Start by marking “Managing with Power: Politics and Influence in Organizations” as Want to Read:
Managing with Power: Politics and Influence in Organizations

Managing with Power: Politics and Influence in Organizations

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  170 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
An in-depth look at the role of power and influence in organizations. Pfeffer identifies the sources of power, shows how power is used, describes the conditions under which power and influence are important, and reveals how to manage the political dynamics at work in every organization.
Published March 1st 1992 by Harvard Business School Press (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Managing with Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Managing with Power

Nick Klagge
This was the required textbook for my class, "Power and Politics in Organizations." While I liked the class, I wasn't a big fan of the book. The concepts that Pfeffer discusses seem worthwhile as far as they go, but I guess I don't especially like this format of presenting them--basically, presenting a concept and then giving several brief case-study-based illustrations of the point. In the class, I far preferred extended case study readings, such as Ken Auletta's narration of the (1980s edition ...more
Anton Van der vloet
Definitive writing on org. politics, look no further.
Dave Allcott
Mar 16, 2015 Dave Allcott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this book 15 years ago but put it aside. It directly confronted my naivete about how power, influence, and politics really work in large organizations and corporations. It provoked in me a reaction of cynicism. But now, after more experience in that world, I say "Yup! That's pretty much the way it is!"

The book is not Machiavellian, it's academic. (I could almost say it's phenomenological in the best sense.) In the case studies Prof. Pfeffer examines, one can directly see the p
Michael Ryan
Apr 24, 2012 Michael Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really useful book, and Jeffrey Pfeffer is a well-known and successful writer on management and organisations. I have rated it at five stars and the book does deserve that high rating. In addition, I bought it on Amazon, second-hand for 85c. True value for money!

The book makes a number of big, bold statements:

o Nothing in human affairs is done for rational reasons. Always for political reasons.

o If you don't understand power and how to use power, then you will never achieve anythin
Pınar
Feb 08, 2014 Pınar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very good and useful book.
Miki
This is an interesting book about influence in organizations and how "playing politics" is usually far more important than the quality of one's work. Unlike many non-fiction books, this book makes suggestions about how to alter one's behavior in order to navigate the political side of an organization better. For me, it has been a very enlightening and discouraging read.
Pamela Salgado
Oct 16, 2007 Pamela Salgado is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
A really interesting and useful book (however, much drier than Cialdini's Influence) for examining politics in organizations. Best concept so far: The very zeal and fervor that enables an organization to be extraordinary also makes it difficult to be cognizant and responsive to paradigm shifts.
Rod Dunsmore
May 21, 2012 Rod Dunsmore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
seems like a typical thin business book but it's much deeper than that. I liked the treatise defending politics within organizations...kind of a "sympathy for the devil" type of thing. Interesting read, worth your time.
Julie
Good points behind the book, but too much text to make those points. This book could be half the length. It was a bear to get through quickly.
Andrew Malkin
Nov 26, 2012 Andrew Malkin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book--stood out among all that I read during business school on topic of organizational behavior. Worth revisiting/rereading.
Marilyn Marshall
The reason why I can't seem to finish any of my for-fun books...
Alicen
Apr 14, 2008 Alicen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read it for class... but it was still good.
Dragana
Dec 14, 2007 Dragana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to raise their profile at work
Informative book on workplace politics.
Kate Ressman
Kate Ressman rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2016
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Sungyun Kim
Sungyun Kim marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Oleksandr Nikitin
Oleksandr Nikitin marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Nour
Nour marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Matthew Carlin
Matthew Carlin marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Jardena DiGiorgio
Jardena DiGiorgio rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2016
Javad Shahidi
Javad Shahidi marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Moe
Moe marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Arze
Arze marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Henry
Henry rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Zac Scy
Zac Scy rated it it was ok
Mar 31, 2016
Ricardo Barbosa
Ricardo Barbosa is currently reading it
Mar 30, 2016
Walter H.
Walter H. marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Abio
Abio marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
  • Rites of Passage at $100,000 to $1 Million+: Your Insider's Lifetime Guide to Executive Job-Changing and Faster Career Progress in the 21st Century
  • Escape Velocity: Free Your Company's Future from the Pull of the Past
  • The Change Masters: Innovations For Productivity In The American Corporation
  • Winning from Within: How to Create Lasting Change in Your Leadership and Your Life
  • Say It with Charts
  • The Heart of Change: Real-Life Stories of How People Change Their Organizations
  • Putting the One Minute Manager to Work: How to Turn the 3 Secrets into Skills
  • The New Machiavelli: How to Wield Power in the Modern World
  • The Theory of Social and Economic Organization
  • The Wisdom of Teams: Creating the High-Performance Organization
  • The Discipline of Market Leaders: Choose Your Customers, Narrow Your Focus, Dominate Your Market
  • Co-Opetition
  • Minto Pyramid Principle: Logic in Writing, Thinking, & Problem Solving
  • First Among Equals: How to Manage a Group of Professionals
  • Influence Without Authority
  • Basic Research Methods for Librarians (Library and Information Science Text Series)
  • The Real-Life MBA: Your No-BS Guide to Winning the Game, Building a Team, and Growing Your Career
  • Unpacking My Library: Architects and Their Books
Jeffrey Pfeffer is the Thomas D. Dee II Professor of Organizational Behavior at the Graduate School of Business, Stanford University where he has taught since 1979. He is the author or co-author of thirteen books including The Human Equation: Building Profits by Putting People First; Managing with Power; The Knowing-Doing Gap: How Smart Companies Turn Knowledge Into Action; Hidden Value: How Great ...more
More about Jeffrey Pfeffer...