Start by marking “Meditation in Action (Shambhala Library)” as Want to Read:
Meditation in Action (Shambhala Library)

Meditation in Action (Shambhala Library)

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  667 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
This classic teaching by a Tibetan master continues to inspire both beginners and long-time practitioners of Buddhist meditation. In Meditation in Action, Chögyam Trungpa teaches that meditation is based on trying to see what is, rather than trying to achieve a higher mental or physical state. Trungpa describes the life of the Buddha, emphasizing that, like the Buddha, we ...more
Published November 16th 2004 by Shambhala (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Meditation in Action, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meditation in Action

Jonathan Hays
Apr 13, 2013 Jonathan Hays rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
First published in 1969 this Buddhist gem has not gone out of print for over 40 years. Clearly the author was making an strong effort to present these concepts to the Western mind and he succeeded brilliantly. For anyone interested in Buddhism this is a must read.
h.
Aug 14, 2011 h. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to h. by: Larry
Shelves:
Not especially accesible. Not dumbed down. Not for the sofa-shamans. But if you pick it up, it could give you the swift kick in your ass you're looking for. I assume you'd never pick it up otherwise.

Not for the fool-hardy.
Cynthia Egbert
Apr 28, 2015 Cynthia Egbert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the everyday application that this book offers. I especially appreciate the exercises offered that keep one humble and open to inspiration from whatever deity you receive revelation from in your life. I recommend this one highly if you are interested in getting started in mediation or if you already meditate and you need to move that skill into giving you a sense of stillness in your everyday activities.
Tim
Aug 25, 2015 Tim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book struck me as scattered and, while somewhat insightful, it introduces a lot of concepts without having a clear idea of how much the reader ought to know about Buddhism or meditation or what level the reader is at. For example, it rapidly switches from advice for new meditators about learning from scriptures to advice about how to teach wisdom to others.

I understood why this disorder happened when I listened to the afterward. It turns out that the book was transcribed from a series of le
Andrew Lenards
May 13, 2012 Andrew Lenards rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The parts about the Manure of Experience and the Ego Bubble were worth reading the entire book. Wicked short! The version I read was 74 pages.
Megan
Sep 02, 2014 Megan marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
h
Charlie
Nov 23, 2008 Charlie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
In the highly sensitive and spiritually inclined cultures of India there are a number of forms of Yoga (union-with-the-beloved). One is Bhakti or devotional yoga, another is Karma yoga or the practice of selfless work in service (also called Seva). The ultimate yoga is called Raja yoga or the yoga of kings whereupon, the student is given extensive practices to perform, dietary regulations to adhere to, prayers and words to memorize, and a whole catalog of proscriptions, prescriptions, and inscri ...more
Leslie
Dec 29, 2011 Leslie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mind-body-soul
Loved it, but then I read this book seeking the precise formula of "answers" described by the author, so I am biased to say the least. Though it's organized in chapters, it reads more like a train of thought monologue seeking to address particular subjects. This is a short book, but it took me a couple of weeks to get through it because it was so densely packed with insight that I had to stop and contemplate. I anticipated a guide or commentary on sitting meditation but the author's aim, which h ...more
Nathalie
Feb 25, 2015 Nathalie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I actually did not like it. I thought it was going to be about things like walking meditation, etc, instead it turned out to be a big philosophical thing about what meditation is and is not. Very boring (for me). Felt like splitting hair in 12!! Me no likey...
Nicholas Smith
Jan 14, 2015 Nicholas Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This little book is a powerhouse. I'm early in my buddhist meditation studies, but the ease in which Trungpa tackles complex topics like the self and the ego is perspective-shifting. The humility of the words is striking. The colorful stories sear in the mind. This book will be read again.
James Irwin
May 07, 2015 James Irwin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A collection of philosophers, writers, thinkers, Native American wisdom, which shows that the spiritual side needs as much attention as the physical side. It's about feeding the soul, evolving spirituality...forward by Duncan Goodhew
Tarmo
Jun 11, 2015 Tarmo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not about how to meditate, but what meditation is. Also about Buddism, lamas and the mindset. Bit too slow and philosophical. I wanted more info about how to meditate.
Erick
Apr 30, 2015 Erick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meditation
A must read for anyone getting into meditation and a great introduction to buddhist way of thinking.
Laura Thompson
This is a good introduction to the Buddhist philosophy and meditation.
Kate
Apr 30, 2015 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clarified that meditation is not about concentration.
Kirsten
Beautifully simple with such wisdom.
Steve
Jan 05, 2014 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I dunno...i'm going through my shelves of "Eastern Spirituality" and trying to sort the wheat from the chaff, and am not really sure what to do with Trungpa. This time out, I'm leaning "chaff", I'm afraid. One wants to get beyond "concepts", but the Tibetan tradition (for me, at least) overcomplicates with its own conceptual grid. He's a smart guy, just not a great fit for me at present. And too heavy on the guru principle.
Brendan
Jan 29, 2008 Brendan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brendan by: Katie H
Just a taste...

"We never allow anything to really happen or take place in our mind. One thought comes and almost before we finish that another one comes in and overlaps it and then another."

It's a quick read and a nice overview of Tibetan (yes?) buddhism. Sometimes it felt like stream of consciousness and a little hard to follow, but there were some gems like the one above.
Ann Evans
Sep 05, 2015 Ann Evans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Astonishingly simple explanations of the deepest things of life. The stories of Buddha and the great teachers are woven into the rest of his explanations in a way that does not seem didactic. He has a grace and depth which is beguiling and nourishing. I've learned a lot.
Þór Hauksson
As much as Trungpa's book "Smile at Fear" resonated with me, this book (being one of his more widely read) did not manage to generate the same effect. Perhaps because it is less exotic, explaining meditation in a more down-to-earth fashion.
Elise Blair
Apr 04, 2013 Elise Blair rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I just could not get into his style of writing. I kept finding myself daydreaming about something else. Had trouble being mindful when it came to this one. But the girl who lent it to me is reading it for a second time so what do I know.
Leslie
There were parts of this book that I found very interesting but I think I am also comparing it with another one of Chogyam Trungpa's books that I found more valuable.
Marlo
May 29, 2007 Marlo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
While there is no substitute for a real teacher, this book offers some solid advice for those seeking to learn about the practice of meditation.
Jul 21, 2013 5 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
read this once, thought about it for two years, am now reading it again. think I'm getting it this time. no doubt I am fooling myself.
Sally
Jan 26, 2008 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very clear modern presentation of some of the basic ideas of Buddhism, but in a way anyone can benefit from. A helpful book.
Meg
Aug 04, 2015 Meg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a wonderful and still relevant introduction to the six paramitas, and the purpose of meditation in one's life.
absitmonchai
Oct 12, 2012 absitmonchai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The quintessential book on mindfulness by one of the most profound teachers of Tibetan Buddhism this century has seen.
Peter Yumi
Feb 22, 2008 Peter Yumi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seriously one of the most profound books I learned so much about meditation from this.
Cyndee
Mar 10, 2009 Cyndee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really nice guide to meditation, without frills, written by a true Tibetan master.
Mckinley
Mar 10, 2015 Mckinley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, buddhism
Brief look focusing on the paramitas.
  • Awakening Loving-Kindness
  • Touching Peace: Practicing the Art of Mindful Living (Being Peace, #2)
  • Ruling Your World: Ancient Strategies For Modern Life
  • Stages of Meditation
  • The Heart of Buddhist Meditation: The Buddha's Way of Mindfulness
  • It's Up to You: The Practice of Self-Reflection on the Buddhist Path
  • Women Of Wisdom
  • A Heart as Wide as the World: Stories on the Path of Lovingkindness
  • The Jewel Tree of Tibet: The Enlightenment Engine of Tibetan Buddhism
  • Toward a Psychology of Awakening: Buddhism, Psychotherapy, and the Path of Personal and Spiritual Transformation
  • Meditation: A Simple Eight-Point Program for Translating Spiritual Ideals into Daily Life
  • Nothing Special
  • Open to Desire: Embracing a Lust for Life - Insights from Buddhism and Psychotherapy
  • The Words of My Perfect Teacher
  • The Way of the Bodhisattva: A Translation of the Bodhicharyavatara
  • Seeking the Heart of Wisdom: The Path of Insight Meditation
  • Coming to Our Senses: Healing Ourselves and the World Through Mindfulness
  • The Way of the White Clouds
Vidyadhara Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche (Tibetan: ཆོས་ རྒྱམ་ དྲུང་པ་ Wylie: Chos rgyam Drung pa; also known as Dorje Dradul of Mukpo, Surmang Trungpa, after his monastery, or Chökyi Gyatso, of which Chögyam is an abbreviation) was a Buddhist meditation master, scholar, teacher, poet, and artist. He was the 11th descendent in the line of Trungpa tulkus of the Kagyü school of Tibetan Buddhism. He was al ...more
More about Chögyam Trungpa...