Start by marking “Year's Best SF 14” as Want to Read:
Year's Best SF 14

Year's Best SF 14 (Year's Best SF #14)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  23 reviews
The short story is one of the most vibrant and exciting areas in science fiction today. It is where the hot new authors emerge and where the beloved giants of the field continue to publish. Now, building on the success of the first thirteen volumes, Eos will once again present a collection of the best stories of 2008 in mass market. Here, selected and compiled by David G. ...more
Published May 26th 2009 by Harper Voyager (first published May 23rd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Year's Best SF 14, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Year's Best SF 14

Ron
Uncommonly good. A genuinely readable collection of SF short stories. Nice variety. I'd sworn off anthologies for a while because so many were so poor. My favorite was "Cheats."

The balance was tilted toward dystopias, but that's understandable of a book published in 2009. Don't read the intros, it only spoils the fun.
Kersplebedeb
Pete L
Nov 24, 2010 Pete L added it

TOC:

Arkfall - Carolyn Ives Gilman - good, poetic. an underwater world, japanese-ish culture, almost a coming of age type story.
Orange - Neil Gaiman - "clever" concept, only answers to an interrogation of a teenage girl.
Memory Dog - Kathleen Ann Goonan
Engineered Away - Cory Doctorow
Oblivion: A Journey - Vandana Singh
The House Left Empty - Robe

Kari
I had stopped reading the Years Best type books because I was finding I had either read a lot of them already or they just didn't stack up quality wise. But my partner bought me this on a whim from the sale pile and I have to say I loved every story. There was not one disappointment in the book - lots of good authors I know and also lots of new ones who I will definitely be looking for again.
Chris
Since I read the big Science Fiction anthology by Gardner Dozois religiously every year, I hardly ever pick up another best of anthology for fear of duplication. This year my friend Bonnie mentioned this anthology and there was only one duplicated story.

Anyway -- it's a pretty decent anthology and a good read. Arkfall by Carolyn Ives Gilman is the first, and perhaps best storyy of the bunch, certainly one I will remember. It's hard for me to consider these the "best" stories of the year, it's mo
Chip
All excellent stories - a couple really got me thinking, and that's good. The best strategy for reading this book is to read one story a day and let it simmer for awhile. More than that and you risk SF overload, which can lead to blurry vision and headaches. Pace yourself and you should be okay. If I had the book in front of me I would name the outstanding stories; unfortunately, I don't, so I will have to hope to update this review soon.
Danielle
Read this anthology because of the story "Boojam" by Elizabeth Bear and Sarah Monette. Very derivative of the Sci-Fi show Farscape (which I loved), but a different enough of a take to interest. The one by Neil Gaiman was also pretty fun.
Rachel
I found the stories a bit uneven. They were all undeniably well written, they just weren't all too my taste. There were an excessive number of depressing stories set in dystopic futures with unhappy endings, for example. But there were also many stories that I enjoyed a great deal, stories that moved me and made me think.
Joe
As with any collection, it contained the usual mix of good, OK, and bad stories....some of the interesting ones included "Orange" by Gaiman, "The House Left Empty" by Reed, "Fury" by Reynolds, "Spiders" by Sue Burke and, my favorite, "Fixing Hanover" by Jeff VanderMeer.
Paul
Many of these stories fall outside of my definition of science fiction. However, like most anthologies, there are some jewels. I enjoyed seven of the 21 stories: Pump Six, Boojum, Exhalation, The Scarecrow's Boy, N-Words, Fury, and Fixing Hanover.
Michelle
As with any anthology there are hits and misses. Gaiman, Singh, Doctorow, and Chiang were the hits and Paolo Baci... and M. Richert were the misses for me. There are also wonderful new authors I've discovered in this volume.
Brian
This is a great collection! I really liked Jason Sanford's "The Ships Like Clouds, Risen by Their Rain". Truly visionary! I previously recommended Pump Six by Paolo Bacigalupi. The title story is published herein.
Bartol Rebernjak
Probably the most efficient book I've ever held in my hands.
It will take you places, it will last very long and it will provide immensely more food for thought than an average 500 page book.
Andrew
Great! This series never fails and this iteration is possibly the best of the whole batch. More and more stories contain themes of digital networks and genetic engineering.
Sarah Batchelder
A book club member loaned this to me to read "Memory Dog" by Kathleen Ann Goonan. I really enjoyed that story. I also read "Orange" by Neil Gaiman, which I liked.
Spike Anderson
this is an excellent anthology- almost all of the stories are first class, creative & well-written. This is probably the best of the 'Year's Best' that I have read.
Skipper Ritchotte
Some very excellent stories in this Year's Best volume. I got it, wanting to read M. Rickert's story, and ended up a very happy gal; couldn't stop reading.
Selby
A very good collection of short stories, I particularly liked Exhalation by Ted Chiang
Deborah K.
I loved the stories in this anthology. It kept me up late a couple of nights, even.
Robin
a bit uneven, yet some very strong stories
Goetz
again great stories!
bluetyson
Total ripoff.
Agathafrye
Review pending...
Air
Air marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Caty
Caty added it
Dec 11, 2014
Meor
Meor marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Laurel
Laurel added it
Nov 29, 2014
Lordflathead
Lordflathead marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy, 2011
  • Engineering Infinity
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume Two
  • Futures from Nature
David Geddes Hartwell (b. July 10, 1941) is an American editor of science fiction and fantasy. He has worked for Signet (1971-1973), Berkley Putnam (1973-1978), Pocket (where he founded the Timescape imprint, 1978-1983, and created the Pocket Books Star Trek publishing line), and Tor (where he spearheaded Tor's Canadian publishing initiative, and was also influential in bringing many Australian wr ...more
More about David G. Hartwell...
The Dark Descent (Collection) The Hard SF Renaissance The World Treasury of Science Fiction Year's Best SF 11 (Year's Best SF (Science Fiction)) Year's Best SF 15