Blank-133x176
Down Range To Iraq and...

Bridget C. Cantrell

Down Range To Iraq and Back

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  14 reviews
There are some things people dont get over easily pain from the past is one of them. Trauma changes people: It changes values, priorities, worldviews, and most of allit changes how we relate to others. Painful, life-threatening experiences take people beyond the normal day-to-day life, leaving them stuck behind defensive walls that keep them from re-entering the world they...more
ebook
Published (first published July 1st 2005)

Steve Woods
This book is useful. It is pretty simple and straightforward and hence will be fairly accessible to its intended audience. In that it serves. The importance of a soldier returning from combat to note the details of what they experience as a normal and common response to arduous and sometimes traumatic experience is of paramount importance. Otherwise the sense of being different and alone and somehow flawed develops into an inward spiraling vise that will ultimately destroy the individual and any...more
Amanda
Apr 19, 2008 Amanda rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: vets, service members, service members families
Recommended to Amanda by: Army FRG
I couldn't decide if I should give this book three or four stars; but I think I'll settle on the three.

All in all it was a good book. I did not dislike it. It was informative and very simply written. It reads almost like a manual (again an easy to read one.) I definitely think that family members of service members and even soldiers should pick this book up; it's not going to hurt to have read this one.

Now here's what I didn't like about the book. It's written in second person perspective (whi...more
Mike
This book is written for soldiers (or their loved ones) who think they might be struggling with PTSD. The book goes over the signs and symptoms of PTSD and offers some self help tips as well as pointing to resources that someone would need to deal with their disorder. The authors use expertise and experience to connect to the soldiers on their level. One author is a Vietnam vet who tries to relate to the soldiers through common military language which for the most part is endearing but can becom...more
Erin
This was helpful. I think a lot of it I was already aware of, but it was good to brush up. Even though one reads the information it is much more difficult to put into practice. The stories in there are also a little more difficult to read for me. Even though I knew the horrors, it is hard to be reminded of them like that and then reminded again that our loved ones are living through that, and it isn't just a story for them. I would recommend this to all who are in or have family in the military....more
Dolly
Sep 14, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: deploying military members and their families
I received this book and started reading it when I thought I was about to deploy. That deployment was canceled, but I decided to finish reading the book in any case, to get a feel for what I could expect to experience when I do return from an eventual deployment. Though Army and infantry-focused, I think it is a valuable book for all deploying military members and their families, guiding them through the redeployment phase and the often difficult transition, especially from a combat zone.
Sandy
Aug 14, 2008 Sandy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
This book came at SUCH a good time.
It is geared for the soldier coming back from being deployed in a war zone and for their families and friends.

So much is explained in this small book... it is packed with info so far. I plan to finish it tonight so I'll add to this review if more is needed then.

A God send in my opinion. I'm giving my copy to my son and his wife and if I had money, I'd buy a copy for every one we know!
Wendroz
Well I like war even less now. This book discuss the struggles the soldiers face coming back to the States. It discuss the difficulties with workplace reentry, families and coping with PTSD. It is written by a PhD and a vetran of the viet nam war. Not light reading - I had to re read Harry Potter after this :-)
Keith Garner
If you have a soldier that has been to war, this book is awesome, it really helps put things in perspective. It is good for close family members as well to help them too understand how to handle the inevitable changes that come from the demons of war.
Kath
Very well stated presentation regarding PTSD and ways to approach reintegration to society and family life.
suzy
Jul 10, 2007 suzy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: vets, peopele who know vets, anyone interested in PTSD
Really informative, especially about PTSD and the lasting effects of experiencing combat. I liked the soldiers' stories from different wars and how what they experienced continues to haunt them. Enlightening.
Ginabug1nonly
Good insight...very helpful to soldiers and their families about what a war time deployment can do.
Dana
A helpful book for people suffering from mental difficulties caused by war.
Amber Kay
GREAT for understanding how to help your soldier that's been to Iraq.
Melissa
Great information for vets and loved ones
Donna Baldwin
Donna Baldwin marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Sheila
Sheila added it
Apr 30, 2014
R.
R. marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Shawna
Shawna marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Daralyn Hollenbeck
Daralyn Hollenbeck is currently reading it
Mar 04, 2014
Mandi
Mandi marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Erin Ashley
Erin Ashley marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Dr. Bridget Cantrell was appointed the 2008 and 2004 Outstanding Female Non-Veteran for her service to veterans by the Governor’s Veterans Affairs Advisory Committee and the Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs. In 2008, she received the Didi Hirsch Foundation Leadership Award for Erasing the Stigma of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
She has her Doctorate of Philosophy in Clinical...more
More about Bridget C. Cantrell...
Once a Warrior: Wired for Life Souls Under Siege: The Effects of Mulitple Troop Deployments- And How to Weather the Storm