Start by marking “Thirty Days: On Retreat with the Exercises of St. Ignatius” as Want to Read:
Thirty Days: On Retreat with the Exercises of St. Ignatius

Thirty Days: On Retreat with the Exercises of St. Ignatius

From the day Paul Mariani arrives at Eastern Point Retreat House to take part in the five-hundred-year-old Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius, he realizes that his expectations and assumptions about who he is, what he knows, and what he believes are about to change radically. In this profound memoir Mariani blends a brief life of St. Ignatius and meditations on the life o ...more
Published January 28th 2003 by Penguin Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Thirty Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thirty Days

Jill
Jun 13, 2012 Jill rated it it was amazing
I'm approaching the end of the book that, at cursory glance, wondered if it was worth reading. I've found that I can barely put it down and trying to discern what it is that draws me. "Deep calling onto deep," -- that quest for the deeper meaning. The author describes the natural world in such beautiful terms,(much like my fondness for Whitman's Specimen days), but it is really the slog of days, hour by hour, that compels, as I follow his reflections on the Gospels. I would be fascinated to know ...more
Erin Garlock
Oct 10, 2014 Erin Garlock rated it liked it
Having gone through Ignatias' exercises, I has hoping for a new perspective or some nugget of illumination. What I found was a book perhaps useful for some new to the exercises. There was a lot of rambling about the local scenery and coversations that had no tie back to matters of faith. I would label this book a memoir with a some amout of religion thrown in.

I also found the writing to be overly slick and eloquent. Normally I would consider this a quality, but in this case, it is a detriment a
Steve
Aug 10, 2016 Steve rated it liked it
I read this book because I expect, we Protestants have lost something in terms of need to withdraw, pray, be silent, be directed, and to have time to reflect on scripture in and extended way.
Daven
Apr 30, 2016 Daven rated it it was amazing
Wonderful memoir of an Ignatian retreat, with very meaningful and relevant reflections.
Carol
Jul 17, 2012 Carol rated it it was amazing
I have always been curious about and interested in the "Long Rettreat" which is a 30 days silent retreat (directed) using the spiritual exercises of Ignatius Loyola. This book goes day by day during the four "weeks" of the retreat and gave me a sense of both the power and strength of this process and the ways in which it differs strongly from my own spirituality. Mariani is an excellent reporter and observer and I recommend this to anyone who shares my interest.
Stephen Fahrig
May 31, 2007 Stephen Fahrig rated it it was amazing
Anyone who has ever made an Ignatian retreat or has considered doing so will be fascinated by Paul Mariani's book, in which he provides a detailed and brutally honest account of the high points and low points of his experience of the Ignatian exercises. I read this last fall for a class I took on Ignatian spirituality and found it highly interesting.
Allison
May 25, 2013 Allison rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography-read
Very interesting. I kind of got bogged down in places, but overall, I enjoyed reading about this man's personal retreat experience using the Exercises of St. Ignatius. I would recommend this book for anyone who is interested in spiritual biographies or who wants to know more about Ignatian Spirituality.
Steve Hannafin
It's embarrassing that I haven't read this book yet, because I am in it. This book is about a 30-day retreat that I was on at the same time as the author. I am mentioned by name on several pages. I'd like to read it soon and relive those thirty days.
Judy
Mar 06, 2009 Judy rated it really liked it
A wonderful 30 day silent retreat for the voyeur! Although vicarious, it was helpful and full of insights into this Ignatian exercise. Of course eavesdropping on the commentary of a poet made this especially rich.
Valerie
Mar 20, 2008 Valerie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wrote down some good quotes and good ideas I got from this book. But it was too long and drawn out for me.
Carolyn J.
Jul 07, 2010 Carolyn J. is currently reading it
Amazing so far.
Dong Tran
Dong Tran marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Jim Brown
Jim Brown rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2016
George wood
George wood is currently reading it
Jun 05, 2016
Donald
Donald marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Frank Delaere
Frank Delaere rated it liked it
May 02, 2016
Rachel Nyback
Rachel Nyback marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Susie Webster-toleno
Susie Webster-toleno rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Luz B
Luz B rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Kristin
Kristin rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2015
Clauson.Thomas
Clauson.Thomas rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2015
Robyn
Robyn rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2015
Katie
Katie rated it it was ok
Mar 31, 2016
J
J rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2015
Marie Pickard
Marie Pickard marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Kayla Gillis-LeBlanc
Kayla Gillis-LeBlanc marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015