Start by marking “Free the Animals” as Want to Read:
Free the Animals

Free the Animals

This is the true story of how the animal liberation underground started in the US. Every character - including each of the wonderful animals you will come to know - is real flesh and blood. Because the federal government retains an abiding interest in locking up anyone involved in illegally removing animals from those who legally exploit them, it has convened grand juries ...more
Published October 1st 2000 by Lantern Books (first published July 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Free the Animals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Free the Animals

Peacegal
Apr 09, 2011 Peacegal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
Free the Animals is a highly unique book in the animal rights canon, and it is one of my favorites. I’ve read it any number of times, but I have never failed to find it gripping.

This is the true story of “Valerie,” the woman who founded the original American Animal Liberation Front, and the architect behind the group’s most daring liberations and exposes in the late 1970s and early 1980s. This was the era when the ALF was known for rescuing animals, rather than starting fires and building homem
Andrew
Dec 03, 2008 Andrew rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Animal lovers, rascals
Recommended to Andrew by: Kevin
First of all, if you hate PETA, or dislike the idea of Animal Rights and/or Animal Liberation, of course you won't like this book. This book is written by Ingrid Newkirk of PETA fame, which is going to turn a lot of people away or bias them. Personally I really enjoyed this book. It tells the story behind the formation of the U.S. ALF, and it's alternately heartbreaking and thrilling. The raids are described very well, it's almost like a scene from 'Mission Impossible', but instead of a computer ...more
Brittany
Mar 07, 2011 Brittany rated it it was amazing
This is absolutely one of the best books I've read about animal rights activism. While I may not always agree with the actions of ALF, I don't think anyone can argue that their presence is unnecessary. I only wish I could be more helpful when it comes to animal activism. I do believe that some animal research is needed in order to find cures for major diseases, I also believe that there should be more regulations enacted. Animals deserve a degree of comfort and love. Every sentient being has fee ...more
Rob Haas
Jan 30, 2008 Rob Haas rated it it was amazing
Poses a really great ethical dilema for anyone who supports animal testing or the eating of meat.

If you can write off those "crazy vegetarians" without a second thought then this book might be what you've been looking for.

definitly worth a trip down to your local library for this one.
Tifinie
May 07, 2012 Tifinie rated it really liked it
this book is good if you are into animals rights. it tells you stories of how people who work for peta broke in labs to save animals from being killed. its a good book to read.
Rita O'Connell
Mar 26, 2012 Rita O'Connell rated it it was amazing
I wish everyone read this. They might think twice before buying some of the products that represent a torturous existence and painful and prolonged death for animals.
holly
Apr 19, 2008 holly rated it it was amazing
This is thee book to read for an honest look at the hoffic abuse of animals in labs. It is written in novel form as non-fiction, so it is an easy read.
Julie
Mar 20, 2008 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
a book about radical animal rights activists who break the law in order to free animals. it really interested me in my youth.
Kit
Aug 16, 2007 Kit rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in AR
This book is so great! It gives a detailed history of the origins of the ALF in the United States. It's hard to put down.
Shawn
Aug 01, 2008 Shawn rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The history of people fighting to free animals from horrible conditions.
Michelle
Sep 07, 2008 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aminals
Ninjas vs. Nazi scientists. Ninjas win.
Nez
Jul 30, 2011 Nez rated it it was amazing
Also one of my favourite books!
Jane Garrison
Mar 05, 2012 Jane Garrison rated it it was amazing
Loved this book!
Gina
Sep 12, 2014 Gina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animal-rights
Great history of the Animal Liberation Front's (ALF) beginnings in North America. For well-researched pro-animal readers like myself, there is less space devoted to the philosophy of ALF and (what I find difficult to read) descriptions of the sickening conditions under which "lab animals" are kept and, instead, much more information about the planning and execution of direct actions themselves. While it is told in the style of a story, rather than a recitation of facts, it is quite clearly inten ...more
Kelly
Oct 14, 2013 Kelly rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
An Easy & Enjoyable Read, But Not Much Substance

As an animal rights advocate, I have mixed feelings about both ALF and PETA. While I understand why some people resort to direct action, I'm unsure as to whether it actually hurts the movement in the long run.

Having said that, I found this book to be inspirational, but overall rather bland. "Free the Animals" reads like a novel, but one aimed at adolescents. It's a bit long, but goes quickly, as its writing style is rather juvenile. The story i
Chris Michael Burns
May 21, 2016 Chris Michael Burns rated it it was amazing
No book I've ever read has made my heart race so much. The stories are invaluable, the key players are inspiring, and Newkirk is good to remind us of the positive outcomes of animal raids. There is still so much work to do, which was a daunting moment when I finished the book.

I have read many animal rights books, and I often look at my library and ponder which book I would choose as a good introduction to an animal rights neophyte -- I think this is the one.

I wish I could thank ALF members in p
Frank Stangel jr
Jun 03, 2014 Frank Stangel jr rated it it was amazing
best book ever. I can't recommend this enough.
April Twist
Oct 29, 2015 April Twist rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic read about a part of the animal liberation front!
Elizabeth  Vasquez
Mar 07, 2008 Elizabeth Vasquez rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Domestic Terrorism Analysts
Written by the president of People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA). Activism transcends to 'justified' criminal acts. Criminal activity elevated to earning the FBI's Domestic Terrorism status. Disgusting and interesting details of inhumane treatments and training techniques for activists.
Ryan Mishap
Sep 07, 2008 Ryan Mishap rated it really liked it
I'm not a fan of PETA, but this a great book detailing the first ALF cell in the U.S.--started by an ex-cop! Inspiring and horrifying, and "Valerie" never got caught! (did she?)
Joshgutier
Jun 27, 2013 Joshgutier rated it it was amazing
What an amazing read. Truly powerful and well wrote. A must read!!
Brian
Oct 20, 2007 Brian rated it it was amazing
This book inspires. It is a tale of courage, commitment, and compassion. A must read for all who care about the rights of animals.
Miranda Honfleur
Miranda Honfleur rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2016
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Dua
Dua marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Cat
Cat marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
  • Striking at the Roots: A Practical Guide to Animal Activism
  • Terrorists or Freedom Fighters?: Reflections on the Liberation of Animals
  • The Case for Animal Rights
  • Strategic Action for Animals: A Handbook on Strategic Movement Building, Organizing, and Activism for Animal Liberation
  • The Animal Activist's Handbook: Maximizing Our Positive Impact in Today's World
  • Rain Without Thunder: The Ideology of the Animal Rights Movement
  • Making A Killing: The Political Economy of Animal Rights
  • For the Love of Animals: The Rise of the Animal Protection Movement
  • We Animals
  • Committed: A Rabble-Rouser's Memoir
  • Slaughterhouse: The Shocking Story of Greed, Neglect, And Inhumane Treatment Inside the U.S. Meat Industry