A Study in Scandal (Ladies' Amateur Sleuth Society, #1)

A Study in Scandal (Ladies' Amateur Sleuth Society #1)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Who are the Ladies' Amateur Sleuth Society: Four unconventional beauties banding together to unravel real-life mysteries?

or

Four best friends past the age of twenty with no marital prospects and nothing better to occupy their time?

Lady Amelia Watersfield's lighthearted detecting club becomes more than simply an intriguing diversion when her father's priceless Egyptian artif...more
Mass Market Paperback, 353 pages
Published February 28th 2006 by Avon Books

To ask other readers questions about A Study in Scandal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Study in Scandal

Secrets of a Summer Night by Lisa KleypasBet Me by Jennifer CrusieVision in White by Nora RobertsHappy Ever After by Nora RobertsSavor the Moment by Nora Roberts
Romance with strong female friendships
94th out of 144 books — 98 voters
Devil in Winter by Lisa KleypasSecrets of a Summer Night by Lisa KleypasThe Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer AshleyIt Happened One Autumn by Lisa KleypasScandal in Spring by Lisa Kleypas
Victorian Romance (1837 - 1901)
356th out of 443 books — 114 voters

More lists with this book...

ChloeLeeNH
This book was a lot of fun. Robyn DeHart's website is great about background and I love that she gives pictures of who her H/H look like to her.
nurmawati

lupa bikin ripiu yang ini.....:p

gak gitu panjang ripiu nya soalnya udah agak lupa...

lady amelia : seorg lady yang sudah cukup umur untuk menikah tapi memilih buat enggak menikah dan menemani ayah nya yang eksentrik....

Inspector Colin Brindley : di sewa oleh ayah lady amelia buat mencari patung nefertity kesayangannya yang di curi dari rumahnya sendiri..
patung tersebut sangat berharga karena merupakan peninggalan ibunda amelia untuk ayah nya sebelum meninggal....

collin co yang tertutup, gak suka...more
A copy of my amazon review.

This is my first book by this author and I grant it's not really my preference. The blurb sounded really interesting and what drew me in. The premise was good, if a little out there.

***MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS, READ AT YOUR WILL***

The hero (Colin) was alright, everything a hero in a romance book should be. I must say though that he was quite incompetent as an inspector. JMO of course.

Now for what really bugged me, the heroine (Amelia). On page 48 my opinion of her was ceme...more
Vilia
Review from Backchatting Books

Lady Amelia Watersfield is so fascinated by the idea of solving mysteries she sets up an amateur detecting club. She and her friends have an opportunity to hone their skills when an Egyptian bust belonging to her father is stolen. Inspector Colin Brindley who bears a strong resemblance to Amelia's fantasy vision of Sherlock Holmes finds Amelia and her friends intervening repeatedly in his investigation.

Amelia and Colin both irked me. For someone so enamoured of prop...more
Anne
Clever and cute story of four spinsters who pretend they are amateur sleuths. When one of the girl's (lady Amelia Westerfield) father's priceless Egyptian head study of Nefertiti disappears, their sleuthing begins in earnest. The detective assigned to the case, Colin Brindley becomes a Sherlock Holmes substitute to Amelia and she is determined to "help" him find the culprit. at first he finds her annoying, but her wit and persistence soon has him seeing her in a different light.
Recommended.
Melody May
Also found at http://sillymelody.blogspot.com

The book is set in late 1800s just around the corner to the turn of the century. It is the first book in the series called Ladies Amateur Sleuth Society. Well, it was a fun read. I really like the quotes from Sherlock Holmes book. The two main characters are Amelia and Colin and they are trying to solve the mystery who stole her father's bust of Nefertiti.
If you are looking for a little mystery with your romance you might like reading this book.
That's...more
Sarai
This book was okay and simply okay. Every once in a while I was surprised but for the most part it was just okay the characters were cute but nothing specific the lines were dull. This would be nice for a filler and nothing more.
Diane K. Peterson
A cute, sweet book. DeHart has a breezy, comfortable writing style that I enjoy. The plot was cute, but sort of silly. It was the developing relationship between the characters that made the book enjoyable. Nice.
Katie
I picked this up for $2 at Garden Ridge, and I was surprised at how good of a read it was! Engaging characters and plot. I am interested to read her other novels.
Sally Kinane
Somehow the mystery got lost with too much dwelling on their passions. Result weak but predictable plot.
Christina
Least favorite of the Lady's Amateur Sleuth Society Series. Amelia just seems slightly immature for her age
Melanie
Waffled between a 2/3 star. It is a cute book for a quick weekend read but it is a bit silly.
Jewel
Patty McKenna Van Hulle
Patty McKenna Van Hulle marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Sheila
Sheila marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Beth
Beth added it
Jul 23, 2014
JoRead
JoRead marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Cruth
Cruth added it
Aug 05, 2014
Rettah
Rettah marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Sharyn
Sharyn marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
National Bestselling author, Robyn DeHart’s novels have appeared in the top bestselling romance and historical romance lists. Her books have been translated into nearly a dozen languages. Her historical romantic adventure series, The Legend Hunters, were not only bestsellers, but also award-winners, snagging a Reader’s Crown and a Reviewer’s Choice award. She had three releases in 2013 and 2014 wi...more
More about Robyn DeHart...
Seduce Me (The Legend Hunters, #1) The Secrets of Mia Danvers (Dangerous Liaisons, #1) Desire Me (The Legend Hunters, #2) Treasure Me (The Legend Hunters, #3) A Little Bit Wicked (Forbidden Love, #1)