Start by marking “The Surgeon (Canadian Mounties, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Surgeon (Canadian Mounties, #2)

The Surgeon (Canadian Mounties #2)

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  116 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews

A wife shouldn't be a surprise package.

But Mountie surgeon John Calloway suddenly found himself saddled with a special delivery he hadn't signed for--mail-order bride Sarah O'Neill. He had no room in his life for marriage! But why then did he feel compelled to protect Sarah from all things dark and dangerous--including her own unspoken past?

If John Calloway didn't want her

Published December 1st 2003 by Harlequin Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Surgeon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Surgeon

Ana T.
Jun 10, 2008 Ana T. rated it liked it
Inspired by a true incident... Alberta, 1889. Intending to play a harmless prank, a troop of Mountie officers order their stern commander, Chief Surgeon John Calloway, a mail-order bride. Sarah O'Neill travels two thousand miles across the continent only to discover the man she thought she was corresponding with and the new life she was looking forward to is all a hoax.

Another marriage of convenience story this one starts with a mail order bride gone wrong. Meaning the mail order bride was conta
Susan
Oct 08, 2009 Susan added it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I got over halfway through this book before I gave up. I really enjoy the author's writing (as a matter of fact, just ordered her latest from Harlequin) but this story just didn't do it.

All was OK until the Big Misunderstanding. I mean, Sarah couldn't bring herself to tell John about her brother because she's not sure she can trust him, yet she has hot sex with him??? After that I just didn't care.

I sincerely hope the next Kate Bridges book I read will be better, or I should say, have a better
Judith
Aug 01, 2010 Judith rated it liked it
There was one thing that John Calloway didn't need - a mail order bride! That was exactly what he found waiting for him in his quarters one night, though, and he was completely shocked at the "joke" that had been played upon them both. Although he was fast approaching 40 and had always longed for a family of his own, he was dedicated to serving as a doctor in the Mounties regiment. He valiantly tried to save the lives of his fellow soldiers and the locals, but he couldn't get over the fact that ...more
Shelley
Aug 13, 2007 Shelley rated it really liked it
I can't quite believe I'm adding this. LOL It came up when I was looking for frontier stories, and I couldn't resist. He's a Mountie! So I basically went through the book picturing Paul Gross at every turn - but with Geoffrey Tennant hair. *g* Hard to turn your nose up at that.

Oh, and the plot was strong and the characters actually grew and evolved and were quite interesting in their own right. I was pleasantly surprised on that front. I didn't even cringe once while reading it.
Jessie
May 21, 2012 Jessie rated it did not like it
The first story in this series was ok, but I was disappointed in this book. None of the characters acted in character...or even as if they were from the right CENTURY. Will give this series one more chance based on book one...
Aug 21, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
I enjoyed this novel. It was a nice simple read. I'm enjoying Kate Bridges' work & plan to read more of her books. I'm usually not a fan of western romance novels, but so far I'm enjoying these.
Sandra
Dec 12, 2012 Sandra rated it really liked it
I really liked this one. H/H were great. Predictable romance story but I didn't worry about that, it was just what I wanted.
Amy
May 12, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
Historical Romance -- Mounties/Alaska
Brookelyn Thyne
Brookelyn Thyne marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Fiona
Fiona rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Woodenpoet
Woodenpoet marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Christine Simmons
Christine Simmons rated it it was ok
Jun 23, 2016
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Gayle
Gayle rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Lia
Lia marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Yvonne
Yvonne marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Mathilda Koppel Eriksson
Mathilda Koppel Eriksson marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Emily Mullen
Emily Mullen marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Karen
Karen added it
Jan 18, 2016
C Heisler
C Heisler marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Vancy
Vancy added it
Dec 29, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Melissa Wandel
Melissa Wandel marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
  • Mail-Order Marriages: Rocky Mountain Wedding\Married in Missouri\Her Alaskan Groom (Alaska, #3)
  • Shotgun Wedding
  • The Perfect Wife
  • Joe's Wife
  • The Borrowed Bride (Seavers Brides, #1)
  • After the Kiss (Captive Hearts,#2)
  • Come Spring (Storm Family, #3)
  • The Surgeon's Lady (Channel Fleet, #2)
  • The Gunslinger's Untamed Bride (Bride, #2)
  • Redemption
  • The Bride Wore Spurs (Inconvenient Brides, #1)
  • Harper's Bride
  • In Bed With Her Italian Boss
  • The Sergeant's Lady (The Arringtons and Wright-Gordons, #2)
  • Violets in the Snow (Dukes Trilogy, #1)
  • Nightrose (Wyoming Frontier, #2)
  • Kidnapped: His Innocent Mistress
USA TODAY bestselling and award winning author Kate Bridges writes romance and YA fiction. For research, she loves to travel to such faraway places as the Yukon, the Rocky Mountains, and London, England. With over one million books sold worldwide, she’s been honored with Reviewers’ Choice awards, Top Picks on reader websites, and listed as Recommended Reading on national library lists. Prior to be ...more
More about Kate Bridges...

Canadian Mounties (5 books)
  • The Engagement (Canadian Mounties, #3)
  • The Proposition (Canadian Mounties, #4) (Reid Brothers Trilogy, #1)
  • The Bachelor (Reid Brothers' Trilogy, #2) (Canadian Mounties, #5)
  • The Commander (Reid Brothers' Trilogy, #3) (Canadian Mounties, #7)