The Surgeon (Canadian Mounties, #2)

The Surgeon (Canadian Mounties #2)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  8 reviews

A wife shouldn't be a surprise package.

But Mountie surgeon John Calloway suddenly found himself saddled with a special delivery he hadn't signed for--mail-order bride Sarah O'Neill. He had no room in his life for marriage! But why then did he feel compelled to protect Sarah from all things dark and dangerous--including her own unspoken past?

If John Calloway didn't want her

Published December 1st 2003 by Harlequin (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Surgeon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Surgeon

Ana T.
Inspired by a true incident... Alberta, 1889. Intending to play a harmless prank, a troop of Mountie officers order their stern commander, Chief Surgeon John Calloway, a mail-order bride. Sarah O'Neill travels two thousand miles across the continent only to discover the man she thought she was corresponding with and the new life she was looking forward to is all a hoax.´

Another marriage of convenience story this one starts with a mail order bride gone wrong. Meaning the mail order bride was cont...more
Susan
Oct 08, 2009 Susan added it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I got over halfway through this book before I gave up. I really enjoy the author's writing (as a matter of fact, just ordered her latest from Harlequin) but this story just didn't do it.

All was OK until the Big Misunderstanding. I mean, Sarah couldn't bring herself to tell John about her brother because she's not sure she can trust him, yet she has hot sex with him??? After that I just didn't care.

I sincerely hope the next Kate Bridges book I read will be better, or I should say, have a better...more
Judith
There was one thing that John Calloway didn't need - a mail order bride! That was exactly what he found waiting for him in his quarters one night, though, and he was completely shocked at the "joke" that had been played upon them both. Although he was fast approaching 40 and had always longed for a family of his own, he was dedicated to serving as a doctor in the Mounties regiment. He valiantly tried to save the lives of his fellow soldiers and the locals, but he couldn't get over the fact that...more
Shelley
I can't quite believe I'm adding this. LOL It came up when I was looking for frontier stories, and I couldn't resist. He's a Mountie! So I basically went through the book picturing Paul Gross at every turn - but with Geoffrey Tennant hair. *g* Hard to turn your nose up at that.

Oh, and the plot was strong and the characters actually grew and evolved and were quite interesting in their own right. I was pleasantly surprised on that front. I didn't even cringe once while reading it.
Jessie
The first story in this series was ok, but I was disappointed in this book. None of the characters acted in character...or even as if they were from the right CENTURY. Will give this series one more chance based on book one...
I enjoyed this novel. It was a nice simple read. I'm enjoying Kate Bridges' work & plan to read more of her books. I'm usually not a fan of western romance novels, but so far I'm enjoying these.
Sandra
I really liked this one. H/H were great. Predictable romance story but I didn't worry about that, it was just what I wanted.
Amy
Cary
Cary added it
Jun 29, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Juliecaylor
Juliecaylor marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Cassidy Naples
Cassidy Naples marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Melanieaz
Melanieaz marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Award-winning and bestselling author Kate Bridges has over twenty historical romance novels published. Prior to becoming a full-time writer, Kate worked in the medical field. Later she studied architecture and design, which led her to a job as a researcher and writer for a TV design show.

Kate's books have been honored with several awards and distinctions. These include the USA TODAY Bestseller Lis...more
More about Kate Bridges...
Alaska Bride On the Run (Alaska, #4) Klondike Fever (Klondike Gold Rush, #3) The Engagement (Canadian Mounties, #3) Rancher Wants a Wife (Mail-Order Weddings, #1) Klondike Wedding (Klondike Gold Rush #2)