Start by marking “The Seeing Stone (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Seeing Stone (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #2)

The Seeing Stone (The Spiderwick Chronicles #2)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  27,590 Ratings  ·  946 Reviews
we said no still you looked
now instead
someone gets cooked

The Grace kids are just beginning to get used to Aunt Lucinda's strange old mansion when Simon suddenly disappears. Jared and his sister have to rely on the help of a mischievous house boggart, a nasty bridge troll, and a loud-mouthed hobgoblin to get him back.
Published May 1st 2003 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Seeing Stone, please sign up.

Tara Calaby You might need to take a break in the middle, but I think I would have liked them a lot at six. There's some fairly scary content in this one, though,…moreYou might need to take a break in the middle, but I think I would have liked them a lot at six. There's some fairly scary content in this one, though, so it would depend a bit on how he handles that kind of thing. (less)
The Iron King by Julie KagawaThe Iron Daughter by Julie KagawaThe Iron Queen by Julie KagawaWicked Lovely by Melissa MarrNeed by Carrie Jones
Best YA Fairy Books
82nd out of 246 books — 602 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
Werewolves, WIzards, Vampires, ETC
40th out of 394 books — 335 voters

More lists with this book...

Patrick
Aug 24, 2015 Patrick rated it it was amazing
Today my son caught my eye, then pointed conspiratorially to his sweat pants. Then he pointed to his shirt.

It took me a moment to realize that he was wearing all his clothes inside out. Because that's one of the ways you keep yourself safe from faerie magic.

So yeah. It think it's safe to say that these books have had an impact on him.

P
Aug 08, 2015 P rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
อานไดเพลินๆดี ความสนุกเทาเลมทีแลว ปกตินิยายเลมสองของชุด ความรูสึกทีอานจะไมไดแปลกใหมอีกแลวเหมือนตอนอานเลมแรก แตเลมนีคือโอเคเลยนะ นิยายสไปเดอรวิกนีจะคอยๆเผยปริศนาเรืองราวรวมถึงสิงมีชีวิตแปลกๆมาทีละนิดทีละหนอย ตอนทิงทายกทำไวไดนาติดตามดี

(view spoiler)
Scott
Oct 15, 2007 Scott rated it liked it
These are cute. It's really stupid that they come as short little nothing stories, though. All five of these would probably add up to half of one novel, so why they're separate is either a poor artistic choice or a really transparent way to make a buck.
Taylor Knight

I read the Spiderwick Chronicles back when I was quite young, maybe eight or nine. My sister and I read the crap out these books (we must have read them 15 times, no joke) and I've been wanting to revist this series and the wonderful fantasy world that Holly and Tony created for awhile now but I've finally gotten around to it.

The writing partnership of Holly Black and Tony DiTerlizzi is remarkable and this series is by far some of the most well written literature that I've ever read.
The three ma
Cait • A Page With A View
Apr 11, 2016 Cait • A Page With A View rated it really liked it
I'm definitely here for the aesthetic of their house.
Cheyenne Cumber
May 01, 2014 Cheyenne Cumber rated it really liked it
In the second book of “The Spiderwick” series, Jared, and his siblings, are exposed to even more creatures. The book begins with Jared coming home from detention, and Simon looking for his cat, named Tibbs. As his siblings go off to do there own thing, Jared goes up to the library, to look at the guide. Thumbtack then comes out from his hiding place, and he warns Jared to get rid of the book before something bad happens, which sooner or later it does. When Jared looked out the window he saw his ...more
Colleen
Jul 23, 2009 Colleen rated it really liked it
I really like this series. It's very exciting - there's adventure and fantasy. However, I think it can be really scary for kids. Especially the part of the goblins in the woods with jagged teeth and long claws that eat cats & dogs and drag small children off into the woods. I think you really have to know your child's tolerance for "creepy" before you let them read this book. But a great series so far...
Courtney
Sep 02, 2015 Courtney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I don't plan to go into great detail about the storyline, because I'm a firm believer that a story can only be truly reviewed by a person's impression of the story. I think it would be a waste of time to go over the plot again...that's what the title page of the book is for.

Again, a fast paced and action pact adventure for Jared, Simon, and Mallory! It seems the price of having a book like The Guide has it's very unusual and dangerous consequences that they must face.

I was not disappointed with
Mindy Conde
Mar 08, 2013 Mindy Conde rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Again, a fun and enjoyable little read. I'm a little irritated by some of these reviewers who are being so harsh about these books; the big complaint that it is just too short, that all of them could have been strung together into a single novel, I understand a bit, but disagree with. I think we're forgetting the audience here: children, young readers! I think this is perfect for them. It is short enough to not be intimidating, but long enough to resolve the story with some humor and messages to ...more
Kat (Lost in Neverland)
Sep 09, 2013 Kat (Lost in Neverland) rated it it was ok
Shelves: animal-murder
(view spoiler)
Bekah
Read as part of #ReadKidsLit

Even better than the first, very fun adventure, loved the teamwork between Mallory and Jared. I listened to the audiobook version and am still giggling over the Kermit the Frog voice that the narrator (Mark Hamill) gave to the hobgoblin! Anxious to continue, but have to wait in line.
Siobhan
Oct 12, 2014 Siobhan rated it really liked it
I can honestly say that this series is one that was really let down by the film adaptation. Back when the film was released I found myself excited for what was to come, only to be extremely disappointed with what we were given. If you’re someone who enjoyed the film then I really do suggest that you read the books to find out just how great they actually are rather than taking the film standpoint on it.

Filled with more action than the first book, the second in the series sees the siblings headin
Brooke
Dec 24, 2015 Brooke rated it really liked it
These books are just charming! :)
Angela Twidwell
Feb 25, 2015 Angela Twidwell rated it it was ok
Jared, Simon, and Mallory are at it again in this follow up story of the Spiderwick Chronicles. Ignoring Thimbletack's warning Jared decided to continue in learning about the things in the field guide. They soon discover there is a way to see the magical things around them, 'the seeing stone'. This will provide them with the sight they need to see the creatures who will not willingly show themselves as Thimbletack does. Once again Thimbletack warns them of the dangers having the seeing stone wil ...more
Evelyn (devours and digests words)
When you merged Holly Black's writing with Tony DiTerlizzi's drawings, you get a product of pure awesomeness. I think these two combined make great works together.

Jared, Simon and Mallory began another adventure. This time, through the woods that surround their old, crumbling house.

We're introduced to a couple of the fey folks. Trolls, Sprites, Hobgoblin, griffin and them nasty goblins. Eek!

I like many things about The Spiderwick Chronicles. It has a good premise, and atmospheric details. T
Brandon St Mark
Jan 24, 2015 Brandon St Mark rated it really liked it
I really like Hogsqueal, and I think he may actually be my favorite character in the series (mainly based on his appearance heh)

I still think the bind up is the best way to read this series though.
zalatawabooks

Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

This one was much more fun and had its fill of action. I am starting to think each book is like a part or adventure with the Grace kids as they unravel the secret world of the faeries. I especially like how there isn't infodumps, but rather gradually learning more and more about the world. These books are quick and I really wish I had the next three books for the series. Good thing I requested them from the library early- just have to wait to pick them up:D

Do I recomm
Karem Gutierrez
Aug 15, 2015 Karem Gutierrez rated it really liked it
This books are so cute, i will never stop saying that. And I still love Jared, Simon and Mallory!
Ceci Raya
May 22, 2016 Ceci Raya rated it liked it
Shelves: maddening, 2015-reads
I really loved this story. I enjoy it a lot.
Amy
Aug 15, 2012 Amy rated it liked it
This book follows closely but not directly behind the first in the series. Jared, Simon and Mallory continue to figure out and learn what they can about the attention they have suddenly received from the magical creatures and try to find a way to stop them.

With their inability to see when they are under attack Jared discovers the Seeing Stone which gives the wearing the ability of Sight. Using this Jared and his brother and sister venture deeper into the faery realm just as it becomes more dange
Cait (Paper Fury)
I'm totally reading these books for research...not because they're awesome and cute and magical and really fun. *ahem* Okay, so now that that's cleared up! A little review? I don't have a lot to say (gasp), just that it's like reading one chapter! Reading, reading....BOOM...it's finished. Lucky I borrowed two out.

Writing? It's very clear and easy to read. I find a few of the phrases redundant though...like Mallory put Simon's SHOE in her pocket (when they found it while they were looking for h
Farhin
Jul 30, 2014 Farhin rated it really liked it
Spoilers that aren't worth tagging in my opinion.

I actually quite like these short installments of The Spiderwick Chronicles. They're quick, and hold enough substance to keep me reading.

So in this installment, Simon is abducted by goblins. Cat-eating goblins. And so this book follows Simon's rescue by his ever-reliant twin, Jared and his older sister Mallory.

This book adds a new item to the Grace children's inventory. The Seeing Stone. With which as the name suggests they can pretty much see all
Kristen
Apr 19, 2016 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook-reads
This one had a little bit more action than the first in the series, and we get to meet more fae creatures, as well. Really these books could be combined into one big book, but the length of these are great for young and/or reluctant readers. I wish there was a little more going on in each one, but that might just be the reader in me who is used to YA.
Violante
Yes, I want to read the five parts because I don't feel like I read the entire book. Or maybe that's my pathetic excuse to continue with the series. Because I admit it, since I saw the movie I want to read it.

In "The seeing stone" we are still with a poor development and stereotypical characters, with ridiculous reactions and absent parents. We could see a little about the fairy world, and I have to admit it, it's sound amazing. Creepy and beautiful, very interesting. And I really want to know
Rabbittÿ
Feb 06, 2015 Rabbittÿ rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
ใครบางจะไมอิจจาพีนองตระกูลเกรซ! นอกจากจะไดผจญภัยในบานเกาหลังใหญทีแสนลึกลับ ยังไดตาทิพยมาแบบบังเอิญสุดๆ ดวยความชวยเหลือของฮอบกอบบลินผูเกือบๆ จะใจดีอีกตางหาก ไดเหนสิงทีเพิงรูวามี แมกระทังเปลือกไม หิน หรือมอสกยังมีหนาตา ไดเหนอะไรแบบนี...เปนใครมันจะอดใจไมออกไปผจญภัยไหว! ...more
Madi
Jan 05, 2015 Madi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Again, super short book. Not much to review. I wouldn't recommend kids under the age of 10 read it though. It could be scary, and it spoils something that might upset younger kids.
I enjoyed the book though :)
Martin Yankov
Mar 16, 2016 Martin Yankov rated it liked it
The series keeps getting better! The story started out slow, but then it just grabs you. It's more like a short story than an actual novel, but it's fun. Great for kids!
Alberto
There's nothing more haunting then a goblin campsite, I tell you. They have all kinds of... interesting rituals.
Christian Romo
Sep 19, 2013 Christian Romo rated it liked it
this book starts where the first one ended which i strongly dislike. now-a-days series are intended to give the authors fat pockets rather then a great "long" book although i sound like a ranting child i must say the base of the story is genius. i remember reading The Seeing Stone in 4th grade, but when i freshened up on it like 3 years ago I totally asked myself "why did i find this book so interesting" then i got back into my 4th grade mentality and i fell in love all over again. i would recom ...more
Jette
Mar 16, 2016 Jette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sehr süß und fantasievoll!
Why you wanted to read it. 5 36 Dec 15, 2011 11:22AM
  • Kenny and the Dragon
  • How to Cheat a Dragon's Curse (How to Train Your Dragon, #4)
  • The Tenth City (The Land of Elyon, #3)
  • Fergus Crane (Far-Flung Adventures, #1)
  • Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2)
  • Theodosia and the Staff of Osiris (Theodosia Throckmorton, #2)
  • Pure Dead Brilliant (Pure Dead #3)
  • The Courage to Choose (W.I.T.C.H. Chapter Books, #15)
  • Cry of the Wolf (Avalon: Web of Magic #3)
  • You Wish (The Misadventures of Benjamin Bartholomew Piff, #1)
  • The Chestnut Soldier (Snow Spider,  #3)
  • The Peskie Spell (Fairy Realm, #9)
  • Wizardology
Holly Black is a best-selling author of contemporary fantasy novels for kids, teens, and adults. She is the author of the Modern Faerie Tale series (Tithe, Valiant, and Ironside), The Spiderwick Chronicles (with Tony DiTerlizzi), and The Good Neighbors graphic novels (with Ted Naifeh) The Poison Eaters and Other Stories, a collection of short fiction, and The Curse Worker series (White Cat, Red Gl ...more
More about Holly Black...

The Spiderwick Chronicles (5 books)
  • The Field Guide (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1)
  • Lucinda's Secret (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #3)
  • The Ironwood Tree (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #4)
  • The Wrath of Mulgarath (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #5)