Start by marking “Sämtliche Werke, 3 Bde., Ln, Bd.2, Don Juan” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Sämtliche Werke, 3 Bde...

George Gordon Byron

Sämtliche Werke, 3 Bde., Ln, Bd.2, Don Juan

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,987 Ratings  ·  156 Reviews
Byron's exuberant masterpiece tells of the adventures of Don Juan, beginning with his illicit love affair at the age of sixteen in his native Spain and his subsequent exile to Italy. Following a dramatic shipwreck, his exploits take him to Greece, where he is sold as a slave, and to Russia, where he becomes a favorite of the Empress Catherine who sends him on to England. W ...more
Published July 1st 1996 by Artemis & Winkler (first published 1819)

To ask other readers questions about Sämtliche Werke, 3 Bde., Ln, Bd.2, Don Juan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sämtliche Werke, 3 Bde., Ln, Bd.2, Don Juan

Yann

Le Don Juan de Lord Byron (1788-1824), est un poème satirique et pamphlétaire de dix-sept chants, dans lequel il brosse une satire mordante, cynique et bachique de l’état de l’Europe post-Napoléonienne de son temps. Pour servir de fil à cet exposé, l’auteur prend pour prétexte les pérégrinations involontaires et mésaventureuses d’un Don Juan de pacotille, velléitaire, naïf, totalement à l’opposé de son modèle, et qu’il promène de naufrages en enlèvements d’Espagne vers la Grèce, la Turquie, la R
Manny
Byron's famous verse-novel is kind of uneven, but when he's on form it's both moving and witty. My favorite sequences are near the beginning, when the beautiful Donna Julia has fallen in love with young Juan and is having qualms of conscience. First she decides that she can no longer continue to see him, but then she reconsiders. After all, that would be selfish of her! It's just a question of keeping her feelings under control, and she could help him so much:
He might be taught, by love and her
Cemre
Keşke Lord Byron bu roman-şiirini (?) bitirebilseymiş ve biz de okuyabilseymişiz. Kitap, bizlerin Casanova ile aynı olduğunu düşündüğü Don Juan'ın Lord Byron tarafından anlatılan hayat hikâyesi üzerine kurulu. Yalnız Casanova denince akla gelen o "çapkın" imajından daha farklı bir Don Juan okuyoruz. Herhalde toplumda "çapkın" olarak yer etmesinin nedeni farklı zamanlarda da olsa birden fazla sevgilisinin olması ve biraz hızlı bir şekilde "yeniden âşık olabilme kapasitesi". Don Juan'ın sadece gön ...more
Tracey
Mar 29, 2014 Tracey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone on earth
Recommended to Tracey by: Stumbled upon this gem
Don Juan is a somewhat-scathing, exceedingly witty, epic social commentary that was told by a revolutionary mind with great skill and reverence for the crafting of words. In Lord Byron's cantos of this poem, I see "social networking" centuries before its time with Byron's 'asides' about his contemporaries. And his protagonist, young unfortunate Don Jewan, is tossed about haphazardly from country to country by the strangest events, narrating a dissection of every society he comes upon... which, u ...more
Alan
May 02, 2015 Alan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Byron has been my favorite Romantic poet--as he was during the Romantic period--since I have been able to read with ease (say, since grad school).
His "English Bard and Scotch Reviewers" sets the standard for English Satire since Jonson and Dryden. It is very funny at the expense of an intellectual elite much less doubtful than ours today. We need another Byron.
His "Don Juan" is without equal in English literature; maybe Ariosto's similar in Italian, though I think Byron more witty, finally.
Byron
Francisca
Apr 17, 2016 Francisca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*4,5*

Hail, Muse! et cetera

Not only that verse is brilliant, but it also defines exactly the type of poem Don Juan is. Irreverent, self-aware, and able to capture that strange balance between ridiculousness and social relevance. In other words, Don Juan was more enjoyable than I had expected from this type of tale.

But, still, when one tries to talk of this poem, it is rather difficult to take it as a whole and just analyse and discuss the entirety of the poem. I do not think that that is ve
Draven
Feb 22, 2012 Draven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't be afraid. This book only looks intimidating. It's actually one of the most hilarious and comically sharp books I've ever read. Byron was a genuis, poet status notwithstanding. Poetry has little to do with it actually, with all that is awesome about Don Juan!
Allison
Mar 30, 2009 Allison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
What can you say about Byron? He's insane, he's brilliant, he's a romantic and so much more. Don Juan is a classic twisted with English humor and the puns are abounding. My favorite, favorite lines are:

"Thou shalt believe in Milton, Dryden, Pope;
Thou shalt not set up Wordsworth, Coleridge, Southey;
Because the first is crazed beyond all hope,
The second drunk, the third so quaint and mouthy" I.CCV

In 80,000 lines of rhyming verse he attacks cant, politics, and the Lakers (18th c poets, NOT the bas
Kinda Hamwi
Dec 22, 2012 Kinda Hamwi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:

LOVED IT! One of the funniest poems ever, Byron makes fun of an ordinary well known character who is Don Juan by making him the Byronic Hero who is rather acted on than act, always sees and got effected by the result of the action.
Don Juan is the modern day hero; he is surviving everything he's going through...

Griselda
Mar 18, 2015 Griselda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A rattling good tale, but only Byron could contrive rhymes such as:

'She snatched it, and refused another morsel,
Saying, he had gorged enough to make a horse ill.'

Well, Wordsworth probably could too.

Both evidently had too much time on their hands.
Marios
Jan 20, 2013 Marios rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I dont know why, I have no clue
How one day this idea grew:
Byron's works I've had read zero
And that's a shame, I'm greek-and he's our hero!

I went to bookstores for his poems but in vain!
Apart from letters and biographies there was no gain.
It was then, when desperation was ample
When i saw it: Don Juan in kindle sample.

Language was my fear, if I would get it right
But what the hell I said, i ll try it!
And lo: some words were old, pain in the ass
Not even on the dictionairy alas!

Its style too I could
Thomas Skabar
Sep 08, 2009 Thomas Skabar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, so witty and so hilarious. I suppose 'cheeky' would be the best term to describe this epic poem. Byron is a favourite of mine, and to me, this is an unparalleled piece of literature. It amazes me how Byron can simultaneously be charming and irreverent in this satire of the infamous ladykiller of the same name. Byron actually flips the script on his hero (whose name is to be pronounced 'jew-an' in this work). Instead of being the romantic conquistador of legend, this Juan is actually the one ...more
Daniel Pecheur
"Man's love is of his life a thing apart, 'Tis woman's whole existence. Man may range the court, camp, church, the vessel, and the mart; sword, gown, gain, glory offer in exchange pride, fame, ambition to fill up his heart, and few there are whom these cannot estrange. Man has all these resources, we but one, to mourn alone the love which has undone." (Canto I, Stanza 194)

"There still are many rainbows in your sky, but mine have vanished. All, when life is new, commence with feelings warm and pr
Adriana Vb
Jan 12, 2011 Adriana Vb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Reading Lord Byron’s poetry is never dull, reading Don Juan is a delighting way to pass your evening. From the very first stanzas the reader will be giggling and keeping a smile that will only be eclipsed at knowing the extent of the poem, for Byron himself joked about long poems “... When poets say, I’ve written fifty rhymes,/ They make you dread that they’ll recite them too.” (Don Juan, Lord Byron, Canto I, 108) Then, knowing that only Canto I (out of XVII cantos) has 222 stanzas... the reader
Matt
Dec 28, 2007 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, poetry
I've been reading this book for over a year and finally finished it over this break. I was often entertained, often a little bored, and at times astonished by some great poetry. Byron himself points out the flaw with his work:
"Let us ramble on. / I meant to make this poem very short, / But now I can't tell where it may not run. / No doubt if I had wished to pay my court / To critics or to hail the setting sun / Of tyranny of all kinds, my concision / Were more, but I was born for opposition."

So,
Abeer
wonderful, both modern and archaic, both elements of romanticism and realism. Very beautifully written and exceeded my expectations.
Jennifer (a.k.a The Book Nympho)
#listening for school. I only have to read Cantos I & II but I'm enjoying it enough that I may listen to all 12 at some point.
Grace Mc Gowan
Jun 14, 2015 Grace Mc Gowan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cantos 1-11 5*s
Cantos 12-17 3*s
David Robbins
Feb 24, 2014 David Robbins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Poetry is not as much in vogue these days. More's the pity. Many still read Byron, but when you consider that 'Byromania', as it was called, once swept all of Britain and much of Europe and the Mediterranean countries, it's evident how far his popularity has fallen. Which is even more of a pity.
Byron's poetry is exquisite, and much of it is as topical today as when he penned the words to paper. This excerpt from the first stanza of CANTO THE FIRST sets the tone for the entire work:

"I would to he
Jake
Jul 24, 2009 Jake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I’ve enjoyed two incarnations of Don Juan. This is the second I tried. The first is Mozart’s operatic version. Perhaps no artist came to the subject material more qualified than Lord Byron.

Lord Byron’s version is the Paradise Lost or Odyssey of Don Juan treatments. It is epic, filled with humor, passion, drama, melodrama, and action. By the end, Byron’s even gotten a ghost in the mix. But is it a real ghost? You’ll have to read to find out.

I’m a big fan of Lord Byron. His poems, even the schma
Adam Floridia
I imagined Don Juan (the character) to be an amoral lethario, but I was quite wrong. The situations that he finds himself in are varied and entertaining, and the narrator, who often throws in his own two cents, is hilarious. Plus, I'm always impressed by an epic poem written in a set structure (for example, the ottava rima as opposed to traditional blank verse).

I started this during my intense GRE Lit test prep. I read about half, loved it, but put it aside to study other works. Now, six months
Sepideh Tafazzoli
Love is vanity/ Selfish in its beginning as its end/ Except where 'tis a mere insanity. - Cantos IX, Don Juan

Tis strange – but true; for truth is always strange; Stranger than fiction. - Cantos XIV, Don Juan
Deanna McFadden
Jul 21, 2014 Deanna McFadden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read so much Byron in university that revisiting it over the last few weeks reminded me just how good this epic poem is... I don't think I can sum up in the short GoodReads way why I love Byron so much, whether it's the romanticism that appeals to me, or his ability to abandon the story completely to take off on a tangent that has him analyzing the current cultural climate within which he was writing. Whether it's how his education itself impacted his poetry, or the sheer beauty of some of the ...more
pedro
Jun 05, 2015 pedro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
love
Ivan Guerra
Mar 18, 2014 Ivan Guerra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
¿Qué experiencia puede haber en la vida que se parezca a la de leer el Don Juan de Byron? Supongo que muchas, pero ninguna costaría menos de 100 mil pesos. Es un libro extraordinario. La historia en sí es bastante amena, pero lo que resalta es la voz narrativa que apenas comienza a narrar y ya va en la quinta digresión, todas digresiones muy divertidas, escandalosas o perspicaces. Es evidente que Byron era un genio poético con una capacidad asombrosa para las rimas sofisticadas y de hecho, hace ...more
Jul 28, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, english-lit
'Tis sweet to win, no matter how, one's
laurels,
By blood or ink; 'tis sweet to put and end
To strife; 'tis sometimes sweet to have our
quarrels,
Particularly with a tiresome friend:
Sweet is old wine in bottles, ale in barrels;
Dear is the helpless creature we defend
Against the world; and dear is the schoolboy
spot
We ne'er forget, though there we are forgot.
- Canto I CXXVI

I have generally been taking it slow with Byron, as I find him to be just a tad more difficult to read in comparison to the likes o
Jack Casey
I thought it was a decent book, but I also found it a little bit more of a challenge to read.

After almost two-hundered years after Don Juan was written, George Gordon Byron's narrative still deserves the approbation from modern literature, and modern writers that it once had. Don Juan tells of poetry, romance, the struggles of slavery, the aggressive attitudes of colonial Spain, the glowing art of his poems continues to excersize the malnourished appeal for readers and writers alike. Even the yo
Jessica
Jul 27, 2007 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Why, yes, as a matter of fact, I have read the whole thing... even the insufferable Turkish cantos. It just gets better and better. My favorite are the English cantos at the end, of course, but the whole thing is absolutely stunning.

The real question is... had Byron finished it, how do you think it would end?
Francesca
Jan 02, 2016 Francesca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding. Complete, sincere (careful with that word when dealing with Byron), amusing, exciting, epic, engaging, charming. Unsurprisingly sexist and racist. All the elements a work part of the British Canon must contain. It was great fun reading this. Thanks Byron.
Masha
Mar 21, 2016 Masha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uni-reads
Byron is a cool guy. He spent approx 7-8 years on this book and then kinda died and didn't finish. The funny thing, he wrote 16 cantos (and 14 lines of 17th) and in canto 12 he says smth like "Well I'm just getting started" but alas the guy didn't finish it.
Having read Moliere's Don Juan, I found Byron's interpretation of him, well, very different. He turns the guy who seduces every women he sees into a sort of innocent baby whom the ladies can't leave alone.
My favourite moments include: Byron
Just Literature: 'Marriage is born form wine, like vinegar from love' 1 3 Jul 31, 2014 03:02AM
  • Prometheus Unbound
  • Samson Agonistes
  • The Faerie Queene
  • Li Po and Tu Fu: Poems
  • Poems and Ballads & Atalanta in Calydon
George Gordon Byron (aka Lord Byron), later Noel, 6th Baron Byron of Rochdale FRS was a British poet and a leading figure in Romanticism. Amongst Byron's best-known works are the brief poems She Walks in Beauty, When We Two Parted, and So, we'll go no more a roving, in addition to the narrative poems Childe Harold's Pilgrimage and Don Juan. He is regarded as one of the greatest British poets and r ...more
More about George Gordon Byron...

“All who joy would win
Must share it -- Happiness was born a twin.”
610 likes
“Tis strange,-but true; for truth is always strange;
Stranger than fiction: if it could be told,
How much would novels gain by the exchange!
How differently the world would men behold!”
116 likes