Start by marking “Knife Music” as Want to Read:
Knife Music

Knife Music

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  1,101 ratings  ·  131 reviews
Tense and twisting, Knife Music is the story of a doctor struggling to clear his name after being accused of raping and causing the suicide of a young girl. The novel pits Dr. Ted Cogan, a 43-year-old surgeon and self-described womanizer, against Hank Madden, a handicapped veteran detective. From the outset it's not clear who is victim and who is victimizer, as the usually ...more
Published September 19th 2008 by ParkMadison Press

To ask other readers questions about Knife Music, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knife Music

Laura P.
Long boring passages in this book seem to have been inserted just to make it long enough. It’s very hard to like the main character. I listened to the audiobook and the very good reader Kristoffer Tabori was wasted on this one. Final verdict: don’t bother.
Daleen Berry
Knife Music is authentic, well-written, and suspenseful

As a former crime reporter, Knife Music seems like it could have been culled from any of the police blotters I've seen in many precincts. As a nonfiction author myself, it rings more truthful than most fiction I've read. No doubt that's because first-time Author David Carnoy evidently conducted thorough research to achieve this authenticity.

I'm not sure what kind of music surgeons listen to while they operate on a patient, but I hope it's a
Mariana
I found it to be a fast read. I wasn't very interested in the story
and felt no sympathy for the doctor. I felt no involvement with the
characters, and found them to be not very nuanced. I think the author
was attempting too many "twists" and instead of being suspenseful, I
felt that it was just dragging. I also felt that the rapes were
trivialized and there was no real connection to the trauma this girl
went through. She committed suicide and never once was there any
attempt to try to get into
Elyse
This is the perfect book for 'my box', .....(time I spend in my sauna). I can't read paper books in the sauna for too long before the pages begin to come apart, or curl at the corners---
so Kindle reading is great for my 'alone' time in 'THE HOT BOX'. I can't give a full review yet ---because I have really just started --- (I'm also reading "Crossing To Safety" by Wallace Stegner" at the same time: NOT in the box) -- but I like taking this "Knife Music" with me 'in-the-box'.

What I'm excited abou
İlkim
Koşuştumacaydı, hazırlanmaydı felan derken bir türlü girip yazamadım yorumu. Neşter müziği garip bir kitap. Kurgu fena değil ama işleyiş çok yavaş olduğundan bu kitabı bitirmek zor oldu benim için. En başta kızın intihar etme nedeni bir hayli bariz gibi gösteriliyor, ama tabi ki işler bundan daha karmaşık. Bunun altından nasıl bir kurgu çıkacak diye merak etmiştim ben de. Kitap kızın yaşadıklarını, kızın arkadaşının abisinin yaşadıklarını, dedektifimizin yaşadıklarını, doktorun yaşadıklarını uzu ...more
Cindy
This is probably the most tedious book I have ever read. The dialog just gets more and more minute - delving in depth into characters who no one cares about instead of concentrating on the central story. The characters would give you their life story ad nauseum and I just couldn't take it any more.

Someone once told me to give a book I was reading 100 pages and then decide, so that has been my rule, and in many cases I was very glad that I did. I couldn't finish it, and I gave it MORE than 100 pa
Nora
I wish I could give this 3.75 stars. I can't give it four because that's reserved for books like "Beach Music" and "The Help." But I REALLY enjoyed this and it kept surprising me right up to the very last minute!! (I listened to audio version) I can't wait to read/listen to his next book!!
Amanda
Entertaining story but the author goes into ridiculous detail about people and events that are barely relevant to the story. I think this is what happens without a decent editor...
Janelle
I really enjoyed this book. Several twists and turns. It was a quick read with an ending I never would have guessed!
Jon Lewis
Good page turner for the beach with surprise ending.
Irene
Kind of boring--where was the suspense?
Kooheli
This was the right read for the tail end of a winter vacation: fairly fast paced, mostly mindless, one or two twists that managed to be surprising because I didn't spend a lot of time thinking while I read. I didn't like Cogan's character from the start, and so it was hard to have sympathy (read: to care) when his career begins to crumble. Kristin and Carrie are poorly developed, so what happens to them wasn't particularly compelling. Carnoy seemed to put the most of his imagination into Jim and ...more
AudioBookFans
This audiobook kept me asking "What's really going on?!" as I clung to my iPod waiting on the next twist. The story is captivating and intense and David Carnoy makes a big splash with this debut novel. One thing annoyed me. Way too many times we were taken back and forth between past and present and at points it left me very confused. Thankfully, I was able to figure it out quickly and keep moving with Carnoy's plot twists.

I was extremely impressed with the medical terminology in this novel. Wit
SenoraG
This was an amazing suspense story. Ted Cogan is a great character to get to know. He is a surgeon with a a sense of humor and both feet on the ground. Being good looking doesn't hurt him either but does it make him a rapist? You will ask yourself this over and over as you read. I changed my mind more than once.

The writing flows very well and the author manages to not only take us into the mind of a gifted surgeon but the minds of teens as well, boys and girls. That is no easy feat if you ask me
Joe Stamber
After listening to the last disc of Knife Music I'm left wondering what to make of it. Ted, a pretty cool doctor, is accused of raping a college girl, an event which ultimately seems to have caused her suicide. Add to this a detective who has a grudge against the medical profession, and it looks like curtains for the aforementioned doctor. However, Ted isn't going to take this lying down, and with the help of sympathetic friends he sets about his own investigation. The trouble is that Carnoy lay ...more
Sean Keefer
Good dialogue. Well defined and believable characters. Plot premise was very appealing. I had a problem keeping up with the progression of the book and the precise point of view. Through the book Carnoy would repeatedly give a date and time a particular passage was occurring and these weren't always in sequential order and would frequently be several different points of view on a the same scene. For example two characters would be engaged in dialogue about a second set of characters while anothe ...more
Normalene
I love this author. You never know how it is going to end. You think you know who did it but you know that would be too obvious. So you look for red herrings and there are a lot of them and they are all really good suspects - but the doctor is cocky and you don't really like him and his friends are creepy too and the lady doctor who thinks he is an ass, she might have set him up to get back at him although it is hard to figure out how - but the older college boys are cocky and arrogant and you d ...more
Ashley
Sara
This is a Low-Key psychological thriller with a final great twist. Much of it is par for the course, yet it's biggest issues for me were characters that just didn't give me a connection. They needed to be a bit better developed to pull me in and care.
The dialogue becomes hard to follow then nonexistent - "Who said that?" "Which group am I 'with'?" I kept finding myself asking.
It was "ok". For the price, it was worth it to me to have a book between the book I just finished and the next one I'm
Jennifer Curtis
Loved this book!! The author does a great job building the story and the characters!! Had a lot of twists and turns at the end. But, you don't find out what really happened on the night in question until the very end!! Highly recommend!!
Deborah
I enjoyed this book. It starts out slowly but builds suspense. You may think you know what happens, but you don't. Even if you cheat and read the last two pages -- you still don't know the whole story.

I found the plot compelling, it kept me reading... wanting to find out what happens next.

I liked how certain facts seemed random or extraneous in the beginning, but they all tied together to reveal a complete story in the end.

Cogan was a likable character all the way through. I was on the fence
Ed Mittelstedt
Sometimes I don't know how books get on my reader. I have literally hundreds of books on my reader to choose from, and I'm constantly adding more. At some point, I added Knife Music based on a recommendation.

The cover is a detractor. Thank god I have an e-reader or I'd never carry this book around. It looks like some cheesy tween novel. But once I cracked it open, it drew me in immediately.

The plot is engaging, and you are concerned about the main characters - which to me is a the recipe for a
Charlene C
Pretty well written for a first novel, but it was hard to like one of the main characters. Also hard to concentrate on the story...could have been just me.
Leslie
Carnoy's debut mixes ingredients of police procedural, the school of Jodi Pcicoult, and Dr. Kildare for a gripping novel of suspense. The only flaw? Too many main characters with no clear protagonist and antagonist. Is the hero the detective who suffered from sexual abuse as a child - and who's a likable eccentric in the best mold of detectives despite the chip on his shoulder? is it the surgeon suffering from mid-life malaise who may or may not have committed a particularly foul crime? Experien ...more
Pamela
First Important Note to Authors: If you are neither 16 years old nor a girl do NOT attempt to write entries in a 16 year old girl's diary! It does NOT work! No matter how many "totallys" and "likes" you sprinkle around, it does NOT work. The result isn't just unrealistic, it's bad, embarrassingly bad! (This is especially evident in the badly written entries dealing with the demographics at the girl's school.)

Second Important Note to Authors: A "twist" ending doesn't mean something you pull out o
Catherine
3.5 stars. I can understand why this book has had some unfavourable reviews on here as it is subtle but that's what makes Knife Music believable I think. Anyway I enjoyed it!
Pinal County Library District
Knife Music by David Carnoy is a low-key psychological thriller that ends with a great twist. A surgeon who is going along just fine ends up in the sights of a detective with a bias against doctors. When the surgeon saves the life of a teenage girl, he doesn’t imagine that the future holds a charge of rape and even murder. As he searches for answers, he discovers layers of lying and duplicity, leading to shots being fired, a life being saved, and a friend finally admitting to a wrong. This is a ...more
Bek
Jeri
Knife Music is the story of a doctor struggling to clear his name after being accused of raping and causing the suicide of a young girl. The novel pits Dr. Ted Cogan, a 43-year-old surgeon and self-described womanizer, against Hank Madden, a handicapped veteran detective who had been abused sexually by a doctor as a child. Part "mystery"/part "suspense", it definitely held my interest til the very end. All fingers point at Cogan except....it just doesn't seem right that he would do it. So, who d ...more
  • Internecine
  • Guise & Dolls (Gretchen Birch, #4)
  • The Ascent
  • Chinatown Beat
  • The Brass Bed (Jewel Heiss #1)
  • Unleashing the Power of Rubber Bands: Lessons in Non-Linear Leadership
  • For Better or Hearse (Annabelle Archer, #2)
  • Graverobbers Wanted: No Experience Necessary (Andrew Mayhem #1)
  • Lady Margery's Intrigue (Regency Royal, #4)
  • Home in the Morning
  • Beyond Justice
  • The Taken (Hazel Micallef Mystery #2)
  • Just Like a Man (OPUS prequel)
  • Loving Jack (Silhouette Special Edition #499)
  • Fallen Angel
  • Husband by the Hour (Hometown Heartbreakers, #7)
  • The Wedding Gift