Just a Kiss Away

Just a Kiss Away

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  398 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Arriving on a lush Pacific island, Eulalie Grace LaRue was soon to be reunited with the father she hadn't seen since childhood. Yet before Lollie's dreamed-of meeting could take place, the lovely Southern belle was caught in the crossfire of a violent revolution -- and thrown into the rugged arms of Sam Forester. On the run in the jungle, the battle-scarred soldier of fort...more
Published October 1st 1998 by Pocket Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Just a Kiss Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just a Kiss Away

Tinted Lenses by Jackie WilliamsThe Unseen by Sabrina DevonshireHeart of Fire by Linda HowardMangroves and Monsters by Sharon C. PenningtonOut of Control by Suzanne Brockmann
Jungle Love
14th out of 55 books — 93 voters
Slightly Dangerous by Mary BaloghRavished by Amanda QuickTwilight by Stephenie MeyerLove Is Blind by Lynsay SandsHonor's Splendour by Julie Garwood
Ack! The Best Accident Prone Romantic Leads
44th out of 241 books — 87 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathleen
Mar 01, 2013 Kathleen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathleen by: Sanya
Shelves: romance-historic

Content:Explicit sex, violence, cussing, profanity, 20+ typos in kindle version

No plot spoilers

Setting: July, 1896, Luzon Island, the Philippines. Manilla. Two years before the Spanish-American War and the Battle of Manilla Bay. (Barnett takes a broad brush when painting the setting. Unless you know the history, the remarkable events that occurred won't stand out.)

Just a Kiss Away. That's how close Sam needed to be, to see the freckles dotting Lolly's lovely cheeks. Awwww! ♥ Sweet, hmm?

No. Sam...more
Teresa Medeiros
This book is like one of those wonderful slapstick comedies from the 30's and 40's starring Carole Lombard and Clark Gable. Think BRINGING UP BABY set in the Pacific jungle. The lovely thing about Jill's comedy is that she could put her characters in the most ridiculous situations imaginable without making them ridiculous. And just when you think she can only make you giggle, she leaves you with a lump in your throat. Her historicals, even the funniest ones, had tremendous heart and that's what...more
Ana
I've had this book for more than 15yrs. The other day I decided to re-read it and boy I'm glad I did! It's a great book Loved the story line, I'm glad they didn't fall all over each other right away. I liked the character development,it was funny and witty. I see why I kept it all this years. This book stands the test of time I like it as much today as I did 15yr ago not so with alot of other books I've been re-reading whether It's me thathas changed because I'm older or the books that are dated...more
Mary
Feb 27, 2014 Mary rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: romance lovers
Recommended to Mary by: the author's name
Shelves: romance
Charming book. Action adventure meets romance. Eulalie gets caught in the middle of a chase, and makes a perfect hostage in her pristine gown. It takes her a while to figure out just what she's stumbled into. The man who has her claims to be protecting her, but she doesn't know from what, and she's less than impressed with his care. That gown is rather the worse for wear before long.

Poor Eulalie hasn't been trained for much, and is a constant thorn in his side. It's been a while since I read th...more
Danette Steward
I was highly entertained with this jungle adventure. Lots of laugh out loud moments. That dang bird cracked me up!! Lollie was a true southern bell...adorable, proper, and so darn naive. Sam reminded me of a VERY sarcastic hardened Indiana Jones that thrives on danger. What kind of mischief could these two get into?
Elaine Mcdonald
I felt like I was stuck in a nightmare. I agree with another reviewer. It is an Amelia Bedelia for adults. Lottie was too dumb for too long. It kept me reading until I finished it but I am not sure if I would attempt another book by this author. It is different from anything I have read.
Misfit
Feb 08, 2013 Misfit marked it as no-thank-you  ·  review of another edition
Not my cuppa, but this is free today on Kindle. Love seeing these older romances get a new life as an e-book.
Sanya
Funny book, not in a bad way. Light read without being stupid ;)
Annette
Lolly Larue is a young southern belle who has never been out of South Carolina. Her mother died when she was very young. Her father has not been home for 17 years, and she has grown up with her 5 brothers caring for her and about her.

Sam Forester is a mercenary for the US government. He wears an eye patch to cover the spot where one of his eyes used to be.

When these 2 first meet, Sam is trying to escape from men who want to kill him and Lolly is strolling through the streets of a town in the Phi...more
Michelle Kelly
I'm exhausted after reading Just a Kiss Away. What an adventure.

Despite the fact I could not stand the heroine, Lollie, Just a Kiss Away was a great story. One adventure after another. I guess I have to thank Lollie for all of those moments but still, annoying is one effective word to describe her.

Just a Kiss Away seemed like a really long book. It kept going and going and just when I thought it was going to wind down, something else popped up. Lottie an...more
Elizabeth
Sam "an ass" Forester is an all around badass, and I love him for it. He's well over sixfoot, a ringing endorsement for a muscle bound strong man...ahhh gotta love them muscles. He tells Lollipop exactly like it is. This man is hard, he has had to be, growing up in the slums of Chicago. And he absolutely positively hates Lollie LaRue, that is until he sees beyond her airhead persona and sees the true scared little rich girl who sees herself as unworthy, and falls SPLAT completely in love. He fig...more
Caroline
I enjoyed this book to a certain extent. Lollie wasn't the most loveable of characters; in fact at times she annoyed me intensely. She was extremely pathetic throughout most of the book and Sam was very patient with her. I probably would have dumped her somewhere and given up. But I can see why she was like this and she does develop into a much stronger & better person.

I think what made this book was some of the escapades that both Lollie & Sam get into. And you have to admire the way t...more
Sue Burke
I'm another one who's had this book in my book collection for years now, and find the story just as funny now as I did when I first read it. It reminds me in many ways of a slapstick comedy, mixed with romance, and when I need a laugh, this is the book that can make me laugh. Eulalie Grace LaRue makes a great heroine .... hopeful, intrepid, romantic, and accident-prone .... and soldier of fortune Sam Forrester's reactions to her through most of the book are the source of most of the humor in thi...more
Ale Rivero
Me he divertido de lo lindo con Lollie y Sam, me parecieron una pareja perfecta desde el principio a pesar de los dramas y las idas y vueltas por las que pasaron. Fue muy interesante ver como la autora logró desarrollar tan bien el personaje de Eulalie y cómo evolucionó a lo largo de la historia terminando por ser muy distinta a como había empezado; lo mismo ocurrió con Sam, que pudo empezar a reconocer sus sentimientos. Muy recomendable
Judy Wise
What a great story. Just took a chance on reading this story. Lollie has been raised by her older brothers that had no idea how to raise a child, all her life, sent has been sent to finishing schools taught everything must be prim and proper. Of course she does not do well, in fact she hates embroidering. Now her father has sent for her, and she is so excited. She gets mixed up with Sam who is a mercenary and they end up in the jungle where she slowing learns about life and Sam learn about women...more
Ellen
I read this one way, way back... so long ago that I don't even remember that I've read it. I just know I did because it's in the list that I keep of books I've read. Try as I might, I can't remember what the plot was about and when I read the Goodreads summary, I saw that it was set in the Philippines. How could I forget a book with a setting like that? It goes to show that I didn't like this one that much to have just forgotten about it. Thus the two stars, although I hate myself for giving Jil...more
Michelle
Okay, so this was a free Kindle book and a total guilty pleasure read. I expected it to be cheesy and mindless, and it was but in a pleasant way. My only complaint is that the heroine is so helpless that it ceases to be amusing and slapstick and moves straight into "OMG I would leave her on her own to die in the jungle" territory. Still, in the end, she develops into a decent person, and I found Sam swoonworthy on many occasions. That's really all I'm asking for in a guilty pleasure read.
Kindaslick
Everyones going on about how horrible Sam is. I gotta back him up. After 17 chapters.. I'd kill that bitch myself if I could. I'm not getting it here. So.. what's the attraction? Because all I'm seeing is a blob of ignorance, insecurities and stupidity. Not one redeeming quality.

I'm not happy and no one likes me but if I keep doing the same thing over and over again maybe I'll suddenly be happy and everyone will like me?

sighs

You annoy me.

Shoo.
Jen
I'm sorry, but whenever a hero or anti-hero, in this case, continually calls his potential lover a stupid bitch (pardon my french) … that's when the book gets an automatic 1-star rating. The beginning few chapters were kind of boring too, and it was full of action.
Also, when the hero in a romance novel says "I'm not a hero in a romance novel." that screams cheesy, to me. Brings me back to the real world and out of the book's world, which no book ought to do.
Liz
I was looking for an indulgent read - and this nearly hit the mark. Nearly. I wanted to find out what happened, and I really, really *wanted* to like both of the main characters. But I just couldn't. It was too cliched, too easy. It fell into the trap of telling the reader about the characters' development rather than showing. So I finished, and it was fine, but I wasn't terribly impressed.
Amanda
This would have been a great story if Lollie hadn't taken so long to get a clue and Sam hadn't been such an abusive jerk. Usually in these stories, the heroine steps up and pulls her weight at some point. That didn't happen here. And it is *never* okay to call a woman a "stupid bitch", especially one that you are having sex with, never mind one that you claim to love.
Renee
This book was thoroughly entertaining! (I'm not sure that the book jacket description or teaser really fits, it kind of fits I guess.) To me, this was not a typical romanance/chick-book. Lots of action, comedy, etc. I enjoyed all the characters, especially Medusa, who chimed in at just the right times! This was a free Kindle download!!
Susan Gabel
I remember when all the ladies at the bookstore read this book and how much we loved it. It is so funny. Lollie is a hoot and what she puts Sam through is worth reading the book just for this. I still have my copy and all my daughters have read it. If you can still find a copy I would recommend it for a good fun read.
Ann
When i first started this I was alittle skeptical because I didn't realize this was based in the 1800's and I have trouble connecting. but this was really good. So much action and andventure you never get bore and even a few chuckles.
Kbee
Feb 20, 2012 Kbee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes a good romance with a bit of humor
This is a keeper! I knew I'd like it.Only the second book I've read from this author but I garanty it wont be the last.
Started a bit slow for a couple of pages but boy it turn out a real page turner.
Mimna
เรื่องนี้นางเอกไร้ความสามารถได้อย่างน่าสมเพชเวทนามาก แต่พระเอกน่าสงสารกว่าเพราะต้องมาคอยดูแลนางเอก โดยรวมเเล้วสนุกตามสไตล์จิลค่ะ แต่เราไม่ค่อยชอบนางเอกมุ่งมั่น(ดันทุรัง)แต่ไร้ความสามารถ (แม้จะไม่ตั้งใจก็เถอะ)
Grace Ellen
The stupid "heroine" spends literally ALL of her time screaming, crying, and/or talking about being a Southern belle. I mean, I enjoy doing those things too, but everything in moderation. Sheesh.
Kelly Ann
This is my favorite book by Jill Barnett. I love it so much that every couple years I re-read it. I laugh, cry and fall in love the characters all over again, especially Sam(the hero)!
Jessica Andersen
I really liked this book. It had a very "Romancing the Stone" vibe to it. I pretty much sat and read it cover to cover.

I am trying to decide what Jill Barnett book to read next....
Sunshine
This book has it all the Romance the action and it's Very Funny! This is one of those older books that not a lot of people have heard of but it's worth reading. Loved it!
  • Touched By Fire
  • Chasing Rainbows
  • The Bad Luck Wedding Dress (Bad Luck Brides, #1)
  • Tides Of Love (Zebra Historical Romance)
  • To Love a Scoundrel (Law and Disorder, #4)
  • Wild Angel
  • Forever Mine (The Rumor, #0.5)
  • Marry Me (Reidsville, #2)
  • Amazon Lily
  • Rogue's Honor (The Saint Of Seven Dials, #1)
  • The Last Honest Seamstress
  • One True Love
  • Under the Desert Moon
  • The Black Angel (St. Ives Family, #1)
  • Passion's Tide
  • Wildblossom
  • Prisoner of Desire
  • The Kindling Heart (The Highland Heather and Hearts Scottish Romance Series, #1)
FACEBOOK Jill Barnett Books
Jill Barnett was born and raised in Southern California, in the kind of idyllic coastal town the Beach Boys made famous. But as a young girl she spent plenty of summers on her grandparents’ farm in Texas.

A gap in jobs in her mid-thirties sent Jill back to college and working toward her Masters degree. “I intended to finish school and teach, perhaps write college textboo...more
More about Jill Barnett...
Bewitching Wicked (Medieval Trilogy, #3) Wonderful (Medieval Trilogy, #1) Dreaming Wild (Medieval Trilogy, #2)