The Second Perimeter (Joe DeMarco, #2)

The Second Perimeter (Joe DeMarco #2)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  451 ratings  ·  38 reviews
The dazzling sequel to The Inside Ring finds Joe DeMarco, the Speaker of the House’s all-purpose “fixer” in a battle of wits against a lethal female spy.

When the Secretary of the Navy’s nephew says he believes that two colleagues at a U.S. naval base may be committing fraud, his uncle is skeptical. Reluctant to launch an official investigation based on a relative’s vague...more
Published July 18th 2006 by DoubleDay (first published July 1st 2006)

JoAnn/QuAppelle
I have now read all of the Joe DeMarco thrillers by Mike Lawson and cannot wait to read the new one, due out in October.

This one was a page-turner just like all of Lawson's others, and kept me guessing to the end. I love the fast pace that keeps me turning pages late into the night!

Lawson's stories are (mostly) believable and have enough detail so that the reader knows that this is an author who knows what he is writing about. I could do without his slight amount of editorializing, but try not...more
Red Fields
Jul 20, 2009 Red Fields rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys spy -mystery thrillers.
Recommended to Red by: friend at work had it, wife picked up for him, and knowing how I
What I can say so far is, Mike Lawson has taken his main character, "Joe DeMarco" who on Capital Hill is a House of Representatives' "main man who fixes people, things, etc." where Lawson turns him into a hero of sorts. He ends up involved in the spy world where the most lethal, is, of course, a woman.

I've really gotten into this book as my 161 pages was a first sit read. I really like the way Lawson describes his characters and how even though its thorough, to be sure, you get to image things...more
Cheryl Gatling
The second perimeter of the title refers to the protection of classified information. The first perimeter is the physical barriers like fences and badges. The second perimeter is the people who work in the sensitive area, keeping their eyes open for anything that's not right. That's how this book opens. A guy who works at a naval shipyard thinks there is something funny about the new consultants who were hired. He calls his uncle (who just happens to be Speaker of the House) and an investigation...more
Sean Lobban
Versel Rush
I waited a while before doing a review--sometimes my mind changes when everything settles. In this case, it didn't

I liked the book but it was not as good as the first of the Joe DeMarco series.

I don't "do" plot synopsis--you can get that from Amazon or Goodreads or the back of the book.

I still like the characters (Joe as well as the recurring ones). The plotting was good as well. So, why did I give it 3 stars instead of 5?

The book was too inconsistent. There were times that everything churned al...more
Dan Smith
If you have not caught on to Mike Lawson's books.. you should. Wonderful tales of a congressional staffer who works for the Speaker of the House. Joe DeMarco has friends in high places and he uses them only when needed..

Great stories.
Viccy
Joe DeMarco, son of a Mafia hitman and fixer for the Speaker of the House, has been sent my Mahoney, the Speaker out to Bremerton, Washington to check up on a problem. The nephew of the Secretary of the Navy has complained about two guys who appear to be padding the accounts. Joe discovers they are spying for the Chinese and much gunfire ensues. Turns out that Joe's friend, Emma, retired from the DIA was involved in a case 20 years ago that resulted in the death of a young Chinese man. Now that...more
Don Paske
A few twists and turns and likeable characters makes this another good read.
Matt
Lawson writes another great novel, using a great mix of characters, including Joe DeMarco, to bring this political thriller to life.

I enjoyed the underlying themes of the book and it ran ong quite well, at least until the last quarter, where I found that things starte dragging, through a tangential storyline.

I have come to like DeMarco and will keep reading the books, but hope that Lawson injects more thriller and politics into the next in the series.
Pamela Belknap
Mike Lawson has done it again! A real page turner. I read this on my Nook at the gym while on the treadmill...I can honestly say I actually looked forward to going to the gym!

The thing I'm really liking about this series is how they portray the fact that Emma's a lesbian as a non-issue. It's a refreshing change. I also like the fact that Joe is not perfect, but he's still willing to do what's necessary for a case.
Francisco
DeMarco and Emma return to investigate suspicious activity at a naval base in the Pacific NW. "We have to learn to act better then our enemies." There is a deeper truth to Larson's novels then espionage of American secrets to foreign governments.
A 20 year old case comes back to haunt Emma and its good to have DeMarco on your side.
Michele
This is a very entertaining series, with this one being the 2nd book. I enjoy spending time with these characters and want to know more about them. This time, you get to learn a little bit more about Emma's history in the CIA. Sometimes you just want to be entertained and this series so far does the trick.
Dan Downing
Lawson is better know in the Northwest than nationally, a circumstance that could be changed any time one of his books catches a well deserved wave. Well plotted, with a likeable but far from perfect central character, reading his Washington, D.C. based novels always keeps me reading beyond my bedtime.
Bob
Joe Demarco is a fixer who works out of a basement office for the Speaker of the House. He gets called in by the Speaker help the son of a friend and finds himself mixed in an espionage case involving stolen classified information. Not outstanding, but a decent read worth 3 stars.
HBalikov
Joe DeMarco may not grow much as a character in this second book but he is getting around to interesting places and, again, with much at stake. 4 stars reflects the compelling, page-turning way in which Lawson constructs his thriller.

Now on to the next.
Jill
This is the 2nd book in the Joe DeMarco series. Joe is fixer for a Washington DC senator. I have liked all of this series. Makes me wonder if this is how Washington works, which it probably does. Interesting plots with recurring characters.
Julie
I like this book, but I think the author should spend more time developing DeMarco. He's a good protagonist, but there seems to be more about Emma than anyone else. The plot was ok. Altogether, an average book.
Gaile Wakeman
Not such a hot writer but good story. His physical descriptions of the male protagonists began to make me giggle as they were so much the same, without imagination and superfluous to the story.Made want to be an editor.
James Poole
Picked this up as was sucked in by the "if you like Lee Child, you will love Mike Lawson" - sorry fully disagree! Main character is not a touch on Jack Reacher and will not be returning to the author for further reads.
Joe O'c
Very Good; Continuing character: Joe DeMarco; while investigating a complaint regarding possible espionage at a nuclear base, DeMarco and friends come across a much larger plot and a very scary villain
Sandi
Fun thriller featuring a fixer for the speaker of the house. The main character understands his limits and while he gets the job done he never seems like a superman. Audio read by Scott Brick
Don
Well written, engaging, several twists to the plot. This is author's second book and in the spy, thriller category, I suspect he will do well. Sort of like NCIS
Susan
This was a decent story and fairly well told. There several leaps of credibility and a bit of sentiment as plot ploy which always annoys me, but over all, not too bad.
Eric
Another good book from Mike Lawson, although there seems to be a part that got left out at the end of the book. Read it, and tell me if you have the same thought as me.
Yvonne Powderly
I'll probably read another DeMarco novel before dropping the series or not. This book did not make me want to rush out for the next installment.
Steve
book on tape
like joe demarco.
good story.
entertaining!!!!!
Re-listened to it during a 4 day drive to downtown for LNGUAGE ! training. Augu 2010
Buck
Ho Hum! I think the series would be much better with Emma as the main Character! Very weak but still entertaining. Like watching t.v!
Sandy
Easy, entertainment. The second in this series. The author is consistent in his writing without getting yawningly formulaic.
Peg
I enjoy the Joe DeMarco books. He's a likable character and even Mahoney, an old reprobate, is likeable.
James
I liked this book. A page turner to be sure. I like the demarco series a lot. I still have a few to go
  • The President's Assassin (Sean Drummond #5)
  • The Amateurs
  • The Invisible (Ryan Kealey, #3)
  • Twilight (Jenny Cain, #10)
  • The Last Refuge (Dewey Andreas, #3)
  • Fade
  • Cold Choices (Jerry Mitchell, #2)
  • Balance of Power (Jim Dillon, #1)
  • Threat Warning (Jonathan Grave, #3)
  • From the Ashes
  • The Christmas Cookie Killer (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #3)
  • The Viking Funeral (Shane Scully, #2)

Pen name: M.A Lawson

Michael Lawson was raised in Pueblo, Colorado and attended college at Seattle University, receiving a degree in engineering. On leaving college he went to work for the US Navy as a nuclear engineer, spending approximately thirty years working for the Nav...more
More about Mike Lawson...
The Inside Ring (Joe DeMarco, #1) House Rules (Joe DeMarco, #3) House Secrets (Joe DeMarco, #4) House Divided (Joe DeMarco, #6) House Justice (Joe DeMarco, #5)