Start by marking “A Corner of the Veil: A Novel” as Want to Read:
A Corner of the Veil: A Novel

A Corner of the Veil: A Novel

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  19 reviews
""The proof was neither arithmetical, nor physical, nor esthetical, nor astronomical; it was irrefutable. The proof of God's existence had been achieved."" What would happen if God's existence were absolutely, undeniably proven? This stunning French best-seller, a nominee for several literary prizes, plunges us into a scramble among the highest officials of church and stat ...more
Published May 4th 1999 by Scribner (first published January 7th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about A Corner of the Veil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Corner of the Veil

DROPPING OUT
Fifty years ago I remember seeing on television last on Friday nights classics of 19th and early 20th French drama, especially the farcical bedroom comedies of Geroges Feydeau.

This brief book reminded me of them, except instead of men and women tripping and stumbling into one another's bedrooms, these were priests and secular politicians falling all over themselves as they deal with a revelation that threatens their comfortable lives.

I read it in one sitting, on my front porch, on the afternoon
Wendy
Ah! A book I just randomly grabbed at the library that turned out to be good! That hardly ever happens. Finding a book like this kind of makes me depressed. I think about all the other books out there that I am missing out on and will never know exist. Anyway, this is about a few priests who find proof that God really exists. Nothing much happens but it is still interesting. Very clean. Kind of funny too.
Kay Huck
What if there is real tangible proof that God exists? How would that impact society? That is the major premise of Cosse's novel. A priest, Father bertrand Beaulieu, receives such a document. The illumination proof changes each person who reads or hears of it. Steadily progressing through church hierarcy it affects people personally and theorectically. Would widespread knowledge capsize the balance between good and evil, collarpse economies or eliminate free will? Would people cease working? Thes ...more
Vegantrav
What would happen were we to obtain indisputable proof of God's existence?

Answering this question is the premise of A Corner of the Veil. It's an inherently fascinating notion, and that's what drew me to this book.

However, A Corner of the Veil did not really unfold as I had expected. After reading a brief review, I had thought that the novel would be about how organized religion and the entire world would react to an undeniable proof of God's existence. Instead, the story focuses on a tiny handf
Z
A biting satire, but a kind and respectful one. Cosse has a keen eye for her characters' foibles, but also a great affection for them. The conceit of the book is the discovery of an utterly convincing and irrefutable proof of the existence of God, and the ensuing efforts of the Catholic Church and the French government to conceal this proof from the public. Cosse wisely does not tell us exactly what the proof consists of, and does not try to convince us whether God actually exists or not; rather ...more
Lora
Translated from the French, this is a strong indictment of the Catholic hierarchy as a whole. A minor French priest is given total proof of God's existence, proof that is so convincing that anyone who even looks at the words (without reading them, even) immediately is convinced. It doesn't matter if one is "religious" or not. The French government gets involved too on the basis of economic collapse. Ultimately, the Pope is not allowed to even know about it, there is a giant cover-up and people w ...more
Hubert
Amazing - with the simple premise that scholars of a religious order have finally discovered the "proof that God exists," the author takes us on a journey that reveals how a society might react to such a revelation. At times whimsical, at times serious, the text reads cleanly, efficiently, with no superfluous material at all. Really a novel about an idea, while at the same time, Cossé manages to stick in a few jabs at contemporary French society, both religious and political.
Jeanne
French novel, translated.

The proof of the existence of God is discovered, disturbing the "powers that be" (on earth, anyway). Interesting how the people you'd think would be most interested in making this known (high-ups in the Catholic church and such) work actively, if for differeing reasons, to suppress the news.

God exists and, even with absolute proof, people are still people, struggling for/with their own power.
Tricia
Fantastic book by the author of The Good Novel....who has my copy of that anyway?????? A society of intellectual priests in Paris is given documentation that God absolutely exits. You'd think they would be overjoyed, but what happens to the world if that is proven? I raced through it in 2 days and then reread it. GREAT BOOK!
Mandi Waller
This was an incredibly quick read, but made me ponder a lot. It's the story of a priest who is delivered proof that God exists. The whole book shows how various people react to the proof and/or merely the news of the proof. I had some differing of opinion on some points, but overall it was an interesting idea.
Claudia Piña
Aunque no es un tema que me interese mucho y la acción de este libro es mucho menos acelerada de lo que esperaba, debo confesar que no me aburrió.

Suena horrible poner eso en la reseña, pero aunque es un libro decente no se me ocurren cosas concretas que decir.

Robert Campbell
At one level, a quick and enjoyable read. At another level, a marvelous exposition on the relationship between church and state, sacred and secular, and faith and reason. At the highest level, a remarkable insight into the nature of secrecy.
K.B. Hallman
This is an interesting work. This farce plays with the following question: What would happen--would anything happen--if God's existence were proven?
Lee Anne
I read this book for a book group. Interesting concept. I kept getting the characters mixed up, which made for slow reading. What would happen??
Louvaine
Very dry read, with some sarcastically funny parts. Overall, was ready to be through with it.
Melissa
Nov 13, 2007 Melissa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Vito
Shelves: fiction
I loved this! It was witty, sad, and funny. It shows the truth of human nature.
Kate S
Interesting story about God and the lengths religious men will go to.
Robert
Great concept that goes awry.
Debra
a little gem
Paolo
Paolo is currently reading it
Feb 28, 2015
Katie Kempski
Katie Kempski marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
thomas
thomas marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Karl
Karl marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Joanna Menda
Joanna Menda marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Lacey
Lacey marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Jill Pfuetze Schmidt
Jill Pfuetze Schmidt marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Anca Zinculescu
Anca Zinculescu marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
  • Some Dream for Fools
  • Le Liseur du 6h27
  • The Lemoine Affair
  • The Truth About Marie
  • Cooking with Fernet Branca (Gerald Samper, #1)
  • Le Grand Cœur
  • Au revoir là-haut
  • The Chatelet Apprentice (Nicolas Le Floch, #1)
She was first a journalist in the French newspaper Le Quotidien de Paris and then at the French public radio France Culture. Most of her novels have been published by the French publishing house Gallimard.
More about Laurence Cossé...
A Novel Bookstore Bitter Almonds An Accident in August Le Mobilier National Vous n'écrivez plus?

“I don't believe for a minute that the proof of God's existence is achieved. My faith prohibits me from believing that the proof of God's existence can ever be adduced. My God is not an object for verification, He is a subject for love. My faith is not knowledge, it is acceptance. It is a matter not of calculation but of trust.” 1 likes