Pennsylvania Dutch Night Before Christmas Coloring Book

Pennsylvania Dutch Night Before Christmas Coloring Book

4.5 of 5 stars 4.50  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Children will enjoy coloring the pictures while reading this retelling of the Christmas classic by Clement C. Moore, which blends Santa Claus with the traditional Pennsylvania Dutch figure of the Belsnickel, a thin, cantankerous old man who visits children before Christmas and rewards or punishes them based on their behavior.

Book Details: Format: Paperback Publication Date...more
Published August 31st 2002 by Pelican Publishing (first published May 28th 2000)

Kelly
I read this to my nieces on a winter season - what a riot!
not only is it a hilarious take on the famous poem 'Twas the Night Before Christmas', but also a very fun tongue twister to read out loud - especially when near and dear to Pennsylvania dutch culture.

So, "It vas night before Christmas, und all over the farm, Nothing vas schusslich... zee moo-ers vere so dopplich and slow and the Belsnickel vas gristlich and dressed all in black... and if you been bad instead of been sveet... he'll varm yo...more
Eden
Another retelling of the classic poem 'Twas The Night Before Christmas, but this one having to do with the customs and culture of the Pennsylvania Dutch.

It is quite a fun and unique read. We meet the Belsnickel and his cows that pull his plow. Definitely a fun book for Christmas and it explains a bit about the Belsnickel and the customs in the back of the book.
I have read this out loud a couple times to my family. It totally cracks us up! It is made easier to read aloud by spelling the words phonetically, the way a person with a PA Dutch/German accent would pronounce things. There are also a few PA Dutch words that are defined on the page and some history on the last page. A wonderful book!
Bree
Notes:
quirky and funny -- makes me think of Dwight from The Office
not sure kids would really appreciate the humor of this though
really wish I had this on audiobook :-)
Jobiska (Cindy)
Aw, a cute version that covers several PA Dutch customs without descending into doggerel. Have someone who can get the accent right read it to you!
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
April Hollinger
April Hollinger marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2013
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2013
Chet Williamson
Apr 08, 2013 Chet Williamson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Lisa
Lisa added it
Feb 25, 2013
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2013
Karla
Karla marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2013
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2012
Danica Midlil
Danica Midlil marked it as to-read
Mary Beckman
Mary Beckman marked it as to-read
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Rashad Hall
Rashad Hall marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2012
Mordenheim (Ravenloft, #9) Murder in Cormyr (Forgotten Realms: Mysteries, #1) The Crow: Clash by Night The Crow: City of Angels Second Chance