The Vanishing Moon

The Vanishing Moon

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  8 reviews
In The Vanishing Moon, Joseph Coulson writes with insight and beauty about the American working-class, about the strength and strain of family bonds, and about tragic incidents that haunt the human psyche over a lifetime. Set in Cleveland and Detroit, the novel chronicles two generations of the Tollman family, opening at the start of the Great Depression and moving forward...more
Published January 31st 2005 by Archipelago Books (first published January 1st 2004)

Selena
I seem to be in the middle of an epidemic of finding books I can't stand and struggle to finish. I've never liked books without proper punctuation. I seem to be one of the few who disliked this book. Maybe because it comes on the heels of my having read A Teaspoon of Earth and Sea and other "difficult childhood" books, but I couldn't wait to get done with it.
Olivia
One of the most beautiful works of prose I have ever read. Coulson's background as a poet is apparent in the lyrical sentences of his first novel. Told through three points of view, each narrator retains a distinct, sincere voice.
Rose
Multi-generational story of a family. Written with delicacy and respect, the love, motivations and pain of these brothers and their progeny will linger in your mind and heart.
Bridget Salfen-price
Some of the characters in this story were just very disappointing. Also, I kept waiting for at least one character to be happy. Just very sad & depressing.
John
Lucidly and impeccably rendered ... a poignant and beautifully layered story ... deft with marveling resonance, this debut novel abounds with life and wonder.
Sarah Womack
Some of the writing in this book was absolutely mesmerizing.
Liz
I found this book to be really good...but really depressing.
Rhoda
Rhoda marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Akiva Jackson
Akiva Jackson marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Deborah A
Deborah A marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Jenikime
Jenikime marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Michael Hsu
Michael Hsu marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2013
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2013
Chareze Stamatelaky
Chareze Stamatelaky marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2013
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2013
Sebastian Johansson
Sebastian Johansson marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2013
Leslie
Leslie added it
Jun 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Of Song and Water Abnehmender Mond: Roman Of Song and Water: A Novel Le Déclin De La Lune: Roman A Measured Silence