Start by marking “Liner Notes” as Want to Read:
Liner Notes

Liner Notes

Side A: Laney's Going Solo
Laney has just finished graduate school in California and sees her cross-country drive as the perfect chance to reflect on the past before facing her future back East. With 3,000 miles ahead of her and a box of mix tapes as her only companion, she envisions a trip spent reminiscing; whether it's her first camp kisses, high school parties and cru
Published October 7th 2003 by Gallery Books (first published September 30th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Liner Notes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Liner Notes

Cindy Wyatt
Jun 28, 2013 Cindy Wyatt rated it did not like it
I read this book when I was taking a break from the Lincoln book and wanted to read something light but I was disappointed. The author tries to tackle too many themes - reviewing one's life through popular music, dealing with a critically ill parent, mother-daughter communication, cross-country road trip, reconciling with old friends - and the result is a bit of a mess.
Susie
Feb 14, 2016 Susie rated it liked it
actual rating 3.5 - Here is the thing I wanted from this book - a CD of all of the playlists. Many songs listed in the mixed tapes Laney made or someone made for her were songs that I had never heard. Otherwise, I liked the road trip descriptions. I liked that Laney and her mother connected during the road trip. I thought the ending a tad too predictable.
Julie Ehlers
Jul 25, 2014 Julie Ehlers rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: tossed-aside
This book was blurbed by Tom Perrotta, which made me think it might actually be funny. Or, you know, good. It isn't. I spent three weeks trying to get through this before I finally gave up. But if you think a featureless main character reminiscing endlessly about her past boyfriends sounds like fascinating stuff, this is the book for you.
Hilda
Jul 25, 2007 Hilda rated it liked it
this book is...well, a chick book. it's about a late twenty-something who is road tripping back from LA to her family's home in Boston (i think, it's been a couple of years). it's first person, and we learn about this woman's life through her mix-tapes she has made since she was a little girl.

mostly, i remember how interested i was by her life, the author did i really great job of fleshing out the character and her life, and i think it just brings me back to the place i was at in 2005--boarding
Allison
Jun 21, 2011 Allison rated it really liked it
A re-read. Laney has graduated from her master's program in California and is about to start a job on the east coast. She opts to forgo the easy out of flying home, and decides to road trip across the country, listening to mix tapes from her past. In a change of plans, her mother decides to come along. Once her mother spots the box of tapes, she won't let up until Laney shares her history with her mother. We're along for the ride, which is mostly told in past stories via the tapes (the book incl ...more
Dawn
Jun 04, 2013 Dawn rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Almost everyone has a soundtrack to different parts of their lives and this book simply a story about a young woman's soundtrack as she travels across country with her mother as a way to form a closer bond between the two. Overall, there wasn't really anything exceptional about it, but it does make for a decent summer reading.
Sep 01, 2007 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anybody who made mix tapes back in the day
I picked this book up at a used book sale and was pleasantly surprised to find a more complex and interesting book than the chick lit cover and back page would suggest. Though the idea of mix tapes runs throughout, this novel explores mother-daughter relationships and fears of committment in a highly readable way.
Hildy DeFrisco
Apr 30, 2012 Hildy DeFrisco rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookclub
Loved this concept of review her life in song. I do this! I associate songs. When I hear Joni Mitchell come on I think of our house in the Berkeley Hills the last year of college for example.
Camille
Mar 05, 2009 Camille rated it liked it
An interesting take on a mother-daughter relationship but the songs thing just comes across as gimmicky. An average to good read that doesn't quite live up to its potential.
Kelly
Nov 02, 2007 Kelly rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the 'soundtrack' with each experience - brought back many memories of my own. I thought the ending was all wrapped up with a big shiny bow but it worked.
Mar 24, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
Reading this book while listening to Dave Matthews Band made me re-live a lot of memories, and remember all the mix tapes I made along the way!
Barbara
Jan 10, 2016 Barbara rated it it was amazing
I liked it a lot; I classify it as smart chick lit, or the female equivalent of Nick Hornby's High Fidelity.
Julie
Aug 06, 2014 Julie rated it did not like it
Scanned to finish. It seemed to be the same thing, over and over and over. A most disappointing novel
Krista
May 27, 2012 Krista rated it really liked it
A fun, nostalgic look back at life through "mix tapes," gotta love that!
Jette
Apr 11, 2008 Jette rated it liked it
Mother & daughter relating on a car trip by listening to music.
Amanda Harper
Mar 18, 2009 Amanda Harper rated it really liked it
This book made me want to make mix tapes for everything!
stillme
Feb 01, 2008 stillme rated it liked it
Recommended to stillme by: Danielle
Makes you want to make your own mix.
S.
S. marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Allison Kramer
Allison Kramer marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Carol
Carol rated it it was ok
Jul 30, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Maricruz
Maricruz marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Shootingstar006
Shootingstar006 marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Amy
Amy added it
Apr 11, 2016
Jennifer Dudley
Jennifer Dudley marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Lisa Metcalfe
Lisa Metcalfe is currently reading it
Mar 30, 2016
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Annie Sewell
Annie Sewell marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
  • The Afterlife and Other Stories
  • Selected Tales and Sketches
  • The Ghost Stories of Muriel Spark
  • Separation Anxiety
  • What Are You Optimistic About?: Today's Leading Thinkers on Why Things Are Good and Getting Better
  • Correcting the Landscape: A Novel
  • The Mammoth Book of Oddballs and Eccentrics
  • 21 Steps to Happiness
  • Europe on a Shoestring
Growing up, Emily Franklin wanted to be “a singing, tap-dancing doctor who writes books.”

Having learned early on that she has little to no dancing ability, she left the tap world behind, studied at Oxford University, and received an undergraduate degree concentrating in writing and neuroscience from Sarah Lawrence College. Though she gave serious thought to a career in medicine, eventually that ca
More about Emily Franklin...