Start by marking “Thirty Days: On Retreat with the Exercises of St. Ignatius” as Want to Read:
Thirty Days: On Retreat with the Exercises of St. Ignatius

Thirty Days: On Retreat with the Exercises of St. Ignatius

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  9 reviews
From the day Paul Mariani arrives at Eastern Point Retreat House to take part in the five-hundred-year-old Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius, he realizes that his expectations and assumptions about who he is, what he knows, and what he believes are about to change radically. In this profound memoir Mariani blends a brief life of St. Ignatius and meditations on the life o ...more
Published January 28th 2003 by Penguin Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Thirty Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thirty Days

Jill
I'm approaching the end of the book that, at cursory glance, wondered if it was worth reading. I've found that I can barely put it down and trying to discern what it is that draws me. "Deep calling onto deep," -- that quest for the deeper meaning. The author describes the natural world in such beautiful terms,(much like my fondness for Whitman's Specimen days), but it is really the slog of days, hour by hour, that compels, as I follow his reflections on the Gospels. I would be fascinated to know ...more
Erin Garlock
Having gone through Ignatias' exercises, I has hoping for a new perspective or some nugget of illumination. What I found was a book perhaps useful for some new to the exercises. There was a lot of rambling about the local scenery and coversations that had no tie back to matters of faith. I would label this book a memoir with a some amout of religion thrown in.

I also found the writing to be overly slick and eloquent. Normally I would consider this a quality, but in this case, it is a detriment a
Carol
I have always been curious about and interested in the "Long Rettreat" which is a 30 days silent retreat (directed) using the spiritual exercises of Ignatius Loyola. This book goes day by day during the four "weeks" of the retreat and gave me a sense of both the power and strength of this process and the ways in which it differs strongly from my own spirituality. Mariani is an excellent reporter and observer and I recommend this to anyone who shares my interest.
Stephen Fahrig
Anyone who has ever made an Ignatian retreat or has considered doing so will be fascinated by Paul Mariani's book, in which he provides a detailed and brutally honest account of the high points and low points of his experience of the Ignatian exercises. I read this last fall for a class I took on Ignatian spirituality and found it highly interesting.
Allison Woods
Very interesting. I kind of got bogged down in places, but overall, I enjoyed reading about this man's personal retreat experience using the Exercises of St. Ignatius. I would recommend this book for anyone who is interested in spiritual biographies or who wants to know more about Ignatian Spirituality.
Steve Hannafin
It's embarrassing that I haven't read this book yet, because I am in it. This book is about a 30-day retreat that I was on at the same time as the author. I am mentioned by name on several pages. I'd like to read it soon and relive those thirty days.
Judy
A wonderful 30 day silent retreat for the voyeur! Although vicarious, it was helpful and full of insights into this Ignatian exercise. Of course eavesdropping on the commentary of a poet made this especially rich.
Valerie
I wrote down some good quotes and good ideas I got from this book. But it was too long and drawn out for me.
Carolyn J.
Jul 07, 2010 Carolyn J. is currently reading it
Amazing so far.
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Christopher McCaffery
Christopher McCaffery marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Matthew Martin
Matthew Martin marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2013
Charlie Spencer-davis
Charlie Spencer-davis marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2013
Père Rakotoarimanana
Père Rakotoarimanana marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The Broken Tower: A Life of Hart Crane Dream Song: The Life of John Berryman Gerard Manley Hopkins: A Life Lost Puritan: A Life of Robert Lowell William Carlos Williams: A New World Naked