Start by marking “Just a Kiss Away” as Want to Read:
Just a Kiss Away

Just a Kiss Away

Arriving on a lush Pacific island, Eulalie Grace LaRue was soon to be reunited with the father she hadn't seen since childhood. Yet before Lollie's dreamed-of meeting could take place, the lovely Southern belle was caught in the crossfire of a violent revolution -- and thrown into the rugged arms of Sam Forester. On the run in the jungle, the battle-scarred soldier of fort ...more
Published October 1st 1998 by Pocket Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Just a Kiss Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just a Kiss Away

Heart of Fire by Linda HowardTinted Lenses by Jackie WilliamsThe Unseen by Sabrina DevonshireMidnight Rainbow by Linda HowardMangroves and Monsters by Sharon C. Pennington
Jungle Love
13th out of 63 books — 108 voters
Slightly Dangerous by Mary BaloghRavished by Amanda QuickHonor's Splendour by Julie GarwoodLove Is Blind by Lynsay SandsTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Ack! The Best Accident Prone Romantic Leads
54th out of 244 books — 108 voters

More lists with this book...

Feb 15, 2016 Zoe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keepers
I read this book many many years ago and loved it so very much. I am usually not much for southern belles, Yankees and America in the 18th/19th/early 20th centuries. But some of my absolute favorites are about the New World and its people. Just a Kiss Away is one of them.

I just re-read it tonight and this book ages well. I don't know what made this book so special. I only know that it is special to me.

Eulalie (what a name), aka Lollie was a delicate southern flower who grew up without her pare
Teresa Medeiros
Jan 12, 2012 Teresa Medeiros rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is like one of those wonderful slapstick comedies from the 30's and 40's starring Carole Lombard and Clark Gable. Think BRINGING UP BABY set in the Pacific jungle. The lovely thing about Jill's comedy is that she could put her characters in the most ridiculous situations imaginable without making them ridiculous. And just when you think she can only make you giggle, she leaves you with a lump in your throat. Her historicals, even the funniest ones, had tremendous heart and that's what ...more
Mar 01, 2013 Kathleen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathleen by: Sanya
Shelves: romance-historic

Content:Explicit sex, violence, cussing, profanity, 20+ typos in kindle version

No plot spoilers

Setting: July, 1896, Luzon Island, the Philippines. Manilla. Two years before the Spanish-American War and the Battle of Manilla Bay. (Barnett takes a broad brush when painting the setting. Unless you know the history, the remarkable events that occurred won't stand out.)

Just a Kiss Away. That's how close Sam needed to be, to see the freckles dotting Lolly's lovely cheeks. Awwww! Sweet, hmm?

No. Sam
Nov 24, 2013 Kindaslick rated it did not like it
Everyones going on about how horrible Sam is. I gotta back him up. After 17 chapters.. I'd kill that bitch myself if I could. I'm not getting it here. So.. what's the attraction? Because all I'm seeing is a blob of ignorance, insecurities and stupidity. Not one redeeming quality.

I'm not happy and no one likes me but if I keep doing the same thing over and over again maybe I'll suddenly be happy and everyone will like me?

You annoy me.

Feb 16, 2012 Jen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I'm sorry, but whenever a hero or anti-hero, in this case, continually calls his potential lover a stupid bitch (pardon my french) … that's when the book gets an automatic 1-star rating. The beginning few chapters were kind of boring too, and it was full of action.
Also, when the hero in a romance novel says "I'm not a hero in a romance novel." that screams cheesy, to me. Brings me back to the real world and out of the book's world, which no book ought to do.
Elaine Mcdonald
Jan 04, 2013 Elaine Mcdonald rated it liked it
Shelves: jill-barnett
I felt like I was stuck in a nightmare. I agree with another reviewer. It is an Amelia Bedelia for adults. Lottie was too dumb for too long. It kept me reading until I finished it but I am not sure if I would attempt another book by this author. It is different from anything I have read.
Nov 18, 2014 Sanya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a comedy. I laughed like crazy from the beginning to the end! ;)
Apr 07, 2015 Nessa rated it did not like it
I'm an absolute fan of Jill Barnett, although this one wasn't for me. The hero seemed much too mean whilst the heroine just annoyed the hell out of me with her constant screaming and everything. I understand that the heroine is supposed to be an innocent miss, but I feel like she lacks the strength that normally shines within Barnett's heroines, even though they are not physically tough but mentally I think they are brilliantly strong.

Although I do like the setting of the story, because it's rar
Feb 23, 2009 Ana rated it really liked it
Shelves: jill-barnett
I've had this book for more than 15yrs. The other day I decided to re-read it and boy I'm glad I did! It's a great book Loved the story line, I'm glad they didn't fall all over each other right away. I liked the character development,it was funny and witty. I see why I kept it all this years. This book stands the test of time I like it as much today as I did 15yr ago not so with alot of other books I've been re-reading whether It's me thathas changed because I'm older or the books that are dated ...more
Feb 27, 2014 Mary rated it liked it
Recommends it for: romance lovers
Recommended to Mary by: the author's name
Shelves: romance
Charming book. Action adventure meets romance. Eulalie gets caught in the middle of a chase, and makes a perfect hostage in her pristine gown. It takes her a while to figure out just what she's stumbled into. The man who has her claims to be protecting her, but she doesn't know from what, and she's less than impressed with his care. That gown is rather the worse for wear before long.

Poor Eulalie hasn't been trained for much, and is a constant thorn in his side. It's been a while since I read th
Mar 22, 2016 Nathalia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
My rating: 2.5
Danette Steward
Apr 27, 2012 Danette Steward rated it really liked it
Shelves: barnett-jill
I was highly entertained with this jungle adventure. Lots of laugh out loud moments. That dang bird cracked me up!! Lollie was a true southern bell...adorable, proper, and so darn naive. Sam reminded me of a VERY sarcastic hardened Indiana Jones that thrives on danger. What kind of mischief could these two get into?
Susan Gabel
Mar 01, 2013 Susan Gabel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jill-barnett
I remember when all the ladies at the bookstore read this book and how much we loved it. It is so funny. Lollie is a hoot and what she puts Sam through is worth reading the book just for this. I still have my copy and all my daughters have read it. If you can still find a copy I would recommend it for a good fun read.
Feb 08, 2013 Misfit marked it as no-thank-you  ·  review of another edition
Not my cuppa, but this is free today on Kindle. Love seeing these older romances get a new life as an e-book.
Carole Rae
May 17, 2016 Carole Rae rated it did not like it
This has been on my TBR list for quite some time now. I finally had a chunk of time to crack it open and read it. Well…..yeah…..I’m rather bummed.

I hated Sam. I wanted to kick him.

I hated “Lollie” or whatever the heck her name was.

Her father was an a-hole.

The brothers are creepily protective over her. I get it…your baby sister and you love her. But 1) kinda creepy and 2) CALM down.

The bird was HILARIOUS! It certainly entertained me. Certainly a huge boost there, because I loved him/her (not
Lollie has had pretty much no interaction with her father since her birth. Finally she has been summoned to join him in the Philippines. No sooner than she arrives she finds herself in one trouble after another but luckily for her she has a sinfully wicked Sam Forester to help keep her safe.
Lollie should have been called "Murphy" as in Murphy's Law, "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong." She really does get these harebrained ideas that pretty much never work out for her but make for some f
Aug 23, 2013 Annette rated it really liked it
Lolly Larue is a young southern belle who has never been out of South Carolina. Her mother died when she was very young. Her father has not been home for 17 years, and she has grown up with her 5 brothers caring for her and about her.

Sam Forester is a mercenary for the US government. He wears an eye patch to cover the spot where one of his eyes used to be.

When these 2 first meet, Sam is trying to escape from men who want to kill him and Lolly is strolling through the streets of a town in the Phi
Michelle Kelly
I'm exhausted after reading Just a Kiss Away. What an adventure.

Despite the fact I could not stand the heroine, Lollie, Just a Kiss Away was a great story. One adventure after another. I guess I have to thank Lollie for all of those moments but still, annoying is one effective word to describe her.

Just a Kiss Away seemed like a really long book. It kept going and going and just when I thought it was going to wind down, something else popped up. Lottie an
Aug 18, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Sam "an ass" Forester is an all around badass, and I love him for it. He's well over sixfoot, a ringing endorsement for a muscle bound strong man...ahhh gotta love them muscles. He tells Lollipop exactly like it is. This man is hard, he has had to be, growing up in the slums of Chicago. And he absolutely positively hates Lollie LaRue, that is until he sees beyond her airhead persona and sees the true scared little rich girl who sees herself as unworthy, and falls SPLAT completely in love. He fig ...more
Feb 26, 2012 Caroline rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook
I enjoyed this book to a certain extent. Lollie wasn't the most loveable of characters; in fact at times she annoyed me intensely. She was extremely pathetic throughout most of the book and Sam was very patient with her. I probably would have dumped her somewhere and given up. But I can see why she was like this and she does develop into a much stronger & better person.

I think what made this book was some of the escapades that both Lollie & Sam get into. And you have to admire the way t
Sue Burke
Mar 17, 2011 Sue Burke rated it it was amazing
I'm another one who's had this book in my book collection for years now, and find the story just as funny now as I did when I first read it. It reminds me in many ways of a slapstick comedy, mixed with romance, and when I need a laugh, this is the book that can make me laugh. Eulalie Grace LaRue makes a great heroine .... hopeful, intrepid, romantic, and accident-prone .... and soldier of fortune Sam Forrester's reactions to her through most of the book are the source of most of the humor in thi ...more
Ale Rivero
Sep 04, 2014 Ale Rivero rated it really liked it
Me he divertido de lo lindo con Lollie y Sam, me parecieron una pareja perfecta desde el principio a pesar de los dramas y las idas y vueltas por las que pasaron. Fue muy interesante ver como la autora logró desarrollar tan bien el personaje de Eulalie y cómo evolucionó a lo largo de la historia terminando por ser muy distinta a como había empezado; lo mismo ocurrió con Sam, que pudo empezar a reconocer sus sentimientos. Muy recomendable
Jenika Ioffreda
Oct 21, 2014 Jenika Ioffreda rated it really liked it
enjoyable read, with lots of funny moments and a sparkling chemistry between the two main characters.
Judy Wise
Mar 13, 2012 Judy Wise rated it really liked it
What a great story. Just took a chance on reading this story. Lollie has been raised by her older brothers that had no idea how to raise a child, all her life, sent has been sent to finishing schools taught everything must be prim and proper. Of course she does not do well, in fact she hates embroidering. Now her father has sent for her, and she is so excited. She gets mixed up with Sam who is a mercenary and they end up in the jungle where she slowing learns about life and Sam learn about women ...more
Oct 28, 2012 Ellen rated it it was ok
I read this one way, way back... so long ago that I don't even remember that I've read it. I just know I did because it's in the list that I keep of books I've read. Try as I might, I can't remember what the plot was about and when I read the Goodreads summary, I saw that it was set in the Philippines. How could I forget a book with a setting like that? It goes to show that I didn't like this one that much to have just forgotten about it. Thus the two stars, although I hate myself for giving Jil ...more
May 05, 2016 L rated it liked it
very funny ... made me laugh a lot
Apr 10, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it
Okay, so this was a free Kindle book and a total guilty pleasure read. I expected it to be cheesy and mindless, and it was but in a pleasant way. My only complaint is that the heroine is so helpless that it ceases to be amusing and slapstick and moves straight into "OMG I would leave her on her own to die in the jungle" territory. Still, in the end, she develops into a decent person, and I found Sam swoonworthy on many occasions. That's really all I'm asking for in a guilty pleasure read.
Feb 26, 2012 Liz rated it did not like it
I was looking for an indulgent read - and this nearly hit the mark. Nearly. I wanted to find out what happened, and I really, really *wanted* to like both of the main characters. But I just couldn't. It was too cliched, too easy. It fell into the trap of telling the reader about the characters' development rather than showing. So I finished, and it was fine, but I wasn't terribly impressed.
This would have been a great story if Lollie hadn't taken so long to get a clue and Sam hadn't been such an abusive jerk. Usually in these stories, the heroine steps up and pulls her weight at some point. That didn't happen here. And it is *never* okay to call a woman a "stupid bitch", especially one that you are having sex with, never mind one that you claim to love.
Feb 23, 2012 Renee rated it it was amazing
This book was thoroughly entertaining! (I'm not sure that the book jacket description or teaser really fits, it kind of fits I guess.) To me, this was not a typical romanance/chick-book. Lots of action, comedy, etc. I enjoyed all the characters, especially Medusa, who chimed in at just the right times! This was a free Kindle download!!
  • With this Kiss
  • Mistress to Her Husband
  • Knight of Seduction
  • A Fiery Baptism
  • Angelo's Captive Virgin
  • The Accidental Countess (Accidental, #2)
  • Conor's Way
  • The Sweet Surrender of Janet Buchanan (The MacGregors: Highland Heirs, #2.5)
  • The Dark Side of Desire
  • The Texan's Bride
  • Touched By Fire
  • To Seduce a Rogue (Southern Heat, #1)
  • Forever Mine (The Rumor, #0.5)
  • Ship of Dreams
  • Run Among Thorns
  • Under the Desert Moon
  • Silver-Tongued Devil
  • All I Want
FACEBOOK Jill Barnett Books
Jill Barnett was born and raised in Southern California, in the kind of idyllic coastal town the Beach Boys made famous. But as a young girl she spent plenty of summers on her grandparents’ farm in Texas.

A gap in jobs in her mid-thirties sent Jill back to college and working toward her Masters degree. “I intended to finish school and teach, perhaps write college textboo
More about Jill Barnett...