Start by marking “The Secret History of Giants” as Want to Read:
The Secret History of Giants

The Secret History of Giants

**Winner of the NCTE (National Council of Teachers of English) Notable Award**

**Winner of a Parent's Choice Recommended Award**

Are there giants among us? Find their story writ large in a lavish exploration touching on folklore and myth, truth and whimsy.

Ancient Greece had its Titans, the Celts their Green Knight, the Bible Goliath — and for those who know where to look, si
Published September 23rd 2008 by Candlewick Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret History of Giants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret History of Giants

GoldGato
Nov 14, 2015 GoldGato rated it really liked it
Are there Giants among us? Of course!

Under the earth I go,
Among the oaks I'll stand.
I'll sleep below mountains,
Whose names are unknown,
And I'll cradle their roots in my hand.

By the Order of the Golden Quills, this book shows the history of the Secret Folk, aka "Giants". Since we no longer see the Big Ones anymore, this is a handy volume to know what and where to look for hints of where they be.

photo Giants - garments_zpsafffyjlm.jpg

Stonehenge? Who actually believes a bunch of Druids placed "stones" in a circle. I certainly don't. Th
Matt
Sep 13, 2015 Matt rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
While waiting around in the kid’s area of the bookstore I noticed this book. So I picked it up to kill some time and couldn’t stop reading it. It reminded my of when I was kid and I used to read my Grandpa’s copy of Gnomes by Wil Huygen and Rien Poortvliet. I would spend hours reading that book and staring at the illustrations. I even forced my mother to buy and put up Gnome wallpaper in my room. A fact that my mother will never let me live down.

Professor Berk explains that he is a member of The
Regina Hunter
Feb 22, 2013 Regina Hunter rated it it was amazing
This book was given to me by a very special persona s a gift. It took me a while to get to it, but I'm glad that I did. History of Giants is amazing work of fiction with combination of new and old legends. Artwork itself is just breathtaking. I will do everything in my power to preserve this book, I hope my children will see it, along with others from this series.
Androo
Jan 13, 2014 Androo rated it it was amazing
Yes, part of the reason that this book gets five stars is because I am a 5-year old boy struggling in a 23-year old's body.

If you personally aren't into books geared towards the imaginative, you should reconsider.

Those of us, though, who enjoy fanciful thinking, folklore, or just want to play pretend that there are mythical creatures among us should find this book exceptional. Berk has made an interactive book (complete with cute little fold-outs) that not only is readable to most ages (I'd say
Nancy
Apr 29, 2012 Nancy rated it it was amazing
I possess the both the English and Finnish ("Salaista väkeä Kookas Kansa") versions of this charming book by the wildly talented Dr. Ari Berk, author of "Death Watch."

Not only is the lore meticulously researched, the books have delightful little interactive elements like a small envelope that contains extra-secret information or a inner page that opens--backwards--to reveal additional arcane knowledge about these ancient creatures.

Even if the inside of the book wasn't worth the purchase (and bel
Julie
Jun 18, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
This is a very fast but highly entertaining read, one of those books targeted at kids but enjoyable for adults, too. It purports to be a book about giants: their history, their lifestyles, their jobs, and so on. It's beautifully illustrated and full of little pop-ups and fold-out pages, reminiscent of some of my favorite childhood books.

Ian and I had the same favorite part, a pop-out cookbook which details the recipe for "Old-Style Sheep," which I'm going to reproduce here from memory:
1. Take 12
Vonnie Crist
Feb 22, 2013 Vonnie Crist rated it it was amazing
The title page of the book tells us "The Secret History of Giants" was "Written And Collected by Ari Berk, Magister and Scribe." And with the addition of delightful illos by Wayne Anderson, Douglas Carrel, Gary Chalk, Kevin Levell, and Larry MacDougall the book has the look and feel of a scrapbook or journal. There are diagrams, apparent "pasted on" scraps of paper, flaps and booklets, and pages that "unlock" into double-wide spreads. Yes, there is a lot of fascinating folklore here, but more ...more
Duane
Jul 07, 2010 Duane rated it it was ok
To me, this book seemed advanced for kid readers. The wording is complicated and the font styles are difficult to read. The illustrations are nice, but overall, I think this book would appeal more to adult readers. A nice short encyclopedia style book that discusses the different aspects of giants and their lifestyles.
Danielle Alexandria
Aug 23, 2013 Danielle Alexandria rated it it was amazing
This book encapsulates all that is mysterious and magical about childhood and mythology. Every page is filled with hilarity that both kids and adults will love, and every page is highly interactive with tiny paper doors to be opened and tiny scrolls to be unfurled. It transported me back to that childhood realm where the fantastic just might be possible.
Zoe
Sep 29, 2015 Zoe rated it liked it
This is overall a neat book, and I think the illustrations are the best things about this book, although the descriptions of giants in it are rather few. There isn't a lot said about them, and some of what is said (such as the list of favorite giant expressions that are basically just a list of rock and mineral names), is lacking in ingenuity. Nice, but could be better.
Madeline
Oct 24, 2008 Madeline rated it it was amazing
Really charming encyclopedic type compilation. The illustrations are fantastic, and the book itself is a beautiful addition to a home-library. They reminded me of similar books that a friend had on various fantastical subjects. I always wished I'd had some like them. So I'm thinking this will be a series and my wish will come true!
Rachel
Dec 10, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful book! It's just as fun to look at as it is to read the sweet little tales. I'm a grown woman and have flipped through it many times as well as the one about mermaids. These are just gorgeous! Lovely gifts
Melissa Bennett
Jul 16, 2010 Melissa Bennett rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book on a wonderful subject. I loved reading all the info on giants. The book is nicely put together with little flaps, wonderful artwork and a beautiful bookmark. I love looking through my book and never get bored with it. I highly recommend it to any one interested in giants.
Jay
Jun 15, 2012 Jay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, childrens
This book was great. The book itself is a piece of art. The embossed cover, thick pages; different types of pages with hidden flaps and pop ups. I loved it. It took me to a world that seemed plausible and that's what made the fantasy seem real.
Dana Al-Basha
Feb 07, 2016 Dana Al-Basha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, favorite
I absolutely LOVE this book! The art, the myths, they seem so real, so convincing! Th names, the stories are stuck in my mind!
Ali Hultz
Ali Hultz rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2016
Libby
Libby rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2012
Naomi Impellizzeri
Naomi Impellizzeri rated it it was ok
Oct 07, 2012
Rachelle DeMunck
Rachelle DeMunck rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2011
Kyle
Kyle rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2012
Michele
Michele rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2012
Kelly
Dec 31, 2010 Kelly rated it really liked it
More for adults than little ones, it's beautifully done with lots of foldouts and embellishments.
mmmm C
mmmm C rated it it was ok
Jan 06, 2013
Yaser Alansary Alansary
Yaser Alansary Alansary rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2010
Nicholas Rahim
Nicholas Rahim rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2011
Crystal Schott
Crystal Schott rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2014
Tiffany Overton
Tiffany Overton rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2015
boekverslaafde
boekverslaafde rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2013
Doris
Doris rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • How to See Faeries
  • Strange Stains and Mysterious Smells: Based on Quentin Cottington's Journal of Faery Research
  • Drake's Comprehensive Compendium of Dragonology
  • Frankenstein Takes the Cake
  • A Field Guide to the Little People
  • Darkwood
  • The Winter Child
Ari Berk is a writer, artist, and scholar of literature, folklore, and myth. Former student of and assistant to Pulitzer Prize winning writer N. Scott Momaday, Ari has written everything from academic works on ancient cultures to popular books about myths and legends for children and adults and, most recently, a trilogy of novels. He works in a library filled to the ceiling with thousands of ...more
More about Ari Berk...