Start by marking “Everything to Gain” as Want to Read:
Everything to Gain

Everything to Gain

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  1,563 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Mallory Keswick can't imagine how her life could possibly be better. She has a wonderful, fulfilling marriage to a man who loves, supports, and nurtures her. She has a lovely home and beautiful twins who bring joy to her days, to all of which she devotes herself wholeheartedly. Mallory feels she has finally found the elusive sense of family that never quite rang true in he ...more
Published February 27th 2007 by Avon (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Everything to Gain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everything to Gain

Lynn Kay Vogt
Mar 15, 2009 Lynn Kay Vogt rated it it was amazing
This was a book that really got under my skin. Not many books actualy get to me enought to bring me to tears, but this one did. You feel like you are part of this womans life. The main character the same age as myself was telling the story and describing her life over the past 10 years. An amazing book about a woman who went from having everything to losing it all and then coming back with more strength than ever. It was a great book
Amy
Jul 12, 2011 Amy rated it did not like it
This was a paperback I found at my house that I kept in the car and read here and there, so it took me awhile to get through it. I haven't read any books like this in years and I haven't been missing much. The perfect (so, so perfect I could hardly stand it!) heroine has a perfect life and is then shattered by tragedy. This didn't happen till over halfway thru the book and I felt like I would never find out what the big tragedy was. Why did I read the whole book? I had to find out what happened ...more
Maryann
Dec 28, 2011 Maryann rated it it was amazing
The only novel that's gotten me to cry...except maybe for Harry Potter, when Dumbledore died. The novel is about a woman in grief over the most painful loss anyone could ever face. I love how we experience Mal's life with her husband and her children, and literally could feel the emotioons jumping out of the pages. From the beginning of the story, I thought Mal was a little weird but then her life unfolds through the rest of the pages and somehow has me empathiziing with Mal's happiness. It came ...more
Florence Primrose
Oct 08, 2012 Florence Primrose rated it liked it
Barbara Taylor Bradford's story is set in both U.S. and England. Mallory seems to have it all with a wonderful loving husband and 6-year-old twins. After tragedy we see the effort to sustain life and rise above grief.

This is a vert typical Bradford book--enjoyable with a happy ending.
Rebecca McNutt
Nov 27, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it really liked it
Shelves: death, fiction, family
Everything to Gain was a really sad book, but it was well-written and realistic and not nearly as melodramatic as I'd initially dreaded.
Turton12
Dec 30, 2016 Turton12 rated it really liked it
Such a good writer.
Trisha
Sep 22, 2016 Trisha rated it really liked it
The courage displayed by the protagonist was inspirational.
S.J. Tyson
Nov 08, 2015 S.J. Tyson rated it really liked it
This was one of the saddest novels I have ever read. To have that degree of tragedy to deal with is over-the-top heartbreaking. The book was obviously building up to something very bad happening, which it did about halfway through, and the rest is the main character dealing with the aftermath. Most of the book is gloom and doom (or building up to it), with the "happy ending" coming seemingly out of nowhere at the end. I didn't particularly embrace the storyline itself, though I did enjoy Ms. Bra ...more
Phyllis
Mar 09, 2013 Phyllis rated it really liked it
I thought the book was good but a little too long in parts. The Prologue pulled me right in. I knew there was a tragedy that came to the main character. I wanted to keep reading to find out what it was and how it happened. It took to the middle of the book to find out the mystery of the tragedy. It was definitely very tragic and heartbreaking. After that is when the book started to slow down for me. However, I do like how the main character picked up the pieces of her life and finally began to l ...more
Gail Mclinn
Sep 09, 2009 Gail Mclinn rated it liked it
This was an OK story. I enjoyed the relationship between the mother-in-law and the wife, as well as the London, British based parts of the story. The description of the moors and the countryside are wonderful. The story has a predictable ominous overtone identified early which made each page turn distracting as I expected "death" at some turn. The death of the characters was boring - i.e. the tragedy was there but there could have been more intrique. Plus, the grieving period was relatively shor ...more
Rhia Alva
Apr 03, 2016 Rhia Alva rated it it was amazing
Shelves: great
great story! Whenever I'm feeling down and/or missing someone so much, I browse the pages of this book. The title itself reminds me to be courageous just like the main character here. The story is very inspiring. First time I read a book and finished it in just one day. T'was as if I was watching a movie. When my 1st copy was lost, I bought a new one. It was worth keeping and reading.
Barbra
Sep 19, 2008 Barbra rated it liked it
Another saga novel from this famous author.

Back Cover Blurb:
A modern story of a modern tragedy. Mallory Keswick's world is shattered when she loses both her husband and her children. Pulling herself together, she becomes a successful business woman, although the grief of her past is always with her. Then she meets Richard Markson, who gives her hope.
Cindy
Dec 02, 2008 Cindy added it
I'm surprised I'm reading this, as it's not my normal fare. It's ok, kind of dated since it was written 1988 and car jackings were a new crime. I am curious as to how it ends, which is why I'm still reading it!

The only reason that I finished this was so that I could see how it ended. Can't really recommend this book.
Carla
Aug 18, 2015 Carla rated it really liked it
I read this book quite a while ago. My Mother recommended it to me. I remember when I started it I kept complaining to my Mother that it was the stupidest book, everything was just too perfect. My Mom kept saying "just wait". So, I did. I'm so glad I did because it turned out to be a really great story.
Ada Iaboni
Mar 22, 2016 Ada Iaboni rated it liked it
This novel expresses some very difficult feelings and tragedies. The losses and pain to those remaining is palpable and makes you wonder how you'd feel in similar circumstances. Most of us have had some of those feeling, of that I'm sure.
I felt that the end was cut short and left me wanting a few more pages to feel the story more complete.
Angie
Jun 08, 2016 Angie rated it it was ok
Another so-so book. Woman loses family, goes into deep depression, starts a new business, becomes wildly successful, finds a new man. All the while she visits and lives in England where she gets all the ideas for her business. Just your typical run of the mill life. Sorry I've read too many like this.
Kellie
Sep 24, 2008 Kellie rated it it was amazing
This book had some sad points, but to me that means its a great book when it can make you laugh as well as cry. This left you almost fighting right along with the leading lady wanting her to find happiness as much as she did. great read wont be disapointed!
Sue
Jan 25, 2008 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, read-2002
The story opens with Mallory, clearly deeply scarred by something that happened years previously. The book flashes back to the start of her marriage, and the last chapters return to the period of the prologue. Gripping and realistic.
Debbie
Jul 27, 2009 Debbie rated it really liked it
Terrific story about love, loss, and rebuilding. Read it when I was struggling and sent my copy on to a friend who was having challenges of her own. Very life affirming.
Anne
Jun 09, 2016 Anne rated it liked it
I have always like Barbara Taylor Bradford books, especially the Emma Harte series, though this is the first one I have read in years. It wasn't my favorite.
Shelley
Jan 20, 2014 Shelley rated it it was ok
I found the book too slow because of all the flowery language. I probably won't read another book by this author.
Michelle Grayce
Mar 20, 2013 Michelle Grayce rated it it was amazing
Thought this was a really sad story. Loved the way Mallory managed to find a way to try and pick up the pieces of her broken life.
Kristen
Apr 28, 2008 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This is a sweet story of Mallory and her world, as it's been turned upside down by tragedy, and tries to pick up the pieces, to rebuild and love again.
Priyanshi
Jul 23, 2016 Priyanshi rated it really liked it
A wonderfully woven story wherein the emotion builds up over the pages in a perfect way, so as to reach the climax... A page turner because of the foreboding way it has been written.
Joanne
Dec 05, 2012 Joanne rated it really liked it
The book was slow until the "event" happened. I kept waiting for the event and, although it provided context for her life and emotions, it seemed to take too long to get to the exciting parts.
Marina Liliana
Dec 14, 2013 Marina Liliana rated it it was amazing
The story was so sad but it is also inspiring.there is always hope and you can find love after the passing of your loved one no matter how depressing it can be. This story gives me hope.
Lori
Jan 20, 2015 Lori rated it did not like it
Yuck! So boring, didn't like any characters. I will not be in a hurry to read another by this author.
Heather Morris
WAYYYYY too sad. I don't think I could ever read this again, simply because I spent way too much time crying.
Tiana Freeman
Aug 13, 2015 Tiana Freeman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I truly enjoyed this book. Everything was so vivid and I felt a range of emotions. The story made me long for some of the love that the characters experienced.
Tracy
Tracy rated it really liked it
May 15, 2010
What do people think of Barbara Taylor Bradford 4 10 Mar 06, 2013 07:17AM
What do people think of Barbara Taylor Bradford 0 0 Jun 05, 2011 12:01AM
  • Paloverde
  • Looking Back
  • Bright Captivity (Georgia Trilogy, #1)
  • Till We Meet Again
  • Starting Over
  • Texas Rich (Texas, #1)
  • Festival of Deaths (Gregor Demarkian, #10)
  • Inheritance
  • Exposé (Sally Harrington, #1)
  • Garden of Scandal
  • Suspects
  • The Warlord
  • Hunter's Moon
  • A Stranger's Wife
  • Criminal Seduction
Barbara Taylor Bradford is the author of 30 bestselling novels, including The Cavendon Women, Cavendon Hall, and The Ravenscar Dynasty. She was born in Leeds, England, and from an early age, she was a voracious reader: at age 12, she had already read all of Dickens and the Brontë sisters. By the age of twenty, she was an editor and columnist on Fleet Street. She published her first novel, A Woman ...more
More about Barbara Taylor Bradford...