Start by marking “The Survivor Personality” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Survivor Personality

Al Siebert

The Survivor Personality

Who survives? Who thrives? As a psychologist who has spent more than 40 years studying the phenomenon of survival, Al Siebert shares both valuable insights and practical strategies in this book, painting a portrait of the "survivor personality" to show how these skills can lead to better coping in everyday life.
Published December 31st 1993 by Practical Psychology Press (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Survivor Personality, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Survivor Personality

Jaime Buckley
Jun 06, 2011 Jaime Buckley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the all-time brilliant books on self-discovery, which helped me through a desperate transition in my life. At one point it helped me cope with negative events that had me contemplating suicide. Yes, it's that good.

There is a struggle within many of us who trust in the views and perspectives of others. Over time, negative comments taint our own perceptions of self and some, like myself, spiral into a depression.

This book takes you into yourself from the perspective of 'everything has a r
قلم الظل
Nov 29, 2014 قلم الظل rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
من ألذ الكتب التي قرأتها ، لديه بعض الإشكالات البسيطة و الغير مستغربة من الغربيين لكن في مجمله كتاب رائع استمتعت بكل معلومة وكل ورقة فيه، أنصح به وبشدة
Mary
Jan 30, 2012 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: survival
I had such hopes for this book, but there's plenty of stupid, like the "positive thinking healing" chapter which tells you to not let stupid old doctors push you around. It just made me sad thinking about Steve Jobs the whole time I read it.

But there is some good here. In fact, let me sum it up for you: Good survivors are alert, recognize changes in the situation, adapt quickly to these changes, and believe that they can make good things come about by their work. Also, there's a diagram.

Yes, the
Jonathan
Dec 06, 2013 Jonathan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
meh. not what I thought it would be. more self-help psychology (and pretty bland stuff, at that) and less examination of actual survivors of crises and disasters and what makes them tick. possibly my fault for misunderstanding the premise of the book.
Christine
Worth taking a look at, if only for the sections on dealing with negative/angry people and on self-managed healing. The biggest lesson for me overall is that a true survival instinct must come from inside.
Charles
Sep 12, 2009 Charles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is a good book. The author was one of the experts on the topic until his death.

It is well written and not too long. If you like to browse books rather than read them through, you will find the chapter divisions, anecdotes, and "exercises for the reader" to be useful.

Seibert says that "playful curiousity" is a good habit to cultivate, because it keeps you focused on the present and immediate future, and on what you can control.

He also says that "bi-phasic" personality style can be helpful
Pamela S
May 27, 2016 Pamela S rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is not just about being a 'survivor' of any kind of miseries, but rather being a 'survivor' of this journey of life. Some great points are mentioned in this book, such as how self-esteem, self-confidence and self-concept relate to change of dynamic in relationships. In addition, the author also touches on the importance of developing strong inner 'selfs' to be more resilient when life throws any challenges or obstacles and to not depend on external factors to define who we are as they ...more
Judy
Nov 07, 2010 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read The Survivor Personality while working for the Center for Social Research at Lehigh University. We were interviewing individuals in an attempt to find out what/how/why they were resilient adults. This book has a generous menu of suggestions for confronting difficult challenges. Al Siebert has written about valuable insights into the qualities and habits that help human beings overcome difficult situations. Too much information for what I needed. Reads like a textbook.
Siobhan
Nov 03, 2014 Siobhan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While some ideas were good I felt others were extreme and unbalanced. I stopped reading it after skimming parts ahead. Basically if you are a survivor you choose to be and you accept that different situations call for you to stick it out and follow through while others will test you to know when to fold em and retreat!
Martha
May 29, 2015 Martha rated it it was amazing
I'd recommend Al Siebert's books to anyone. The information is helpful, and he writes it in a way that makes it easy to understand. They are definitely ones that I will want to re-read from time to time, to help the ideas sink in.

If you are looking for ways to make changes in your life, to be stronger, I suggest you look at his books.
Jo Franz
Nov 02, 2011 Jo Franz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book! A friend of ours who is a counselor told me that every time he picked up this book it reminded him of me. That alone made me want to read it and I understand why he said that now. I feel touched because it is true--I am a SURVIVOR!
Jakki
Oct 29, 2011 Jakki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those struggling with life
Shelves: self-help
Mostly pretty dry reading but several encouraging, hopeful stories of people experiencing horrible things who survived and succeeded in life. Lots of exercises to do if wanted but there's a lot - might be too much for some.
G.T. Trickle
Sep 29, 2014 G.T. Trickle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
Excellent reference book for anyone who constantly reads to understand human behaviors. Great reference guide for writers who are developing character backgrounds/behaviors.
Dr.J.G.
No great insight here, but generally good cataloguing of traits commonly possessed by those that survive all sorts of things, tragedies and more.
Tammy
Tammy rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2016
Joanne
Joanne rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2012
Travis Rask
Travis Rask rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2013
Curtis Wolford
Curtis Wolford rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2013
Amy Choiniere
Amy Choiniere rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2013
Jesse Allen
Jesse Allen rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2014
Nadine Carlson
Nadine Carlson rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2015
Abby
Abby rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2014
Adam
Adam rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2015
Cemre Koyuncu
Cemre Koyuncu rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2015
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2016
Richard
Richard rated it it was ok
Mar 01, 2014
Helen
Helen rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2012
Dziewanna
Dziewanna rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2012
  • Cool Careers For Dummies
  • Snake Oil And Other Preoccupations
  • The Abstract Wild
  • The Survivors Club: The Secrets and Science that Could Save Your Life
  • The Prepper's Pocket Guide: 101 Easy Things You Can Do to Ready Your Home for a Disaster
  • Everyday Survival: Why Smart People Do Stupid Things
  • When Technology Fails: A Manual for Self-Reliance & Planetary Survival
  • North To The Night: A Spiritual Odyssey In The Arctic
  • Do What You Love, The Money Will Follow: Discovering Your Right Livelihood
  • Build the Perfect Bug Out Bag: Your 72-Hour Disaster Survival Kit
  • Deep Ecology for the Twenty-First Century
  • Upgraded Chef: 12 Core Recipes to Supercharge Your Body & Brain
  • A Conservationist Manifesto
  • The New Detox Diet: The Complete Guide for Lifelong Vitality with Recipes, Menus, and Detox Plans
  • The Power of Resilience: Achieving Balance, Confidence, and Personal Strength in Your Life
  • Streetlights and Shadows: Searching for the Keys to Adaptive Decision Making (Bradford Books)
  • A History of Japan, 1615-1867