Start by marking “Rockville Pike: A Suburban Comedy of Manners” as Want to Read:
Rockville Pike: A Suburban Comedy of Manners

Rockville Pike: A Suburban Comedy of Manners

2.83 of 5 stars 2.83  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Jane Kramer never imagined a life selling discount furniture and commuting between grocery stores and soccer fields via minivan. But when her father-in-law has a heart attack, she and her husband, Leon, trade in their glamorous New York life for a stint running the family business on Rockville Pike, a tributary of the suburban sprawl line extending outward from Washington, ...more
Published December 21st 2004 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Rockville Pike, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rockville Pike

I thought this was going to suck terribly, but I needed some light fluff after Watchmen. I was pleasantly surprised; the book was pretty entertaining and not as vapid as I expected. Coll does a good job capturing the ennui, conformity, and excess consumption of the suburbs. I can't say I'd recommend this book, but neither did I consider it a waste of time.
Edith
Written by a local author about the furniture business her family had on Rockville Pike, a thoroughfare I have driven in Rockville, MD countless times. Read this awhile back so memory is a bit fuzzy, but I recall this being a "novel" although it reads just like a memoir. The author is feisty and it was an interesting read.
Jessica
Sometimes, you pick up a book expecting just a light read, something to do between the Great Works of Literature you've been meaning to get around to, and you get to be pleasantly surprised by the fact that the book you've just picked up is one of the best (recent written) ones that you've read in a long time. I had the pleasure of having that experience with "Rockville Pike".

"Rockville Pike" was a great novel. It was funny, it was touching, and moreover, the author had obviously put a great de
Laurie
I thoroughly enjoyed reading Rockville Pike, more so than Coll's other "regional" novel "Acceptance" which deals with high schoolers' applying to college in our suburban MD competitive culture. This novel follows a 40 something wife and mother who is dealing with a struggling marriage, a failing business, and a Goth teenager. What I could identify with as a 40 something wife and mother in the same suburban region was her humorous observations of others in this area and her simmlutaneous lack of ...more
Meg - A Bookish Affair
Jane is stuck in a dead-end marriage and a dead-end job working at her father in law's outdated furniture shop on busy Rockville Pike in Montgomery County, Maryland. Jane seeks solace at the nearby grave of F. Scott Fitzgerald.

I picked this book up mostly because:
1. It's by a local author
2. I used to live very close to the real Rockville Pike

Eh, I just couldn't get that excited about this book. It meanders a lot and doesn't seem to go anywhere. I wish Jane would have shook things up a little bi
Deanne
A bit weird really. I enjoyed this book and I HAD to keep reading to see how it would end. It was a bit depressing and I felt sorry for the "Jane" but I liked the adventure she went on. Some interesting points about wanting to live a different life than the one you are living at the moment. It was a good read.
Jessica Bukowinski
Another quick read (that seems to be my forte lately), but I felt an actual sense of inertia while the book was in my hand. The author seems to have created a character whose midlife depression and suburban angst is catching. I appreciated the literary references throughout.
Barb
I was interested to see where the story would go, but overall, it wasn't an enjoyable book. I didn't find the main character particularly sympathetic, though I did understand her motivations. I just didn't like her. And the ending was wrapped up a bit too neatly.
Jeanne
Jan 15, 2009 Jeanne added it
I sat down and read this book in two days, but it was a task. Some parts were enjoyeable ...but there was something about this book that made it more work then it should have been to read. Not sure if it was a storyline issue or a style issue.
Nikki
A book about my hood! Loved reading the references to Rockville, MD, etc. but overall a complete snore. I did grow to like the main character ... Even though she was quite pathetic!
Melissa
Had higher hopes for this book, I just didn't like the main character at all, never warmed up to her. There are some cute parts, but overall it's not that good.
Rowena
I think Coll hits this out of the ballpark. You just gotta love a book that references "fa'afafine" (Samoan trannies)!
Shannon
It was ok, but I wonder if I would have had less patience for it if it had not taken place in Rockville.
Sarah M
An entertaining read, it was nice to see local landmarks mentioned. Acceptance is better, though.
Cyndee
Supposed to be a comedy of manners--it was more of a sad commentary on a marriage.
Joanna
Couldn't get past the first 50 pages. I want to be entertained, not depressed.
Missy
Loved this quick and funny read.
Kelly
not good, do not waste your time.
Gmccs
Gmccs marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Catherine Fore
Catherine Fore marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Lyn
Lyn is currently reading it
Mar 03, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Kerry Parker
Kerry Parker marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Susan Coll is the author of the The Stager and the novels Beach Week, Acceptance, Rockville Pike, and karlmarx.com. A television adaptation of Acceptance, starring Joan Cusack, aired in 2009. Coll is the Events & Programs Director at Politics & Prose Bookstore in Washington, DC.
More about Susan Coll...
Acceptance The Stager Beach Week: A Novel Karlmarx.com: A Love Story The Stager: A Novel