Start by marking “Year's Best SF 14” as Want to Read:
Year's Best SF 14

Year's Best SF 14 (Year's Best SF #14)

The short story is one of the most vibrant and exciting areas in science fiction today. It is where the hot new authors emerge and where the beloved giants of the field continue to publish. Now, building on the success of the first thirteen volumes, Eos will once again present a collection of the best stories of 2008 in mass market. Here, selected and compiled by David G. ...more
Published May 26th 2009 by Harper Voyager (first published May 23rd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Year's Best SF 14, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Year's Best SF 14

Ron
Aug 02, 2011 Ron rated it really liked it
Uncommonly good. A genuinely readable collection of SF short stories. Nice variety. I'd sworn off anthologies for a while because so many were so poor. My favorite was "Cheats."

The balance was tilted toward dystopias, but that's understandable of a book published in 2009. Don't read the intros, it only spoils the fun.
Kersplebedeb
Aug 03, 2009 Kersplebedeb rated it liked it
Jeff
Mar 19, 2017 Jeff rated it liked it
Arkfall **** I was swept away to a new world - a great adventure. (And no small reminder of how my family talks...)

Orange *** Cute, and surprisingly-readable, despite the gimmick

Memory Dog ** Wish-fulfilment for hippies. Not for me.

Pump Six *** A dystopia that's all the more painful because of its plausibility.

Boojum *** Not bad, but nothing really surprising here either.

Exhalation ***** SF at its best. The allegory is obvious, but it also works on its own as an internally-consistent world.

Trait
Joseph
May 30, 2016 Joseph rated it really liked it
My subjective best of the best:
"Arkfall"/Carolyn Ives Gilman. (Cool underwater adventure with "biotechnology and great
characters).
"Memory Dog"/Kathleen Ann Goonan. (Dogs and SF work well together, Very emotional!)
"Pump Six"/ Paolo Bacigalupi. His boss reminds me of my boss! Dystopian future living among
idiots ala Kornbluth's "the Marching Morons".
"Boojum"/Elizabeth Bear and Sarah Monette. Interesting space opera about space pirates (although
the grammar was a bit clunky). The "Lavinia Whately
Pete L
Nov 24, 2010 Pete L added it

TOC:

Arkfall - Carolyn Ives Gilman - good, poetic. an underwater world, japanese-ish culture, almost a coming of age type story.
Orange - Neil Gaiman - "clever" concept, only answers to an interrogation of a teenage girl.
Memory Dog - Kathleen Ann Goonan
The House Left Empty - Robe

Chris
Oct 30, 2009 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Since I read the big Science Fiction anthology by Gardner Dozois religiously every year, I hardly ever pick up another best of anthology for fear of duplication. This year my friend Bonnie mentioned this anthology and there was only one duplicated story.

Anyway -- it's a pretty decent anthology and a good read. Arkfall by Carolyn Ives Gilman is the first, and perhaps best storyy of the bunch, certainly one I will remember. It's hard for me to consider these the "best" stories of the year, it's mo
Claire
Aug 31, 2016 Claire rated it liked it
Looking through the titles in this collection, I determined I HAD already read it, and most likely this year, though I can most clearly remember a few choice stories from it, such as the N Words, The Things That Make Me Weak and Strange Get Engineered Away, and Mitigation.
So this serves a mark to myself as a reminder so that I don't pick it up again - though these are all top-quality, I'm interested in seeing something different.

If I did happen to pick it up again by accident, I could work on im
Danielle
Nov 16, 2009 Danielle rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
Read this anthology because of the story "Boojam" by Elizabeth Bear and Sarah Monette. Very derivative of the Sci-Fi show Farscape (which I loved), but a different enough of a take to interest. The one by Neil Gaiman was also pretty fun.
Chip
Oct 23, 2009 Chip rated it liked it
All excellent stories - a couple really got me thinking, and that's good. The best strategy for reading this book is to read one story a day and let it simmer for awhile. More than that and you risk SF overload, which can lead to blurry vision and headaches. Pace yourself and you should be okay. If I had the book in front of me I would name the outstanding stories; unfortunately, I don't, so I will have to hope to update this review soon.
Rachel
Feb 14, 2011 Rachel rated it liked it
I found the stories a bit uneven. They were all undeniably well written, they just weren't all too my taste. There were an excessive number of depressing stories set in dystopic futures with unhappy endings, for example. But there were also many stories that I enjoyed a great deal, stories that moved me and made me think.
Kari
Jul 16, 2014 Kari rated it really liked it
I had stopped reading the Years Best type books because I was finding I had either read a lot of them already or they just didn't stack up quality wise. But my partner bought me this on a whim from the sale pile and I have to say I loved every story. There was not one disappointment in the book - lots of good authors I know and also lots of new ones who I will definitely be looking for again.
Gardy (Elisa G)
...i racconti davvero belli stanno della prima metà del volume, come sempre solertemente spezzettato da Urania, intitolata Nove Inframondi.

Qui la qualità media è molto più insoddisfacente, soprattutto considerando i blasonati nomi coinvolti, che risultano stantii rispetto a quanto scritto nella stessa annata da altre penne non così stagionate.
Joe
Apr 29, 2014 Joe rated it really liked it
As with any collection, it contained the usual mix of good, OK, and bad stories....some of the interesting ones included "Orange" by Gaiman, "The House Left Empty" by Reed, "Fury" by Reynolds, "Spiders" by Sue Burke and, my favorite, "Fixing Hanover" by Jeff VanderMeer.
Dan Clore
Oct 01, 2016 Dan Clore rated it really liked it
Stories I especially enjoyed include:

Elizabeth Bear & Sarah Monette, "Boojum"
Cory Doctorow, "The Things That Make Me Weak and Strange Get Engineered Away"
Vandana Singh, "Oblivion: A Journey"
Jason Sanford, "The Ships Like Clouds, Risen by Their Rain"
Paul
Feb 09, 2011 Paul rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Many of these stories fall outside of my definition of science fiction. However, like most anthologies, there are some jewels. I enjoyed seven of the 21 stories: Pump Six, Boojum, Exhalation, The Scarecrow's Boy, N-Words, Fury, and Fixing Hanover.
Michelle
Aug 17, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with any anthology there are hits and misses. Gaiman, Singh, Doctorow, and Chiang were the hits and Paolo Baci... and M. Richert were the misses for me. There are also wonderful new authors I've discovered in this volume.
Brian
Sep 23, 2010 Brian rated it it was amazing
This is a great collection! I really liked Jason Sanford's "The Ships Like Clouds, Risen by Their Rain". Truly visionary! I previously recommended Pump Six by Paolo Bacigalupi. The title story is published herein.
Andrew
Jun 19, 2010 Andrew rated it really liked it
Great! This series never fails and this iteration is possibly the best of the whole batch. More and more stories contain themes of digital networks and genetic engineering.
Robin
Aug 16, 2011 Robin rated it really liked it
a bit uneven, yet some very strong stories
Sarah Batchelder
A book club member loaned this to me to read "Memory Dog" by Kathleen Ann Goonan. I really enjoyed that story. I also read "Orange" by Neil Gaiman, which I liked.
Selby
Jan 02, 2010 Selby rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
A very good collection of short stories, I particularly liked Exhalation by Ted Chiang
Christie Skipper Ritchotte
Some very excellent stories in this Year's Best volume. I got it, wanting to read M. Rickert's story, and ended up a very happy gal; couldn't stop reading.
Agathafrye
Oct 01, 2010 Agathafrye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
Review pending...
Bartol Rebernjak
Apr 02, 2013 Bartol Rebernjak rated it it was amazing
Probably the most efficient book I've ever held in my hands.
It will take you places, it will last very long and it will provide immensely more food for thought than an average 500 page book.
Meor
Dec 07, 2014 Meor rated it really liked it
Shelves: personal-library
A good collection of 21 SF stories, mostly dystopian, with a good variety of voices. My favourites were "Pump Six", "Cheats", and "Spiders".
bluetyson
May 27, 2009 bluetyson rated it did not like it
Total ripoff.
Spike Anderson
this is an excellent anthology- almost all of the stories are first class, creative & well-written. This is probably the best of the 'Year's Best' that I have read.
Kevin Driskill
Jan 01, 2015 Kevin Driskill rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed many of the stories in this collection. Arkfall, and Message Found in a Gravity Wave were a few of my favorites.
Deborah K.
Jul 28, 2010 Deborah K. rated it it was amazing
I loved the stories in this anthology. It kept me up late a couple of nights, even.
Goetz
Jun 12, 2009 Goetz rated it it was amazing
again great stories!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Seventh Annual Collection
  • The Mammoth Book of Mindblowing SF
  • Best New Horror 15 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #15)
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume Two
  • Engineering Infinity
  • Darwin's Bastards: Astounding Tales from Tomorrow
  • The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction
  • Federations
  • Futures from Nature
David Geddes Hartwell was an American editor of science fiction and fantasy. He worked for Signet (1971-1973), Berkley Putnam (1973-1978), Pocket (where he founded the Timescape imprint, 1978-1983, and created the Pocket Books Star Trek publishing line), and Tor (where he spearheaded Tor's Canadian publishing initiative, and was also influential in bringing many Australian writers to the US market ...more
More about David G. Hartwell...

Year's Best SF (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Year's Best SF