Rude Tales and Glorious: A Retelling of the Arthurian Tales

Rude Tales and Glorious: A Retelling of the Arthurian Tales

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Preface by Nicholas Seare, Professor Emeritus, The Other Cottage, Bettws-y-Coed, Caenarvonshire, 1967; an Apologia by Davydd ap Seare (Nicholas Seare), Clerke. Line drawings by William Bramhall. Internals fine-unmarked, uncreased, clean and clear pages. Text-block is clean, upper edge is slightly yellowed, rough cut. New York: Clarkson, Potter, Inc., Publishers, 1983 First...more
Published October 27th 1984 by Crown Pub. / Clarkson N. Potter (first published 1983)

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer BradleyThe Once and Future King by T.H. WhiteMary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy by Mary StewartLe Morte d'Arthur by Thomas MaloryThe Winter King by Bernard Cornwell
The Arthurian Legend Retold
307th out of 355 books — 572 voters
Baba Ali and the Clockwork Djinn by Danielle Ackley-McPhailThe Red Rider by Randall Allen DunnThe Sultan of Monte Cristo by Holy Ghost WriterTwilite by Sue KnottThe Arabian Nights by Anonymous
Action & Adventure Retellings
14th out of 24 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Cynthiaj
Since high school one of my favorite authors has been Douglas Adams. It seems satire is what I really like best. And satire with humor is better still. So Nicholas Seare is now in my upper echelon.

I easily gave this book the whole five stars (not even wishing for the ability to give 4 1/2) as it kept me entertained the entire way through. The humor was bawdy and the satire pervasive, but that is evident by the title.

I am going to make my husband read it then loan the book to my sister. I would...more
Michael
This was a chance find in the local library when I was 14 - probably the best age to stumble across it. I'd started reading the Flashman series at the time and was convinced this was the same author. The real author, Rod Whitaker, seems to be a whole story of his own...

It's a bawdy, extremely humorous tale, but there's an intelligence that makes this book one of my all-time favourites. To me, the author's confidence in his own ability with the English language puts him in the same league as Doug...more
Matt
Beyond Hilarious!

If you can read "The Feate of Sir Bohort" aloud to anyone without cracking up, you're not human.

Insane to think that this is also the author known as "Trevanian" who wrote the Eiger Sanction and other suspense novels under that name.
Kathryn McCary
Tales told over a winter's knight by two beggars who seek shelter in a castle in 14th century Wales. The sophomoric emphasis on bawdry considerably detracts from the pleasure one can derive from the author's juggling with the frametale devices.
Stuart
A fantastically bawdy collection of Arthurian tales. I read this ages ago and it still sticks in my mind for such wonderful expressions like: "perfidious lickshit". It's not exactly a classic piece of literature, but it had me roaring with laughter.
Roger Paterson
Laugh out loud hilarious! In my opinion one of the funniest books ever written. It's a terrible shame that it disappeared in a haze of litigation between Whittaker and his publishers.....read it! Especially if you love the english language!
Melody
This crude send-up of the Arthurian legends was funny in an unsophisticated and earthy fashion. It made me laugh more than once, but ultimately it isn't as hilarious as it thinks it is. Too self-conscious by half.
Margot Fallen
Crude, lewd, and yes rude...and even a little glorious. This book is filled with colorful language and even more colorful characters. I was laughing the entire way through.
M
Doubtless hard to find, but so worth it if you can. If the writing doesn't have you peeing in your pants, the illustrations will. Absolutely laugh-out-loud funny!
Myk123
One of the best books I have ever read. Rude, crude and absolutely hilariously lewd... One of the funniest books ever!
JD Carruthers
I really loved this satire. Recommended reading (for adults only).
Beth
Beth added it
Apr 12, 2014
Kimm Culkin
Kimm Culkin marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
Rondin De waal
Rondin De waal marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Marko_cibej
Marko_cibej marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2013
İlhan GÜn
İlhan GÜn is currently reading it
Nov 05, 2013
Meikstr
Meikstr marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2013
Angel
Angel marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2013
Cury
Cury marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2013
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2013
Hope
Hope marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Lesser-used pen name of the author Rodney Whitaker, who primarily wrote under the name Trevanian.
More about Nicholas Seare...
1339 ... or so: Being an apology for a pedlar Rude Tales and Glorious (Panther Books)