Start by marking “Managing with Power: Politics and Influence in Organizations” as Want to Read:
Managing with Power: Politics and Influence in Organizations

Managing with Power: Politics and Influence in Organizations

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  11 reviews
An in-depth look at the role of power and influence in organizations. Pfeffer identifies the sources of power, shows how power is used, describes the conditions under which power and influence are important, and reveals how to manage the political dynamics at work in every organization.
Published March 1st 1992 by Harvard Business School Press (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Managing with Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Managing with Power

Nick Klagge
This was the required textbook for my class, "Power and Politics in Organizations." While I liked the class, I wasn't a big fan of the book. The concepts that Pfeffer discusses seem worthwhile as far as they go, but I guess I don't especially like this format of presenting them--basically, presenting a concept and then giving several brief case-study-based illustrations of the point. In the class, I far preferred extended case study readings, such as Ken Auletta's narration of the (1980s edition ...more
Michael Ryan
This was a really useful book, and Jeffrey Pfeffer is a well-known and successful writer on management and organisations. I have rated it at five stars and the book does deserve that high rating. In addition, I bought it on Amazon, second-hand for 85c. True value for money!

The book makes a number of big, bold statements:

o Nothing in human affairs is done for rational reasons. Always for political reasons.

o If you don't understand power and how to use power, then you will never achieve anythin
Pınar
very good and useful book.
Miki
This is an interesting book about influence in organizations and how "playing politics" is usually far more important than the quality of one's work. Unlike many non-fiction books, this book makes suggestions about how to alter one's behavior in order to navigate the political side of an organization better. For me, it has been a very enlightening and discouraging read.
Pamela Salgado
Oct 16, 2007 Pamela Salgado is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
A really interesting and useful book (however, much drier than Cialdini's Influence) for examining politics in organizations. Best concept so far: The very zeal and fervor that enables an organization to be extraordinary also makes it difficult to be cognizant and responsive to paradigm shifts.
Rod Dunsmore
seems like a typical thin business book but it's much deeper than that. I liked the treatise defending politics within organizations...kind of a "sympathy for the devil" type of thing. Interesting read, worth your time.
Julie
Good points behind the book, but too much text to make those points. This book could be half the length. It was a bear to get through quickly.
Andrew Malkin
Fantastic book--stood out among all that I read during business school on topic of organizational behavior. Worth revisiting/rereading.
Marilyn Marshall
The reason why I can't seem to finish any of my for-fun books...
Alicen
Read it for class... but it was still good.
Dragana
Dec 14, 2007 Dragana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to raise their profile at work
Informative book on workplace politics.
Sayeed
Sayeed marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Theo Verwey
Theo Verwey marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
estonia
estonia marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
biafra
biafra marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Willie Green
Willie Green marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Asma Khader
Asma Khader marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Vishal Varma
Vishal Varma marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Eman Nour
Eman Nour is currently reading it
Sep 15, 2014
Farhan Ahmed
Farhan Ahmed marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
  • The Heart of Change: Real-Life Stories of How People Change Their Organizations
  • Minto Pyramid Principle: Logic in Writing, Thinking, & Problem Solving
  • Strategic Intuition: The Creative Spark in Human Achievement
  • The HR Value Proposition
  • Patton on Leadership
  • Power and Interdependence
  • Database Design for Mere Mortals: A Hands-On Guide to Relational Database Design
  • 101 Great Answers to the Toughest Interview Questions
  • Analysis Patterns: Reusable Object Models
  • Toyota Culture: The Heart and Soul of the Toyota Way
Jeffrey Pfeffer is the Thomas D. Dee II Professor of Organizational Behavior at the Graduate School of Business, Stanford University where he has taught since 1979. He is the author or co-author of thirteen books including The Human Equation: Building Profits by Putting People First; Managing with Power; The Knowing-Doing Gap: How Smart Companies Turn Knowledge Into Action; Hidden Value: How Great ...more
More about Jeffrey Pfeffer...
Power: Why Some People Have it and Others Don't The Knowing-Doing Gap: How Smart Companies Turn Knowledge into Action Hard Facts, Dangerous Half-Truths, and Total Nonsense: Profiting from Evidence-based Management What Were They Thinking?: Unconventional Wisdom About Management The Human Equation: Building Profits by Putting People First