Start by marking “Turbulent Mirror: An Illustrated Guide to Chaos Theory and the Science of Wholeness” as Want to Read:

Until recently, such phenomena as the volatility of weather systems, the fluctuation of the shock market, or the random firing of neurons in the brain were considered too "noisy" and complex to be probed by science. But now, with the aid of high-speed computers, scientists have been able to penetrate a reality that is changing the way we perceive the universe. Their findin ...more
Published June 26th 1990 by Harper Perennial (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Turbulent Mirror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Turbulent Mirror

Remo
Nov 08, 2015 Remo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is pure awesomeness! I recommend it to every curious mind on this planet.

At first, I was a bit worried that the book might be too math heavy (yes, I'm slightly intimidated by pages full of equations and mysterious symbols that make absolutely no sense for me). Which turned out to be true, but not in the way I anticipated: it explores some very fundamental mathematical concepts, deeper than I ever could have imagined, but without using the dreaded mathematical language.
Instead it is fra
Caroline
Oct 01, 2015 Caroline rated it liked it
I picked this book up on the recommendation of a friend. It took me two months to read it since I spent about twenty minutes on each page trying to wrap my mind around the ideas.
For someone who doesn't have a background in science, I was able to keep up moderately well. I learned a lot and would recommend it to someone interested in chaos theory. I now know at least how to introduce someone to the topic, although I do wish he would have included more explanation of the theory. The entire book wa
Luna Lindsey
Sep 03, 2010 Luna Lindsey rated it it was amazing
If you're only going to read one book on Chaos/Complexity theory, this is the one. If you're planning to read many, this is a good place to start.

The basic principles behind chaos theory are explained with vivid pictures to ease understanding of the complex (pun) math.

This is possibly the least abstract form of math, as it attempts to explain many of the patterns (and randomness) found in nature and life. Everything from fluctuations in animal populations to the ups and downs of Wall Street are
James Curcio
Jul 27, 2011 James Curcio rated it really liked it
This is one of the many books I consumed when working on The Immanence of Myth. And it is quite simply the best book I've so far discovered for non-mathematicians to understand chaos theory. It also has application and relevance in regard to systems theory, and makes a good companion piece to 1000 Years of Nonlinear History. (Which I've already reviewed.)

There's little to critique with a book like this. The writing is clear, the re-occurring metaphor with the Yellow Emperor is a little strained
Scott Ford
Jan 19, 2014 Scott Ford rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
Excellent introduction to complexity theory. The authors do not shy away from introducing scientific detail, yet do so in a highly accessible format. They outline the concepts, and then demonstrate how complexity theory influences both hard and soft sciences, from chemistry, physics and biology to psychology, sociology and art. The structure of the book (mirror form) is perfect for the novice to conceptualize and solidify the theory being presented.
Channa
Jul 27, 2007 Channa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people that want to understand chaos
This book does a great job of illustrating chaos and the fractal patterns we see around us in this concrete jungle, in which we live. I've read a few other books about chaos, and this one is by far the easiest to understand. Other books actually go through the mathematical calculations of chaos, and that's just a little too much for me. I enjoy the subject since it is part of the underlaying subconscious world we barely think about, but see all around us.
Remo
Grandiosa introducción a la teoría del Caos, tan buena o más que la de James Gleick. Los autores explican un montón de aplicaciones de esta teoría, empezando por los rudimentos (herraduras de Smale, órbitas en un toroide...) y concluyendo en los mercados financieros, sistemas dinámicos complejos y ecosistemas. Una maravilla. Altamente recomendable.
Marcelo
simple but entertaining introduction to the science of chaos. I read it for the first time years ago and still I think it's an inspiring book. First half of the book definitely more interesting than the second. In fact, this is the reason why I am finding it so difficult to finish it.
Kelly
Oct 06, 2007 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-math
This is a good book if you have an interest in chaos theory and would like something that levels in between a "for dummies" book and a textbook. It's written intelligently and has pictures and examples that make it not only easier to understand but really interesting.
Arash Aghevli
Jul 26, 2007 Arash Aghevli rated it it was amazing
Such a cool book. All about chaos theory and walks the reader through the emergent principles of order going into chaos (entropy) and the reverse of that process when order emerges out of chaos. Discussed all the major theories of chaos with interesting examples and allegories.
Bart
Jan 17, 2016 Bart rated it really liked it
While perhaps only a bridge to yet another layer of complex adaptability, a fine and creatively arranged bridge.
Burningred
Feb 22, 2014 Burningred rated it really liked it
Chaos theory is cool. Pictures are a bonus!
Alina Cameron
Aug 11, 2016 Alina Cameron rated it it was amazing
It took me a long time to get through this book, with a lot of referencing, but I made it through.
Ian
Apr 23, 2009 Ian rated it really liked it
Engaging introduction to the world of Chaos. My exploration of this part of our universe began here.
Paulimar
Aug 20, 2011 Paulimar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Si bien cuando lo leí la matemática y la física que utiliza el libro era un poco avanzada para mi, te cambia completamente la manera de ver el mundo que te rodea
Sebastian
Sep 10, 2008 Sebastian rated it it was amazing
Awesome book. Easy to read, gives a new perspective to the world.
Sabio
Jul 15, 2007 Sabio added it
Shelves: math_physics
Fun, easy read as intro to Chaos Theory
Sean
Jun 22, 2009 Sean rated it really liked it
Can get technical but it has spurred many more ideas after reading this book, both with my art and with life, worth it.
Steve
Sep 29, 2008 Steve rated it it was amazing
I see fractals..
Justin
Justin rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2016
Craig Beezley
Craig Beezley rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2012
Gerard
Gerard rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2010
Juan
Juan rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2015
Odyss
Odyss rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2011
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2015
Prabhat Solanki
Prabhat Solanki rated it it was ok
Dec 14, 2014
Jorge Branco
Jorge Branco rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2012
SebastiAn
SebastiAn rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Eazra Shrantz
Eazra Shrantz rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2012
  • PI in the Sky: Counting, Thinking, and Being
  • 1001 Things Everyone Should Know About Science
  • Poetry of the Universe
  • General System Theory: Foundations, Development, Applications
  • Who's Afraid of Schrodinger's Cat: All The New Science Ideas You Need To Keep Up With The New Thinking
  • The Loom Of God