Start by marking “The Marx-Engels Reader” as Want to Read:
The Marx-Engels Reader

The Marx-Engels Reader

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  4,359 ratings  ·  112 reviews
This revised and enlarged edition of the leading anthology provides the essential writings of Marx and Engels--those works necessary for an introduction to Marxist thought and ideology.
Paperback, Second Edition, 832 pages
Published March 17th 1978 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1971)

Mein Kampf by Adolf HitlerHoly Bible by AnonymousThe Quran by AnonymousAtlas Shrugged by Ayn RandThe Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx
Books Employed to Greatly Harmful Ends
34th out of 111 books — 110 voters
One-Dimensional Man by Herbert MarcuseMinima Moralia by Theodor W. AdornoOn the Genealogy of Morals by Friedrich NietzscheThe Theory of Communicative Action, Vol 1 by Jürgen HabermasEconomic and Philosophic Manuscripts of 1844 by Karl Marx
Critical Theory
6th out of 37 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Steven Peterson
Whether or not one is a Marxist, knowledge of Marx' work is important in understanding the variety of political philosophizing over the millennia. Marx' political thought is sometimes difficult (think the "Economic and Philosophical Manuscripts of 1844") and sometimes transparent (e.g., "The Manifesto of the Communist Party," more popularly referred to as the "Communist Manifesto").

This edited work is one of the best introductions to the works of Marx (and Engels). The volume begins with the ea
Maria
Blah blah blah blah Marx blah commodity blah
Ben Jaques
In the summer of 2001, I took a socialist history class. Summer school classes are unrelenting in the amount of reading needing to be done. I have clear memories of coming straight home after class, swimming through the thick humidity of North Carolina, and proceeding to spend the afternoon, evening, and night reading Marx. Class struggle. Dialect materialism. Proletarian revolution.
John
I know. It is important to read Marx. Especially for a historian, Marx's materialist conception of history is so influential, so pervasive, so inescapable, that there is really no excuse for never reading the man's work. And I have tried. I had to read the Communist Manifesto at some point my freshman year of college, and my eyes glazed over then, and then my current course of study rolled around, and there is Marx, on the syllabus. And I thought, good. Now I am older. More mature. I shall read ...more
Blair
I've found that Fredrick Engels has been lost under the tidal wave cast by Marx, even though the former helped keep Marx on his feet and was more a collaborator than some second fiddle. This is a bit more clear in this collection, where tone and tints of the ideas behind Marxist theory are different than in works written exclusively by Marx. Some of the pieces are repetitive.
Esteban del Mal
Marx changed the way I think. I'm less enamored of him as I grow older (anyone claiming to have the key to history should be locked in a padded cell), but still amazing stuff.
John
This is one of two collections of the Red Beard's work I have used, the other being David McLellan's Karl Marx: Selected Writings. Both are excellent: scholarly, organized and graced with intelligent commentary and background. However, if you asked me which to make your not-so-little red book of choice, I would choose this one for a few reasons. For one, it contains a thorough index, which greatly enhances the book's use-value as a reference. For another, it is compact and portable--this is the ...more
Tom
This review is not directed at the form of the book, which is more or less ideal for what it is, namely in presenting an in-depth overview of the writings of Marx and Engels, but is directed more so at the ideas contained within (although it should be noted that a more apt title would be "The Marx Reader... oh, and here are some of Engels' writings tacked on at the end"). The one complaint, then, that I do have with the form of the book is that Engels is given so little space, when he is truly t ...more
Julie

Tucker breaks down difficult passages by Marx in clear prose explaining Marx's thinking. Tucker restates plainly but effectively that given the division of labor between capitalist and worker, exploitative behavior by the capitalist is logical and not at all 'unjust' by virtue of applying some outside moral criteria to condemn it. The Marxist system does not concern itself with issues of justice, in particular, that comes later, or co-develops by other thinkers, namely Marx's contemporaries. Tuc
Ed Baldwin
You can't participate in a political debate in America without first reading Karl Marx. It's that simple, because Marx, a German living in England at the height of the Industrial Revolution saw the consequences of unbridled capitalism on helpless workers first hand. Much has happened in government and economic philosophy since then, but it was Marx that laid the foundation for all political discourse to follow.

Marx believed the workers should own the means of production, and, seeing no way for
xDEAD ENDx
The range of writings included in here is great, spanning form early Marx to later Engels and hitting upon social, economic, and revolutionary theory. The depth, however, I found to be lacking. I find it irritating that some of Marx and Engel's most important works are abridged, as if an additional 20 pages here and here would be too much for an 850 page book. Perhaps this is just a general problem I have with anthologies and readers...

It's humorous that in one of Engel's letters included in her
John
Modes of Production, alienated labor, surplus value... I loved reading this book. It really demonstrated the intelligence of Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels. I would go on to say that I don't agree with every single thing in the book... but I feel that has already been overstated about the man and his intelligence. This is an incredible read for anyone with an open mind and a dictionary. Disclaimer: do not just read the Communist Manifesto! It is oversimplified and will mislead you into thinking ...more
Vaughn
It's packed and the editor gives a bit of historical context for each of the selections, many of which constitute the complete text of the work from which they're taken. It includes a big chunk of Capital, vol. 1, for example. You also get the German Ideology and the Economic and Philosophical Manuscripts for 1844, so that you can see how M's analysis of political economy grows more nuanced as he learned more history and economics.

Chrisanne
I do not sympathize with the communist political ideology, but I was fascinated by the arguments Marx/Engels made for the dialectic development of history. It certainly gave me a lot to think about and I think that it was a fair assessment. This compilation of their works is excellent, and I recommend it to anyone who wants to know more about Marxist thought. Everything you need to read is in this book.
Ardith
Really nice comprehensive text for someone wanting to understand Marx. Will teach you that you do not like Engels (at least it did me).

I appreciated it laid out the context of the pieces, and included background work in some places for ideas that would spring up later. Much easier to follow Marx's line of thinking than just relying on the Manifesto.
Sam
Mar 14, 2011 Sam added it
I think Robert C. Tucker passed recently. Not in any way the best anthology but it's one that's on the most syllabi across the country's universities. Nevertheless, the feeling of reading Marx for the first time is indescribable. Can't help but to yell, "YES!" at the page incessantly. Too bad "Marx" is a four-letter word in this country.
Petter Nordal
If you are seriously interested in history or economics, but you don't have time to take university classes or read all of Capital, this is a fabulous work. Having read large sections of Capital in my twenties, i feel that Tucker's editing and notes make Marx's study and insight comprehensible without diluting or fluffing it up.
Peter
This leads to an interesting dilemma- what to do wrt rating political theory books when I might not agree with the writers? I gave this book four stars because the material in here is actually interesting and oftentimes quite well-written, and thought-provoking even where it turned out to lead into blind alleys.
Joann Bozek
Read, read, read and read again. I suggest picking this book up and giving it another look every four years as each Presidential campaign comes and goes. Especially when it comes to the topic of the economy??? Huuummmm ??? Is there really a true democracy?
David
A classic compilation of Marx's writing. Tucker can get a bit wordy at times, something that doesn't help the already mystic and often vague english that has been created from translating Marx from german. However, his commentary is sometimes very helpful.
Ruhat alp
Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people.
marx

marx were wrong.Unfortunately,in today's opium are nationalism,football and popular culture.
Ashley
Important. Boring. Watch this instead. (Animation makes everything better.)
Laura Jean
I have never made it through every word of this book. But I have immersed myself in it three time thus far. I'm sure I'll dive in again sometime in the future.
sologdin
as with the kamenka collection, a distillation of the MEGA for use by undergraduates in resolving revolutionary facial hair care product problems.
Jeffrey
While I do not agree with most of the ideology presented in the book, this is a great collection of important works written by one of the most influential men of the last couple of centuries. We know at this point that Communism does not work on a national scale, but that does not mean that all of the ideas surrounding it are useless. Personally I think his best and most applicable points are about the problems of producing above what you are actually being paid to do, and this merely places mor ...more
Adam Hewitt
Feb 10, 2013 Adam Hewitt rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in economic, social, or political philosophy
First let me say I am solidly in the Locke/Hume/Smith crowd, very much a product of the enlightenment and don't have a lot of use for Kant/Hegel/Marx. This review is not about the content of the book, but rather the Marx-Engles reader edited by Robert Tucker.

As a home-schooling family I used it with my daughter in high school to help provide an introduction to Marx and his core socio-economic ideas that played the foundation for textbook communism. The book is well laid out well with a nice tim
Matthew Rothschild
A philosopher of capitalism that predicted its evolution into what is now known as communism. Engels helped to clarify some of Marx' project and importance. The theory of alienation from labor and the commodity fetish both resonate. Clearly a genius, however inaccurate his prediction may prove to be.

Aly Lew
A incredibly arranged anthology of the writings of Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels and includes the more powerful pieces by Marx such as "The Economic and Philosophic Manuscripts of 1844," "On the Jewish Question," "Critique of the Gotha Program," and excerpts of "Capital."
East Bay J
I give up. I tried, though. I really did. I thought it would be interesting to get an idea of where Marx and Engels were coming from in their formation of Marxist philosophy. Unfortunately, this book reads like a punishment. These guys were clearly intelligent but, man where they not so good with communication. Words, words, words, more words, words. The goal of any writer of nonfiction should be to get the idea across. Of course, the whole point of this book is to present the entire body of wor ...more
John
Haven't read cover to cover, but particularly "Economic and Philosophic Manuscripts of 1844," "German Ideology," "On the Jewish Question" and of course "Manifesto" are all excellent and fascinating. Have yet to tackle Capital and Crisis Theory.
Engine of History 1 21 Dec 08, 2008 08:58PM
  • Reading Capital
  • Hegemony and Socialist Strategy: Towards a Radical Democratic Politics
  • Labor and Monopoly Capital: The Degradation of Work in the Twentieth Century
  • The Great Transformation: The Political and Economic Origins of Our Time
  • Capitalism and Modern Social Theory: An Analysis of the Writings of Marx, Durkheim and Max Weber
  • The Foucault Reader
  • The Revolution Betrayed
  • The Power Elite
  • Reform or Revolution
  • The Basic Political Writings
(Arabic: كارل ماركس)
In 1818, Karl Marx, descended from a long line of rabbis, was born in Prussian Rhineland. Marx's' father converted to Protestantism shortly before Karl's birth. Educated at the Universities of Bonn, Jena, and Berlin, Marx founded the Socialist newspaper Vorwarts in 1844 in Paris. After being expelled from France at the urging of the Prussian government, which "banished" Marx in
More about Karl Marx...
The Communist Manifesto Capital, Vol 1: A Critical Analysis of Capitalist Production Das Kapital The German Ideology The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Bonaparte