Start by marking “Everything to Gain” as Want to Read:
Everything to Gain

Everything to Gain

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  1,333 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Mallory Keswick can't imagine how her life could possibly be better. She has a wonderful, fulfilling marriage to a man who loves, supports, and nurtures her. She has a lovely home and beautiful twins who bring joy to her days, to all of which she devotes herself wholeheartedly. Mallory feels she has finally found the elusive sense of family that never quite rang true in he ...more
Published February 27th 2007 by Avon (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Everything to Gain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everything to Gain

Lynn Kay Vogt
This was a book that really got under my skin. Not many books actualy get to me enought to bring me to tears, but this one did. You feel like you are part of this womans life. The main character the same age as myself was telling the story and describing her life over the past 10 years. An amazing book about a woman who went from having everything to losing it all and then coming back with more strength than ever. It was a great book
The only novel that's gotten me to cry...except maybe for Harry Potter, when Dumbledore died. The novel is about a woman in grief over the most painful loss anyone could ever face. I love how we experience Mal's life with her husband and her children, and literally could feel the emotioons jumping out of the pages. From the beginning of the story, I thought Mal was a little weird but then her life unfolds through the rest of the pages and somehow has me empathiziing with Mal's happiness. It came ...more
This was a paperback I found at my house that I kept in the car and read here and there, so it took me awhile to get through it. I haven't read any books like this in years and I haven't been missing much. The perfect (so, so perfect I could hardly stand it!) heroine has a perfect life and is then shattered by tragedy. This didn't happen till over halfway thru the book and I felt like I would never find out what the big tragedy was. Why did I read the whole book? I had to find out what happened ...more
Florence Primrose
Barbara Taylor Bradford's story is set in both U.S. and England. Mallory seems to have it all with a wonderful loving husband and 6-year-old twins. After tragedy we see the effort to sustain life and rise above grief.

This is a vert typical Bradford book--enjoyable with a happy ending.
Gail Mclinn
This was an OK story. I enjoyed the relationship between the mother-in-law and the wife, as well as the London, British based parts of the story. The description of the moors and the countryside are wonderful. The story has a predictable ominous overtone identified early which made each page turn distracting as I expected "death" at some turn. The death of the characters was boring - i.e. the tragedy was there but there could have been more intrique. Plus, the grieving period was relatively shor ...more
I thought the book was good but a little too long in parts. The Prologue pulled me right in. I knew there was a tragedy that came to the main character. I wanted to keep reading to find out what it was and how it happened. It took to the middle of the book to find out the mystery of the tragedy. It was definitely very tragic and heartbreaking. After that is when the book started to slow down for me. However, I do like how the main character picked up the pieces of her life and finally began to l ...more
Rhia Alva
great story...I love how the author described each place, every emotions and every situation. I had a copy and when it was lost I bought a new one 'cause I found it worth keeping.
Tiana Freeman
I truly enjoyed this book. Everything was so vivid and I felt a range of emotions. The story made me long for some of the love that the characters experienced.
Enjoyed. Read her Woman of Substance years ago and loved.
Diane Wallace
easy read..good storytelling
Sandi Klumb
Really enjoyed this book.
Yuck! So boring, didn't like any characters. I will not be in a hurry to read another by this author.
Eriola Prifti
It makes me cry. Loved it
I found the book too slow because of all the flowery language. I probably won't read another book by this author.
Another saga novel from this famous author.

Back Cover Blurb:
A modern story of a modern tragedy. Mallory Keswick's world is shattered when she loses both her husband and her children. Pulling herself together, she becomes a successful business woman, although the grief of her past is always with her. Then she meets Richard Markson, who gives her hope.
Dec 02, 2008 Cindy added it
I'm surprised I'm reading this, as it's not my normal fare. It's ok, kind of dated since it was written 1988 and car jackings were a new crime. I am curious as to how it ends, which is why I'm still reading it!

The only reason that I finished this was so that I could see how it ended. Can't really recommend this book.
I read this book quite a while ago. My Mother recommended it to me. I remember when I started it I kept complaining to my Mother that it was the stupidest book, everything was just too perfect. My Mom kept saying "just wait". So, I did. I'm so glad I did because it turned out to be a really great story.
This book had some sad points, but to me that means its a great book when it can make you laugh as well as cry. This left you almost fighting right along with the leading lady wanting her to find happiness as much as she did. great read wont be disapointed!
The story opens with Mallory, clearly deeply scarred by something that happened years previously. The book flashes back to the start of her marriage, and the last chapters return to the period of the prologue. Gripping and realistic.
The book was slow until the "event" happened. I kept waiting for the event and, although it provided context for her life and emotions, it seemed to take too long to get to the exciting parts.
Marina Liliana
The story was so sad but it is also inspiring.there is always hope and you can find love after the passing of your loved one no matter how depressing it can be. This story gives me hope.
Terrific story about love, loss, and rebuilding. Read it when I was struggling and sent my copy on to a friend who was having challenges of her own. Very life affirming.
This is a sweet story of Mallory and her world, as it's been turned upside down by tragedy, and tries to pick up the pieces, to rebuild and love again.
Michelle Grayce
Thought this was a really sad story. Loved the way Mallory managed to find a way to try and pick up the pieces of her broken life.
Based on my 1995 mindset, I gave this book a 3 which means it's probably a 2 with today's ratings.
I really liked this book. I could sympathize with the loss suffered by the main character.
Gina Estrada
so heartbreaking... its one of the best book i ever read... i surely recommend this to all.. :)
Tracey Lantz
The story could have gone in so many other directions. I got bored with the amount of detail.
Nermeen Mohamed
such an exquisite, heartbreaking story about loss and how u can find hope through loss and grief
Really liked this book..Sad story but well written
What do people think of Barbara Taylor Bradford 4 10 Mar 06, 2013 07:17AM
What do people think of Barbara Taylor Bradford 0 0 Jun 05, 2011 12:01AM
  • Looking Back
  • Till We Meet Again
  • Starting Over
  • Texas Rich (Texas, #1)
  • Festival of Deaths (Gregor Demarkian, #10)
  • Bright Captivity (Georgia Trilogy, #1)
  • Suspects
  • The Other Side Of Love
  • The Bonny Dawn
  • Deceptions
  • A Stranger's Wife
  • The Carousel
Barbara Taylor Bradford is the author of 30 bestselling novels, including The Cavendon Women, Cavendon Hall, and The Ravenscar Dynasty. She was born in Leeds, England, and from an early age, she was a voracious reader: at age 12, she had already read all of Dickens and the Brontë sisters. By the age of twenty, she was an editor and columnist on Fleet Street. She published her first novel, A Woman ...more
More about Barbara Taylor Bradford...
A Woman of Substance (Emma Harte Saga #1) To Be the Best  (Emma Harte Saga #3) Hold the Dream (Emma Harte Saga #2) Unexpected Blessings (Emma Harte Saga #5) Emma's Secret (Emma Harte Saga #4)