Start by marking “The Invitation (The Books of Magic, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Invitation (The Books of Magic, #1)

The Invitation (The Books of Magic Novels #1)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  312 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The Barnes & Noble Review

When four mysterious men -- John Constantine, Mister E, Dr. Occult, and The Stranger -- approach Timothy Hunter with a magical offer, the boy accepts but isn't sure what he's gotten himself into. Soon, with an owl created from his yo-yo, Tim is whisked to the beginning of time with John Constantine, lands in modern-day San Francisco (and into a
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Invitation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Invitation

Federiken Masters
Sep 28, 2010 Federiken Masters rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gaimanistas, nenes y magistas.
Recommended to Federiken by: Val.
Aceptable adaptación novelada de la miniserie de comic escrita por Neil Gaiman y dibujada por verdaderos talentos del noveno arte. Claro que todo lo que aporta los espectaculares dibujos en el comic no lo llega a verse compensado literariamente con la eficiente pero lineal prosa de Jablonski. También quita puntos que no aparezcan varios de los personajes del Universo DC que estaban originalmente en el comic (por problemas de derechos, supongo) y que se infantilicen un par de escenas para no alte ...more
Aelvana
Thirteen-year-old Tim is out one day on his skateboard when four strangers in trenchcoats come up to him and ask if he believes in magic. Tim agrees to a tour, of sorts, that takes him from the beginning of the world to its end, from the slums of London to the clubs of California to the court of Faerie. But Tim's not alone on this tour: he's got a much stronger magic than he knows, and even if he doesn't know who he is yet, others do.

This book is the first of the series, and reads like an introd
Tatra
The first time I read this book I really didn't have any idea about the world of comics. The characters were just characters that appear in the course of a book and they were all just as fresh to me as Tim Hunter was. That was several years ago and I've learned just a little bit more about the word of comics. Not a whole lot, but enough that I recognize some of these names. I also find it fun that I can now see Neil Gaiman in these books, where I don't think I saw him before.

Beyond that, I liked
Karen Field
This story was apparently a novelised version of a former comic written by Neil Gaiman. I’ve never read (or even heard of) the comic so whether it does it justice or not, I have no idea.

I’ve also read other reviews on this book, which say this book is very Harry Potterish. In my opinion, the two books are totally different. I never once thought of Harry Potter whilst reading this book. Yes, there’s a young, dark-haired boy in both books, but that’s were the resemblance ends.

But I did think of o
Anthony
I wanted to love this. I really did. I am a huge Tim Hunter fan from when the original BoM mini-series was released by DC/Vertigo back in 1989, and I've followed most every iteration of the character since then. I love Harry Potter, but Tim will always be closer to my heart because I met him first. Somehow, this series of paperback adaptations of the Neil Gaiman, and then John Ney Rieber, comics made it past me when they originally came out. I tripped across this one in a used bookstore. I was e ...more
Juan M
En este primer libro se nos presenta al protagonista de la saga, un niño inglés, Tim Hunter, que no gusta de su vida, pero no sabe que el destino le dará una sorpresa: él podría llegar a ser un mago muy poderoso. (Sin duda muchos buscarán semejanzas con el joven Harry Potter, ya desde ver las portadas, pero se sorprenderán al saber que los cómics fueron escritos varios años antes que Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone).
Y es así que se nos presenta la Magia en el mundo actual, actuando siempr
Jessica N.
So apparently this book originally was published as a comic book written by Neil Gaiman, then recently got "literized" and was written as a novel. I didn't realize this was the case until I read the forward. I picked up this one on a whim because I was in the mood for something a bit creepy and Gaiman definitely can deliver that. And as I started in on the book, I could totally see how this book would have made a good comic book. All of the characters would be visually appealing.
The story was a
Brittney Bower
was not able to finish this book. was even able to read the 50% mark before I lost all interest in it abd the series.
Sapphire Pyro
This novel didn’t feel like an adventure, but more of a tour. Tim was just dragged to random places by several strangers. He gets excited on the sightseeing, exhausted on the travels, and gets into trouble when he’s separated from his tour guide.

~ Longer version
Heather
Jan 08, 2008 Heather rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any fan of the Potter books
These parallel the Potter books in a major way. The differences are enough that it is a very good book, though. It's a very quick read and only takes about two hours to read this book through.
Kika
No keď už to bolo na motívy komixu Neila Gaimana mohlo to byť aj lepšie. Čakala som fakt viac, nevedela som sa dočkať konca. Ako bolo to fajn, ale čítanie ďalších častí si ešte rozmyslím.
Dan4th
Novelization of the comic, which I've never read. I'm assuming it didn't translate well, because I'm a huge fan of Gaiman, and didn't like it at all.
Hanna
Wow! best stuff ever. very Harry Potter like, then again Neil and Rowling are both from England. Maybe Great writing comes naturally there.
Jie Hao
So amazing! Why can't meet people like that in real life? Where did the magic go to now aday?
Brittany Perry
read it so long ago. I loved the vocabulary used in this book. I really need to re-order them
Athena
Loved it want read rest of series
raquel
raquel added it
Nov 17, 2014
Ray Marchalleck
Ray Marchalleck marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Lainey Trahan
Lainey Trahan marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Louise Otting
Louise Otting marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
  • The Wizard's Castle (Circle of Magic # 5)
  • The Mystery of Lord Sha (Book of the Stars, #2)
  • The Books of Magic, Volume 3: Reckonings
  • A Marca de Kushiel (Kushiel, #2)
  • O Guerreiro-Lobo (A Saga das Pedras Mágicas, #2)
  • crépuscule des dieux, Le (Amos Daragon, #3)
  • Switchers (Switchers, #1)
  • Summerkin (Winterling, #2)
  • Sea of Sorrows (Guild Wars, #3)
  • The Testing (Third Soul, #1)
  • A Filha dos Mundos (O Ceptro de Aerzis, #1)
Carla Jablonski is the author and editor of dozens of best-selling books for teenage and middle-grade readers. She grew up in New York City, where she attended public schools and the Bronx High School of Science. She has a BA in anthropology from Vassar College and an MA from NYU's Gallatin School, an interdisciplinary program for which she combined playwriting, the history of gender issues in 19t ...more
More about Carla Jablonski...
The Travelers (Pendragon: Before the War, #1) Resistance (Resistance, #1) The Gypsy Enchantment (Charmed, #7) Shadow of the Sphinx (Charmed, #16) Thicker Than Water