Start by marking “The Vanishing Moon” as Want to Read:
The Vanishing Moon

The Vanishing Moon

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  9 reviews
"Joseph Coulson chronicles the American family with enormous intensity. His sense of history is vast, his sense of detail fine, Coulson is the ferryman to that America just beyond—tragic and wondrous."—John Reed

"In this powerful narrative, the voices of the characters draw the reader in at every stage. Coulson manages a wonderful what-next world, full of detail and event.
Published January 31st 2005 by Archipelago Books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Vanishing Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vanishing Moon

I found this book to be really good...but really depressing.
Sometimes I find a story that appeals to me but few others have issued comments about it. Such was Joseph Coulson's tale about the Tollman family. Living in Cleveland when the books opens, the reader sees them struggle during the Depression when they are so poor that one year is spent in a tent in the country. It was a difficult period as they experienced winter's cold and spring's merciless and drenching rains. However, the year was memorable for the two oldest boys who roamed and explored the ...more
I seem to be in the middle of an epidemic of finding books I can't stand and struggle to finish. I've never liked books without proper punctuation. I seem to be one of the few who disliked this book. Maybe because it comes on the heels of my having read A Teaspoon of Earth and Sea and other "difficult childhood" books, but I couldn't wait to get done with it.
One of the most beautiful works of prose I have ever read. Coulson's background as a poet is apparent in the lyrical sentences of his first novel. Told through three points of view, each narrator retains a distinct, sincere voice.
Multi-generational story of a family. Written with delicacy and respect, the love, motivations and pain of these brothers and their progeny will linger in your mind and heart.
Bridget Salfen-price
Some of the characters in this story were just very disappointing. Also, I kept waiting for at least one character to be happy. Just very sad & depressing.
Lucidly and impeccably rendered ... a poignant and beautifully layered story ... deft with marveling resonance, this debut novel abounds with life and wonder.
Sarah Womack
Some of the writing in this book was absolutely mesmerizing.
Chihiro Kobayashi
Chihiro Kobayashi marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Lowry marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Nidhi marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Lisa added it
Aug 06, 2014
Rhoda marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Akiva Jackson
Akiva Jackson marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Deborah A
Deborah A marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Jenikime marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Michael Hsu
Michael Hsu marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Samantha marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014