Start by marking “Out of This World” as Want to Read:
Out of This World

Out of This World

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  550 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Three weeks ago Rachel Bond inherited a bed-and-breakfast. Too bad that it's in a remote part of Alaska, staffed by a house chef who can't cook and a guide who can't read a map. There's something distinctly strange going on...and that's not counting the fact that Rachel just got hit by lightning, and her good friend Kellan is suddenly possessed with animalistic sexiness sh ...more
Published September 1st 2006 by Brava (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Out of This World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of This World

The Royal Treatment by MaryJanice DavidsonEntertaining Angels by Monica MillardManhunt by Janet EvanovichShe Went All the Way by Meg CabotBaby It's Cold Outside by Addison Fox
Alaskan Romance
22nd out of 34 books — 9 voters
Hooked by Tiffinie HelmerEdge by Tiffinie HelmerMoosed Up by Tiffinie HelmerBearing All by Tiffinie HelmerNorthern Lights by Nora Roberts
Best Contemporary Romance Set in Alaska
29th out of 34 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

I have no idea where this book was supposed to go but it was... bad. Really bad. If I hadn't been reading Shalvis' Wilder books at the same time as this, I probably would never have picked up another one of her books.

Basically the story left some loose ends dangling, it barely made sense and the main characters were not in any way charming or likable. It's a shame because overall I really like Shalvis' writing. She's usually funny and can keep a tight plot line. If this was my first intro to he
Bet Lantaff
3.5 Stars

This was a really good book for a story that I couldn't figure out. Every time I thought I knew the next turn, I didn't. And then the pirates showed up, which really threw me for a loop. But it all worked out in the end and a pretty good story came out of it. The pros of the book were the comedic scenes, the fleshed out secondary characters and the chemistry between Rachel and Kellan. The cons: the way the story jumped from Rachel's POV to Kellan's POV. I can't say exactly what it was a
Lexie
Prelim Review: This was okay. I didn't enjoy it as much as Get a Clue or Shalvis' Lucky Harbor books, but this was decent. I suppose like Kellan I had trouble thinking that Rachel would have become lovesick over him if not for the special abilities they both receive. Other than a bit of minor moments beforehand she didn't seem all that concerned with the idea.

Full review to be posted at Poisoned Rationality
Melanie
Very cute, very funny, nerdy hero who's been in love with the heroine for years.. All of a sudden, add in psychic abilities that allow her to see through his clothes (I wouldn't mind that ability, lol!) and a mystery surrounding her Alaskan B&B, and voilà!, you have a very sweet and funny romance:-)
Jessi
Wow. If a book could have multiple personalities, this book would. It flips from a regular romance with some paranormal touches and then suddenly turns into an action/adventure series... with pirates.
I read this book because I adore Jill Shalvis. Some of her earlier work can be uneven though.
Rachel Bond, LA artist, likes her life. When her great-aunt leaves her a B&B in Alaska, Rache'ls not sure what to do with it. Since her best friend can't come with her, Rachel brings the next best perso
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
What an odd book. It starts as a contemporary romance with a very unlikable heroine. Then things get a bit weird with super powers and alternate realities. Far from my favorite Jill Shalvis. Low three high two stars and that's it.
Caffenero
There's a first time for everything, also a two star for a JJ book :-/ I really couldn't get into this girls-scout-mint-chocolate-cookies induced bad dream :-S
Kate Dirty Girls' Good Books
One of the things I love about my library is it's romance section. Four shoulder-height racks that rotate. The part I like best is that they are only loosely alphabetized. Meaning all the "M"s are together, but not necessarily in order. It might seem like a strange thing to appreciate, but I love stumbling across a favorite author's book I haven't heard of before. That's how I found this quirky Shalvis read.

Rachel inherits a Bed & Breakfast in Alaska from her aunt. She takes her good friend
Eva
It starts out great. The author has a wonderful way of expressing details, creating vivid, verbal pictures, really tight, good writing. After the first two pages, I was hooked.
Then it went all weird. Suddenly, in what began as an adventure featuring a young, urban artist on her first trip to the backwoods of Alaska to view the B&B she'd just inherited, there were aliens and superpowers and pirates. And pages and pages of torrid sex scenes. And pages and pages about cookies, hungering for th
Allie
I am definitely a bigger fan of the Lucky Harbor Series. This book was ok... the plot was definitely out there and I felt a bit in the dark most of the time (like the main characters) but I tend to get frustrated with that in books! Just me personally, I like to know what's happening! Decent story, some good steamy parts, but not my favorite from Jill Shalvis.
Iris Blobel

Trust Jill Shalvis to make me read a paranormal story. LOL.

AND enjoy it!

Okay, in all fairness, it's not much of a story. Rachel, a muralist (I had to google that one!) in LA, inherits a B & B in the wilderness of Alaska. Kellan, her friend's brother who is also secretly in love with her, accompanies her. Two beautiful characters, it was fun to follow their story.

Then it gets all weird and I found myself reading, not understanding the plot at all, but laughing at the jokes, dialogues
Sara
Based on the cover blurb, I couldn't figure out the title on this one. Once I started reading, it became clearer. It was a weird little story about an LA painter who inherited a B&B in the wilds of Alaska and ends up going to visit it with her best friend's brother. While on the trip, the two start to fall in love, are struck by lightning, suddenly possess super powers and evil pirates try to steal these powers. It was a bit much to take, but worked out OK in the end.
Cordelia
This book hooked me in the beginning, even though I spent a lot of time thinking, "How many people have distant relatives who leave them businesses in remote areas that they have to take over Or Else?" Then, about 1/3 of the way through, I spent the rest of the book thinking, "What the hell is going on and why is this so ridiculous?" I occasionally liked the characters, but the vaguely supernatural We Have Superpowers Now plotline was just... stupid.
Morgan
This one was hard to read. So many twists and turns, it got confusing and muddled at times. Also, a bit of an issue with the setting and how things really work in the Alaskan Bush. Love Jill Shalvis books in general, just not this one.

Oh, and as for the cover, penguins don't live in Alaska, or near the North Pole. They belong at the other end of the world, the South Pole. Someone at the publisher's should know that.
Jan
I erroneously thought the premise of this book would make for a side-splitting, hilarious, tears-down-the-cheeks read. The main character is a mural artist from LA who was bequeathed a B&B in the wilds of Alaska which she goes to visit with her best friend's older brother. Could be funny, right??? For me, the book fell flat right after the lightening hit which is virtually ten minutes after they got out of the plane.
Elaine
OK, this is really a 3.5 to me, but since I enjoyed this funny, cute story so much more than a recent creepy read, it's getting 4 stars.

This story is a best friends to lover trope, with a somewhat wacky, paranormal plot.

The good: a unique plot, humorous, cute
The bad: odd character traits never explained, some holes in the story

I enjoyed this light tale, with is HEA. I hope you do too!
Christina Crone
I had just grabbed this book at the library and I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. Most books normally get to the "I can put it down" phasw towards the end...this one took it from Chapter 1. I wanted to call out for work so I could just sit at home and read.

Perfect mix of mystery, paranomarl, romance, humor....GREAT BOOK. I will definitely be reading more of Jill Shalvis!
Colleen
This book is definitely different, it's sort of a hokey, comical paranormal type story. It's definitely nothing to take serious and if you are in the mood for a quick, light-hearted type book with a sweet romance, give this one a shot. I will admit the book started out much stronger, but it started to get old about 3/4 the way through - hence why I only gave it 3 stars.
Carey LaBella
Odd book. Funny but a little confusing
Nancy
heh. well, it's quite an explicit "romance". which for some reason i didn't expect. not exactly a problem, but it uses a completely unnecessary and awkward superhero storyline to push the two people together and it's not all that well written. i thought the premise of inheriting a remote B&B had potential on its own... my expectations were too high i guess.
Janet Beck
Just no....thought it was a typical contemporary romance, fish-out-of-water experience. The potential romance was getting very hot, and then a very strange supernatural element was thrown in..ruined it for me.

I got this book from the libary, have no idea if that is typical for the author, but the cover/blurb do not indicate the style.

Melissa
Funny, quirky, and fast paced crazy romance. Rachel is a LA girl but once she's left a B&B in the outskirts of Alaska she and her bestfriend's brother Kel they go up to take a look at the place. Things are weird and worse Rachel gets struck my lightning and then her brain and hormones go crazy.
Mariah
Nothing on the cover of this book gave me a clue that there would be supernatural goings-on. I spent the first half of the book trying to think of rational explanations for the events. Character development stopped short - there weren't that many characters and all of them were flat.
Cursingmama
My attempt to dip my toe in the paranormal/sci-fi contemporary novel pond. A fun, fast moving story surrounding a not your normal run of the mill bed & breakfast in Alaska - with super powers, heightened sexual awareness, and pirates you never know what is going to happen next.
Beth
Bri
2.5 stars. This started out great, with funny banter and cute characters. But by mid-point, it was a confusing, drawn out story. It also needed a better editor as several times the first person got screwed up - very confusing. Not her best work, that's for sure.
Joan
I couldn't finish this one. I will often just continue on through a book until it's finished; but I just couldn't do it with this one. The h gave me a headache reading about her whining! The H was so nice and I so wanted him to slap her.
Tressa
The dialogue and situations in Out of This World were funny, but I wasn't fond of the plot. I found it confusing. Even so, I was intrigued by Jill Shalvis' writing style and plan on reading another one of her books.
Dee Haddrill
Well, I never expected this story to go where it did, and it was a little weird but I still loved it. No one writes funny dialogue, wonderful characters, sweet romance and hot sex like Jill Shalvis! A wonderful story.
Armelle
I'm not a big fan of the paranormal stuff, but I still liked Jill's style enough to enjoy reading Out of this World. It won't go on my "favorites" shelf, though. And what's with the penguin on the cover??
  • Mating Season (Children of Nanook, #1)
  • To All A Good Night
  • Mother, Please!
  • Handsome Bastard (Ancient Blood, #1)
  • Complicated
  • The Last Princess (Pack Seduction, #3)
  • Heat Rises
  • Bad Boys Southern Style
  • Men of Courage I (Men of Courage, #1)
  • Able-Bodied (Harlequin Blaze #451) (Uniformly Hot!, #2)
  • Five Ways 'til Sunday (Delta Heat, #1)
  • Wild Wild Widow
  • Mating Fever
  • The Chosen (The Legend Chronicles, #3)
  • More Than Words, Volume 7: Compassion Can't Wait\Someplace Like Home\What the Heart Wants
  • Special Force
  • Reaper's Justice (WesternWind #7.5)
  • Better Naughty Than Nice: No Mistletoe Required\Her Secret Santa\Snug in His Bed (Harlequin Blaze, #507)

Look for Jill's latest, ONE IN A MILLION, on shelves and e-readers now, and get all her bestselling, award-winning books wherever romances are sold.

Visit Jill's website fo
More about Jill Shalvis...
Simply Irresistible (Lucky Harbor, #1) Head Over Heels (Lucky Harbor, #3) The Sweetest Thing (Lucky Harbor, #2) Lucky in Love (Lucky Harbor, #4) Forever and a Day (Lucky Harbor, #6)