Start by marking “The Survivor Personality” as Want to Read:
The Survivor Personality
Al Siebert

The Survivor Personality

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Who survives? Who thrives? As a psychologist who has spent more than 40 years studying the phenomenon of survival, Al Siebert shares both valuable insights and practical strategies in this book, painting a portrait of the "survivor personality" to show how these skills can lead to better coping in everyday life.
Published December 31st 1993 by Practical Psychology Press (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Survivor Personality, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Survivor Personality

Jaime Buckley
One of the all-time brilliant books on self-discovery, which helped me through a desperate transition in my life. At one point it helped me cope with negative events that had me contemplating suicide. Yes, it's that good.

There is a struggle within many of us who trust in the views and perspectives of others. Over time, negative comments taint our own perceptions of self and some, like myself, spiral into a depression.

This book takes you into yourself from the perspective of 'everything has a r
قلم الظل
من ألذ الكتب التي قرأتها ، لديه بعض الإشكالات البسيطة و الغير مستغربة من الغربيين لكن في مجمله كتاب رائع استمتعت بكل معلومة وكل ورقة فيه، أنصح به وبشدة
I had such hopes for this book, but there's plenty of stupid, like the "positive thinking healing" chapter which tells you to not let stupid old doctors push you around. It just made me sad thinking about Steve Jobs the whole time I read it.

But there is some good here. In fact, let me sum it up for you: Good survivors are alert, recognize changes in the situation, adapt quickly to these changes, and believe that they can make good things come about by their work. Also, there's a diagram.

Yes, the
meh. not what I thought it would be. more self-help psychology (and pretty bland stuff, at that) and less examination of actual survivors of crises and disasters and what makes them tick. possibly my fault for misunderstanding the premise of the book.

This is a good book. The author was one of the experts on the topic until his death.

It is well written and not too long. If you like to browse books rather than read them through, you will find the chapter divisions, anecdotes, and "exercises for the reader" to be useful.

Seibert says that "playful curiousity" is a good habit to cultivate, because it keeps you focused on the present and immediate future, and on what you can control.

He also says that "bi-phasic" personality style can be helpful
I'd recommend Al Siebert's books to anyone. The information is helpful, and he writes it in a way that makes it easy to understand. They are definitely ones that I will want to re-read from time to time, to help the ideas sink in.

If you are looking for ways to make changes in your life, to be stronger, I suggest you look at his books.
While some ideas were good I felt others were extreme and unbalanced. I stopped reading it after skimming parts ahead. Basically if you are a survivor you choose to be and you accept that different situations call for you to stick it out and follow through while others will test you to know when to fold em and retreat!
G.T. Trickle
Excellent reference book for anyone who constantly reads to understand human behaviors. Great reference guide for writers who are developing character backgrounds/behaviors.
I read The Survivor Personality while working for the Center for Social Research at Lehigh University. We were interviewing individuals in an attempt to find out what/how/why they were resilient adults. This book has a generous menu of suggestions for confronting difficult challenges. Al Siebert has written about valuable insights into the qualities and habits that help human beings overcome difficult situations. Too much information for what I needed. Reads like a textbook.
Alaa Bahabri
كتاب يتحدث عن "الصمود" ،عند المحن,,
لم أحب أسلوبه، ولا المعلومات التي فيه
ككل كتب تطوير النفس,,
Jo Franz
Fantastic book! A friend of ours who is a counselor told me that every time he picked up this book it reminded him of me. That alone made me want to read it and I understand why he said that now. I feel touched because it is true--I am a SURVIVOR!
Oct 29, 2011 Jakki rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those struggling with life
Shelves: self-help
Mostly pretty dry reading but several encouraging, hopeful stories of people experiencing horrible things who survived and succeeded in life. Lots of exercises to do if wanted but there's a lot - might be too much for some.
Worth taking a look at, if only for the sections on dealing with negative/angry people and on self-managed healing. The biggest lesson for me overall is that a true survival instinct must come from inside.
Eric Kebker
Not as good as Deep Survival, but an easier read. More of a self-help book
James Brown
James Brown marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Sean marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Tara marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Sam Gibbs
Sam Gibbs marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Carrie Johnston
Carrie Johnston marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
Joe marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Brandy Wilkins
Brandy Wilkins marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Katie marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Syamim added it
Aug 15, 2015
Alexander Shanov
Alexander Shanov marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Oliver Dixon
Oliver Dixon marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Matt Mccullars
Matt Mccullars marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
  • Interior Design with Feng Shui
  • The Western Guide To Feng Shui: Creating Balance, Harmony, and Prosperity in Your Environment
  • The Abstract Wild
  • The Prepper's Pocket Guide: 101 Easy Things You Can Do to Ready Your Home for a Disaster
  • SoulSpace: Creating a Home That Is Free of Clutter, Full of Beauty, and Inspired by You
  • Build the Perfect Bug Out Bag: Your 72-Hour Disaster Survival Kit
  • The Survivors Club: The Secrets and Science that Could Save Your Life
  • Everyday Survival: Why Smart People Do Stupid Things
  • When Technology Fails: A Manual for Self-Reliance & Planetary Survival
  • North To The Night: A Spiritual Odyssey In The Arctic
  • Do What You Love, The Money Will Follow: Discovering Your Right Livelihood
  • The New Detox Diet: The Complete Guide for Lifelong Vitality with Recipes, Menus, and Detox Plans
  • Cut to the Chase: and 99 Other Rules to Liberate Yourself and Gain Back the Gift of Time
  • The Power of Resilience: Achieving Balance, Confidence, and Personal Strength in Your Life
  • At a Journal Workshop
  • The 8th Habit Personal Workbook: Strategies to Take You from Effectiveness to Greatness
  • The Island Within
  • Living the Martial Way: A Manual for the Way of Modern Warrior Should Think
The Resiliency Advantage: Master Change, Thrive Under Pressure, and Bounce Back from Setbacks The Adult Student's Guide to Survival and Success Resiliency: The Power to Bounce Back The Adult Student's Guide to Survival & Success The Survivor Personality: How to thrive and survive in any life crisis