Meditation in Action (Shambhala Library)

Meditation in Action (Shambhala Library)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  450 ratings  ·  22 reviews
This classic teaching by a Tibetan master continues to inspire both beginners and long-time practitioners of Buddhist meditation. In Meditation in Action, Chögyam Trungpa teaches that meditation is based on trying to see what is, rather than trying to achieve a higher mental or physical state. Trungpa describes the life of the Buddha, emphasizing that, like the Buddha, we...more
Published November 16th 2004 by Shambhala (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Meditation in Action, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meditation in Action

Jonathan Hays
First published in 1969 this Buddhist gem has not gone out of print for over 40 years. Clearly the author was making an strong effort to present these concepts to the Western mind and he succeeded brilliantly. For anyone interested in Buddhism this is a must read.
Andrew Lenards
The parts about the Manure of Experience and the Ego Bubble were worth reading the entire book. Wicked short! The version I read was 74 pages.
Charlie
In the highly sensitive and spiritually inclined cultures of India there are a number of forms of Yoga (union-with-the-beloved). One is Bhakti or devotional yoga, another is Karma yoga or the practice of selfless work in service (also called Seva). The ultimate yoga is called Raja yoga or the yoga of kings whereupon, the student is given extensive practices to perform, dietary regulations to adhere to, prayers and words to memorize, and a whole catalog of proscriptions, prescriptions, and inscri...more
Leslie
Loved it, but then I read this book seeking the precise formula of "answers" described by the author, so I am biased to say the least. Though it's organized in chapters, it reads more like a train of thought monologue seeking to address particular subjects. This is a short book, but it took me a couple of weeks to get through it because it was so densely packed with insight that I had to stop and contemplate. I anticipated a guide or commentary on sitting meditation but the author's aim, which h...more
Mckinley
Brief look focusing on the paramitas.
Megan
Sep 02, 2014 Megan marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
h
Steve
I dunno...i'm going through my shelves of "Eastern Spirituality" and trying to sort the wheat from the chaff, and am not really sure what to do with Trungpa. This time out, I'm leaning "chaff", I'm afraid. One wants to get beyond "concepts", but the Tibetan tradition (for me, at least) overcomplicates with its own conceptual grid. He's a smart guy, just not a great fit for me at present. And too heavy on the guru principle.
Brendan
Jan 29, 2008 Brendan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brendan by: Katie H
Just a taste...

"We never allow anything to really happen or take place in our mind. One thought comes and almost before we finish that another one comes in and overlaps it and then another."

It's a quick read and a nice overview of Tibetan (yes?) buddhism. Sometimes it felt like stream of consciousness and a little hard to follow, but there were some gems like the one above.
Ann Evans
Astonishingly simple explanations of the deepest things of life. The stories of Buddha and the great teachers are woven into the rest of his explanations in a way that does not seem didactic. He has a grace and depth which is beguiling and nourishing. I've learned a lot.
Elise Blair
I just could not get into his style of writing. I kept finding myself daydreaming about something else. Had trouble being mindful when it came to this one. But the girl who lent it to me is reading it for a second time so what do I know.
h.
Aug 14, 2011 h. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to h. by: Larry
Not especially accesible. Not dumbed down. Not for the sofa-shamans. But if you pick it up, it could give you the swift kick in your ass you're looking for. I assume you'd never pick it up otherwise.

Not for the fool-hardy.
Leslie
There were parts of this book that I found very interesting but I think I am also comparing it with another one of Chogyam Trungpa's books that I found more valuable.
Marlo
While there is no substitute for a real teacher, this book offers some solid advice for those seeking to learn about the practice of meditation.
read this once, thought about it for two years, am now reading it again. think I'm getting it this time. no doubt I am fooling myself.
Sally
A very clear modern presentation of some of the basic ideas of Buddhism, but in a way anyone can benefit from. A helpful book.
absitmonchai
The quintessential book on mindfulness by one of the most profound teachers of Tibetan Buddhism this century has seen.
Peter Yumi
Seriously one of the most profound books I learned so much about meditation from this.
Cyndee
A really nice guide to meditation, without frills, written by a true Tibetan master.
Megan
I reread this book again and again.
Robtee
get out of the house!
Aparna
Aparna is currently reading it
Sep 23, 2014
Sally Campbell
Sally Campbell marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Wambui Jl
Wambui Jl marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Paola Aragon
Paola Aragon marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
  • The Pocket Pema Chodron
  • Ruling Your World: Ancient Strategies For Modern Life
  • Touching Peace: Practicing the Art of Mindful Living
  • A Heart as Wide as the World: Stories on the Path of Lovingkindness
  • Stages Of Meditation
  • Open to Desire: Embracing a Lust for Life - Insights from Buddhism and Psychotherapy
  • Toward a Psychology of Awakening: Buddhism, Psychotherapy, and the Path of Personal and Spiritual Transformation
  • Nothing Special
  • Zen Training: Methods And Philosophy
  • The Way of the Bodhisattva: A Translation of the Bodhicharyavatara
  • Meditation: A Simple Eight-Point Program for Translating Spiritual Ideals into Daily Life
  • Seeking the Heart of Wisdom: The Path of Insight Meditation
  • The Words of My Perfect Teacher
  • Meditation for Beginners
  • A Gradual Awakening
  • Coming to Our Senses: Healing Ourselves and the World Through Mindfulness
Vidyadhara Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche (Tibetan: ཆོས་ རྒྱམ་ དྲུང་པ་ Wylie: Chos rgyam Drung pa; also known as Dorje Dradul of Mukpo, Surmang Trungpa, after his monastery, or Chökyi Gyatso, of which Chögyam is an abbreviation) was a Buddhist meditation master, scholar, teacher, poet, and artist. He was the 11th descendent in the line of Trungpa tulkus of the Kagyü school of Tibetan Buddhism. He was al...more
More about Chögyam Trungpa...
Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism Shambhala: The Sacred Path of the Warrior Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness The Myth of Freedom and the Way of Meditation Crazy Wisdom