Start by marking “The Little Mermaid and Other Tales” as Want to Read:
The Little Mermaid and Other Tales

The Little Mermaid and Other Tales

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  411 ratings  ·  21 reviews
This collection of fairy stories by one of the genre's most celebrated figures brings together 27 classic tales including The Little Mermaid, The Emperor's New Clothes, The Little Matchgirl, The Tinderbox, A Real Princess, The Flying Trunk, Oli Lockeye and Danish Holger.
Published November 1st 1998 by Hippocrene Books (first published 1837)

To ask other readers questions about The Little Mermaid and Other Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Mermaid and Other Tales

Kathleen
These are the real fairy tales and not all of them end up happy ever after. Sometimes things do not always work out as we had hoped. Still Hans Christian Andersen was a wonderful story teller and I love his work.
Gale
DANISH MASTER STORYTELLER STILL TOUCHES THE HEART

Over the decades I have enjoyed many HCA fairy tales--considering them a gift to childlike hearts the world over. Many excellent illustrators have chosen individual stories to depict, thus capturing the imagination of readers of all ages. Still I must admit to being disappointed by this Harper anthology which is not all inclusive. The tales vary in length from rather long to absurdly short--not that length alone proves a valid yardstick for liter
Olivia
Very detailed, exciting... I believe Hans Christian Andersen was a true author of great work and should be remembered as so. I honestly feel Disney's the Little Mermaid almost insulted Hans masterpiece, the true 'Little Mermaid." Disney disgraced the work of Hans Christian Andersen, and I believe that The little mermaid tale that should be remembered is that of which Hans wrote.
Alyson Brooke
Absolute perfection. Reading The Little Mermaid is one of those stories where, upon its completion, you just hold it to your chest and whisper "oh my god" as you try to take it all in. Every line is perfect. It is tragic in a way, but tragedy is beautiful. It's so much more raw and real than happily ever after. I think everyone needs to read it. Honestly.
Elizabeth
Mar 23, 2008 Elizabeth rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who likes fairy tales or needs a way to calm the kids down.
Recommended to Elizabeth by: My brother, Richard Johansen
The Little Mermaid and other tales is a collection of wonderful classic fairy tales in teir untouched form. My favorite stories are The little Mermaid, The Little Match Girl, and The Rose Elf. All rolled (with more) into one must-have collection.
Amanda Catalina
This enchanting story is a step away from the expected happily ever after. With so many famous fairy tales ending perfectly it is always intriguing to see a story that has a sad ending. The little mermaid comes up to the sea after turning fifteen and sees a beautiful prince. After saving him and vowing to become human to be with him she makes a deal with the sea witch. The story has many odd and harsh parts. This includes the prince choosing a different girl and the little mermaid nearly plungin ...more
Julia Brumfield
Hans Christian Andersen is not one of my favorite fairytale compilers but I cannot say he isn't the worse one there is either. Hans makes sure that you are given with plenty of details to immerse you in the stories and makes you feel that you are all the way there with the characters whether you are trying to pick nettles, bargaining with a sea sorceress or being shot from a peashooter.

These are the real fairy tales - the ones that aren't doctored for young minds - and since so many are grueso
Roru
Primer libro de la BookTube-A-Thon terminado (medio trampita porq era super corto pero hoy no tuve tiempo de leer), lei solo "The little mermaid" pero no encontre en goodreads para poner q solo lei ese. Me gusto el final sobre todo que es lo mas diferente a la version disney
Jorge Antonio Olvera Mateos
Excellent. A tale about the true love. The little mermaid really knew what was love. The Andersens tale is better that the Disneys movie. In the movie (of Disney) the main message is changed. I prefer to read many times The Little Mermaid, but Andersens version, the original.

I hope to know someday to my Little Mermaid... but also I hope that she is not became in foam!
Laura Taylor
I gave this book four stars instead of five because I didn't enjoy every tale, only a few. The ones I did like are very good, although today's children may find these difficult to follow since they were written for youngsters from a century ago.
Nichole
This is the depressing closer to the original version with religious overtones! Sweet! Keep Victorian ideals out of your kid's fairy tales with this copy! (I am not even being sarcastic really).
Laurie Monahan
These are the original fairy tales by Hans Christian Andersen and much darker without all happy endings like the disney versions. But love the emporers clothes and the princess and the pea.
Sara
This is such a great book my favorite part of the book was the story of the Little Mermaid even though I still prefer Disney's version way much better.
Charlotte
Surprised to find that the real version of this story does not end happily ever after. Worried about which other stories disney has adulterated.
Hope
Beautiful story and enchanting descriptions. I would definitely read this again!
Erin
did not finish. i didn't feel the stories were appropriate for my children.
Cassie
I loved the detail and simplicity in all of these stories. Great fairy tales!
Jessica
Dec 03, 2007 Jessica rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children
Hah hah! Only kidding. This story is waaaaaay too disturbing for children!
Jonathan
So eclectic, so unexpected, so visionary!
laaya
I like it. and I read it stm.
Marco Carreon
Marco Carreon marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Priya Sri
Priya Sri marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Isabel Muñoz
Isabel Muñoz marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Laura Kathryn
Laura Kathryn marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Dollynnachogmail.com
Dollynnachogmail.com marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
  • The Little Match Girl
  • The Twelve Dancing Princesses
  • Snow-White and the Seven Dwarfs: A Tale from the Brothers Grimm
  • Goldilocks and the Three Bears
  • Cinderella: The Graphic Novel (Graphic Spin)
  • The Persian Cinderella
  • Walt Disney's Cinderella
  • The Golden Key and Other Stories
  • The Nightingale
  • The Red Keep: A Story of Burgundy in 1165
  • Goddess Girls Books #1-4
  • Anielka
  • The Frog Prince (We Both Read - Level 1-2)
  • The Tinderbox
  • The Classic Fairy Tales
  • The White People
  • King Midas and the Golden Touch
  • Cinderella
Hans Christian Andersen (Danish: [ˈhanˀs ˈkʁæsdjan ˈɑnɐsn]; often referred to in Scandinavia as H. C. Andersen; April 2, 1805 – August 4, 1875) was a Danish author and poet. Although a prolific writer of plays, travelogues, novels, and poems, Andersen is best remembered for his fairy tales. Andersen's popularity is not limited to children; his stories—called eventyr, or "fairy-tales"—express theme ...more
More about Hans Christian Andersen...
The Complete Fairy Tales The Little Match Girl The Little Mermaid The Emperor's New Clothes The Snow Queen

“It was the last night that she would
breathe the same air as he, or look out over the deep sea and up into the star-blue heaven. A dreamless,
eternal night awaited her, for she had no soul and had not been able to win one.”
8 likes