Start by marking “The Meanest Thing To Say” as Want to Read:
The Meanest Thing To Say

The Meanest Thing To Say (Little Bill)

This easy-to-read story about peer pressure by comedian and storyteller Bill Cosby is now a Scholastic Reader!
Michael Reilly has introduced a new game to Little Bill and his friends. You get twelve chances to say something mean to another kid--and whoever comes up with the biggest insult is the winner.
Insults start flying: "Jose hops with the frogs in science lab!" "Andr
Published September 1st 1997 by Cartwheel

To ask other readers questions about The Meanest Thing To Say, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Meanest Thing To Say

Julia
Dec 23, 2015 Julia rated it really liked it
This had a really good message for children about not bullying.

Also, Little Bill has quite the diverse friend pool. It includes a white boy, a black boy, a black girl, a Hispanic boy, and an Asian girl. Lucky guy.
Anna Korroch
Apr 22, 2015 Anna Korroch rated it really liked it
This book brought back some childhood memories for me because I remember watching the TV show "little Bill," when I was younger, which is based off of the same characters in this book. I think that this book teaches a lesson about getting along and bullying in a realistic way that kids will be able to relate to. I like how at the end of the story, the bully realizes that nothing good is coming out of putting down other people.

I think that this would be a great read aloud to discuss bullying in
Rachel Anne  Boody
I thought this was a funny and clever way of dealing with bullying. In the story, a new student is trying to get other kids to play a game where they say the meanest things to one another that they can think of. Bill is struggling trying to think of things to say back to the boy at the next day of school when his dad gives him an idea. The next day when the new kid was trying to initiate the others to say mean things, Bill keeps saying "so" and it works like a charm. No one was bullied in that w ...more
Suz
Jan 25, 2016 Suz rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-kid-lit
Those of you who grew up watching "Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids" like I did will find these easy readers very familiar. In this story from the series, Little Bill has a problem with a new student at school who wants everyone to play a new game. The game involves giving the worst insults you can to others, trying to say "the meanest thing" in order to win. But with some help from his family, Bill comes up with the perfect response.

Great for parents, teachers, and guidance counselors who are dea
Sierra
Jul 09, 2013 Sierra rated it really liked it
The Little Bill books were one of the first series books that I received when I was younger and I remember reading these books with my family. My favorite thing about these books were the illustrations; they were nothing like other books I had seen. This series was my first introduction to chapter books and I really enjoyed reading them. I recently used this book while doing a running record and the child really liked the book as well.
Sophia Martin
Feb 07, 2013 Sophia Martin rated it really liked it
This is a book about playing the dozens! A new student is assigned to Bill's class, all he wants to play is the dozens! But Bill and his friends don't want to. The new student plays by himself and ends up getting all other students in his bad side. But that's ok because Bill's dad knows just how to solve it! This is a great book to aid building community in the classroom.
Jaclyn
Nov 11, 2014 Jaclyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
I thought that this book had a very simple yet implied message.
I love how Bill Cosby never said the moral out loud, but made sure
you had to figure it out! I loved the portrayal of the white and colored
kids who each taught something different. Plus, it was a pleasant and funny read all throughout!
Anthony Pate
This book, much like the Little Bill TV show, teaches students a great lesson about using hurtful language. It also explains a cute little strategy one can use to deal with this kind of mean language.
Samantha Peterson
Nov 06, 2012 Samantha Peterson rated it really liked it
A great story that many kids can either relate to or learn a lesson from, since it has to do with bullying and how to deal with bullies. It's a great story for using the text-to-self strategy, relating to times when someone's said something mean to you and how it made you feel.
Shelby Usrey
Sep 25, 2012 Shelby Usrey rated it it was ok
Shelves: children
I feel like this book could be used to address bullying and maybe teach children how to do with mean comments from peers! This book had a different approach to bullying, it changed it into a game instead of an actual children bullying another! Very cute! :)
Deborah Harris
Dec 15, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: ar-2, a15
AR Quiz No. 19888 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.2 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP
Apr 05, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Laura by: teachers, elementary students
After reading this book to my students, I actually hear them saying the meanest thing to say to others and it brightens my day. :)
Ckolleen
Mar 04, 2015 Ckolleen rated it really liked it
Shelves: school-library
Susan
Oct 11, 2015 Susan rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s, fiction
This was a good idea, but there was nothing special in how it was carried out. I can't imagine a kid wanting to hear it more than once.
Buffalo Jay Savage
Jan 07, 2014 Buffalo Jay Savage rated it it was amazing
lil bill tho
MJ
Dec 04, 2015 MJ rated it really liked it
Alissa learned the power in the tiny word "So."
Stephanie
Nov 01, 2013 Stephanie rated it it was ok
This was great book to read with my in2books pen pal to cover the topic of bullying.
Leah W-F
Mar 04, 2012 Leah W-F rated it did not like it
Shelves: kids-picture
If kids read this book they might mistakenly start thinking that bullies can be undercut. Not so.
Johara Almogbel
Dec 22, 2014 Johara Almogbel rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-the-library
So?
Maki
Jan 21, 2014 Maki rated it it was amazing
These books are fantastic and written by the famous Bill Cosby on issues for kids.
Lorraine Hargett
Feb 20, 2017 Lorraine Hargett rated it it was amazing
The meanest thing to say is a story about boys having fun. If you just read the title and look at the cover picture you would think that this was a book of bullying, however, it is not. Funny and enjoyable book.
Lauren
2016 Reading Challenge: "a book on Oprah's Book Club List"
ABC
May 11, 2010 ABC rated it really liked it
Shelves: younger-kids
This book features the Little Bill characters. They don't look exactly like the cartoon (I thought the cartoon was cuter and "gentler" looking.) However, ds seemed to like these illustrations quite a lot and would point things out in them--like how humongous their shoes are!

The story is a new kid comes and starts a game where they have to say mean things to each other. Later Bill's dad teaches him to just respond with "So?" When Little Bill does this, the game ends and he and the other boy becom
Vanessa Peavy
Feb 07, 2012 Vanessa Peavy rated it it was ok
The title is a little misleading because one might think that its about mean tgings to say, or even a story about mean people but it is not. Its a good book for children to learn how to not care about the things other students might say about them to hurt their feelings. This book goes to show that the school yard can be a very scary place sometimes for fun and games but sometimes it can be menacing to others.

Msgold
Apr 15, 2008 Msgold rated it it was amazing
This book was easy to read, but it was a little tiny bit harder than the Elephant and Piggie books.

The story was realistic. It was about when people in school talk bad or say bad words to you, trying to look cool. The main character was intelligent and did not fall for that old trick, but it was more of a story than just a nonfiction book telling you what to do.

Anyway what I liked in the story was that it showed how to take control in a positive way, not by crying OR fighting.
Dolly
Feb 24, 2010 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I like Bill Cosby and we have enjoyed watching his "Little Bill" show on television. We haven't read too many of his books, but so far I like them. This is a good book about dealing with bullies and defusing verbal taunts. We read this aloud and our girls had a lot of fun repeating "So..." over and over. We talked about how others' words affect us only to the extent that we let them. I hope that they take this lesson to heart, but I'm sure there will be tears at some point in the future...
Emma
Apr 17, 2011 Emma rated it really liked it
This is a great little book with a big lesson. A new kid comes to school and doesn't quite know how to make friends so he comes up with a game where the person who says the meanest thing wins. Little Bill's father teaches Little Bill that there is no point in saying mean things to one another. You should instead defuse the situation.

I was really surprised to see that this is an Oprah's Book Club pick, but after reading it and getting the message I now see how invaluable it is.
babyhippoface
Little Bill feels pressured to play a "game" of insults and cruel words. I can't remember which family member gave him the advice, but I loved it. When someone said something ugly or hateful, his answer should be a simple, "so?" Every time, that should be his reply. And you know what? It worked! Plus, it irritated the heck out of his tormenter, which is just a delightful bonus.
Sharon
Mar 23, 2010 Sharon rated it liked it
Most children can relate to someone being mean to them. Little Bill finds help with dealing with a mean child through advice and help from his family. Teach children that they do not need to retaliate with violence or by being mean.
  • Bigmama's
  • How Many Days to America?: A Thanksgiving Story
  • The Measure of a Man: A Spiritual Autobiography
  • The Orange Shoes
  • Little Gold Star: A Spanish American Cinderella Tale
  • My Big Dog (Family Storytime)
  • Just Kidding
  • All the Colors of the Earth
  • Be Good to Eddie Lee
  • A Girl Named Helen Keller
  • River, Cross My Heart
  • Pinky and Rex (Pinky and Rex, #1)
  • Yoko Writes Her Name
  • Testing Miss Malarkey
  • Her Mother's Face
  • Hip Hop Speaks to Children: A Celebration of Poetry with a Beat
  • Just Because
  • If She Only Knew Me
American comedian, actor, television producer, activist, and luminary. A veteran stand-up performer, he got his start at various clubs, then landed a vanguard role in the 1960s action show I Spy.

He later starred in his own series, The Bill Cosby Show, in the late 1960s. He was one of the major characters on the children's television show for its first two seasons, and created the humorous educati
More about Bill Cosby...

Little Bill (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Best Way to Play: A Little Bill Book
  • The Treasure Hunt: A Little Bill Book
  • Super-Fine Valentine
  • Shipwreck Saturday
  • My Big Lie (A Little Bill Book for Beginning Readers)
  • One Dark and Scary Night (A Little Bill Book for Beginning Readers)
  • Money Troubles
  • Little Bill #09: The Day I Was Rich (level 3)
  • The Day I Saw My Father Cry