Start by marking “Shadowrun (Second Edition)” as Want to Read:
Shadowrun (Second Edition)

Shadowrun (Second Edition)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  687 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Shadowrun (2nd Edition) is the main rulebook needed to play second edition Shadowrun, and it's essential for anyone who wants to Gamemaster it. It includes all the rules necessary to play the game, and is a good improvement over the first edition rules, including as it does most of the improvements and rules expansions published between 1989 and 1992.
Hardcover, Second Edition, 295 pages
Published 1992 by FASA Entertainment (first published December 31st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Shadowrun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadowrun

David Sarkies
Nov 09, 2015 David Sarkies rated it liked it
Shelves: game
A Dark Future Where Magic has Returned
8 March 2012

This game was really cool, though unfortunately like many roleplaying games complexity is the rule. However it was unique in many ways, and it is that uniqueness that pretty much catapults this game to the top of the game ladder. In a way it surpasses Dungeons and Dragons, but with me Dungeons and Dragons always has a place in my heart. The reason I say this is because Dungeons and Dragons was designed as and has always been, a very generic fant
Jed
Jul 03, 2012 Jed rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: nobody - read 5th ed now
Recommended to Jed by: I don't recall, but I'd like to thank that person
Shadowrun 2nd Edition was my first introduction to the game system. I loved it! There were elements of that world, including the resurgence of magic and the reintroduction of "meta-humans" (orks, trolls, elves, dwarves) that really piqued my interest, coming from AD&D.

The system itself is very good for fast-paced action, but not that great for the parts that I really wanted it to be good at: the technology aspects like riggers (drone drivers) and deckers (future hackers). The tech problems a
Chris
Apr 02, 2007 Chris rated it really liked it
After Rolemaster, the game that defined my weekends as a teenager. To this day I love the premise, the world, the dark, gritty blend of fantasy and near-future sci-fi that works so much better than it seems it should. System wise, I still feel that the 2nd edition magic system is one of the best ever. Its loose, free-form, and alows the user to amplify power on a near unlimited level, at a high cost of risk and possible death. And of course the net-running rules are quick and intuitive as well. ...more
Carl Klutzke
May 04, 2014 Carl Klutzke rated it really liked it
Amazing setting. But I hated the rules. And the inclusion of cyber space and astral space in the setting meant that some players were going to twiddle their thumbs waiting because they couldn't go there.
Alessandra
Oh my, I remember the cyber-future of 1992. It was all dark and cynical. The Japanese were going to rule the world. All the computers and the people were going to be connected with physical wires. The worldwide network of computers was called the Matrix; you fought virtually in the Grid. Not to mention the big, big hair.

Well, I enjoyed playing it, anyhow.
Devin
Jan 11, 2008 Devin rated it really liked it
Shelves: rpgs
Despite my fears that mixing fantasy with cyberpunk would create a mess, I found that I liked this game more than R. Talsorian's original Cyberpunk RPG. The thought and consistent details put into the setting really worked well to create a vibrant and evocative world. I was never really able to get a handle on the setting, though, which always seemed overly complex to me.
David Winston
Mar 29, 2013 David Winston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yes
Best Futuristic game on the market!
Wayne Seeger
Wayne Seeger rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2016
Yuri Alvarez
Yuri Alvarez rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2016
Bernard Wright
Bernard Wright rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2016
Christopher Kidder-mostrom
Christopher Kidder-mostrom rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2016
Ariel Rosenfeld
Ariel Rosenfeld rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Todd Rokely
Todd Rokely rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2016
Rich Driscoll
Rich Driscoll rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Ben
Ben rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Maurício Linhares
Maurício Linhares rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Samantha O'Brien
Samantha O'Brien rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2016
Wade
Wade rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2016
G
G rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2016
Ian Fletcher
Ian Fletcher rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Genford
Genford rated it it was amazing
Alan
Alan added it
Kei
Kei rated it really liked it
Andrew Franke
Andrew Franke rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
Marylittlegoth
Marylittlegoth rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Joseph Hergert
Joseph Hergert rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2016
Kym
Kym marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Marc Travé
Marc Travé rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2016
  • Shadowrun (Fourth Edition)
  • Shadowrun
  • GURPS Basic Set (Third Edition)
  • Werewolf: The Apocalypse
  • Mage: The Ascension: Pride, Power, Paradox: A Storytelling Game of Reality on the Brink
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Other Strangeness
  • Player's Handbook (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition, Stock #2101)
  • Rifts
  • Find Your Own Truth (Shadowrun: Secrets of Power, #3)
  • Player's Handbook Rules Supplement: The Complete Thief's Handbook (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition, Stock #2111)
  • Mage: The Ascension Revised Edition
  • Robotech Role-Playing Game
  • Vampire: The Dark Ages
  • Werewolf: The Apocalypse (Revised Edition)
  • Cyberpunk: The Roleplaying Game of the Dark Future
  • Dungeons and Dragons Basic Rules
  • Player's Handbook (Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition)
  • The Complete Bard's Handbook (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, 2nd Edition, Player's Handbook Rules Supplement/PHBR7)