The Good, the True and the Beautiful: A Quest for Meaning

The Good, the True and the Beautiful: A Quest for Meaning

2.17 of 5 stars 2.17  ·  rating details  ·  6 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Why should we be good? How do we know what is true? What defines beauty? The Good, the True and the Beautiful asks critical questions about who we are and what makes life worthwhile.

Michael Boylan offers a stimulating introduction to philosophy, exploring issues to do with ethics, knowledge and aesthetics, and how they relate to our everyday lives. He proposes a highly or...more
Published August 1st 2008 by Bloomsbury Academic

Kathryn Bashaar
Perhaps true, but neither good nor beautiful. I thought this this book was very poorly written and made the philosophical concepts the author was trying to introduce LESS clear instead of MORE. I did not finish this book.
Mitchell26 McLaughlin
I couldn't make it out of the first three chapters of this work. It's way too technical and stuffy, amounting to not much. Further, a work on "meaning" without any reference at all to Frankl seems bereft of meaning itself.
Abby
Jul 05, 2009 Abby is currently reading it
A useful overview of philosophical thinking on these three topics. Plus actual logical proofs, and some self-examination exercises.
Mary Johnson
Mary Johnson marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Tyler Murray
Tyler Murray marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
Cherese Lanae
Cherese Lanae is currently reading it
Jul 09, 2013
Daker
Daker marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2013
Lee Michael
Lee Michael is currently reading it
Sep 05, 2011
Nghia
Nghia marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2011
Judie68
Judie68 marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2009
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2009
Kohl Gill
Kohl Gill marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2009
Bryan
Bryan marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2009
Basic Ethics (2nd Edition) The Extinction of Desire: A Tale of Enlightenment Critical Inquiry: The Process of Argument The Extinction of Desire: A Tale of Enlightenment Hafez: Dance of Life