Start by marking “The Gilded Cage” as Want to Read:
The Gilded Cage

The Gilded Cage (Marshall Webb and Rebecca Davies #2)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Published August 1st 2003 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about The Gilded Cage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gilded Cage

Jill Hutchinson
This little book has perfectly melded history and mystery into a great read. Set in New York City in the last decade of the 19th century it has all the elements of the time......Tammany Hall, the financial panic of that decade, Mrs. Astor's 400, and kept women. How can you top that? The author captures to perfection the ambiance of the Gilded Age and then throws in a murder for good measure. The story is well researched and the protagonists are clearly drawn. A very entertaining book for the his ...more
grundoon
3.5 As has always been the case, Soos' obsession with the period makes for fun and informational reading. I enjoyed the story here, yet the ending felt lazy, and the need to tie resolution of many concurrent issues to a single set of protagonists just plain silly - a simple fact-based epilogue, outside the scope of the character storyline, would much better serve the purpose.
Maren
There was a lot of interesting historical details in the book, and several intricate plot lines to follow, but I kept waiting for something exciting and suspenseful to happen, since this is a mystery. It was really boring, and the way it all turned out was somewhat predictable, and all the story's loose ends were pulled together in literally a page and a half.
Michael
I enjoyed Troy Soos' characterizations og the late 19th century. Soos has an inate ability to transport the reader to the period with excellent research and writing skills. I believe I could research as well, however Soos has the ability to create the era with clear precise words. Bravo.
Cindy
For some reason I am picking up these Irish into Americ books that overlap in history and in real characters. Perhaps it's because I'm an Irish decendent......I love the details of New york and Ireland at the turn of the century.
I read this mystery novel set in the Gilded Age and it was OK. Wouldn't use it as a supplement to an entry-level American history class or nothin', but it's clear someone was paying attention during that lecture.
Heidi
Really fast read, mystery.
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Jeanette
Jeanette marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Pg
Pg marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
Brad
Brad marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
Carrie Giannakos
Carrie Giannakos marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2013
Maria Tracey
Maria Tracey marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2013
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2013
Barry
Barry added it
Aug 11, 2013
Chris
Chris added it
Jul 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Troy Soos is a writer and teacher based in Winter Park, Florida. Soos is best known for his "Mickey Rawlings" series of historical baseball novels (seven books set from 1912 to 1923). He also authored a four-book historical mystery series set in 1890s New York featuring Marshall Webb and Rebecca Davies. Soos has written a nonfiction history of early New England baseball history, "Before the Curse, ...more
More about Troy Soos...

Marshall Webb and Rebecca Davies (4 books)
  • Island Of Tears
  • Burning Bridges
  • Streets of Fire
Murder at Fenway Park Murder At Wrigley Field Murder At Ebbets Field Hunting A Detroit Tiger Hanging Curve