Alone In My King's Harem

Alone In My King's Harem

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  11 reviews
In the title story, a concubine falls head over heels for his king. But what happens when the king's ambitions blind him to that love? In another story, troubled circus acrobat Hibana finds comfort in the arms of another circus performer. But there's more twists to the story than Hibana's flips through the air. In the next story, a loving servant of a prince lets himself b...more
Published November 1st 2005 by Digital Manga Publishing

Cat
Lily Hoshino does some of the best work in BL manga I believe not because her artwork is perfect or her stories are complex and long but simply because she renders the emotion and theme/message of her stories together so well.

This is a collection of short stories with a common theme which seems to be somewhat fantasy/fairy tale like. Each story surrounds a separate pair who have different challenges to being together. The whimsical and fantastical places and backgrounds to these stories make it...more
Nicole Bunge
This collection is confusing as all heck. There are some manga that you just wonder "huh? was there something lost in translation or did they misprint the pages?" and at first, I thought that was what was going on here.
But no. It's just BAD WRITING.
It's like the author was selfish and desperate to get to the good part, she just skipped any linear story construction. The characters (especially the uke) aren't introduced, their motivations are taken for granted, and things just seem to happen rand...more
I think the first time I read this collection, I was unduly harsh on it but after a few years, my attitude towards it has taken a complete turn-around. It's a wonderful collection of BL short stories with some rather gorgeous artwork and nice fluffy endings that will make any heart feel lighter. My favorite story is probably the title story with Hanabishi; it managed to break my heart and then mend it again in the span of so many pages. I'm so glad I gave this Hoshino collection another try!
Kadie D♥
A small collection of a few short strories. I liked the art but the stories were too short for me to like them. The genre says boyslove but I didn't really saw anything that made me think of it as yaoi. The ukes were exactly like girls unless a flatter chest and the other characters calling them him or he.
The manga is drawn quite pretty and I would like to read more stories from this artist but they will need to have a better plot and romance.
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
I liked this one. It's made up of a variety of stories ranging from fairytales to contemporary to fantasy. My only regret was that the stories seemed to end right when they were just getting very interesting. Still, I loved the art and I did enjoy the shorts.
Chibineko
I've had this book for a while and recently re-read it. I absolutely love this manga. Hoshino has a real flair for storytelling and artwork. I could literally read and re-read this manga until it's in tatters.
Anne Lee
Love the art and the ultra-feminine ukes, but the individual stories themselves are nothing to write home about. Still, a fun read, and worth picking up if you like the art style.
Kuronekko
MY ABSOLUTE FAV RIGHT NOOOOOOOOOOW! Lily Hoshino i LUUUUV YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!! (((-(>x<)-)))
Whispering_kage
I was a bit put off by how girly the ukes were but over all it was cute.
^_^,
Lia
Aug 01, 2007 Lia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: library
Mmm, pretty! Lyrical shorts with much beauty and imagination! I want more!
Smalvina
good but sad
Faliha Gilani
Faliha Gilani marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Ran Lee hee
Ran Lee hee marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Fayann Morgan Malone
Fayann Morgan Malone marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Sarina
Sarina marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Amy ~Lover of Books~
Amy ~Lover of Books~ marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Koskinen Sari
Koskinen Sari marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
  • Passion, Volume 01
  • Innocent Bird, Volume 1
  • Love Mode Vol. 2 (Love Mode, #2)
  • Yellow, Volume 04