Start by marking “The Transmogrification of Roscoe Wizzle” as Want to Read:
The Transmogrification of Roscoe Wizzle

The Transmogrification of Roscoe Wizzle

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Roscoe Wizzle was a normal ten-year-old kid before a sign reading "Coming Soon! Gussy's!" sprang up in a vacant lot. The sign showed a big picture of Gussy Gorilla eating a Jungle Drum--just about the biggest hamburger in the world. Roscoe Wizzle, hamburger fan, was a normal kid all right--until he started to turn into a bug. Unabridged.
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published May 29th 2001 by Listening Library (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Transmogrification of Roscoe Wizzle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Transmogrification of Roscoe Wizzle

Michelle. D.
This book was unique. I'm sure that the idea of the book was never done before which is great, but it wasn't amazing. It was just fr enjoyment. I read it for school, which is good if you are reading the book for an assignment, but I wouldn't read it if I didn't have to. The events are clear and the writing is simple. This book would be good for like a 2nd grader but not for a 3rd grader. I just think that for some reason. I guess that book just made me feel that way. I read this in grade 4 so I ...more
Lora
Elliott tells this story through Roscoe’s point of view. It’s each unique character’s personality and the way Roscoe describes his surrounding that make this book interesting. Unlike other humorous stories meant for children; this book is filled with much more dry humor and sarcasm. Younger children might not always understand the humor on the page, but will definitely find the overarching plot of Roscoe’s transmogrification very funny. Incorporating fantasy into the plotline also adds to the hu ...more
Catharine
It just didn't have enough to it. I think the story line needed some more fleshed out writing and building suspense. It was just too short to do this well.
Debnance
Another Christmas book (probably another purchased for one cent!) led me to acquire this children’s book from the library last week. Roscoe Wizzle leads a quiet life; his father needs quiet after a day testing cymbals and his mother needs quiet because she is an orphan. Supper preparation becomes too much for the parents, leading them to send young Roscoe down to the new fast food Gussy’s each night for dinner. After six months of eating Jungle Drums (a semi-hamburger) for dinner each night, Ros ...more
Jenny
Book club book for Amber's classroom in 4th Grade
Peter
Read aloud 6-10, read alone 8-12. Fun read about a fourth grade boy who is slowly transforming into a bug. Quick and fun. Don't think too hard, it's not trying to parody Kafka, it stands by itself.
Natalie
Quirky book that I picked up based on the title reference to The Transmigration of Timothy Archer.

The first chapters are the strongest, with quite a few great jokes.. but I started to lose interest towards the middle. .. nevertheless, I can see a goofy 9 year old getting into it.
Kate Hastings
RL940. A young science fiction book about a fast food restaurant that turns kids into bugs with tainted burgers. Probably good for discussions about eating habits and hazardous waste/environmental issues.

The only downfall of the book is that I felt the characters were rather flat. I never bonded with any of them or felt invested in the story. A short read that will likely appeal to Pinkwater and Scieszka fans.
Tami

It's at times a fun, light-hearted read broken up by moments of boredom. It doesn't quite achieve either a parody or a re-telling of Kafka's METAMORPHOSIS. Willie's character is not clear. Many characters' motivations are ambiguous or just plain confusing. Although an easy read, I was disappointed in it because there is an underlying structure that could haave been so much more.
Nono
Very sill and sure to appeal to the 3rd grade boy in everyone. Roscoe comes from a very boring and rather strange family. When the new burger place opens in town he starts eating there every day. Soon though children start disappearing in town. And then a classmate comments on the fact that Roscoe is starting to look like a BUG! What's going on??
Laura (booksnob)
A really fun easy read that I think reluctant readers or boys might really enjoy. It is about a 10 year old boy named Roscoe who begins to tranmogrify into a bug. What ensues is a fun, yet thought provoking story. I encourage you to read it along with your child to talk about some of the themes in the book, like fast food or environmentalism.
Cornmaven
This is a really cute book. The reviews say it's like Kafka's Metamorphosis and Roald Dahl together, and I agree. It's just a fun book, and like the author intended, all's well at the end. Boys will like it, and I think a kid who doesn't normally like to read would like it well enough to stick with it.
Sheri
Read this book to some 5th and 6th grade kids. They were not impressed but it was funny how a boy turns into a bug after eating too much fast food. Made some food jokes and the kids thought that was interesting.
John Bladek
Very funny premise that it doesn't quite live up to, but still very good.
Julie
this was a quick read for owen
Ivanie
it was a good book for younger people
Emm Bee
Emm Bee marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Denise added it
May 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
41984
David Elliott is the author of THE COOL CRAZY CRICKETS and THE TRANSMOGRIFICATION OF ROSCOE WIZZLE. He says of AND HERE'S TO YOU!, "My neighbor’s rooster and I were having a disagreement. I wanted to sleep in the morning; he wanted to crow. The rooster won, of course. The first verse of AND HERE'S TO YOU! is a tribute to his victory and to the joys found in simply following your nature."
More about David Elliott...
Finn Throws a Fit In the Wild In the Sea This Orq. (He Cave Boy.) On the Wing