Angel: After the Fall, Volume 2: First Night

Angel: After the Fall, Volume 2: First Night (Angel: After the Fall #2)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  1,204 ratings  ·  73 reviews
The second softcover collection of IDW's smash-hit Angel: After the Fall! First Night begins! What happened on the very night Los Angeles went straight to hell, the incident that ended the Angel television series with such a shocking cliffhanger? Why did the team go their separate ways? And how did Connor rise up to become one of Hell's greatest champions?
Published November 11th 2009 by IDW Publishing (first published April 2nd 2008)

Joel
Nov 02, 2010 Joel rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: not thieves that's for sure.
Someone in Oak Park is a kleptomaniac with a thing for Angel comics, because he stole volume 1 and 3 of this series from the library. I can tell because the online reservation system shows they were due on the same day, three months ago. A hex upon thee, library thief!

So I had to order these from other libraries, which is annoying because there is no way to control the order in which they arrive. For example, I got volume 2 first. I checked it out anyway, just in case the thief was planning to s...more
Sesana
Volume two dosn't pick up where the first volume left off. Instead, it goes back in the chronology to cover what happened right after the show ended. You know, events that volume one completely skipped over. I'm not complaining about seeing this, since it's the number one reason I picked up After the Fall in the first place. But it would have been nice if this storyline hadn't been inserted in the middle of the ongoing storyline from volume one. It's also irritatingly short, only three issues. I...more
Nicole Fergusson
Once again, I read this comic in one night, and once again it was at the behest of my girlfriend. Well, to be fair, we had just finished introducing her to Angel: the Series, and of course I couldn't hold myself back from raving about 'what happens next'.

While she was on a sofa reading the first set of comics, I sat back and went through the First Night saga. In it, we have characters we'd expect to see experiencing their first night after L.A. is pulled down into hell: Spike, Lorne, Gunn, Wesle...more
Britta § Nachteule §
Jun 18, 2014 Britta § Nachteule § rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Angel-Fans who couldn't get enough, like me! ;-)
4.5 I-Love-You-Angel-Stars

This episode doesn't start, where Angel: After The Fall Vol.1 left us. First we get some glimpses of the individual storys about our friends directly after or rather while Los Angeles goes to hell.
But then we are back at the fight Angel vs. Lords of Los Angeles.

Still there are many questions open about:
Who is good?
Who is bad?
What is the big plan of Wolfram & Hart?

And the big plan of the universe?
What's it about Gunn?

And when one question is answered a new one sh...more
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: Next in the series.

Summary: After the shocking ending of Vol. 1, Vol. 2 leaves us hanging and backs up in time to the first night after the ending of the television series. This book is smaller containing only 3 comics that contain vignettes of all the characters showing us where they ended up that first night, why they are no longer all together and how they came to be in the situations we find them in Vol. 1. Angel himself is not in this volume at all, which is a little odd...more
The_Mad_Swede
The second volume of Angel: After the Fall is a slight let down. Leaving the main story, that was left at the end of the last volume (or issue #5 if you will), this volume (collecting issues #6–8, a mere three issues) gives us the interlude: First Night.

The idea is that after having been thrown into the action after the apocalyptic action over the previous five issues, we are now to be shown what happened on the very first night when L.A. fell into Hell. Or more precisely, what happened to a lot...more
Michele Lee
It's here that the major flaw in switching a TV series to a comic series becomes evident; while I've greatly enjoyed the writing, art and story lines so far the second volume of the Angel series is a series of short reflections back to the night when Wolfram & Hart flung LA into Hell. It's emotional and engaging, but it's way too short and at $20 ($10 used) a pop it's just dissatisfying that there won't be another episode next week.

I like, love, these characters and would follow them throug...more
Aaron
The first volume in the series might have felt like a bit of a jump from the very end of the series, but Whedon and his team has produced a series of vignettes that explains what happened to each of the major characters (as well as the city's citizens) the night Los Angeles fell to the forces of Hell. What set them up on the path that led them to make the choices they have made?

The hardest part of the end of the series was that it just ended with a cliffhanger. Angel and his friends were literal...more
Rachel
Rather than one long story arc, this short volume (with a long title) tells a number of short stories, each about a different character, which all take place surrounding the same event: L.A. going to Hell. Warning: This means the stories take place chronologically before the events of Angel:After the Fall Volume 1 and do NOT continue that story. 2nd warning (or bonus, for some): Angel is not one of those characters. He's not in this book.

I'm really please that they decided to go ahead with this...more
M
Following Joss Whedon's triumphant return to the Angel-verse in the first book, this second volume takes the time to chronicle the events following the Wolfram and Hart battle. Angel takes a dive off a building, discovering the hard way that he has been turned human. Spike thinks he's out of the game, but still allows his inner hero to take over. The timeshifts of Illyria revert her back and forth to Fred, forcing Spike to take her under his protection. Kate makes her return, inspiring the now-w...more
faeriemyst
Mar 31, 2010 faeriemyst rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Buffy & Angel addicts who need their fix
So far my opinion of the Angel continuation is much higher than the Buffy graphic novels. The plot is a lot more engaging and makes some sort of sense, (most of) the artwork really grabs me, and I just enjoy them a whole heck of a lot more. I enjoyed reading what happened to everyone immediately 'after the fall' into Hell and liked the different feel to each story. This had the Trifecta of Angel-y goodness: it had drama, it had action, it had humor! *singing: "It had style, it had grace, it had...more
Loren
It was good. It wasn't great but it worked conceptually and I guess that was the point.

My favourite thing about this volume is it utilises a wide selection of artists to get the job done. What this means is that we no longer have to suffer through the 'art' of the first volume and are presented with some really beautiful and convincing images (see wesley's story). Of course there are the lesser artists as well; Civilians, Lorne.

Still I remain happy in the knowledge that the old artist is droppe...more
Hayley Knighten
Angel: After the Fall vol. 1 started after the apocalypse was well under way. As the title suggests, First Night takes us back to the night from the last episode of the television show and shows us how each of the main characters found themselves in their current predicaments.

First Night is separated into mini stories, each only a few pages long, each named for the character they follow, and each with a unique look and feel to match. I particularly enjoyed the Lorne story. The art looks like an...more
Danny
Leaving us with a pretty big cliffhanger, what better way to proceed the story than to look back and clear up a few things? Joss knows how to annoy and inflict pain.

This volume takes us pretty much everywhere except for Angel himself. So, yeah, Fred/Illyria, Lorne, Spike, Gunn, Wesley, etc.

They're all good in terms of clearing up what happened that first night following the fight, but none managed to continue the excitement that was present in the first volume that followed the TV series.

With...more
Jay Belt
Be careful what you wish for...

With my review of Vol 1. I mentioned I wanted the stories of what happened after the cliffhanger ending of Season 5 Angel. Well Vol 2 delivers this...and only this. The story I was following on Vol 1 was set aside for Vol 3. And Vol 2 was just a collection of David Lynch writing each members story (except Angel) while various artist drew. Um. You kinda hooked me with the Vol 1 story. A little late now. I wanted to continue that, not be side-barred by this other boo...more
Brian
A good read, and well-done art....but it only gets 2 stars because it's not very...um...user-friendly?

What do I mean by this? Angel has been off the air how long now? Since this is picking up after the final episode I really would have liked to see a 'previously on Angel' kind of recap. At the least, a character recap. My memory isn't so bad that I can't recall the main characters. But there are some minor characters who turn up in this tome that I barely remember.

So this book isn't a great ent...more
Simon
Terrible stories. Terrible art. Terrible continuation of all the terrible ideas that festered in Angel. Just. Terrible.
Marco
The stories aren't that bad per se, but three issues worth for 22 bucks?! Even for a hardcover: no way!
Cameron
Betta George cracks me up. There were many memorable lines and moments throughout the story, hence rescuing the star rating from a 2, but the overall feel of the graphic novel is rather sloppy, mayhap because it features different artists, but more in the often times chunky and brief stories. I sometimes wondered if I had missed something, odd considering that some stories only lasted a few pages, if that. Lynch's addendums in the back of the graphic novel served more to clarify the stories than...more
Wt Prater
I have been very resistant to reading After the Fall, but so far, I am really enjoying them.
Caroline
This volume actually gives the stories of how all the major characters have wound up in the situations they are, as it involves the first night when Los Angelos is pulled into Hell. This is a much smaller collection than the first volume, and each character's story is short and to-the-point before swapping over to another character. There really isn't much content per character--just enough to get the idea of some of what motivates them.

Parts of this, art-wise, are much stronger than the first v...more
Emily
Volume 2 of Angel: After the Fall is a series of vignettes all written by Brian Lynch, but drawn by a variety of artists, letting us know what happened to various characters on the First Night After the Fall.
It's interesting to see the different interpretations the artists have of the characters and the story, and fun to see the threads running through all of them.
The hardcover also includes some behind the scenes commentary from Lynch which is excellent and displays exactly why Joss chose him t...more
Oracleofdoom
So little here. Some of it was very compelling, particularly the section about Spike and Fred/Illyria. And Wesley. I would've loved more of that. I would've loved ANY of Angel. I felt pretty cheated that he wasn't present in this book at all.

Some of the artwork is gorgeous, and some of it is kinda hideous. What in the world have they done to Kate? She looks AWFUL. I can't stand to see her in here, and I liked her character in the series.

Overall, my feeling is let down, but I'm hoping it gets a...more
Şule
5 stars for Groosablog <3
John
Nice to get some backstory between Not Fade Away and the beginning of After the Fall, but due to the different writers and separated characters, this arc is more disjointed than the first. The Wesley arc was a highlight, as was the appearance by Kate and the reveal about Gwen's powers, while the Lorne bits and the inexplicable Betta George weren't so much. Not that Betta George isn't funny, but I have no context for the character having never read Spike Asylum. Maybe I'll get a better handle in...more
Jason Seaver
A decent enough installment of the "Season Six" comic series, although a distressingly light one - three issues worth for $18 is something like a 50% markup from buying the singles, and the cover gallery and commentary doesn't quite make up the value for money. It's interesting to see what the characters were doing between the end of the TV series and the beginning of the comic, although I'm starting to worry that the series is getting a little too soapy and heavy on capital-d destiny, even for...more
Brenda
This was okay, but I was a little disappointed after the excellence of volume 1. I also wasn't too big on the flashback aspect, and just wanted to get back to the current story. I'd probably have been even more annoyed if I were reading it in comic book form, and couldn't just go out and get the next volume.

It's been a little while since I've last watched Angel, and I can't even remember a couple of these characters, so I really don't care to read a backstory about them.
Alicia
Volume 1 jumped us a few months ahead after the Angel TV series finale/massive cliffhanger; now volume 2 is backtracking to what happened to a large cast of individuals the night when LA literally went to hell. We'll see if these vignettes actually integrate into the arc or whether they're just interesting asides. I found the variety of different artists a bit distracting, but that might not be the case if I had read the issues separately with weeks in between.
  • Angel: Aftermath (Volume 5)
  • Angel: Immortality For Dummies
  • Angel & Faith: Daddy Issues (Angel & Faith, #2)
  • Tales of the Vampires (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #2)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Predators and Prey (Season 8, #5)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Wolves at the Gate (Season 8, #3)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: No Future for You (Season 8, #2)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Welcome to the Team (Season 9, #4)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Twilight (Season 8, #7)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Vol. 4
  • Spike Omnibus
Brian Michael Lynch is an American film and comic book writer.
More about Brian Lynch...
Angel: After the Fall, Volume 1 Angel: After the Fall, Volume 3 Spike: After the Fall Angel: After the Fall, Volume 4 Spike: Asylum