Start by marking “Rude Tales and Glorious: A Retelling of the Arthurian Tales” as Want to Read:
Rude Tales and Glorious: A Retelling of the Arthurian Tales

Rude Tales and Glorious: A Retelling of the Arthurian Tales

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  96 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Preface by Nicholas Seare, Professor Emeritus, The Other Cottage, Bettws-y-Coed, Caenarvonshire, 1967; an Apologia by Davydd ap Seare (Nicholas Seare), Clerke. Line drawings by William Bramhall. Internals fine-unmarked, uncreased, clean and clear pages. Text-block is clean, upper edge is slightly yellowed, rough cut. New York: Clarkson, Potter, Inc., Publishers, 1983 First ...more
Published October 27th 1984 by Crown Pub. / Clarkson N. Potter (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Rude Tales and Glorious, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rude Tales and Glorious

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer BradleyThe Once and Future King by T.H. WhiteMary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy by Mary StewartLe Morte d'Arthur by Thomas MaloryThe Winter King by Bernard Cornwell
The Arthurian Legend Retold
392nd out of 440 books — 673 voters
Snow White and Rose Red by Lilly FangTristin and Isolde by Anne KinseyThe Sultan of Monte Cristo by Holy Ghost WriterThe Red Rider by Randall Allen DunnBaba Ali and the Clockwork Djinn by Danielle Ackley-McPhail
Action & Adventure Retellings
15th out of 24 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Cynthiaj
Feb 17, 2011 Cynthiaj rated it it was amazing
Since high school one of my favorite authors has been Douglas Adams. It seems satire is what I really like best. And satire with humor is better still. So Nicholas Seare is now in my upper echelon.

I easily gave this book the whole five stars (not even wishing for the ability to give 4 1/2) as it kept me entertained the entire way through. The humor was bawdy and the satire pervasive, but that is evident by the title.

I am going to make my husband read it then loan the book to my sister. I would
Michael
Nov 02, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing
This was a chance find in the local library when I was 14 - probably the best age to stumble across it. I'd started reading the Flashman series at the time and was convinced this was the same author. The real author, Rod Whitaker, seems to be a whole story of his own...

It's a bawdy, extremely humorous tale, but there's an intelligence that makes this book one of my all-time favourites. To me, the author's confidence in his own ability with the English language puts him in the same league as Doug
Matt
Oct 07, 2008 Matt rated it it was amazing
Beyond Hilarious!

If you can read "The Feate of Sir Bohort" aloud to anyone without cracking up, you're not human.

Insane to think that this is also the author known as "Trevanian" who wrote the Eiger Sanction and other suspense novels under that name.
Kathleen Lawson
Jun 09, 2016 Kathleen Lawson rated it it was amazing
I almost choked myself with laughter reading this book!! It is a retelling of the Arthurian Knights, and it is brilliant, saucy, and ridiculous!!

It is out of print, but available on Amazon, and if you like Douglas Adams, you just might be a fan of this!
Victor
Jul 09, 2016 Victor rated it really liked it
This is a humorous book for anyone who enjoys Monty Python. Also, it is more entertaining for those who have read the tales of Arthur and his Knights.
Cary Cox
Aug 11, 2015 Cary Cox rated it it was amazing
Totally hilarious--bawdy and bold commentary on human nature!
Kathryn McCary
Tales told over a winter's knight by two beggars who seek shelter in a castle in 14th century Wales. The sophomoric emphasis on bawdry considerably detracts from the pleasure one can derive from the author's juggling with the frametale devices.
Stuart
Feb 02, 2010 Stuart rated it it was amazing
A fantastically bawdy collection of Arthurian tales. I read this ages ago and it still sticks in my mind for such wonderful expressions like: "perfidious lickshit". It's not exactly a classic piece of literature, but it had me roaring with laughter.
Roger Paterson
Jul 18, 2013 Roger Paterson rated it it was amazing
Laugh out loud hilarious! In my opinion one of the funniest books ever written. It's a terrible shame that it disappeared in a haze of litigation between Whittaker and his publishers.....read it! Especially if you love the english language!
Melody
Jun 04, 2009 Melody rated it it was ok
This crude send-up of the Arthurian legends was funny in an unsophisticated and earthy fashion. It made me laugh more than once, but ultimately it isn't as hilarious as it thinks it is. Too self-conscious by half.
Margot Fallen
Oct 26, 2011 Margot Fallen rated it it was amazing
Crude, lewd, and yes rude...and even a little glorious. This book is filled with colorful language and even more colorful characters. I was laughing the entire way through.
M
Sep 19, 2008 M rated it it was amazing
Doubtless hard to find, but so worth it if you can. If the writing doesn't have you peeing in your pants, the illustrations will. Absolutely laugh-out-loud funny!
Myk123
Dec 14, 2013 Myk123 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have ever read. Rude, crude and absolutely hilariously lewd... One of the funniest books ever!
JD Carruthers
Oct 21, 2008 JD Carruthers rated it really liked it
I really loved this satire. Recommended reading (for adults only).
Greg D'Agostino
Feb 03, 2015 Greg D'Agostino rated it it was amazing
Fantastic.
Leigh
Nov 25, 2009 Leigh rated it it was amazing
Great fun
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Bill Ramsell
Bill Ramsell rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2016
Margaret Moore
Margaret Moore marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Scarlett
Scarlett marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Erdem Emin Akçay
Erdem Emin Akçay rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Ellie
Ellie rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2016
Marcin
Marcin marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Elif
Elif added it
May 17, 2016
Duncan MacLeod
Duncan MacLeod rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2016
Lula
Lula marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Errrrrrick
Errrrrrick marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Chris Waghorn
Chris Waghorn rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Lesser-used pen name of the author Rodney Whitaker, who primarily wrote under the name Trevanian.
More about Nicholas Seare...