Start by marking “A World of Ideas: Essential Readings for College Writers” as Want to Read:
A World of Ideas: Essential Readings for College Writers

A World of Ideas: Essential Readings for College Writers

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The most successful reader of its kind, A World of Ideas is ideal for composition instructors who want to introduce their students to some of the world's most important thinkers and their ideas: for example, Niccolo Machiavelli on government, Sigmund Freud on the mind, and Virginia Woolf on feminism. Because students perceive writers such as these as serious and important, ...more
Paperback, Seventh Edition, 857 pages
Published December 31st 2006 by Bedford Books (first published 1893)

Lisa Greer
Jan 10, 2008 Lisa Greer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: professors and students
If you are an English prof., this is a great book for your classes. If you are teaching an intro. to philosophy course, likewise, it's a great book. Students will engage with Machiavelli, Rousseau, Jefferson, Montaigne, Plato, Aristotle, MLK Jr., DeBeauvoir, Galbraith, and so many other thinkers of all time periods. It's challenging and fun for classes. I'm using it currently in a composition class and have used it in the past as well.
Phillip Gallegos
Feb 28, 2010 Phillip Gallegos is currently reading it
Shelves: owned
Excellent book thus far. The selections are great, the areas covered are broad, and the ideas always intriguing. Even if writing is not your thing, I would still recommend this for the ideas and writers presented. I was far too lucky to find this at the public library bookstore for only a couple of dollars...
Justin
Was not a big fan of this book in high school, but it really did prepare me for college level readings
Oakley-Raine
Eventhough, I read this book for school and would not pick it to read on my own accord, I did find a few essays worth the read. I really enjoyed Martin Luther King Jr.'s Letter to Birmingham Jail, Frederick Douglass' From the Narrative, and Rachel Carson's The Sunless Sea. I personally found the information the author provided before each new section and touching on the writing style very helpful and informative.
Tatsuru
Work is done, class is complete. There is only so far a classroom can offer to inspire a perpetual reader but the authors are notable and the writing is...influential... it was just a little too much of a structured reading though, not for the entertainment.
Brittany
It had a lot of good pieces in it that were very helpful in english class. As far as english textbooks go this was one of the best
Anna
Sep 23, 2014 Anna marked it as ref-english  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paperback
Looks like I picked this up at the UC bookstore. It's the third edition with a 1990 date. Some underlining. Hmm.
Ron
A grad school textbook with collection of writings and critiques of their styles.
Julia Simpson-Urrutia
I have used this book in my class for years. I find nothing matches its quality.
Clarice
Looks like a well rounded book I can read when I want to feel smart.
Ingrid
A must for every college student!!! Very good lectures!!
Qihua
Jan 24, 2012 Qihua added it
Collection of excerpts good for reading list references.
Rachel
For the most part, the readings were okay.
Tyler
Great Rhetoric resource!
Gerardo De
Gerardo De marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Chen Yang
Chen Yang marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Tyrone Amora
Tyrone Amora marked it as to-read
Rebecca Cuomo
Rebecca Cuomo marked it as to-read
Raghav
Raghav marked it as to-read
Nancy Torres
Nancy Torres marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Marc Llana
Marc Llana marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Rafea AlShumrani
Rafea AlShumrani marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Emmanuel
Emmanuel marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Melanietaylor
Melanietaylor marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
  • The Best American Essays 2009
  • Models for Writers: Short Essays for Composition
  • The Best American Essays 2012
  • Signs of Life in the U.S.A.: Readings on Popular Culture for Writers
  • Current Issues and Enduring Questions: A Guide to Critical Thinking and Argument, with Readings
  • The Art of Public Speaking
  • The Best American Essays 2008
  • The Best American Essays 2007
  • The Norton Anthology of World Literature, Volume A, Beginning to A.D. 100
  • 40 Model Essays: A Portable Anthology
  • Backpack Literature (Kennedy/Gioia Literature Series)
  • Rereading America: Cultural Contexts for Critical Thinking and Writing
  • Language: Its Structure and Use
  • Gangs of America: The Rise of Corporate Power and the Disabling of Democracy
The Bedford Introduction to Drama The Compact Bedford Introduction to Drama A World of Ideas Crown Island The Bedford Introduction to Drama