Start by marking “The Cad (C Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Cad (C Series, #1)

The Cad (C Series #1)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Bridget Cooke possesses the gifts London society prizes: genteel manners, intelligence, an exquisite figure. She lacks, however, a fortune. A companion to icy relatives, Bridget resigns herself to a life of solitude, especially because of the childhood scar that mars her lovely face. Little does she expect to receive the vigorous attentions of darkly handsome, rich widower ...more
Published August 5th 1998 by HarperTorch (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Cad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cad

Jeri
Bridget Cooke is a poor relation when a chance meeting with rakish Lord Ewen Sinclair leads to a hasty marriage. After glorious honeymoon, Ewen is called away and Bridget is left to hints and rumors about Ewen's behavior and even about the truth of their marriage.

This is another one that started off great. I enjoyed it, but the separation was, well, tedious. It was obvious what was going on and it lasted too long -- they are apart for nearly half the book. I found myself skimming, where I had be
Ana T.
I've heard so many good things about this book that, in my mind, it was up there with favourites like Lord of Scoundrels or Heartless. Unfortunately, after having read it, I thought it was an ok read but not an outstanding one. In fact, with a title like The Cad, I was expecting a far tougher hero than the one I got.

But there is much to like in The Cad. First we have an original heroine. A lot of heroines have imaginary or common flaws, but this one actually has a scar on her face that makes peo
Tina

Ewan, Viscount Sinclair is in London the on the hunt for his wife. He is a widower and a Rake.

Bridget Cooke is a poor relation who has been passed from family member to family member and has been mainly a glorified, unpaid maid, nurse and now a companion to her beautiful cousin Cecily.

Sinclair and Bridget lock eyes across a crowded ballroom. A happening that is really not a good thing for Bridget because of who she is and because of what he is. But Sinclair is intrigued by her and pur
I enjoyed the first 2/3 of the book, then it got odd and more complicated than it needed to be.
Suzanne
The sexual tension in this regency romance is almost palpable, which was unusual and wonderful. Just about all historical romance novels attempt to portray physical romantic attraction, but few are actually successful. The romance and the sexual attraction is so believable in this novel because of the wonderful dialogue and the characterization of the hero and heroine, particularly Lord Ewen Sinclair. a romantic hero who has it all; naughtiness, wit, determination, humor, and honor. His skillful ...more
Ilze
Aneca's review echoes my thoughts and feelings about this book pretty closely, but I couldn't give it more than 2 stars because the character of the villainess was completely unbelievable. I also found the Gilly character a lot more annoying than likeable, especially in the scene where Gilly rips into Bridget for being Ewen's mistress instead of his wife. Gilly should have really grovelled at the end, but nothing like that happened. The whole build-up to the final scene with the villainess was f ...more
Doreen
A rake marries a scarred women, quickly and without much ceremony. But after a couple of weeks he leaves her in the country while he goes back to London on what he claims is urgent business. Until the last we are not sure whether her faith in him is entirely justified.
Natālija
This book had a very good start, but then it somehow lost its magic & at the end the only thing that kept me going was Ewen's marriage mistery. Another big letdown was that for the big part of the second half of the book Ewen & Bridget were separated, although I really appreciated the fact that Bridget had a faith in her husband and didn't run like I expected her to do.
April
A really great read! Plenty of drama to keep the story interesting. Very well paced and nice narrative. A really sweet story at points and at other parts gut wrenching. Can't wait for more of the series!
LibraryLass
More of a 3.5 than a 4. There were a few moments in the book which were just a tad too sucarylly(?!) sweet and cliched. Other than those moments, though I really enjoyed this light read.
Shanna Bridegan
I found this book to not be my favorite in the series, but I liked that it was so unpredictable. I would say it is definitely mature though, somewhere in between pg-13 and R.
Anne
It was not bad, though the latter part seemed a bit contrived, and I think 100 pages could have been cut out and not lost the heart of the story.
Ana
3.5 stars because I skimmed through the last 1/3 of the book. I liked how it started but was bored with the latter part.
Kiera
Due to the extended separation I ended up skimming the second half of this book.
penelopewanders
First in this series... fun, quick read. Perfect for summer entertainment.
Laura Parkinson
Laura Parkinson marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Lou Anne
Lou Anne marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Sebina~☆~ClassicMaiden
Sebina~☆~ClassicMaiden marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Jennifer Varnadore
Jennifer Varnadore marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Marlenna M.
Marlenna M. is currently reading it
Nov 06, 2014
Julie Croce
Julie Croce marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Sapphire
Sapphire marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Priscilla
Priscilla marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Alyssa Stevens
Alyssa Stevens marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Oct 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Fallen Angel
  • Knave's Wager
  • Emily and the Dark Angel (Lovers and Ladies, #4)
  • Lady with a Black Umbrella
  • The Parfit Knight
  • His Lordship's Mistress
  • A Loyal Companion
  • The Lady's Companion
  • Lord St. Claire's Angel (Lords and Ladies, #1)
  • Once a Gentleman (Ladies' Fashionable Cabinet, #3)
  • After Innocence (Delanza, #2)
  • The Fortune Hunter (Lord Rival, #2)
  • The Portrait
  • Temptation of a Proper Governess (Cameron Sisters, #1)
  • Speak Only Love (Regency Duo, #1)
Edith Layton wrote her first novel when she was ten. She bought a marbleized notebook and set out to write a story that would fit between its covers. Now, an award-winning author with more than thirty novels and numerous novellas to her credit, her criteria have changed. The story has to fit the reader as well as between the covers.

Graduating from Hunter College in New York City with a degree in c
More about Edith Layton...
The Duke's Wager (Bessacarr, #1) To Wed a Stranger (C Series, #6) A Bride for His Convenience The Chance (C Series, #3) To Tempt a Bride (C Series, #7)