Start by marking “To Buy or Not to Buy: Why We Overshop and How to Stop” as Want to Read:
To Buy or Not to Buy: Why We Overshop and How to Stop

To Buy or Not to Buy: Why We Overshop and How to Stop

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Are you a shopaholic?

•Do you use shopping as a quick fix for the blues?
•Do you often buy things that you don’t need or can’t afford?
•Do your buying binges leave you feeling anxious or guilty?
•Is your shopping behavior hurting your relationships?
•Have you tried to stop but been unable to?

If so, you are not alone. Nearly 18 million Americans are problem shoppers, unable
Published December 30th 2008 by Trumpeter

To ask other readers questions about To Buy or Not to Buy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Buy or Not to Buy

Kirsty
This book took me a while to read. It's a simple enough book and like some, not full of jargon and psycho-babble but it doesn't hook you in enough to be one you can't put down. I often put it to one side to go read something else.
I saw a review that said it was only for people with addictions to shopping and wouldn't suit anyone else. Well, first the book is aimed solely at over-shoppers so that makes sense to me that it would only be suitable for those people (me formerly included). However fo
Nicole
I read this book to better understand people's issues with shopping and how they can deal with their problems. The book is only for people who have that type of problem - there are lots of exercises and ways to get your shopping issues under control. I think it could help people to even admit they have a problem. If you are looking for a sociological in-depth analysis of why people end up with these issues, this is not the book for you. I feel better equipped now to deal with someone I know who ...more
Rachel
Somehow I received the impression that this book was going to be more of a study on the societal pressure to shop, and not so much a self-help book... I feel that I can't give a proper review, as I am not the target audience for the book.

Because I am not an overshopper, it was hard to hold my interest in the book, although it seemed to be well-laid out and a basic, step-by-step guide to analyzing one's one tendencies to spend more money than one should.

I was interested in the stories of specific
Alona Perlin
This book addressed some issues with overshopping. There were some helpful hints to cope with this problem, but Im not sure there were that many effective solutions to this dilemna. Still, it was an important book and had some helpful advice.
Angela
This book is really written for people who have a tendency to overshop, which I think we are all guilty of from time to time. The author focuses on the individual – recognizing one’s own triggers and how to deal with them.

If someone has a real issue with shopping, this is a great book because it’s a really easy-to-follow step by step guide for self-help.

However, I was hoping it would be more of a social/anthropological approach to overshopping as a modern cultural phenomenon, so I was a little d
Nicola
Bit pop-like but interesting read with tips on giving up our shopaholic lifestyles in place of something much more meaningful! A workbook to help identify all our psychological foibles that lead to us opening up the purse strings...and stockpiling goods that we are lured to buy!

Guilty as charged!
Deb
"Sadly, I misread the description on this one - I thought it was more of a sociological study on why people (in general) overconsume. But it's actually a self-help book for people who overshop themselves. [return][return]As I do not fall into that category, I find it hard to say how helpful this book would be, but it certainly seemed like it did a good job examining multiple reasons why people would feel compelled to shop, explaining how to determine your own unconscious impulses, and showing ho ...more
Tom
This book, one of the only that I could find on the subject, does a really good job of looking at and helping the reader control overshopping through a cognitive behavioral therapy approach. I think this book is more relevant to everyone than other reviewers have suggested, especially in today's mass-consumption culture. I particularly enjoyed the discussion of triggers and outcomes that were very close to what I have felt on occasion.
Alyssa Archambo
A great book that provides valuable steps for learning how to gain confidence and take control of your life and your debt. The program Dr. Benson provides is not an easy one, but if the reader puts in the work, they will definitely become more mindful of the underlying causes of their compulsive shopping as well as their shopping habits.
Kyla
Outstanding book for those with or without an over shopping problem!!! Great info on how to cut through addictive behaviors. I will use all of this info and keep re-reading this book to keep the info current. I definitely will recommend this to anyone I know.
Kim
I won't say that I am cured from overshopping, but this book gave me alot of exercises that will help me to make better decisions. I definitely reccommend reading this book before the Christmas holidays. I can't wait to practice what I have learned.
Elissa
I do not suffer from a shopping addiction, which is the intended audience for this book, but I am interested in what makes us do certain things, including shopping, which this book covered in great depth on the psychological side.
Will Jeffries
All you need to do is either spend less than you make -- or make more money so that you can comfortably spend.

No need for a book like this. Just take the advice mentioned above and you will be A-okay.
Toni
found this very helpful. Fingers crossed I can finally kick the overshopping habit! >.<
Ross
Ross marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Helyn
Helyn marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Trish
Trish marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Mary Grasela
Mary Grasela marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Dayle Lynn Hearting
Dayle Lynn Hearting marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
april
april added it
Mar 17, 2015
Bao Ngoc
Bao Ngoc marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Brooke Criswell
Brooke Criswell marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Malik Yusuf
Malik Yusuf marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Hyung Joo
Hyung Joo is currently reading it
Feb 08, 2015
Noel
Noel marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015