Deadly Valentine (Death on Demand, #6)

Deadly Valentine (Death on Demand #6)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  728 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Mystery bookstore owner Annie Laurance didn't really want to go to her neighbor's Valentine Day masked ball -- particularly not after the voluptuous brunette made a pass at Annie's husband, Max. So when her dizzy mother-in-law, Laurel, made a surprise visit to Broward's Rock Island, Annie thought it would be a perfect excuse to skip the party. She should have known better:...more
Published January 1st 1991 by Crimeline (first published September 1990)

Shirley Worley
I chose Deadly Valentine for it's holiday theme, but just couldn't seem to fall in love with it. I have read many of Carolyn Hart's books and this was my least favorite.

The Good: I liked the plot well enough to keep reading. The cast of characters were varied and interesting while the mother-in-law was just quirky enough to keep things lively. The ending was a welcome surprise.

The Bad: Although Annie owns a mystery book store, I found the constant references to mystery titles, authors, and char...more
Margaret
Annie & Max Darling have just moved into their new home. They have a lot of interesting neighbors, especially Sydney Cahill who goes after every man she meets, including Max. Annie is not too interested in going to Sydney's Valentine party, but Max's mother comes to visit & decides that it would be great fun for the 3 of them to attend the party. When Sydney turns up murdered, there are no lack of suspects since she was involved w/ most of the neighborhood men & there are many jealou...more
Alannah Davis
Another good cozy mystery in Carolyn Hart's Death on Demand series. Broward Rock's resident amateur sleuth and mystery bookstore owner, Annie Darling, is none too pleased when her rich next door neighbor's youthful wife, Sydney, finds an excuse to drape herself over Annie's husband Max. But then, Sydney has apparently been doing that with quite a few husbands. When Sydney is found dead on Valentine's Day, Max's mother Laurel seems to be implicated.

The twists and turns kept me reading. As always...more
Vannessagrace Vannessagrace
Annie Lawrence Darling is one of my favorite crime solvers.

Annie receives a telephone call from her mother-in-law Laurel, who was on her way to San Francisco to visit her daughter, informing Annie that she was coming for a visit because fate told her Annie and Max needs her. Laurel tells Annie that she found the spare key and her room so don’t worry about her.

On the same evening the trio attend a party at the neighbor’s where the hostess ends up dead and Laurel ends up the lead suspect. As the i...more
Jim
This was a good, solid mystery. I like the major characters, although I still have a little trouble getting past the last name of "Darling". I also find the references to other mysteries a bit overdone, but they have led me to a couple of titles I would not have otherwise found. Those are quibbles. This is one of the few series that seems to be getting better with each story
and I am looking forward to reading the next.
Vanessa
Book six in the series. Wonderful character building of Laurel, Max's mother. She becomes a suspect in a murder and she is driving every one crazy because she is obsessed with Saints so all of her comminucations have an infusion of saying or acts from famous Saints. Very funny! Annie and Max must clear Laurel and solve the murder before anyone else gets killed.
Ruth
Really? Now Laurel is jailed by Posey the Prosecutor? Sheesh Anne and Max had better never have children -- they'll be in jail more than they'll be in school.

Also, I doubt anyone would ever be so glad or patient with a mother/mother-in-law who shows up on the first married Valentine's Day you and your new spouse are sharing.
Betsy
I liked the characters enough to want to read more. There were some things that drove me crazy like the incessant references to various mystery book detectives and characters, but the plot was good enough to keep me interested and I wasn't able to guess the ending.
Michelle
Plot: Annie and Max move into their new mansion on a private lagoon, only to find murder (shock) and a cast of nasty, bed-hopping characters.

Warnings: violent murder; sympathy for a strike-breaking robber baron of industry; cat-fighting; slut-shaming.
Fmorlan
Valentines day on browards rock brings .max's mother laurel and murder. Annie and Max attend a valentines ball. The ball concludes but later a body is found of course by Annie. Max,Annie, Laurel and Henny go about the island to find the culprit.
Del B
Another good Carolyn Hart mystery.Part of the Death On Demand series.

Look most Hart mysteries the plot takes a backseat to the characters and setting. And those cats.

Well worth reading.
Sharon Goss
Easy read. Good travel book. Read in order to understand the characters and relationships better.
Deborah
Love the characters in this series. However, stores are a bit formulaic.
Chris Curtis
Not one of my favorites in this series. It just seemed to drag.
Vicky Beltz
Cozy murder mysteries set out of a bookstore "Death On Demand."
Anna
A very slow read. Seemed to drag on and on.
Kimberly
Carolyn Hart is always phenomenal.
Susanne
Susanne marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Lois Hecksel
Lois Hecksel marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Laura Norton
Laura Norton marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Lisa
Lisa added it
Jul 14, 2014
  • Sugarplum Dead (Death on Demand, #12)
  • The Merchant of Menace (Jane Jeffry, #10)
  • Strangled Prose (Claire Malloy, #1)
Also writes as Carolyn Hart

Author of bestseller Death on Demand series featuring sassy bookstore detective Annie Darling who with her husband Max and occasionally her wacky mother-in-law solves murder in and around her sleepy South Carolina town. First debuted in 1987, the series has spanned 22 books as of 2012.

Hart was born and still resides in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
More about Carolyn G. Hart...
Death On Demand (Death On Demand, #1) Design for Murder (Death on Demand, #2) Something Wicked (Death on Demand, #3) A Little Class on Murder (Death on Demand, #5) The Christie Caper (Death on Demand, #7)