Start by marking “The Seeing Stone (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Seeing Stone (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #2)

The Seeing Stone (The Spiderwick Chronicles #2)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  24,960 ratings  ·  868 reviews
we said no still you looked
now instead
someone gets cooked

The Grace kids are just beginning to get used to Aunt Lucinda's strange old mansion when Simon suddenly disappears. Jared and his sister have to rely on the help of a mischievous house boggart, a nasty bridge troll, and a loud-mouthed hobgoblin to get him back. Illustrations.
Published May 1st 2003 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Seeing Stone, please sign up.

Tara Calaby You might need to take a break in the middle, but I think I would have liked them a lot at six. There's some fairly scary content in this one, though,…moreYou might need to take a break in the middle, but I think I would have liked them a lot at six. There's some fairly scary content in this one, though, so it would depend a bit on how he handles that kind of thing. (less)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
Werewolves, WIzards, Vampires, ETC
37th out of 352 books — 284 voters
The Iron King by Julie KagawaThe Iron Daughter by Julie KagawaThe Iron Queen by Julie KagawaWicked Lovely by Melissa MarrNeed by Carrie Jones
Best YA Fairy Books
86th out of 214 books — 577 voters

More lists with this book...

Today my son caught my eye, then pointed conspiratorially to his sweat pants. Then he pointed to his shirt.

It took me a moment to realize that he was wearing all his clothes inside out. Because that's one of the ways you keep yourself safe from faerie magic.

So yeah. It think it's safe to say that these books have had an impact on him.

อานไดเพลินๆดี ความสนุกเทาเลมทีแลว ปกตินิยายเลมสองของชุด ความรูสึกทีอานจะไมไดแปลกใหมอีกแลวเหมือนตอนอานเลมแรก แตเลมนีคือโอเคเลยนะ นิยายสไปเดอรวิกนีจะคอยๆเผยปริศนาเรืองราวรวมถึงสิงมีชีวิตแปลกๆมาทีละนิดทีละหนอย ตอนทิงทายกทำไวไดนาติดตามดี

(view spoiler)
These are cute. It's really stupid that they come as short little nothing stories, though. All five of these would probably add up to half of one novel, so why they're separate is either a poor artistic choice or a really transparent way to make a buck.
Taylor Knight

I read the Spiderwick Chronicles back when I was quite young, maybe eight or nine. My sister and I read the crap out these books (we must have read them 15 times, no joke) and I've been wanting to revist this series and the wonderful fantasy world that Holly and Tony created for awhile now but I've finally gotten around to it.

The writing partnership of Holly Black and Tony DiTerlizzi is remarkable and this series is by far some of the most well written literature that I've ever read.
The three ma
Cheyenne Cumber
In the second book of “The Spiderwick” series, Jared, and his siblings, are exposed to even more creatures. The book begins with Jared coming home from detention, and Simon looking for his cat, named Tibbs. As his siblings go off to do there own thing, Jared goes up to the library, to look at the guide. Thumbtack then comes out from his hiding place, and he warns Jared to get rid of the book before something bad happens, which sooner or later it does. When Jared looked out the window he saw his ...more
I really like this series. It's very exciting - there's adventure and fantasy. However, I think it can be really scary for kids. Especially the part of the goblins in the woods with jagged teeth and long claws that eat cats & dogs and drag small children off into the woods. I think you really have to know your child's tolerance for "creepy" before you let them read this book. But a great series so far...
I don't plan to go into great detail about the storyline, because I'm a firm believer that a story can only be truly reviewed by a person's impression of the story. I think it would be a waste of time to go over the plot again...that's what the title page of the book is for.

Again, a fast paced and action pact adventure for Jared, Simon, and Mallory! It seems the price of having a book like The Guide has it's very unusual and dangerous consequences that they must face.

I was not disappointed with
Mindy Conde
Again, a fun and enjoyable little read. I'm a little irritated by some of these reviewers who are being so harsh about these books; the big complaint that it is just too short, that all of them could have been strung together into a single novel, I understand a bit, but disagree with. I think we're forgetting the audience here: children, young readers! I think this is perfect for them. It is short enough to not be intimidating, but long enough to resolve the story with some humor and messages to ...more
I can honestly say that this series is one that was really let down by the film adaptation. Back when the film was released I found myself excited for what was to come, only to be extremely disappointed with what we were given. If you’re someone who enjoyed the film then I really do suggest that you read the books to find out just how great they actually are rather than taking the film standpoint on it.

Filled with more action than the first book, the second in the series sees the siblings headin
Angela Twidwell
Jared, Simon, and Mallory are at it again in this follow up story of the Spiderwick Chronicles. Ignoring Thimbletack's warning Jared decided to continue in learning about the things in the field guide. They soon discover there is a way to see the magical things around them, 'the seeing stone'. This will provide them with the sight they need to see the creatures who will not willingly show themselves as Thimbletack does. Once again Thimbletack warns them of the dangers having the seeing stone wil ...more
Evelyn (devours and digests words)
When you merged Holly Black's writing with Tony DiTerlizzi's drawings, you get a product of pure awesomeness. I think these two combined make great works together.

Jared, Simon and Mallory began another adventure. This time, through the woods that surround their old, crumbling house.

We're introduced to a couple of the fey folks. Trolls, Sprites, Hobgoblin, griffin and them nasty goblins. Eek!

I like many things about The Spiderwick Chronicles. It has a good premise, and atmospheric details. T
Brandon St. Mark
I really like Hogsqueal, and I think he may actually be my favorite character in the series (mainly based on his appearance heh)

I still think the bind up is the best way to read this series though.
Kat (Lost in Neverland)
(view spoiler)
Karem Gutierrez
This books are so cute, i will never stop saying that. And I still love Jared, Simon and Mallory!
Ceci Raya
I really loved this story. I enjoy it a lot.
This book follows closely but not directly behind the first in the series. Jared, Simon and Mallory continue to figure out and learn what they can about the attention they have suddenly received from the magical creatures and try to find a way to stop them.

With their inability to see when they are under attack Jared discovers the Seeing Stone which gives the wearing the ability of Sight. Using this Jared and his brother and sister venture deeper into the faery realm just as it becomes more dange
Cait Grace
I'm totally reading these books for research...not because they're awesome and cute and magical and really fun. *ahem* Okay, so now that that's cleared up! A little review? I don't have a lot to say (gasp), just that it's like reading one chapter! Reading,'s finished. Lucky I borrowed two out.

Writing? It's very clear and easy to read. I find a few of the phrases redundant Mallory put Simon's SHOE in her pocket (when they found it while they were looking for h
Spoilers that aren't worth tagging in my opinion.

I actually quite like these short installments of The Spiderwick Chronicles. They're quick, and hold enough substance to keep me reading.

So in this installment, Simon is abducted by goblins. Cat-eating goblins. And so this book follows Simon's rescue by his ever-reliant twin, Jared and his older sister Mallory.

This book adds a new item to the Grace children's inventory. The Seeing Stone. With which as the name suggests they can pretty much see all
ใครบางจะไมอิจจาพีนองตระกูลเกรซ! นอกจากจะไดผจญภัยในบานเกาหลังใหญทีแสนลึกลับ ยังไดตาทิพยมาแบบบังเอิญสุดๆ ดวยความชวยเหลือของฮอบกอบบลินผูเกือบๆ จะใจดีอีกตางหาก ไดเหนสิงทีเพิงรูวามี แมกระทังเปลือกไม หิน หรือมอสกยังมีหนาตา ไดเหนอะไรแบบนี...เปนใครมันจะอดใจไมออกไปผจญภัยไหว! ...more
Again, super short book. Not much to review. I wouldn't recommend kids under the age of 10 read it though. It could be scary, and it spoils something that might upset younger kids.
I enjoyed the book though :)
There's nothing more haunting then a goblin campsite, I tell you. They have all kinds of... interesting rituals.
Christian Romo
this book starts where the first one ended which i strongly dislike. now-a-days series are intended to give the authors fat pockets rather then a great "long" book although i sound like a ranting child i must say the base of the story is genius. i remember reading The Seeing Stone in 4th grade, but when i freshened up on it like 3 years ago I totally asked myself "why did i find this book so interesting" then i got back into my 4th grade mentality and i fell in love all over again. i would recom ...more
Really goood adventure book
Well, now there is finally some action going on! Book one started VERY slowly. In book two we're right in the middle of the story. I liked that so much better.
What I really like about this series are the new and sometimes very funny ideas. I really enjoyed the idea of the goblins being born without teeth and having to find an alternative. I really liked Hogsqueal's method!
The only thing I found a little weird was how do the goblins not know there is a troll living in the river when it's basicall
While this one was just as short as the first and for younger readers this should seem less daunting than other titles, the plot of this story seems to encompass a whole lot more than the last. It still felt like a short story, or a small section of a longer book, but it had a more defined class story arc than the first book in this series if that makes any sense. I'm starting to feel sorry for Simon's pets because the kid needs to stop adopting them if he's going to be involved with the world o ...more
The second novel in the Spiderwick Chronicles. The Grace children are back for another adventure; this time Simon is taken by goblins while trying to find his cat, Tibbs. Now it’s up to Jared to save his twin. With the help of their older sister, Mallory they end up going through the forest to find him. Only with the Sight can the children see the goblins. Using the seeing stone, this gives Jared the Sight and helps them to navigate through the goblins and save Jared. But of course everything is ...more
Feb 18, 2015 Kyra added it
In the second book of “The Spiderwick” series, Jared, and his siblings, are exposed to evil creatures. The book begins with Jared coming home from detention, and Simon looking for his cat, named Tibbs. As his siblings go off to do there own thing, Jared goes up to the library, to look at the guide. When Jared looked out the window he saw his brother being dragged to a mysterious unseen creature. Jared cannot see the creatures, until Thumbtack takes him to the seeing stone. Once Jared and Mallory ...more
Jared is finding his new home as prone to trouble as his old---more so, now that he has things like brownies and goblins to deal with. When Simon gets kidnapped, it's up to Jared and Mallory to save him. But how can they find creatures they can't even see?

Although short, the story overflows with strange creatures and the zany adventures they bring. Between goblins, trolls, hobgoblins, and, of course, Thimbletack, the Grace children bounce from one particular set of madness to the next. The illus
Julie Decker
Jared and his brother and sister have tentatively tamed the angry faerie presence in their home--his name is Thimbletack--but he would like Jared to destroy the Field Guide book he found that tells him secrets of the faerie world, and Jared doesn't want to part with it. Thimbletack leaves him an ominous warning about how there is a price for disobeying. And soon, when he's looking for his missing cat, he finds his twin brother has been kidnapped. He and his sister Mallory have to go look for the ...more
Hestia Istiviani
Sudah punya box set The Spiderwick Chronicles sejak duduk di bangku SMP (sekarang aku sudah semester 6!) namun baru sempat membaca kembali (iya, aku berhenti setelah baca buku yang pertama). Itupun karena aku berpartisipasi dalam Book Club Indonesia Read-A-Thon #BCIDReadAThon. Aku sengaja memilih tantangan yang ketiga: membaca habis satu seri selama Read-A-Thon berlangsung yakni mulai tanggal 18 hingga 20 Juli.

Buku ini sangat ringan, dengan tingkat ketegangan (bagiku) yang biasa saja. Memang, bu
Why you wanted to read it. 5 35 Dec 15, 2011 11:22AM
  • Kenny and the Dragon
  • How to Speak Dragonese (How to Train Your Dragon, #3)
  • The Tenth City (The Land of Elyon, #3)
  • Corby Flood (Far-Flung Adventures, #2)
  • Toothiana: Queen of the Tooth Fairy Armies
  • High Wire (Edgar & Ellen, #5)
  • Awful End (Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #1)
  • You Wish (The Misadventures of Benjamin Bartholomew Piff, #1)
  • Pure Dead Brilliant (Pure Dead #3)
  • Theodosia and the Staff of Osiris (Theodosia Throckmorton, #2)
  • The Flower Fairies (Fairy Realm, #2)
  • Up and Down the Scratchy Mountains
  • Wizardology
Holly Black is a best-selling author of contemporary fantasy novels for kids, teens, and adults. She is the author of the Modern Faerie Tale series (Tithe, Valiant, and Ironside), The Spiderwick Chronicles (with Tony DiTerlizzi), and The Good Neighbors graphic novels (with Ted Naifeh) The Poison Eaters and Other Stories, a collection of short fiction, and The Curse Worker series (White Cat, Red Gl ...more
More about Holly Black...

The Spiderwick Chronicles (5 books)
  • The Field Guide (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1)
  • Lucinda's Secret (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #3)
  • The Ironwood Tree (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #4)
  • The Wrath of Mulgarath (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #5)
Tithe (Modern Faerie Tales, #1) The Field Guide (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1) The Coldest Girl in Coldtown Ironside (Modern Faerie Tales, #3) White Cat (Curse Workers, #1)