Start by marking “The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person” as Want to Read:
The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person

The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  726 Ratings  ·  91 Reviews
This time, its going to be different.

This time, you are going to diet successfully, lose weight with confidence, and, most importantly, keep it off forever.

That's because The Beck Diet Solution is the first book that teaches dieters how to apply the proven benefits of Cognitive Therapy to dieting and weight loss: how to think differently, change your eating behavior, and
Published February 3rd 2009 by Oxmoor House (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Beck Diet Solution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beck Diet Solution

Kelly
Apr 02, 2009 Kelly rated it really liked it
If this is how most people actually think... then no wonder I'm overweight. I have some serious work to do... but I am up to the challenge. The most important things I learned from this book that I will use during my weight-loss journey:
1. Being hungry is not an emergency. You can just tell yourself you will eat again at your next meal, it is not a big deal.
2. Make a plan and then stick to it, because cravings and desires for food are totally temporary, but the effects are very hard to get rid o
Joanna
May 24, 2011 Joanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who has never been able to diet successfully for 4 weeks straight? ME! Until now. I cannot stress to future readers how much this book has changed my thinking about eating. A year ago at 239 pounds, I started working at a weight loss program,I also had a personal trainer...I had all of these tools for my use but I would always go off and eat things I shouldn't...like buying McDonald's or any other fast food on the way home after a weigh in or going to a Taco-Hut (Pizza Hut/Taco Bell) and orderin ...more
Theresa
May 31, 2011 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I REALLY enjoyed this book. I learned a lot of information that I have written down and will be using!

For me, I've already lost 25lbs so I was not "starting" a diet with the book, I was just doing some reading to compliment my lifestyle change and get some information to help me finish this weight loss journey. Here are some of the things I thought anyone could use:

The idea of writing down advantages of staying healthy. I think it will be helpful when you get bored or depressed with a healthy l
Rides2far
Sep 30, 2012 Rides2far rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took a psychology class last summer and had to do a "self improvement" project. Chose this book off the list. Wasn't sure if I could actually lose any weight since I happened to be at what was the normal lowest end of my adult weight. I did the behavior modification parts of the diet religiously, but used my own eating plan that's just balanced meals, lots of vegetables, not much breads. 4 months later I've lost 13 lbs. and weigh what I weighed in the eighth grade. Just walking one mile a day fo ...more
Julia
Apr 19, 2008 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be very helpful in my quest to permanently change some of my not so helpful eating habits. What I liked most about the book is that it doesn't talk about what you should eat or not eat, but talks about your thinking, beliefs and attitudes about yourself and food that either help you or sabotage you in your efforts to eat healthy. The basic premise is that whether it's conscious or unconscious, any time we act, we have thoughts that proceed that act. And the key to alter beha ...more
Deborah
Jun 17, 2007 Deborah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting to lose weight
I just purchased this book and cannot seem to put it down. I never really knew before that I had to train myself to diet. This is not a meal plan book, but based on using cognitive therapy to think differently about food.

I would recommend this book to anyone looking for solutions on weight loss and keeping off the weight for life!
Autumn
Feb 25, 2015 Autumn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had this out from the library for a really long time and read most of it. I think the advice here is very solid, although I had problems with a few points. No one is going to find a diet coach. Sorry, not gonna happen. Most people aren't going to come up with two "diets" and use one as a backup when the first one fails. I liked quite a bit of the author's basic strategy, such as the response cards method, and the way she breaks down food issues into manageable chunks, thereby stripping the pow ...more
Lia
Jul 02, 2010 Lia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health, partial-reads
In my opinion, this book is poison. It's about how to use cognitive behavioral therapy to help chronically deprive yourself. I made it through very little of this book. The author doesn't refer to the people she has worked with as people. To her, everyone is a "dieter." I guess that makes me not part of her audience, since I don't "diet." But, man, really?! Are people "dieters" before they are human? Yucky.

Someone recommended this book as one that changes the way you relate to food--in a good wa
Christine Ray
May 19, 2015 Christine Ray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: great-nonfiction
The Beck Diet Solution is not one of the many,many diet books on the market that tries to tell you that if you "this" plan of eating, you will lose weight quickly and efficiently. Instead The Beck Diet Solution is written to be an adjunct to any healthy diet plan to address the thought processes that make so many of us who struggle with our weight to lose weight and then gain it back again. Judith Beck is a Cognitive Behavioral Therapist who applies of cognitive behavioral techniques to get the ...more
Shannon
Nov 23, 2011 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
well I have finished 42 days of this and overall yes it did work I lost a total of 12lbs but was it do to the training of my brain? or was it the fact that the book states to pick two diets and follow one and have the other as a back up in case the 1st one fails. I feel that it gave me a new way of approaching how I eat and it also gave me insight as to how I view other things in my life. I would suggest this to others if they were looking for something to go along with a diet
Gina Weibel
Jan 08, 2009 Gina Weibel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
After reading this book, I realized that I very likely have "sabotaging thoughts" that get in the way of most of the things I want to do (but don't quite have the willpower to accomplish.) Now that I'm aware of them, I can attack my weaknesses head-on.

I found this book to be an enlightening foray, not just into weightloss, but into the world of psychotherapy for self-improvement. I plan to apply these skills to other goals...not just weightloss!
Rose
Jul 29, 2008 Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone trying to lose weight
Recommended to Rose by: my diet counselor
This is the ONLY book you need to lose weight. It doesn't address what to eat but how you think about food. Every other diet book in the world is only complementary to this one!

While at times it's hard to focus & you truly believe you 'dont' need to do this' ~just do it! By the end of the book you have lost a couple pounds & reshaped your thinking ~definately a task and hopefully, I'll finally have learned to keep the weight off!
Rita Lott
Mar 25, 2010 Rita Lott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can say that this book has completely changed my life.
It changes the way you react to food really deep.
Even though i was never too fat, I admit that I have a horrendously obese mind, always obsessed with food, never knowing the boundaries of satisfaction and frugality.
This book made me so much better....and it can be aplied to other fields.
Just try it :)
Rhonda
Jun 16, 2008 Rhonda is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm learning how skinny people really do it. I like it so far. I've learned a lot about myself, and why I have the issues I do with food. I would recommend this to anyone.
L
Where has this book been hiding? It offers an intelligent way to approach dieting or eating healthy or slimming down or whatever you want to call it. I've employed several techniques already and I feel much better. I like the way Dr. Beck identifies sabotaging thoughts and counters them with positive messages that clearly identify what you really want to tell yourself.

This is classic CBT, of course, so I loved it - lots of index cards with reminders on them. I liked the way it was organized (sm
Keila
Feb 23, 2015 Keila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful. Good info. Not a fun read per se.
Lenore Webb
Aug 20, 2010 Lenore Webb rated it it was amazing
"I think therefore I am."

"You are what you eat."

"It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not."

"We have to learn to be our own best friends because we fall too easily into the trap of being our own worst enemies."

I am sure you have heard of these quotes and may have said them to yourself too. I know that I have had so hard to learn self speak. When I was much younger (age is creeping up on me), I would put a new self confidence quote on my closet door each night. Each
Allie
Jul 09, 2010 Allie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For years I've struggled with my weight -- only recently toying with the idea that maybe it was all "in my head" and how in the heck do I get out of my own way! Dr. Judith Beck goes throguh a day-by-day retraining of your thinking surrounding food and "dieting". With the help of this book I finally feel like I have the tools in place to live the life that I've set up for myself. Unlike my weight loss in the past, this time it actually does feel like it's going to be sustainable; getting easier a ...more
Elizabeth
Aug 04, 2009 Elizabeth marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
get from the library with the cd's

Table of Contents

Acknowledgments
Foreword: A New Application of Cognitive Therapy by Aaron T. Beck, M.D.
Introduction
day 1: Record the Advantages of Losing Weight
day 2: Pick Two Reasonable Diets
Yona
Nov 24, 2012 Yona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not a diet book. This book is a therapy program from one of the best in the biz. If you have problems with compulsive eating, emotional eating or binge eating disorder this program can help. As a compulsive and binge eater it has changed the way I think about how I relate to food and, therefore, it has changed my life. It isn't about losing weight, it is about developing a healthy relationship food and eating. This is about using a therapeutic program to address disordered eating.

Person
A.E. Shaw
Aug 03, 2013 A.E. Shaw rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013

Not specifically a diet book, this is a series of principles that can be worked through and applied to any diet, eating pattern or lifestyle shift. It addresses a huge variety of issues with eating, hunger, exercising, self-sabotaging behaviour and self-esteem and offers logical understanding of these issues, as well as strategies for breaking habits, coping with them, and moving past them.

Some of the structure of the book is rather repetitive, and the case studies I didn't find added to the rea
Leanne Keenoo
May 13, 2015 Leanne Keenoo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! So many 'lightbulb' moments for me.
This is a diet book with a difference as it looks at your emotions and reactions to your weight problem and uses cognitive therapy techniques to overcome it.
It doesn't tell you what to eat, you chose your own weight loss plan but gives you strategies and insight into why you behave in certain ways in some situations and how to change your way of thinking.
Very 'American' but I liked it a lot and plan to give it a go
Pixellle
Apr 09, 2015 Pixellle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Not really a diet book at all, but a method to change habits for good. Judith Beck is the daughter of Dr. Aaron Beck, who pioneered cognitive therapy. Cognitive therapy give you the tools to change your behavior. While this book is promoted as a diet book, its methods can be used for enacting any kind of positive change one wants. An excellent guide to learning how to break out of old habits that are standing in your way.
Elizabeth
Nov 10, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book. My main problem was that I thought it would help me develop a healthier relationship with food, but it was really mainly written for people who were dieting to lose weight. I already lost a little weight and I want to gain muscle, so all the talk about losing weight didn't really speak to me. I still got some ideas out of it and made notes that I will return to.
Barbara
Feb 01, 2015 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a typical "diet" book, this classic by Judith S. Beck addresses the mental side of the equation. I decided to give her program the full six week try, and actually went through the daily tasks/experiments she recommends. Some of them are things I'd already concluded after my many years of "working on" my weight issues, and had become a true believer in during my current maintenance.

Others were things I initially resisted but then found helpful. In the end, this is an approach I recommend to o
Heidi Buchwald
Jun 03, 2014 Heidi Buchwald rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So smart. This book helps us use cognitive behavioral strategies for changing our thinking about weight management. So realistic and helpful in promoting being intentional in the process of weight loss and maintaining.
Vanessa
Jan 21, 2010 Vanessa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
cognitive behavior theory works. i know this. but man, this book is really not for me. yes, i am having 'sabotaging thoughts'....really this book is for people who truly have a bad relationship with food and have no common sense at all. i have a little of the former and some of the latter.

there is no way, even in my pretty non-busy life, that i can try to incorporate all 42 tasks into my life, write little notes about them and then remember them all each day afterwards.

i really thought this boo
sleeps9hours
Good cognitive/behavioral treatment to lose weight and eat more healthfully. I don't agree with everything she says (like only eat sitting down), but a nice guide.
Cassidy Ostergren
May 19, 2015 Cassidy Ostergren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed how this book targeted the mind's strengths and weaknesses. I agree that dieting his more of a mental than physical struggle. Good advice overall!
Cindy
Dec 15, 2013 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are the type who likes to journal and keep charts, like graphs and meal plans, then you WILL lose weight with this book! According to the author, there is no other way. She may be right, lord knows I've tried every other way but hers.

I did like everything she had to say. I've read it all before but this book puts it all in one place for you. Instead of reading these tips in dribs and drabs in magazine or internet articles you can get the whole shebang in this book.

I read the book with ye
  • The Spectrum: A Scientifically Proven Program to Feel Better, Live Longer, Lose Weight, and Gain Health
  • Feeling Fat, Fuzzy or Frazzled?: A 3-Step Program to: Beat Hormone Havoc, Restore Thyroid, Adrenal, and Reproductive Balance, and Feel Better Fast!
  • Living Low Carb: Controlled-Carbohydrate Eating for Long-Term Weight Loss
  • The New Detox Diet: The Complete Guide for Lifelong Vitality with Recipes, Menus, and Detox Plans
  • The Fat Smash Diet: The Last Diet You'll Ever Need
  • The Spark: The 28-Day Breakthrough Plan for Losing Weight, Getting Fit, and Transforming Your Life
  • You: On a Diet: The Owner's Manual for Waist Management
  • The Best Life Diet
  • Life Disrupted: Getting Real About Chronic Illness in Your Twenties and Thirties
  • Dr. A's Habits of Health: The Path to Permanent Weight Control & Optimal Health
  • Losing Your Pounds of Pain
  • The Ultimate Weight Solution: The 7 Keys to Weight Loss Freedom
  • Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? When My Lab Tests Are Normal: A Revolutionary Breakthrough In Understanding Hashimoto's Disease and Hypothyroidism
  • The Biggest Loser Success Secrets: The Wisdom, Motivation, and Inspiration to Lose Weight--and Keep It Off!
  • ABS Diet for Women
  • Finally Thin!: How I Lost More Than 200 Pounds and Kept Them Off--and How You Can, Too
  • CrazyBusy: Overstretched, Overbooked, and About to Snap! Strategies for Coping in a World Gone ADD
  • Living Well with Autoimmune Disease: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You...That You Need to Know
Dr. Beck has written nearly 100 articles and chapters on different aspects of cognitive therapy. She is the author of the primary text in the field, which has been translated into 20 languages, as well as books, workbooks, and pamphlets for consumers.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., is an eminent clinician and educator who previously served as director of Clinical Services at the Center for Cognitive Thera
More about Judith S. Beck...

“To lose weight, I’m going to have to train myself to do what I need to do, not what I feel like doing at the moment.” 1 likes
“Feeling overwhelmed by the requirements of your diet     Feeling deprived     Feeling discouraged when you don’t lose weight consistently or lose as much weight as you had hoped     Feeling stressed by other life problems” 0 likes