Start by marking “Tales of the Hasidim, Vols 1-2” as Want to Read:
Tales of the Hasidim, Vols 1-2

Tales of the Hasidim, Vols 1-2

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  300 ratings  ·  8 reviews
This edition, bringing together Volumes One and Two of Buber's classic work, contains marvelous tales - terse, vigorous, often cryptic - of the Hasidic masters.
Published July 23rd 1991 by Schocken (first published 1930)

To ask other readers questions about Tales of the Hasidim, Vols 1-2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of the Hasidim, Vols 1-2

The Chosen by Chaim PotokThe Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael ChabonThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakMy Name Is Asher Lev by Chaim PotokSophie's Choice by William Styron
Jews in Literature
83rd out of 419 books — 232 voters
Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories by Sholem AleichemThe Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael ChabonThe Slave by Isaac Bashevis SingerShosha by Isaac Bashevis SingerGimpel the Fool and Other Stories by Isaac Bashevis Singer
Yiddish Literature
17th out of 47 books — 29 voters

More lists with this book...

Nick
When I read this book at age 17, it came close to making me want to convert to Judaism, enter a Yeshiva and study Torah all day. My Jew-fandom has since waned considerably, but this is still one of the most romantic, evocative, picturesque, insightful, and downright readable pieces of so-called "religious literature" I know of.
Leka

e miro e contemplo, Tu,
solo Tu,
sempre Tu.
Tony
75. Buber, Martin. TALES OF THE HASIDIM. (1947(?); this ed. 1961). ****. Buber was a Professor of Social Philosophy at the Hebrew University and was descended from an old and famous rabbinical family of Galicia, the province that had been an active center of Hasidism. By his fusion of the world of Jewish piety and European learning, he initiated a Jewish cultural renaissance which has left its mark on succeeding generations of Jewish youth and found a wide resonse in Protestant and Catholic circ ...more
Jeff
Jul 25, 2007 Jeff rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
A Master Scholar this work shares the exuberant and joyous celebration of the Hasidim expression of Judiasm. I learned a great deal I did not know about what lies or did lie at the core of this amazing group. Buber points out that personal celebration of the divine need not be dogmatic or follow "the norm."

With people breaking into dance or song during worship... You may discover powerful and amazing Hebrew words like "Hitlahavut" or the burning ecstasy of God..

Rich spiritual fare that anyone ca
Dennis Ross
I first read Buber's tales for a seminary course and and have returned to this book often over the years. It was an important part of my book, God in Our Relationships: Spirituality between People from the Teachings of Martin Buber. Some of the tales are a challnege to understand, but a good number are gems.
Joel Kleehammer
Martin Buber is an outstanding author, though not always one who is easy to follow. In this book, he retells tales of Hasidim, which are both magical and enlightening at the same time.
Craig J.
Tales of the Hasidim (v. 1-2 i) by Martin Buber (1991)
Brian Oconnor
couldn't actually finish it
Aslı
Aslı marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Molly Sparber
Molly Sparber marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Anxhelo Gjipali
Anxhelo Gjipali marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Salazar
Salazar marked it as to-read
Mark Bolier
Mark Bolier marked it as to-read
Domagoj Čavrak
Domagoj Čavrak marked it as to-read
Ellipticalsaw
Ellipticalsaw marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Tracey Wear
Tracey Wear marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Morris Tamsky
Morris Tamsky is currently reading it
Nov 23, 2014
Atul Chocha
Atul Chocha marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
  • Jewish Meditation: A Practical Guide
  • Lilith's Cave: Jewish Tales of the Supernatural
  • Everyman's Talmud: The Major Teachings of the Rabbinic Sages
  • The Lonely Man of Faith
  • Jewish Literacy: The Most Important Things to Know about the Jewish Religion, Its People, and Its History
Martin Buber was an Austrian-born Jewish philosopher best known for his philosophy of dialogue, a religious existentialism centered on the distinction between the I-Thou relationship and the I-It relationship.

Buber came from a family of observant Jews, but broke with Jewish custom to pursue secular studies in philosophy. In 1902, Buber became the editor of the weekly Die Welt, the central organ of
More about Martin Buber...
I and Thou The Way of Man Good and Evil Between Man and Man The Legend of the Baal-Shem