Start by marking “Frank Miller's RoboCop” as Want to Read:
Frank Miller's RoboCop

Frank Miller's RoboCop

3.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  345 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
"Robocop" was one of the truly great bits of movie and pop culture magic from the 1980s, and Frank Miller wanted to deliver a masterpiece with his original movie script, but Hollywood massively edited his work. In full-on action, the "Robocop" story is told as Frank Miller always intended, composed straight from the master's original writings and scripts! The vast majority ...more
Published February 13th 2007 by Avatar Press Inc (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Frank Miller's RoboCop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frank Miller's RoboCop

J K
Jan 14, 2015 J K rated it it was ok
Wanted to like this, but it's just not that interesting - feels very early nineties, just like the Robocop 2 film which borrowed elements from the original Frank Miller script that this is based on. So it's sort of a Director's Cut...but while the women by turns look ridiculously pneumatic, and Robocop is left to punch and weep, it simply felt over the top. This is done more conivncingly, with a bit more of the original films heart (if you cared to look) by the more recent comic series out at th ...more
Bradley
Nov 07, 2015 Bradley rated it liked it
This is Frank Miller’s version of Robocop 2 (and partially 3). Hollywood in their ‘infinite wisdom’ deemed it unworthy to produce accurately so made quite a few alterations, ending up with the Robocop 2 movie we all know today. I think this was a great opportunity to see how Frank Miller’s movie would have played out and was looking forward to reading when I picked it up. He certainly tries to keep the satirical social commentary that made the original movie so appealing. The artwork in this is ...more
Jim
Mar 06, 2014 Jim rated it did not like it
This would of been frank millers version of RoboCop 2 and it really shows that he has no fucking clue how to write RoboCop its like he just watched all the violent scenes in the 1st film and thats how he wrote the character he basically left out the heart and soul of Alex murphy and just put in mindless violence there was a scene with his wife but it was pointless and added no depth to the character the artwork is fucking atrocious the story well i dont think you can call this a fucking story it ...more
Stefano Black
Apr 28, 2015 Stefano Black rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one ever
A complete waste of time. Frank Miller insists Hollywood "ruined" his "vision" for RoboCop 2 & 3, and supposedly this represents that vision in comic book form.

The art is terrible, the portrayals include all kinds of offensive stereotypes (typical of Miller), the heart and hidden social progressivism of Verhoeven's original film are lost in all the bloodbaths, and worst of all: it's BORING.

If you fashion yourself the big bad boss man of gritty, pulpy, phallic adventure fiction, your mindless
Mars Dorian
Oct 05, 2015 Mars Dorian rated it really liked it
Shelves:
3.7 stars.

I Found this gem at my local library and loved it.

Summary: It's one bloody, unrelenting action epos in a futuristic, dystopian Detroit where a megacorp called OCP and urban crime warfare reigns supreme. Robocop still has his hero reputation but faces new challenges that want to destroy him.

The Art: Ugly characters with weird poses, but gorgeous and gritty super-details that show every dent, bullet-hole and explosion pattern. The highlights: Robocop's first person view, reminiscent of
Cameron
Feb 17, 2015 Cameron rated it it was ok
As much as like Miller's comics, I am glad Hollywood has the sense to intervene with his movie scripts.

I can see where bits and pieces of the story were raided for the Robocop II & III screen plays - it is the weaker squatters vs mercenaries elements that went into Robocop III (which does not really stack up to I & II) - I reckon the war on drugs theme hollywood went for was more exciting and keeping with the first film.

That said, some of the truly gold moments of Robocop II are straight
João Pena
Feb 16, 2015 João Pena rated it it was ok
Duas estrelas generosas: Hollywood nunca se devia ter fiado no escriba de BD Frank Miller para escrever a sequela de um dos filmes mais amados de sempre pelos fãs da ficção distópica/Cyberpunk. Admito, portanto, que prefiro o filme à Graphic Novel.
"Robocop 2" está longe de merecer o louvor merecido pelo primeiro filme da saga, mas pelo menos entretém, ainda que de forma um pouco rudimentar. "Robocop" de Frank Miller aborrece: é uma BD povoada de clichês, histérica e escatológica, escrita por um
Albert Yates
It's been years since I thought about Robocop at all. I remember seeing the movies when I was a kid and thinking how cool they were. We'd go outside, pretending to be Robocop every chance we got.

The story written by Miller is quite well done and full of surprises. I didn't realize that Miller has originally written the script for Robocop 2 but the rewrites took it in another direction. This book is the story that Miller originally wanted to portray in the screen.

The art was hard to distinguish
Dmitry Yakovenko
Oct 17, 2012 Dmitry Yakovenko rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Комикс на самом деле прекрасный. Он полностью лишен каких-либо минусов и до отвала накормлен плюсами. По сути, сюжет в комиксе - это сборная солянка из сюжетов второго и третьего фильмов, только рисованная история получилась намного серьезнее, мрачнее и брутальнее своих собратьев с больших экранов. Кровь и ругань льется со страниц ведрами, а сама история является просто рассадником безграничного отчаяния. Нет никакого светлого будущего, это сказочки для детей. Все что есть - это отвратительный, ...more
Rick
Sep 17, 2013 Rick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
By the end of the 1980s, Frank Miller reigned as one of the most respected creators within comics. Not surprisingly given the similarities between the mediums, he soon received opportunities to work in film.

Miller's big opportunity arrived with Robocop 2. The first Robocop movie, a low budget sf actioneer directed by the then virtually unknown Paul Verhoeven, proved wildly popular. Due to a writer's strike, the studio contacted Miller, fresh from his success of Batman: The Dark Knight Returns ,
Lars
Dec 29, 2015 Lars rated it liked it
This is a solid book. Frank Miller's grit, violence, and objectification of women are on display as usual (though the role of women in the book is not uncomplicated), and there are a few interesting plot and dialogue developments. But 1) The story doesn't really do anything interesting and 2) The detritus that fills most of the images genuinely prevents the reader from understanding what's going on. It's not visceral, it's cluttered. So visually, the book gives you a headache, in a bad way.
Tim
Nov 10, 2014 Tim rated it liked it
Pretty good. I see the potential for how good a movie could have been from the original script, but this didn't realize that potential. In addition to story issues, I wasn't a big fan of the artwork for this series. I'll give it credit for being unique, but it was visually unappealing, imo. That, and the blatant fanservice were detractors for me. (Did the antagonist really have to be dressed in a sexy business suit, sans bra? Did Lewis really need to have her clothes strategically cut off in a k ...more
One Flew
Jul 02, 2014 One Flew rated it it was ok
I would have given this a higher rating but this book was all style no substance. The book is practically one long action sequence with a clumsy attempt at social commentary in between. The art is great and the actions scenes are cool, but that's about as far as it goes. Similar to an action block buster with zero intellectual content but plenty of explosions.
Steven Shinder
Dec 16, 2015 Steven Shinder rated it it was ok
Though it has been years since I have seen RoboCop 2, I am fairly certain that I found Frank Miller's original interpretation to be less enjoyable. The story is repetitive and the artwork feels very messy and cluttered. Perhaps it would have LOOKED better as a film, but the story itself may not have been improved if that were the only difference.
Angel
Oct 18, 2008 Angel rated it really liked it
This was really good. This is how Frank Miller actually intended Robocop to be, and it is definitely much better than anything in the movies. Not only the action, but the dark humor we know so well, are present in this collection. Fans of Robocop should definitely check this out. The talk show character is reminiscent of a blend of Dr. Phil and Jerry Springer with some Nancy Grace thrown in for good measure. Not to mention that Anne, Robocop's partner, looks a lot hotter here than in the movies ...more
Eric Hartman
Feb 21, 2014 Eric Hartman rated it it was ok
Honestly Frank...if THIS was the Robocop movie you wanted to make, then you have some serious issues. Not a very entertaining story, even with the level of violence, and it doesn't develop ore xtend the Murphy portion of Robocop. Ic an't believe I wasted 25 minutes reading this.
Brandon
Feb 09, 2014 Brandon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, from a cinema-historical/science fiction standpoint. Not the world's best graphic novel, but superior to the movie sequels in a few ways.

Office Lewis is almost more of a badass than Robocop.
Ben Guilfoy
Aug 13, 2015 Ben Guilfoy rated it did not like it
Bad. Bad script, terrible artwork. Like, laughing and rolling your eyes bad. The "Robocop 2" movie isn't very good, but it's better than this mess.
Mitch Gage
Oct 26, 2014 Mitch Gage rated it really liked it
Good stuff. Frank Miller's vision for Robocop 2. Was interesting to see what bits actually made it into the movie. I really loved the art. Really.
Jamie
Aug 06, 2015 Jamie rated it liked it
Typical Frank Miller. Over the top in a preachy way rather than being tongue in cheek or sarcastic.
John Henery
Jun 08, 2014 John Henery rated it it was amazing
This is based on Frank Millers original scrip for Robocop 2. It's a very good very bloody story!
James Stewart Macaulay Parker
Interesting to see what Robocop 2 could have been. Enjoyed it but didn't love it.
Abel López
Dec 16, 2015 Abel López rated it it was amazing
I really like this book , I find a very interesting story.
Gautam Surath
Nov 11, 2015 Gautam Surath rated it did not like it
If you set the barrier high thinking this was Miller, then you were right to. HOwever, this appears to have been one of Miller's bad writing days so do forgive him and move on.
Nigel Carroll
Fun to read.
Brett
Jan 02, 2013 Brett rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
A Graphic Novel that was more reminiscent of the late 90s then 2007. The artwork is focused far to much on the violence and showing all the details in gruesome scenes. The half naked female lead always has the scraps of her outfit better drawn then most other parts. Frank Miller has done much better work then this, its simplistic violence.
Jon
Sep 30, 2011 Jon rated it liked it
Not bad. Mostly revolves around violence and pictures of extremely well endowed women. The character development largely isn't as interesting as the movie and the psychotics are pushed to the edge of unbelievability. On the other hand, it was a good quick read. T
Peter
2.5 stars. The plot was lagging and repetitive. I think Robocop was fixed four or five times in the span of 8 issues. There was also a wierd seduction scene that involved a crazy lady and a robot. I guess this series and me are not compatible.
Aman Ashraff
Sep 25, 2013 Aman Ashraff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Filled with grit, gore and menace, this is the Robocop you wished was made into a movie, back in the 80's. To paraphrase Murphy himself, "Dead or alive, you'll love this book, creep!"
  • Star Wars: Boba Fett - Enemy of the Empire
  • Tron: Betrayal
  • The Surrogates
  • Concrete Park Volume 1
  • Punisher Noir
  • Luke Cage Noir
  • Alien
  • B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth, Vol. 6: The Return of the Master (B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth, #6)
  • Batman/Aliens
  • Appleseed: The Scales of Prometheus (Appleseed, #3)
  • The Best of Ray Bradbury
  • Star Wars Omnibus: X-Wing Rogue Squadron, Vol. 1
  • Blackgas
  • The Matrix Comics, Vol. 1
  •  Storm (Book Market Edition)
  • Teen Titans, Vol. 3: Death of the Family
  • Iron Man Noir
  • The Best of the Spirit
Frank Miller is an American writer, artist and film director best known for his film noir-style comic book stories. He is one of the most widely-recognized and popular creators in comics, and is one of the most influential comics creators of his generation. His most notable works include Sin City, The Dark Knight Returns, Batman Year One and 300.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the
More about Frank Miller...