Programming Pearls

Programming Pearls

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  919 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Bentley's bestselling guide to programming creativity is now updated for today's programmer. Features include programming in the small: algorithms, data structures, and program design; practical advice; and new coverage of testing, debugging, performance experiments, QuickSorts, and more.
Paperback, Second Edition, 239 pages
Published September 27th 1999 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published 1986)

Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs by Harold AbelsonIntroduction to Algorithms by Thomas H. CormenThe  C Programming Language by Brian W. KernighanLearn You a Haskell for Great Good! by Miran LipovačaLand of LISP by Conrad Barski
My Favorite Computer Science Books
10th out of 17 books — 20 voters
Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs by Harold AbelsonIntroduction to Algorithms by Thomas H. CormenHacker's Delight by Henry S. Warren Jr.Code Complete by Steve McConnellDesign Patterns by Erich Gamma
Best programming books
14th out of 26 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Mike
So much of what passes for revelation becomes obsolete. What was originally mistaken for truth turns out to be mere utility; the moment passes and we are left at best with a corroded praxis, an inept relic to clutter the museum of our fancy. Contrary to many of its genre, this book has endured because it reminds us of the fundamental challenge of software development: identifying the problem, translating it to mathematically sound abstraction, and then choosing the most apt solution. The second...more
Sage Latorra
With the exception of some painfully out of date examples, this book is probably the best practical programming/algorithms book I've read.

The examples aren't untrue, they're just not intuitive to a modern reader. It's nothing that ruins the book, but examples have things that seem slightly silly today like "big" computers with just a meg or two of memory available. Or the practice problem that asks you how you send an image from one place to another. (I first took that to mean I needed to implem...more
Gregory
_Programming Pearls_ is a gem. The "pearls" are short essays on a particular topic of programming, grouped together by theme: algorithms, data structures, correctness, implementation, performance, code tuning, etc. The essays are concise and focused, with plenty of code examples. Some of the topics may strike today's programmer as quaintly academic exercies. ("Surely nobody writes Quick Sort anymore!") But the lessons that Bentley extracts from them are always valuable.

The second edition has bee...more
Ondřej Sýkora
Unlike most other books on programming, this one focuses on fundamental and generic problems, not the easy things, toy problems or technical things.

The book teaches through a thorough discussion of solutions of several problems coming from several domains (algorithms, data structures, probability theory, ...). Some of the things - binary search being the most obvious example - look easy, but the sad truth is that many people can't write a correct implementation, not even speaking about effectivi...more
Rafal Szymanski
A good selection of interesting algorithms explained without the terseness that some other books can get into. I felt it is a bit antiquated with all the algorithms written in low level C. I'm not sure that some of the optimizations the author is proposing (manual loop unrolling, moving assignment out of a loop, etc) are still relevant due to the advances in compilers that can do such optimizations automatically while leaving the source code untainted by 'optimizations'. Nevertheless, there is a...more
Joecolelife
May 08, 2011 Joecolelife rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Joecolelife by: www.CocoMartini.com
for programming to be effective it is to be divided into 3 stages.in the first stage a clear formulation of the problem and the expected perfomance is laid out.inthe 2nd stage a suitable programming language is selected.in the 3rd stage coding is done.bentley stresses the need for search for the context under which the problem can be solved.it requires a cultivated laziness to outline solution ,which is akin to having an insight.there are no sure fire formulae to get this quickly.
Alessandro Bahgat
...and this book certainly deserves a place among them.

Targeted to experienced programmers, Programming Pearls reminds how important it is to think hard before approaching any problem, and to strive for elegance and efficiency.

Even years after its publication date, this book is full of insightful advice about programming as an art.
It is the best proof that programming languages may become obsolete, but good ideas never get old.

Alex Allain
This is a book about reasoning about programs and designing algorithms. There are some powerful ideas in this little book, despite its age.

This book is best read in the following way:

1. Solve each problem that makes up the main story of the chapter before finishing the chapter
2. Do at least some of the exercises at the end of each chapter
Carlos
This book will never get old. It was my favorite book in college on my software engineering major. Thanks to this book i start to love engineering and programming. I certainly recommend this book to all freshmen in computer science and engineering, you will get a grasp of what programming is and why you will love it.
Darin
I actually read the first edition of this book and therefore this review is about it. The point of this book is to teach people how to think about programs, in particular to make them more efficient. I think this is a good book for helping people to understand what programming is all about.
Angelo
The word 'pearls' is very correctly placed in the title of this book. The book consists of 'exercises' that will stretch your software engineering mind, and will only show you how much you have to learn to become a really great programmer..
Turner
A good book which has many good principles (testing thoroughly, program verification, attacking the correct problem, carefully choosing your data structures, etc.) and easy to read. However, it is showing it's age quite badly in places.
Raghu Hudli
Read this book years ago; has shaped many of my programming skills. I read it again recently. Though modern design have additional constraints and forces to reckon, this book is still invaluable!
Bob Eager
This is an excellent book. Quite slim, but the content is dense.

Lots of thought-provoking ideas gleaned from Jon Bentley's regular columns. I really the the problem/solution in the firts chapter.
Mark Nenadov
This book is amazing! Its a true classic on algorithims.

I would place this on my list of the top 5 programming books of all time. A must read for every who calls themselves a "programmer".
Lucy Park
영화도, 음악도, 책도 그런게 있다.
보거나 듣거나 읽는 동안에는 잘 몰랐는데 지나고 나서 자꾸 생각나는.
정확히 이 책이 그렇다. 읽을 당시보다 오히려 읽고 난 지금 더 마음에 닿는다.
만일 좀 더 시간이 지나 다시 읽게 된다면 처음 읽었을 때와는 다르겠지.
어쩌면 인간관계도 그렇지 않을까 싶다.
Rodolfo Quesada
If read as novel, cover to cover, it seems kind of repetitive, but if you stop and implement some of the code sometimes, it is quite enjoyable. Lots of good advice and insight.
Dane Henshall
Some nice use cases to think about and read. I am not sure if reading this book made me a better person, but it is a good refresher on some of the basic principles of programming.
Andrew Dalgleish
I read this to help me prepare for a microsoft interview. i found it to be a bit informal and dated, but it had some interesting treatments of the classic algorithms.
Paul
I'm going to complete all of the exercises in this book one day, at which point I will probably no longer be able to carry on conversation with humans.
Sven Meys
If you are serious about programming, this book is a must!
Contains a lot of useful tips and tricks and many sample problems to wrap your brain around.
Molex Brown
A great book that can help any working programmer think a bit differently about their craft and can help any young programmer write better programs!
Brian
An excellent description and review of algorithms and data structures with a variety of practical and interview-like questions and problems.
Tom Schulte
Bentley tells stories of algorithm creation and other computer problem solving in the days of magnetic tape drives and mainframes.
Brian
A little outdated in technology but definitely every bit as relevant now as it's ever been. Some fun problems to just think of.
Paul
A classic in the field. Everyone who writes code, or rather, anyone who solves problems, should read this book.
David
You said you already know about this book, but it's still a good one to pick up (and fun to read).
Duncan
great books with bags of tricks. Not programming tricks, but problem solving tricks.
Doxuanhuy
clean and awesome books with most basic algorithms and their solutions from various view
Antony Deepak Thomas
AFter reading this book, you would start to think in terms bit and bytes.
  • The Practice of Programming
  • Hacker's Delight
  • Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (MIT Electrical Engineering and Computer Science)
  • The Algorithm Design Manual
  • Effective C++: 55 Specific Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs
  • Refactoring to Patterns
  • Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
More Programming Pearls: Confessions of a Coder Więcej perełek oprogramowania:  Wyznania programisty. Beautiful Code: Leading Programmers Explain How They Think