Start by marking “Carpe Corpus (The Morganville Vampires, #6)” as Want to Read:
Carpe Corpus (The Morganville Vampires, #6)

Carpe Corpus (The Morganville Vampires #6)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  35,259 ratings  ·  811 reviews
Read Rachel Caine's posts on the Penguin Blog

In the small college town of Morganville, vampires and humans lived in (relative) peace-until all the rules got rewritten when the evil vampire Bishop arrived, looking for the lost book of vampire secrets. He's kept a death grip on the town ever since. Now an underground resistance is brewing, and in order to contain it, Bishop...more
Published June 2nd 2009 by Signet (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Carpe Corpus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carpe Corpus

Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareBlood Promise by Richelle MeadHunted by P.C. CastEvermore by Alyson Noel
Books for 2009
34th out of 578 books — 2,385 voters
City of Ashes by Cassandra ClareHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareMarked by P.C. Cast
Books That Should Be Made Into Movies
399th out of 18,189 books — 49,030 voters

More lists with this book...

Amber
Wooo Hooo! I will say hands down that this is the best one yet!! Way to go Ms. Caine!! This series is so different from all the other vampire books I have read. Sure they tap into the same well at one point or another, but the creative plots and the action packed, fast-paced story takes you into a whole other level. You can't but help falling in love with this series. (And Shane and Michael of course)

I have to say that I have waited for page 120 & 121 patiently and I was totally giddy! Now,...more
Arlene
Carpe Corpus is the sixth installment of Claire’s story in the Morganville series. As with the other books, Caine does a great job in keeping the action going and twisting the events when you least expect it.

In this book, Bishop’s rule comes to an endgame and the people of Morganville, humans and vampires, make a move to take back their town. Claire faces her most challenging moments as she becomes the pawn between both Amelie and Bishop. Her loyal friends, Shane, Michael and Eve are never far o...more
Emily Duncan
So, i freakin love this series. In my opinion they top just about every vampire series out there.
That said, i realise that this book came out about two months ago. I know... i know because i bought it the day it came out.
It's not that it took me two months to read a 200 page book. It's just that if i own a book i do not read it. I don't know why. And it bugs me. But it's the sad truth.
That said, this was, of course, excellent. It was probably the first Morganville book i've read that had an end...more
Anzu The Great Destroyer
This will be a mini-review because I have no idea what to write in the first place. So get ready for some good rambling.

Carpe Corpus, or as my good friend Google likes to call it, “seize the body” (weird, huh?) is a fancy schmancy way of playing with the old “Carpe Diem” (seize the day) gig as an analogy to Bishop being a bitch and Claire and Shane having some business time. Thank you morganvilletexas.com for that one.

I liked this one better than the previous book. We’ve got more of the flip flo...more
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
Review on later date.... Maybe.
Alkyoni

Something scary, something sweet, something sad, something that rhymes with sad.

That sums up the 6th of the Morganville books.

Is it me, or did it feel like a last book in the series? It didn't even have a cliffhanger, which is kind of a trademark for Rachel Caine.

There's so many stuff happening, in all fronts. Some of them are typical Morganville stuff. There's a big bad villain, a feeling of disrepair, allies where you least expect them, enemies where you sure as hell expect them, a couple of n...more
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Quick review:

Cover: It’s okay
Rating: PG-17
Overall: On par with the rest of the series.
Characters: Well thought out.
Plot: Wrapping up some series questions and beginning anew with others.
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? Yes
Recommend: Sure
Book Boyfriend: Sam/Myrnin

SUMMARY (60 words or less)

What can I say about this book, finally. And I’ll leave that at that. For those of you that have read, you know what I’m referring too. I’m glad that we are done with this plot line. I’m ready t...more
 Rogue

I've actually really liked this series so far, but for this book I need to point out some 'down sides'.

Claire does some rather stupid things/ acts kinda stupid in the last half of the book. She's suppose to be really smart but she can't see what's going / happening around her even though I'm sure that pretty much anyone reading the book can and did figure out just about everything that is happening and is about to happen long before it does.
The truth has to smack her upside the head...more
Maria Snyder
I'm really enjoying this series. This is the first series besides Harry Potter that I've stuck with so long - 6 books is a record for me because I usually get bored with series books that go past 4 or 5 (maybe that's why I've been only writing 3 books in my series ;)

If you haven't had a chance to read this series, I suggest you do - start with Glass House and be prepared to be hooked :)
Nic
If I could give this book 10 stars I would. Definitely my favourite in the series and not just because of Shane and Claire (but I did read that part twice) but because of all the action, twist and turns, suspense and witty characters that you can't help but love. Adore this series and will be sad when it ends.
This was an okay story, but it was pretty dull compared to book 5.
Claire once again came across as naïve in this book, even though she seemed to have grown a little more mature in the last book. The way she expected people to just give her what she wanted with no thought to their own circumstance was just ridiculous. Has she learned nothing?

The storyline in this book was just so dull compared to the constant action of book 5. I found it pretty boring, and even the bits that were supposed to be m...more
Victoria
A very worthy and satisfying climax novel for the current chain of events happening in Morganville.

As climax novels are supposed to do, "Carpe Corpus" brought a lot of things to a head, weaving all kinds of suspenseful and long-awaited moments into the plot. I don't want to spoil, but there are big things happening in terms of death (I was very saddened by the death at the end), relationships (finally *wink*), and struggles for the freedom of Morganville. Vampires and humans band together to ous...more
Lunasea
I swear, I'm going to have to make a 7th star. That's for books I have to force myself to put down and not immediately reread it. Charlaine Harris' Dead and Gone came close, but this one I physically had to use one hand to remove the book from the other hand and place it down. Then I used one hand to grab the other wrist to prevent me from picking it up.

OMG was this book beyond amazing. It had an ending, an actual ending that actually left me satisfied.

Everything was incredible and I won't gush...more
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)

Amelie is nowhere to be seen and Bishop is now in charge, with Shane and his dad in prison, and Eve angry at both Claire and Michael, who are Bishop’s slaves, it is up to Myrnin to save them and Morganville. This is the first book in the series to not start straight after the last; it starts a few months after. This book changes everything in this series especially Claire and Shane’s relationship. I love the ending...more
Catherine
Another great installment of Morganville. Actually, this is probably my favorite one so far. I was surprised at each twist & turn the book took. And I may or may not have cried at one point. I can't wait to read the next one... And I'm not going to. I already started it. lol :)
Kate Nothem
Another great book in the series! Loved the character development and the more thorough introduction to Ada. Not as much action as the last book, which was nice. Love the Morganville vampires.
Wendy Darling
My favorite of the Morganville Vampire books so far...if only because there's finally some Shane action in it!
Heather Dalgarno
Book 6 in the Morganville Vampires series, and I must admit I'm getting pretty bored.

For a supposed genius the main character Claire Danvers can be pretty stupid at times. Painfully obvious plot twists appear to flummox this 'braniac' and I found this particularly frustrating. Unlike some of the other Morganville books I found myself in a rush to finish this one, so that I could move onto something a bit more fun.

In this installment we see the showdown between the evil Mr Bishop and the native v...more
Sophie *Ninja Rapunzel*
Shari
What can I say about these books that hasn't already been said? Rachel Caine is brilliant, six books into a series and she can still throw in plot twists and turns that keep me guessing every single time! I know when I pick up one of these books that I can't have anything important to do because once I start I'm not going to stop until I'm done!

The characters are perfection every book. I love how Claire gets stronger and stronger, she has really learned how to hold her own. Mrynin, oh my gawd!...more
Schnaucl
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

Claire and her friends are divided over the recent events in Morganville. Shane's locked up with his father. Michael's working for the evil Bishop along with Claire - while Eve is furious with both of them.

Claire needs to believe the Myrnin has a plan, but she's not sure she can actually trust him.

Bishop is running the town and pushing it close to ruin. He doesn't care about any of the citizens. Claire realizes that Amelie hasn't gone into the shad...more
Corie (corrie)
Faith McKay
This was my favorite so far! Myrnin is on my list of favorite vampires, ever. The introduction of Ada was fantastic and I'm looking forward to see where that goes.

There are still odd little inconsistencies from the previous books, which jump out and bite me. I mostly shrug them off, though.
Abbie
Carpe Corpus wasn't awful, but it wasn't that great either.

The characters had some moments where i liked them, but other times they really annoyed me.
I was starting to see why i loved the characters the first time i read it, but i'm now wondering why i liked them so much again!

The pacing in this one was quite slow, and the interesting bit didn't interest me that much.

This series is like a roller coaster - It's constantly going up and down! One book is rubbish, the next book is great, then the...more
Peace Love and Reviews
Reviewed on it's release date:

Book 6 is where the cliff hanger from Lord of Misrule ends. At first you'll get the feeling that our beloved Claire is seriously in a very pitiful, helpless situation. Our beloved Shane is in captivity / hostage and Mr. Bishop is just being Mr. Bishop and the usual gang of the Glass House are obviously on their own. But not for long, be patient. Shane was set free but with a heartbreaking consequence, One of the good vampires die and I found myself being extremely s...more
YA Reads Book Reviews
Carpe Corpus finds Claire Danvers in more trouble than ever before. Her boyfriend is locked up in jail, Eve isn’t talking to her, Amelie appears to have lost her nerve (and control of the town) and Michael has switched teams, preferring to ride with Bishop and his bad boys. Things couldn’t get much worse than that, right?

Wrong.

Bishop is out for blood – anyone’s blood. Morganville is headed for a full-scale war, and poor little Claire is right in the thick of it. With Amelie out of action, Claire...more
Steven Peterson
This represents Book Six in "The Morganville Vampires" series. Should you read the other volumes before this one? I didn't feel that it took too much to know what was going on. The author, Rachel Caine, provided context for this book so that the naïve reader of Book Six could navigate the characters pretty handily.

Morganville represents a community that had come under the rule of vampires. One rather poignant fact--the vampires are suffering from some sort of illness, and the population of vamp...more
Stephanie
Jumping right in to the story, Carpe Corpus immediately brings us expecting more and finding out what had happened in Morganville. Completely intense and very nerve-racking because you HAVE to find out what happened with Claire, the Bishop and the rest of the vampires.

I loved this book. I loved how anticipating it is and how the readers have to keep guessing on who's on whose side. Betrayal and revenge are at its best in this novel.

And Claire. Because of the tattoo that Bishop had marked her, sh...more
Fiendishly Bookish
Well when we last left Claire Danvers in Lord of Misrule, the proverbial poop had definitely hit the fan. Bishop (with Myrnin's help) had pulled the coup of coups, Amelie was defeated (well only slightly rumpled), the Morganville rebellion had been quashed and were hurting pretty bad. Shane, his dad, and the beefy motorcycle slayers had been captured or killed, and Michael had been turned to the dark side. (let's now say that in a sinister voice: The Daaaark Side)

And Monica...was Monica. Still...more
  • Blood Feud (Drake Chronicles, #2)
  • Immortal: Love Stories with Bite
  • Girls That Growl (Blood Coven Vampire, #3)
  • Royal Blood (Vampire Kisses, #6)
  • The Eternal Kiss: 13 Vampire Tales of Blood and Desire
  • My Soul to Steal (Soul Screamers, #4)
  • Betrayals (Strange Angels, #2)
  • Hourglass (Evernight, #3)
  • One More Bite (Jaz Parks, #5)
  • Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires, #2)
Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires, #1) Midnight Alley (The Morganville Vampires, #3) Feast of Fools (The Morganville Vampires, #4) The Dead Girls' Dance (The Morganville Vampires, #2) Lord of Misrule (The Morganville Vampires, #5)

“Not nearly enough. Not recently, anyway.” And she was sad about that.
“I know,” he said, and kissed the back of her hand. “We’ll fix it. Get some sleep.”
“Night,” she said, and watched him walk toward the door. “Hey. How’d you get in?”
He wiggled his fingers at her in a spooky oogie-boogie pantomime. “I’m a vampire. I have secret powers ,” he said with a full-on fake Transylvanian accent, which he dropped to say, “Actually, your mom let me in.”
“Seriously? My mom? Let you in my room? In the middle of the night?”
He shrugged. “Moms like me.”
He gave her a full-on Hollywood grin, and slipped out the door.”
289 likes
“God, I needed you," he murmured. "I can't even tell you how many times I thought about this. The funny thing is, I don't need you any less now. I think I need you more."
~Shane~”