Start by marking “The Story of the Pilgrims” as Want to Read:
The Story of the Pilgrims

The Story of the Pilgrims

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  82 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
From the dangerous voyage across the Atlantic to the first harsh winter to the delicious Thanksgiving feast, all the excitement and wonder of the Pilgrims’ first year in America is captured in this vivid retelling that is perfect for the youngest historians.
Published September 26th 1995 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published September 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Story of the Pilgrims, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of the Pilgrims

Ebookwormy
"Once upon a time in the land of England, there lived a small group of people called Pilgrims. The Pilgrims were unhappy, because the King of England would not let them worship God in their own way."

From the first line, I didn't care for this version. The writing is cutesy and sloppy. Not only is "Once upon a time" is not a good way to start a non-fiction story for elementary kids, the mix of whimsy and factual accounting of the difficult Pilgrim experience is strange. And the facts are somewha
midnightfaerie
Oct 12, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A great educational book for your children of all ages. My 5 yr old loved it as well as my 3 yr old twins. Lots of good information with beautiful pictures that will help keep children engaged. This one was recommended as extra reading after my son's history lesson on Pilgrims and Thanksgiving. And since this time of year is coming up, I thought it would be fun. We really enjoyed this book. The pictures were colorful and the words were easy to understand. It went over the same information we lea ...more
La-Shanda
Nov 22, 2014 La-Shanda rated it really liked it
My 1st grader enjoyed reading this story. "The Story of the Pilgrims" is appropriate for children ages 5-7 (emergent-early fluent readers).
Keelin
Oct 30, 2013 Keelin rated it liked it
Shelves: fab-40
Genre: Non-fiction.
Awards: None.
Grade level: K-2.
I would read this story to my class around Thanksgiving. This story does a good job teaching young students about what happened the first Thanksgiving. The younger students would draw a picture of what they are thankful for and the older students would draw a picture and write a short paragraph about what they are thankful for, also a tradition they have with their family. I choose to do this activity with the students so they can truly learn what
Anna J.
Nov 17, 2013 Anna J. rated it liked it
The Story of the Pilgrims by Katharine Ross is a nonfiction picture book used to describe the Pilgrims coming to America for religious freedom, meeting the Indians and eventually, having the first Thanksgiving. This book has wonderful, colorful drawings and is a nice simplified version of how Thanksgiving started. This book would be great to read in the lower grades to introduce why we celebrate Thanksgiving. Barnes and Noble recommends this book for ages three to seven.
Gala
Jan 25, 2012 Gala rated it it was amazing
This was a nice easy read about the Pilgrims. The history about why they packed their bags and moved far away was illuminating. So many died on this voyage for the sake of being free to worship. Children can get a history lesson from this book. Also, writing and reading.
Jane
Nov 12, 2011 Jane rated it really liked it
Shelves: thanksgiving
This book is a great book to teach students about a time of brave pilgrims and lifesaving indians. This book will help students to understand how we continue to celebrate the feast of Thanksgiving. I would like to read this book during the week of Thanksgiving.
Dianne Norberg
Apr 30, 2012 Dianne Norberg rated it liked it
Great pictures! I think it tells the story of the first Thanksgiving in a way little ones can understand.
Andrea
Dec 02, 2011 Andrea rated it liked it
This book was adequate in describing the life of the Pilgrims and the story of Thanksgiving.
Deanna
Nov 27, 2011 Deanna rated it really liked it
One of the best children's books I've read on the story of why we celebrate Thanksgiving.
Kendra
Nov 01, 2013 Kendra rated it really liked it
Shelves: thanksgiving
Great, basic introduction to the Thanksgiving story.
Emily
Nov 17, 2009 Emily rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite Thanksgiving picture book for kids.
J4
J4 marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Ms.
Ms. added it
Feb 01, 2016
Meredith
Meredith marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Jill Deurmier
Jill Deurmier marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Clarice
Clarice rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2015
Yu Chin
Yu Chin marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2015
Lilly
Lilly rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2015
Austin Patterson
Austin Patterson rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2015
Caroline N
Caroline N marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
Hattie Jennings
Hattie Jennings rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2015
Evelyn
Evelyn added it
Jan 14, 2016
Amanda Eisele
Amanda Eisele rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2015