Lincoln Unmasked: What You're Not Supposed to Know About Dishonest Abe

Lincoln Unmasked: What You're Not Supposed to Know About Dishonest Abe

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  221 ratings  ·  26 reviews
What if you were told that the revered leader Abraham Lincoln was actually a political tyrant who stifled his opponents by suppressing their civil rights? What if you learned that the man so affectionately referred to as the “Great Emancipator” supported white supremacy and pledged not to interfere with slavery in the South? Would you suddenly start to question everything...more
Published November 27th 2007 by Three Rivers Press (first published October 10th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Lincoln Unmasked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lincoln Unmasked

John
This book tells the reader what most historians don't want us to know--that Abraham Lincoln was not the saintly president that is reputation tells us. Instead, he was a dictatorial scoundrel bent on increasing the power of the Federal government at any expense--namely the destruction not only of the South but of countless lives of his detractors. He tried to arrest Supreme Court Justice Taney, arrested and deported a congressman who vocally opposed his policies.

Additionally, Lincoln was a racist...more
Chris Hunt
I cannot remember the last time a non-fiction book had such an impact on my perspective of a historical event or figure.

This book makes many claims. Here are a few:

*Lincoln did not want to free the slaves and actually supported an amendment that would allow slavery to continue in the South.
*Lincoln destroyed the voluntary union the founding fathers recognized.
*Lincoln was not a friend of the Constitution and ran afoul of it time after time.

These, however, only touch the surface of the history...more
Steve Tappe
Thomas Dilorenzo really, really doesn't like Lincoln and what his administration did to permanently expand the role of the Federal Government. In this book, he hits Lincoln with everything, including the kitchen sink. I think the author's vehement tone will harm any attempt to persuade neutral readers. Its understandable that the anti-Lincoln crowd are driven to emotional excesses, since their target has been surrounded by nearly invulnerable cultural defenses. Lincoln's status as a saint makes...more
Doug
The author takes on "the Lincoln cult" in this fast (and loose) account of why Lincoln is so venerated and why he shouldn't be. Recommended with a grain of salt, as sources are haphazardly cited and there is a definite ideological axe being ground to one side only.

Nonetheless, this is a good introduction to the contrarian view of "honest" Abe, whose wartime suspension of habeas corpus and persecution of newspaper editors, to name but two, are none too praiseworthy.

The author does his best, I th...more
Kevin Goldsmith
This was truly an excellent book. A wonderful scholarly piece of literature challenging the convention of what DiLorenzo correctly terms "the Lincooln Cult", also affectionately known as "the Gate Keepers." It is a very succint piece of literature which I enjoyed reading very much.
Pat Dugan
This mentally ill "War Criminal" has become a legend based on historical lies. Revisionist History has served him well.His whole family suffered mental illness and he along with General Sherman are nothing but war criminals in Southern eyes.
David Bird
This is a book to appeal to those trapped in the wonder of that moment, somewhere around middle school, when a kid realizes that adults sometimes tell lies and behave in ways that they are later ashamed of, but still exercise a disproportionate control over his reality. And it gives a sense of how Fox News might have covered a Lincoln Administration as it unfolded, as opposed to one in the past, available for exploitation.

Mr DiLorenzo would have us be shocked that a politician was able to disti...more
Xiola
Grain of salt, folks. Grain of salt.
Jeff McCormack
Wow, what an absolutely amazing book! I have heard many lecture, read many smaller writings, and discovered so, so many truths about Lincoln over the past 20 years, and because of that I have never actually read a full treatise on him from start to finish (figuring I knew so much already). Well, I will say that most all of the topics in this book I was already aware of general thoughts about, but for once they all came together into one theme of why and how things went down.

The author pulls so...more
Michaelpatrick Keena
Apr 06, 2008 Michaelpatrick Keena rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who appreciates honest history
The author armed with tons of historic archival sources; not to mention the very words of Mr. Lincoln himself, debunks the Abe Lincoln cult. DiLorenzo does not villafy Lincoln; he only removes the veils of tradition, legend and the civil religion which has made Lincoln a key figure in the national pantheon. Yes, what we have is Abraham Lincoln, not the humble log splitter; but a high powered railroad lawyer, and political player. He was a man of his times; no more,no less. Sadly, when the man be...more
Renee
The book is full of information you will NEVER learn about President Lincoln unless you actively seek the TRUTH about the man. I would have given the book 5 stars except Mr. DiLorenzo's writing style is a bit too defensive. He certainly minces few words which is refreshing, republicans and democrats alike are in his cross-hairs. The book is a quick read and I highly recomment it for anyone who would rather know the truth about our American history than just "drink the kool-aid".
Blake Maddux
My ratings for goodreads are based mostly on how much I enjoyed reading the book. I am not expert enough on Abraham Lincoln to know for sure if DiLorenzo is right or wrong in his assessment of him. But the author does a good job of supporting his delightfully contrarian arguments. And any book that describes William F. Buckley, Jr., as a "right-wing socialist" at least has that going for it.
Dwayne Roberts
The world loves Lincoln. Here's a book that convincingly demonstrates that the adoration, idolization, and deification is undeserved. After reading Lincoln Unmasked, one can hold no doubt that Lincoln was the most destructive, un-American president in U.S. history.

I prefer DiLorenzo's prior book, The Real Lincoln, for its style. But both books tell an eye-opening history.
S.
Possessing a keen interest in all things related to the Civil War, I enjoyed the bulk of this book. It captured my interest and well educated me. However, the final section of the book dragged. It deals with Lincoln's tariff/economic policies. The first two sections, which deals more directly with the president and his social policies, are far more interesting.
David Robins
Not as in-depth as his earlier book ("The Real Lincoln"); seems like it's a modernized version, i.e., shorter overall and with shorter chapters, snappier, sometimes using a "Myth/Fact" format, and so forth. The main additions are response to critics and authors in the "Lincoln cult" plus some recommendations of more objective treatments from outsiders.
Hyzer Anhyzer
Great companion to The Real Lincoln. More truth they won't teach you in school.
Brett McNeill
Very interesting. If half of what he says is true, it destroys the common assumptions about Lincoln. At minimum it shows the severe disregard of the constitution under the Lincoln administration and helps to set a chronology for the use of slavery as a justification for the conquest of the Confederacy.
Bill Lydon
Great book that makes the argument that in the Civil War, the North did not fight for “liberty and justice” but for “control of Southern markets”. Much information that I was never aware of and that plays an important part to this day with the US invasion of Iraq.
Max
Awesome look into real history, author clearly looks at the real sources and has a complete economics grasp on history without naive moral idealism. Some questionable tact, but awesome read.
Jason Hallmark
So far, an excellent book. Its a follow up from his first book, "The Real Lincoln", and I would definitely read that one first before reading this. DiLorenzo is a very fluid and captivating writer.
Matt
Great historical look at Lincoln putting his legacy to the test. Looked at his presidency and the Civil War from a libertarian and Austrian Economic view point.
Justin
Snide tone, but an interesting--and often quite valid--reinterpretation of historical events.
Terry Moffitt
Very different, thought proviking, book about the Lincoln never studied in school.
Sean
really great insight. has peaked my interest toward finding more of the truth
Cindy
More eye opening material on "Saint" Lincoln
Bryan Simonson
Bryan Simonson marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Mark Hancock
Mark Hancock is currently reading it
Sep 03, 2014
Angelo
Angelo marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
  • 33 Questions About American History You're Not Supposed to Ask
  • FDR's Folly: How Roosevelt and His New Deal Prolonged the Great Depression
  • A Nation of Sheep
  • A Foreign Policy of Freedom: Peace, Commerce, and Honest Friendship
  • Churchill, Hitler and "The Unnecessary War": How Britain Lost Its Empire and the West Lost the World
  • New Deal or Raw Deal?: How FDR's Economic Legacy Has Damaged America
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Great Depression and the New Deal
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Civil War
  • What Has Government Done to Our Money? and The Case for the 100 Percent Gold Dollar
  • Democracy--The God That Failed: The Economics and Politics of Monarchy, Democracy, and Natural Order
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Constitution
  • The Austrian Theory of the Trade Cycle and Other Essays
  • Whatever Happened to Justice?
  • Ten P's in a Pod: The Million-Mile Journal of a Home School Family
  • The Recollections and Letters of General Robert E. Lee (Civil War Library)
Thomas James DiLorenzo is an American economics professor at Loyola University Maryland. He identifies himself as an adherent of the Austrian School of economics. He is a senior fellow of the Ludwig von Mises Institute and an associated scholar of the Abbeville Institute. He holds a Ph.D. in Economics from Virginia Tech.
More about Thomas J. DiLorenzo...
The Real Lincoln: A New Look at Abraham Lincoln, His Agenda, and an Unnecessary War How Capitalism Saved America: The Untold History of Our Country, from the Pilgrims to the Present Hamilton's Curse: How Jefferson's Arch Enemy Betrayed the American Revolution--and What It Means for Americans Today Organized Crime: The Unvarnished Truth About Government Abraham Lincoln: Friend or Foe of Freedom?