Start by marking “The Fireman's Fair” as Want to Read:

The Fireman's Fair

In the aftermath of the storm of the century, Rob Wyatt, a thirty-two-year-old Charleston bachelor, finds himself assessing his life as well as his property damage. Life changes culminate at the annual Volunteer Fire Department Fair, as Rob's past and future collide in what could either be catastrophe or salvation.
Published April 1st 1992 by Penguin Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Fireman's Fair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fireman's Fair

Angie
Dec 18, 2016 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This took me back!

Having experienced Hurricane Hugo first hand, I was excited to read that this story begins with the approach of that storm. The aftermath was described so accurately, I had to often remind myself that I was reading fiction. This story was very real, the characters even more so. A wonderful Charleston Tale, blended beautifully with love, heartache and regret. I hate that it's over!
Agatha Donkar
Jul 14, 2007 Agatha Donkar rated it really liked it
Sharp, sad, hopeful portrait of a man who mopes around and screws up his life because he can't have what he wants, until he figures out that it's not at all what wants. Excellent writing, lovely portrait of Charleston, SC, good lightweight beach read.
Kim Whitley-Gaynor
Jun 30, 2012 Kim Whitley-Gaynor rated it really liked it
One of my favorite fiction books. Great writing. Wonderful little quotable nuggets that you will re-read again and again … and savor. The only reason I'm not giving it 5 stars is because it's been years since I've read it and I don't remember the story. Need to re-read.
Steve
Apr 01, 2011 Steve rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Overall, an enjoyable novel of relationships set in Charleston in the wake of the hurricane. (Clearly, it doesn't take too much probing to uncover the symbolic properties of the hurricane!) The characters are sympathetic and believable for the most part: Rob is an understandable force of middle-aged insecurity, and it is hard for the reader not to fall in love with Billie. The actions of the characters, however, often seem stiff, staged and even melodramatic. (For example, Maude's comment to Jac ...more
Amy
I picked this up at a local book fair. I'd forgotten how much I like reading Josephine Humphreys. She can capture my beloved lowcountry and color it with rich and authentic characters. She got the essence of the storm spot on, too.

FROM THE PUBLISHER
In the aftermath of the storm of the century, Rob Wyatt, a thirty—two—year—old Charleston bachelor, finds himself assessing his life as well as his property damage. Life changes culminate at the annual Volunteer Fire Department Fair, as Rob's past and
Julie Barrett
Sep 25, 2015 Julie Barrett rated it liked it
The Fireman's Fair
Rob Wyatt is redoing his life, moved and taking things slower and realizing just what is important in his life.
Ex lawyer and Hurricane Hugo has gone through Charleston, moves to the beach bungalow.
Family and girlfriend relationships and out of work but trying to keep it all together as he helps others out that complicate other relationships.
Barb
Jul 23, 2012 Barb rated it really liked it
I recently re-read this. The author is from Charleston and describes the area in such a way that you feel like you are there--and in a way that presents an almost intimate backdrop for the lives of the characters. Basically a story about a man having an (early) mid-life crisis while those around him are dealing with their own life crisis--how he deals with his own life and that of others, and how the characters are intertwined is always a draw for me, and Humphreys does it so well.
Felix
Apr 04, 2010 Felix rated it really liked it
In the wake of Hurricane Hugo, a thirtyish young man finds himself adrift, uninterested in the law career he has chosen, and embarks on a time of self-examination, i.e., doing very little. Events lead him back into life. Good characters, well-written.
Marge Prohofsky
Dec 06, 2010 Marge Prohofsky rated it did not like it
This is a really slow read for me. The main character is a bit pathetic and depressing right away, so I hope to stick with him and see if life changes...
nope...i'm done. Can't continue...
Mary Baggett

Beautifully written character study. Moves rather slowly.
Becky Snow
This Southern novel takes place near Charleston, SC. Best description of being in a hurricane and the aftermath I remember reading.
Charles M.
Story about a man who leaves law profession, seeking new love, etc. Found story line weak and confusing, but there were some enjoyable moments to all this.
Laura McGregor
Jan 21, 2016 Laura McGregor rated it liked it
Don't recall much about this, but if Josephine Humphries wrote it, it must be good!
Katie
Dec 21, 2008 Katie rated it liked it
funny story of a man puzzling the meaning of love and friendship--great lines about men and dogs
Pam
Apr 09, 2012 Pam rated it it was ok
I was very surprised that I couldn't really get into this book. I have liked all of the other books I have read by this author.
Stephanie Williams
Apr 17, 2008 Stephanie Williams rated it it was ok
Wasn't as good as Rich in Love and I think suffered from having a male main character as he seemed a little flat.
Caryn
Jul 09, 2009 Caryn rated it liked it
It's a short book, but it took too long to get to the story.
Chas
Mar 20, 2008 Chas rated it really liked it
A really good low country read.
Robin
Jan 31, 2010 Robin rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable story on relinquishing ties to one's past relationship and understanding how new relationships can help with that freedom.
Ellen Johnson
Jul 02, 2012 Ellen Johnson rated it liked it
Shelves: novel
Theme is dear to my heart: why don't people just say WTF they mean? I am more impatient with insecure characters than I used to be.
Bill Davis
Bill Davis rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2011
Bookish Kate
Bookish Kate rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2013
Kristen
Kristen rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2010
Maureen
Maureen rated it it was ok
Oct 28, 2009
Theresa Prime
Theresa Prime rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2017
Jasmin
Jasmin rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2015
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2013
Laurie
Laurie rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2009
FrancesC
FrancesC rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2012
Virginia Sloan
Virginia Sloan rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2014
  • Playing with Fire
  • Red Clay, Blue Cadillac: Stories of Twelve Southern Women
  • Come and Go, Molly Snow
  • South Carolina: A History
  • Hearts Afire (The Flanagans, #5)
  • Falling for the Fireman (Gordon Falls, #1)
  • The firefighter and the girl from the coffee shop (Coffee Shop Girls, #5)
  • The Hot Line
  • His Holiday Family
  • Turtle Summer: A Journal for My Daughter
  • I Cannot Get You Close Enough: Three Novellas
  • Love in a Dry Season
  • A Kiss for Luck
  • Blaze
Josephine Humphreys (born February 2, 1945) is an American novelist.

(from Wikipedia)
More about Josephine Humphreys...

“When people say they are happy for you it may mean they are sad for themselves.” 14 likes
“Like most good looking women, she was never sure of her beauty, and had to keep checking on it, to make sure it was still there.” 12 likes