Start by marking “Days of Infamy (Days of Infamy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Days of Infamy (Days of Infamy, #1)

Days of Infamy (Days of Infamy #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  1,247 ratings  ·  43 reviews
On December 7, 1941, the Japanese launched an attack against United States naval forces stationed in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. But what if the Japanese followed up their air assault with an invasion and occupation of Hawaii? With American military forces subjugated and civilians living in fear of their conquerors, there is no one to stop the Japanese from using the islands' re ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 520 pages
Published November 1st 2005 by Roc (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Days of Infamy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Days of Infamy

Fatherland by Robert   HarrisWatchmen by Alan MooreThe Man in the High Castle by Philip K. DickThe Eyre Affair by Jasper FfordeThe Guns of the South by Harry Turtledove
Best Alternate History Novels and Stories
58th out of 336 books — 684 voters
The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. DickFatherland by Robert   HarrisWatchmen by Alan MooreJonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna ClarkeNew Yesterdays by Jim L. Wright
Best Alternate History
100th out of 224 books — 471 voters

More lists with this book...

I love Harry Turtledove. While his book don't pack as much of an emotional punch, I do always find them interesting about what could happen. They seem to make a lot of sense. That said, I didn't quite enjoy Days of Infamy like his other series.

The main reason was that I didn't feel any sympathy towards any of the Japanese characters from the Axis. I've felt sympathy towards his German and Southern characters in his other works, but not here. I don't know if it was because of the way he portrayed
Scott Law
I enjoy reading alternative histories. This was a bit different in that the branching point was not so long ago, basically what if the Japanese has occupied Hawaii rather than just bombing Pearl Harbor. It was very detailed and presumably accurate (I'm not really that up on the topic, but Turtledove has a pretty good reputation). It involved a couple of actual people involved with the original attack, but there was also a good size cast of regular people on both sides and how they were affected. ...more
Well written and complex, Days of Infamy explores the question "what if Japan followed the attack on Pearl Harbor with an invasion of the islands?"
In general, he does a good job. He presents the way the Japanese of the time thought and would have reacted realistically, which is essential to true historical understanding and explains a lot about what happened in Japan when the non fictional war ended.
I do think that he is a little short on the strategic aspects of what the Japanese would have don
Eric Diehl
I fretted over giving this read just 3 stars, because it's done well enough that I feel it *should* get more. The problem is that I could never really connect with it---especially the characters---and, especially in the first half, I seriously considered setting it aside and moving on. I am no authority on the history surrounding Pearl Harbor, but Turtledove reportedly is, and I'd say that shows. But much of the narrative was kinda sterile feeling to me, even in the heat of battle.
I'm also a li
What if the Japanese had followed up their surprise attack on Pearl Harbor with a land assault and occupation of Hawaii? Turtledove writes alternative history--some good, some not. He knows a lot and researches his work well, but his writing can approach superlative levels of mediocrity. Plot driven. Unfortunately, Turtledove prefers to write massive, multi-volume "epics" that are never complete works in a single cover. By the end of this book, the Japanese are well entrenched in Hawaii and the ...more
Important safety tip: this is actually a 2 book series, coupled with THE END OF THE BEGINNING. This book ends in the middle of the story!

With that said, it's one of the more interesting Turtledove "what if this had happened?" novels... I think the focus on the Japanese taking & holding Hawaii helped the author focus his storylines and makes his usual "plotting by coincidence" more palatable.

I'm looking forward to the next book.
"Days of Infamy" had an interesting premise: what if the Japanese had attacked and occupied Hawaii in the beginning of World War II. As the book presents it, they would have been wise to do so.
Turtledove's action scenes are great; the entire beginning of the book is basically one long, running battle.
He also gets you to invest in a wide range of characters, both American and Japanese, military and civilian.
Perhaps not the book's fault, but I didn't realize this was only part 1 until I reached th
Bill Ward
I have mixed feelings about Harry Turtledove's writing, and this book is as good of an example of the reasons as any. On the plus side, he takes a scenario from our history, changes one key fact (in this case, the Japanese sent an invasion fleet to Hawaii and not just a strike force), and then carries things on to a natural conclusion. As a geek I love the "what-if" scenarios.

But there are two fatal flaws to his writing, that I must also acknowledge: women characters and grease-spot expository.

Another Turtledove down. I love Hawaii. I love World War II. I love alt history. So this was a natural to check out. Took me a while to get into the story but towards the end I was really into it. I feel his other "south win civil war fights north again and again" series is much better. At least it grabbed my interest more but this was still good and I'm looking forward to the next volume. My only real complaint is that once again, he makes the US look like they can't fight a war at all at first ...more
Neil Jopson
I enjoyed reading Harry Turtledove as a teenager, and years later I decided to pick this one up. It was a good read, although I find Turtledove's style of writing drags a bit, with too much unnecessary repetition. Having said that, this is an interesting read from a man who will always be to me the king of alternative history.
Jeffrey Schmieder
An alternate history: what if the Japanese had taken the Hawaiian Islands. Diverse band of characters from the Japanese to natives to American servicemen. Very effective in bringing the war back home and showing how brutal the Japanese were to subject citizens. Enjoyable and some good analysis on how the US won the war.
Feb 16, 2015 James rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in history or modern warfare
A highly plausible alternate history exploring what might have happened had the Japanese empire chosen to invade and occupy the Hawaiian islands rather than carry out the drive-by style attack at Pearl Harbor they did in actuality. His characters are well developed; as in his other books, he creates a fairly large cast of memorable people, and the subplots involving their experiences with the invasion and occupation both give the story greater depth and show more detail about the military and ci ...more
Norman Howe
The Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor and occupy Hawaii in this novel of alternative history.
Not very well written alternate history of Pearl Harbor (why if the Japanese had sent the third wave of bombers and occupied Hawaii). Full of bad things happening to good people and obviously wanting you to buy the next book to see the bad guys get theirs. I will not.
Decent idea, really terrible writing. The sort of book where you read crappy paragraphs to whoever is around you because they're so unbelievable and cringetastically hokey. Countless examples of writer/editor laziness, like when different characters both say that the Japanese "really jumped on [Hawaii] with both feet" like 10 pages apart. How this guy can be the king of alternate history while writing so very poorly is a mystery to me.
Nov 16, 2014 Sharon rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
What if? What if..... Harry Turtledove turned out a very readable, plausible alternative history of WWII here. Fans of this genre, don't miss it!
I really enjoy this story of what could have happened it after Japanese carrier planes attacked the US installations at Pearl Harbor if they had landed troops. I really liked all the color in the story that includes not only the fighting on Oahu but the stories of the people living on the island and how they must change in order to live.

I'm looking forward to the next book End of the Beginning ....
No fantasy elements for Turtledove in this alternative history. What happens when the Japanese attack an unprepared American Force on Dec. 7th @ Pearl Harbor? (They kicked our @$$ for those who didn't know.) But what if they followed up with an invasion of the islands?

Here's one possibility and it's well thought out. I really enjoyed this book and am enjoying the next one too. Give it a shot.
Steve Blanchette
AMAZING! AMAZING! AMAZING! Turtledove does it yet again! A realistic and well researched idea of a Japanese invation of Hawaii after the Pearl Harbor attack brought to you by a wide variety of characters from both sides and all walks of life! A story put together in only a way Turtledove can and made so real it could almost be an historical account! A must read for any alt hist or WWII buff!
Great book. "What if Japan followed up the attack on Pear Harbor with a full scale invasion of Hawaii?" That's answered here with the precision of detail that the author is noted for. Like all Turtledove's books, it's not difficult to make comparisons (many times direct comparisons) to real-History facts and Japanese P.O.W. camps and how they treated occupied territories.
Harry Turtledove is one of my favorite authors. Very few people can take actual history and show what it may have been if a single thing went differently. This story is an excellent story about WWII. If you get a chance to read this or his other novels, I strongly recommend it.
Harry Turtledove runs hot and cold with me. Some of his books are ABSOLUTELY brilliant! (Ruled Britania) and some are just idiotic. (Guns of the south, Southerners travel back in time with AK47's to change the civil war outcome. Cmon!) Turtledove should have been beaten for that one.
As usual, a good story of what could have been. This book has more of a mix of real people & fictional characters than the other Turtledove books that I have read. Still, putting these real people into a what if world makes that part of the story more interesting to me.
Dec 06, 2013 Brentman99 rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: once
Recommended to Brentman99 by: Those who love alternative history.
Turtledove does a great job of taking an historical event and turning it on its side. This time, the US lose Hawaii to a Japanese invasion. I love the way he uses historical figures to make alternative history plots. A very enjoyable book.
many character perspectives

interesting to read a book in which the united states loses. naturally didn't pay much attention to getting to know the japanese characters and felt uncomfortable while reading.
Jul 16, 2007 Stephel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people that like history
harry turtledove's books are always interesting. he takes an event in history and then changes the outcome. this particular book was about the day japan attacked pearl harbor...and actually took over hawaii. this is part 1
An interesting take on if Japan invaded and conquered Hawaii after the attack on Pearl Harbor. Very good but not great book, non-memorable characters and easy to predict what is going to happen, but enjoy the concept...
Feb 02, 2009 Chris rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: alternative history buffs
It took awhile for me to get into this book, but I did enjoy it. Alternate history can sometimes be quite disturbing. I wanted a different end to the book, but all in all it was a good read.
Pretty typical Turtledove alternate history, but nothing that really grabbed me. It wasn't bad and it was a pretty quick read but I probably won't read the rest of the series.
  • 1942
  • Final Impact (Axis of Time, #3)
  • Fox on the Rhine
  • Stars and Stripes Forever (Stars and Stripes, #1)
  • The Two Georges
  • 1812: The Rivers of War (Trail of Glory, #1)
  • Never Sound Retreat (Lost Regiment #6)
  • Pearl Harbor: A Novel of December 8th (Pearl Harbor, #1)
  • On the Oceans of Eternity (Nantucket, #3)
  • Rising Sun Victorious: An Alternate History of the Pacific War
Dr Harry Norman Turtledove is an American novelist, who has produced a sizeable number of works in several genres including alternate history, historical fiction, fantasy and science fiction.

Harry Turtledove attended UCLA, where he received a Ph.D. in Byzantine history in 1977.

Turtledove has been dubbed "The Master of Alternate History". Within this genre he is known both for creating original sce
More about Harry Turtledove...

Days of Infamy (2 books)
  • End of the Beginning (Days of Infamy, #2)
The Guns of the South In the Balance (Worldwar, #1) How Few Remain (Timeline-191, #1) Tilting the Balance (Worldwar, #2) Striking the Balance (Worldwar, #4)