Start by marking “Teachings of the Buddha” as Want to Read:
Teachings of the Buddha

Teachings of the Buddha

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  788 ratings  ·  38 reviews
This treasury of essential Buddhist writings draws from the most popular Indian, Tibetan, Chinese, and Japanese sources. Among the selections are some of the earliest recorded sayings of the Buddha on the practice of freedom, passages from later Indian scriptures on the perfection of wisdom, verses from Tibetan masters on the enlightened mind, and songs in praise of medita ...more
Published March 9th 2004 by Shambhala (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Teachings of the Buddha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teachings of the Buddha

Siddhartha by Hermann HesseThe Art of Happiness by Dalai Lama XIVZen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu SuzukiWhen Things Fall Apart by Pema ChödrönPeace Is Every Step by Thích Nhất Hạnh
A Buddhist Reading List
113th out of 524 books — 685 voters
The Harder We Run by William Hamilton HarrisThe Life And Words Of Martin Luther King Jr. by Ira PeckAnd Still I Rise by Maya AngelouAh, This! by Osho1984 by George Orwell
Books Read by Tupac Shakur
67th out of 72 books — 32 voters

More lists with this book...

Mandy
This is just a little book, but it's probably my favorite of the Buddha's teachings. I don't know if it's Kornfield's translations (which are beautiful) or the selections, but this is the book that sits on my nightstand, or next to my computer, or on my desk to work. It is the source I go to when I need a prayer, or a lesson, or something to share with a friend. Really a beautiful little book.
Sophorn
There is no fire like greed. No crime like hatred.
No sorrow like separation.
No sickness like hunger of heart, And no joy like the joy of freedom. Health and contentment, and trust are your greatest possessions, and freedom your greatest joy. Look within, Be still. Free from fear and attachment, know the sweet joy of living in the way.
Lon
A collection of sayings, parables, teachings, exhortations attributed to the Buddha. Some cryptic, some inscrutable, but Kornfield has obviously mined the scriptural canon well; each page either shines outrightly, or hints of some pearl to be sought with deeper digging.

A few favorites:

As in the ocean's midmost depth no wave is born, but all is still, so let the practitioners be still, be motionless, and nowhere should they swell.
_________

See yourself in others.
Then whom can you hurt?
What harm ca
Bruno Martinez-Leo
Great book for introduction to understanding Buddhism. Really enjoyed reading and re-reading several of its pages. It's not a book you just read but truly meditate, re-read and think over again. I do really recommend it.
Clark Hallman
Teachings of the Buddha, edited by Jack Kornfield, presents selections of Buddhist writings from Indian, Chinese, Japanese, and Tibetan bodhisattvas (awakened beings who have followed and taught the wisdom of the Buddha). Kornfield, who trained as a Buddhist monk in Southeast Asia, cofounded Insight Meditation Center in Barre, Massachusetts and Spirit Rock Meditation Center in Woodacre, California and has shared his knowledge of Buddhism though numerous excellent books. For this collection, Korn ...more
Aayla
Buddhism is a beautiful philosophy that never ceases to help me see things differently and grow into the person I want to become. Some of the Buddha teachings are very helpful, and many are still very far over my head. This book is one of those gems that you must return to infinitely.
Renaissance
A inspirational collection of Buddhist sayings from ancient and modern writers. Not a book to be read cover-to-cover in one sitting, but a book for reflection after each passage. The shorter passages of the ancients struck me as the most meaningful and insightful; for example, "Meditate. Live purely. Be quiet. Do your work, with mastery." (from the Dhammapada)--simple, yet layered with meaning. Some of the longer passages were pedantic, due often to repetitions of the same idea with minor variat ...more
Annie Grigg
Picked this up at the library out of curiosity. Bought it at chapters the next day. Absolutely love it. Really fills the soul and truly is a book you can learn from and apply towards a happier life.
Sunny in Wonderland
I thought this was going to be something else. This is more like reading Aesop's Fables, except these are by/about the Buddha. But, without a basic understanding of Buddhist history, many of the tales didn't easily make sense to me. (I'm looking at you, Zen Master Dogen, and your 'Actualizing the Fundamental Point' section.)

Nevertheless, I enjoyed quite a few from the Dhammapada, which makes me want that in its entirety. Some of my favorites were 'Wakefulness', 'Harmlessness', 'Virtue', and 'Joy
Andrew Vidal
I thought this was a decent collection of the Buddha's teachings from such various sources as the Dhammapada, the Nikayas, the Sutras, as well as snippets from Tibetan and Zen texts. Due to its broad scope, I wouldn't recommend this to someone looking for in-depth instruction on the teachings, but as something to keep on the coffee table and flip through whenever one could use a reminder of the benefits attained from living a life mindfulness and contemplation.
Brian B  Baker
I read this book fast, not because it was boring but because it's not the type of book you read, it's one that you keep on the shelf and when the moment is right you read it again, and refer to it later for inspiration in life.

I recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn about the Buddha's teachings. This is a book everyone should have, regardless of beliefs.
Jack Forge
An excellent sampling of the teachings of Siddhārtha Gautama! I tried books on Zen by D.T. Suzuki in my youth but did not glean more than an abiding curiosity. Since then I have been interested in knowing Buddhism. This little book makes it easy for one to understand and absorb the lessons of one of the greatest masters of human living.
Christal
Was a good read, took a while to give it justice but doesn't paint a picture of modern Buddhism. it's snippets of the general beliefs that started the religion and nothing about what has changed and not. A good start though to now if you would want to learn more (not necessarily if you wanted to convert) about the culture and religion.
Lori
How can you go wrong with beautiful, short, well written lessons and thoughts from the Buddha? You can't. I like to use it as a sort of divination when I am having a problem by just letting the book open randomly and reading that passage. There is always a truth or learning that can be applied to whatever I am going through.
Joshua
Very brief explanation of the the teachings of the Buddha. It is a very small book. I bought in this book in the days before e-reading. In those days size mattered when deciding what to read on an airplane. I recommend this as a great pocket read. Something to read on an airplane, train, or bus.
Joe
Going through this one over and over again, which is why I can simultaneously give it five stars and still categorize the book as "currently-reading"! Great, short, quick wisdom for day-to-day life. It fits well with my pathetic attention span :)
Matt
An excellent, well-rounded collection containing most of the Buddha's basic teachings (or teachings said to be by him). The texts are from multiple translators, and are generally very readable and easy to understand.
Steven Stark
This is a great series of short teachings attributed to the Buddha, mixed with those from more recent followers. It's a great book to just open randomly and read a section, which is usually just a page or two.
Aaron
Aug 28, 2008 Aaron rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Students of religion, students of buddhism
Shelves: religion, philosophy
Enlightening. The concepts contained within this volume of works could be universally applicable. It's an interesting moral framework, especially in these days of absolute extremes.
Jo
Aug 12, 2010 Jo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: buddhism
This is one of my favorite collections of Buddhist writings, and a frequent choice for early morning readings. Many thanks to Jack Kornfield for the masterful selections!
h
borrowed from brendan. i read this in snippets over time. some translations were more clear than others. overall, a nice collection of writings with much food for thought.
Floydsalerno
Another in my learn about the world series.. don't worry, you won't shave your head,, just relax and learn a little about the world.
Phillip Moffitt
This collection of the Buddha’s teachings is an excellent reference and makes for good daily inspirational reading.
Shan
Apr 27, 2010 Shan is currently reading it
This will be an ongoing 'currently reading'. I doubt I'll review it as much as enjoy it and gain inspiration.
Hiatt Zhao
I read this book but I don't remember much from it. I guess that's the truth meaning of emptiness.
David Roberts
Nice collection put together by Jack Kornfield, with stories from ancient to modern.
Jack
Very nice collection. A perfect volume for carrying around and delving into momentarily.
Ingrid
A learning experience. I had to read it as part of my Philosophy class.
Mike
Excellent selections from Buddhist writings. No commentary. Just selections.
L. L.  Kelly
A book to read and return to numberless times, for numberless reasons.
  • Buddha Is as Buddha Does: The Ten Original Practices for Enlightened Living
  • Insight Meditation Kit
  • In the Buddha's Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon
  • The Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha: A Translation of the Majjhima Nikaya
  • Walking Meditation [With CD and DVD]
  • The Dhammapada: A New Translation of the Buddhist Classic with Annotations
  • The Experience of Insight: A Simple & Direct Guide to Buddhist Meditation (Shambhala Dragon Editions)
  • Breathe! You Are Alive: Sutra on the Full Awareness of Breathing
  • Dancing With Life: Buddhist Insights for Finding Meaning and Joy in the Face of Suffering
  • Being Nobody, Going Nowhere: Meditations on the Buddhist Path
  • The Long Discourses of the Buddha: A Translation of the Digha Nikaya
  • Rebel Buddha: On the Road to Freedom
  • Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness
  • Food for the Heart: The Collected Teachings of Ajahn Chah
  • Hooked!: Buddhist Writings on Greed, Desire, and the Urge to Consume
Jack Kornfield trained as a Buddhist monk in the monasteries of Thailand, India and Burma. He has taught meditation internationally since 1974 and is one of the key teachers to introduce Buddhist mindfulness practice to the West. He began his training after graduating from Dartmouth College in Asian Studies in 1967. Then he joined the Peace Corps and was assigned to the Public Health Service in no ...more
More about Jack Kornfield...
A Path with Heart: A Guide Through the Perils and Promises of Spiritual Life The Wise Heart: A Guide to the Universal Teachings of Buddhist Psychology After the Ecstasy, the Laundry: How the Heart Grows Wise on the Spiritual Path Meditation for Beginners The Art of Forgiveness, Lovingkindness, and Peace