Start by marking “To Buy or Not to Buy: Why We Overshop and How to Stop” as Want to Read:
To Buy or Not to Buy: Why We Overshop and How to Stop

To Buy or Not to Buy: Why We Overshop and How to Stop

Are you a shopaholic?

•Do you use shopping as a quick fix for the blues?
•Do you often buy things that you don’t need or can’t afford?
•Do your buying binges leave you feeling anxious or guilty?
•Is your shopping behavior hurting your relationships?
•Have you tried to stop but been unable to?

If so, you are not alone. Nearly 18 million Americans are problem shoppers, unable
Published December 30th 2008 by Trumpeter

To ask other readers questions about To Buy or Not to Buy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Buy or Not to Buy

Nicole
Feb 27, 2014 Nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this book to better understand people's issues with shopping and how they can deal with their problems. The book is only for people who have that type of problem - there are lots of exercises and ways to get your shopping issues under control. I think it could help people to even admit they have a problem. If you are looking for a sociological in-depth analysis of why people end up with these issues, this is not the book for you. I feel better equipped now to deal with someone I know who ...more
Kellie Korte
Sep 03, 2015 Kellie Korte rated it it was amazing
Although this book was, at times, a pain in the ass (lots of journaling and reflecting) I absolutely loved it and I'm not sure it would have been as effective if it did not prompt the reader to put lots of effort into it. There were many new concepts explored, new and different tools, and great new perspectives. I know recovering from compulsive shopping is a long journey, but I have seen MAJOR improvements in the time that I have been reading this book. I definitely recommend reading if you're ...more
Alex
Sep 27, 2016 Alex rated it liked it
Hm, mixed feelings on this one!

So for starters, I'd like to say that this book has a VERY specific target audience, that is:
- Older (35 upwards, I would say, maybe even older than that)
- In a longterm relationship
- In steady professional employment
- A parent
- Absolutely friggin' DROWNING in credit card debt

As I am a 24 year old who recently graduated from my post-graduate degree, with no dependents and (I am proud to say!) no credit card debt, this is not me. The only overlap is I'm in a long te
Kirsty White
Feb 02, 2015 Kirsty White rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
This book took me a while to read. It's a simple enough book and like some, not full of jargon and psycho-babble but it doesn't hook you in enough to be one you can't put down. I often put it to one side to go read something else.
I saw a review that said it was only for people with addictions to shopping and wouldn't suit anyone else. Well, first the book is aimed solely at over-shoppers so that makes sense to me that it would only be suitable for those people (me formerly included). However fo
Rachel
Somehow I received the impression that this book was going to be more of a study on the societal pressure to shop, and not so much a self-help book... I feel that I can't give a proper review, as I am not the target audience for the book.

Because I am not an overshopper, it was hard to hold my interest in the book, although it seemed to be well-laid out and a basic, step-by-step guide to analyzing one's one tendencies to spend more money than one should.

I was interested in the stories of specific
Deb
"Sadly, I misread the description on this one - I thought it was more of a sociological study on why people (in general) overconsume. But it's actually a self-help book for people who overshop themselves. [return][return]As I do not fall into that category, I find it hard to say how helpful this book would be, but it certainly seemed like it did a good job examining multiple reasons why people would feel compelled to shop, explaining how to determine your own unconscious impulses, and showing ho ...more
Angela
Jul 30, 2009 Angela rated it it was ok
This book is really written for people who have a tendency to overshop, which I think we are all guilty of from time to time. The author focuses on the individual – recognizing one’s own triggers and how to deal with them.

If someone has a real issue with shopping, this is a great book because it’s a really easy-to-follow step by step guide for self-help.

However, I was hoping it would be more of a social/anthropological approach to overshopping as a modern cultural phenomenon, so I was a little d
Tom
Jun 03, 2011 Tom rated it liked it
This book, one of the only that I could find on the subject, does a really good job of looking at and helping the reader control overshopping through a cognitive behavioral therapy approach. I think this book is more relevant to everyone than other reviewers have suggested, especially in today's mass-consumption culture. I particularly enjoyed the discussion of triggers and outcomes that were very close to what I have felt on occasion.
Nicola
Jan 16, 2015 Nicola rated it liked it
Bit pop-like but interesting read with tips on giving up our shopaholic lifestyles in place of something much more meaningful! A workbook to help identify all our psychological foibles that lead to us opening up the purse strings...and stockpiling goods that we are lured to buy!

Guilty as charged!
Alyssa Nelson
Mar 06, 2011 Alyssa Nelson rated it it was amazing
A great book that provides valuable steps for learning how to gain confidence and take control of your life and your debt. The program Dr. Benson provides is not an easy one, but if the reader puts in the work, they will definitely become more mindful of the underlying causes of their compulsive shopping as well as their shopping habits.
Kim
Oct 18, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing
I won't say that I am cured from overshopping, but this book gave me alot of exercises that will help me to make better decisions. I definitely reccommend reading this book before the Christmas holidays. I can't wait to practice what I have learned.
Will Jeffries
Apr 25, 2011 Will Jeffries rated it liked it
All you need to do is either spend less than you make -- or make more money so that you can comfortably spend.

No need for a book like this. Just take the advice mentioned above and you will be A-okay.
Kyla
Dec 27, 2013 Kyla rated it it was amazing
Outstanding book for those with or without an over shopping problem!!! Great info on how to cut through addictive behaviors. I will use all of this info and keep re-reading this book to keep the info current. I definitely will recommend this to anyone I know.
Alona Perlin
Oct 27, 2014 Alona Perlin rated it really liked it
This book addressed some issues with overshopping. There were some helpful hints to cope with this problem, but Im not sure there were that many effective solutions to this dilemna. Still, it was an important book and had some helpful advice.
Elissa
I do not suffer from a shopping addiction, which is the intended audience for this book, but I am interested in what makes us do certain things, including shopping, which this book covered in great depth on the psychological side.
Cyndy Sandor
Cyndy Sandor rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2012
Barbra Luce-turner
Barbra Luce-turner rated it it was ok
Apr 27, 2013
Debbie Roes
Debbie Roes rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2015
Stacey Ann
Stacey Ann rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Rosemary
Rosemary rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2012
Anna-Kate
Anna-Kate rated it it was ok
Jun 19, 2015
Kristen
Kristen rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2015
Brenda
Brenda rated it it was ok
Dec 09, 2014
Jamie
Jul 25, 2011 Jamie rated it did not like it
Duh.
Milena Nguyen
Milena Nguyen rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2014
Alison
Alison rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2014
John
John rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2014
Brennalee
Brennalee rated it did not like it
May 19, 2014
Crystal
Crystal rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Money Drunk/Money Sober: 90 Days to Financial Freedom
  • Shiny Objects: Why We Spend Money We Don't Have in Search of Happiness We Can't Buy
  • Confidence: The Art of Getting Whatever You Want
  • The Real Cost of Living: Making the Best Choices for You, Your Life, and Your Money
  • Stop Getting Ripped Off: Why Consumers Get Screwed, and How You Can Always Get a Fair Deal
  • The Sexual State of the Union
  • Singing for Dummies [With Audio CD]
  • Suddenly Frugal: How to Live Happier and Healthier for Less
  • Stephen Colbert: Beyond Truthiness
  • Fast Girls: Teenage Tribes And The Myth Of The Slut
  • Why She Buys: The New Strategy for Reaching the World's Most Powerful Consumers
  • Call of the Mall: The Geography of Shopping
  • Pick Another Checkout Lane, Honey: Save BIG Money & Make the Grocery Aisle Your Catwalk!
  • Buying In: The Secret Dialogue Between What We Buy and Who We Are