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #2)